The Black And The White Balloon (1)
Magnus Duke McDowell

 

A Screenplay By E. Vana

An Underground Artists Production

{PART ONE}

 

 

 

Opening Credits

 

 

We look at an empty, black screen. "In the Hall of the Mountain King" plays in the background. Soon, the opening credits start to scroll by.

 

When all of that is complete, it should have taken about one full minute, but it doesn’t really matter too much.

 

FADE OUT:

 

 

The Dream

 

FADE IN:

 

INT. BASEMENT DREAM SEQUENCE-DARK

 

 

We look at a young boy’s feet, his name is WOLFGANG.

 

He is walking making a tap, tap, tap noise.

 

We see his feet from the front and from the side.

 

We look at him from the front, and notice that he is not actually moving.

 

We also look at him from the back and from the side further away.

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. BEDROOM-EARLY MORNING

 

 

All of the sudden we’re in a bedroom, Wolfgang is having a bad dream, and he wakes up sweaty and somewhat sick. He looks around, figuring where he is. He stretches.

 

In all there is about six different frames, each one is approximately ten seconds long.

 

Narration

 

CUT TO:

 

INT/EXT, ? -LIGHT

 

 

A black and white balloon floats in front of us, and in a matter of seconds a narration begins.

NARRATION

My name is Wolfgang. I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with my dad’s friend, because my parents died not too long ago, I don’t like to talk about that. I’m thirteen years old and I go to Washington Middle School, it’s a good school but the kids there are real idiots, so I guess it’s not that great of a school. I used to read and watch a lot of movies, but I don’t have any money or anything. I don’t enjoy much anymore, I used to have a lot of friends and family in town, but they either died or moved away. Some of the things I do like to do are read and write, but that’s really kind of pointless because nobody cares about it. Once and a while I have these strange dreams, they don’t mean anything I think so I’m not going to explain them in much detail, maybe some other time I will tell you more about them. We don’t have any money because my guardian spends most of it on liquor. My life used to be a lot better.

 

After the narration, stare at the balloon until a minute or so is up.

 

The Jerks

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. PARK. DAY

 

 

We are at some park. Kids are screaming and shouting and having a heck of a time in the background.

 

Wolfgang is sitting on the grass reading a book. He is deep within thought and enjoying the read.

 

Soon, a punk and his crony come up to him like they’re really cool. We’ll call the punk SAM and the other kid (the follower) GREG.

 

They disturb his reading.

 

SAM

Hey Wolfy, oh yeah.

 

GREG

 

(Kind of in the background)

I think you’re really smart, reading that big long book.

 

 

Wolfgang ignores them totally and keeps reading.

 

SAM

Good book? Are you really reading it?

 

GREG

 

(Same as before)

Yeah, good book?

 

SAM

Do you like to read?

 

GREG

Can't you talk? I think he's a faggot or something.

 

 

They laugh.

 

WOLFGANG

It’s really a very good book, you should read it sometime.

 

SAM

Yeah, I would except it’s a book for gays probably, it's a waste of time anyway.

 

WOLFGANG

So is standing here trying to make fun of me.

 

GREG

You're cool dude. Really, the coolest fag I know.

 

WOLFGANG

Why don’t you go away?

 

SAM

What?

 

WOLFGANG

It’s very annoying trying to talk to you. And I am trying to read. So leave. I never bothered anyone. And two boys that seem to cling to each other for a suspiciously long time shouldn't call people fags.

 

 

He says all of this without ever looking up from his book.

 

SAM

 

(Becoming edgy for no apparent reason)

You wanna’ fight punk?

 

GREG

 

(Mimic)

Yeah, wanna’ fight fag? I'll kick your ass right now.

 

WOLFGANG

No, not really, you'd just kick my ass, get in trouble, and it would be a waste of our time, so just leave.

 

 

Sam takes his book and throws it.

 

 

This really makes Wolfgang mad. He stands up, brushes off the back of his pants, makes it look like he’s going to go and pick up his book calmly. Instead he attacks Sam and punches him in the face. He falls, while trying to hold back tears.

 

Adult

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. SUBURBS, SIDE WALK-DAY

 

 

Wolfgang is looking at a letter from the school about the fight. He is walking home.

 

He looks across the street at some skateboarding dudes. They see Wolfgang and run across the street without looking.

 

They approach him with their skateboards under their arms.

 

They’re talking to each other and pretending like they don’t notice Wolfgang coming towards them. We’ll call the punks JOE, STEVE, and ANDY.

 

JOE

Look at that loser.

 

STEVE

Let’s shove this board up this kid’s ass.

 

ANDY

Ha, ha, ha.

 

 

Wolfgang tries to walk in between them but Joe shoves him onto the ground.

 

WOLFGANG

What was that for? What the hell is wrong with people?

 

JOE

What’d you say punk?

 

STEVE

C’mon, let’s kick the crap out of him.

 

 

Wolfgang stands up and starts to walk away, but Andy grabs him and turns him around.

 

ANDY

Where do you think you’re goin’ kid?

 

 

Joe walks up and pushes him; Wolfgang pushes him back.

 

WOLFGANG

Knock it off!

 

JOE

What are you gonna’ do jerk?

 

WOLFGANG

 

(Restraining tears)

Buy you some new pants that actually fit?

 

JOE

That’s it!

 

He drops his skateboard.

 

 

All of the sudden a lady in a car pulls up to the kids and yells at them.

 

LADY

Get off my lawn! Go home you stupid punks! Get the hell outa’ here!

 

 

She pulls into the driveway. The punks run away, Joe does the "suck it" sign.

 

WOLFGANG

 

(Still standing there)

Thanks ma’am.

 

LADY

Piss off smart-ass, or I’ll call you’re parents!

 

 

He walks away ashamed.

A New Relationship

CUT TO:

INT. LIVING ROOM-DAY

 

Wolfgang is sitting in his living room spread out on the couch. He is reading a TV guide that expired several weeks ago.

All of the sudden the doorbell rings, Wolfgang stands up to answer it. He heads downstairs to where the front door is located.

CUT TO:

INT. DOWNSTAIRS-DAY

 

He opens the door without a smile on his face.

A young nerdy girl about the same age as Wolfgang is standing there, she seems anxious to meet who ever she came to meet. Wolfgang talks to her through the screen porch door, he still doesn't seem too anxious about anything.

GIRL

Hi...is Wolfgang there?

 

WOLFGANG

That's me.

GIRL

 

(Obnoxious)

Ha, ha. Hi, nice to meet you.

 

WOLFGANG

Yeah, and you are?

 

GIRL

I just moved in down the block. My father told me to meet all of our neighbors. Isn't that funny? What school do you go to? Is it Washington?

 

WOLFGANG

Yeah, it is, why, is that where you're going?

 

GIRL

Uh huh. Are you in the eighth grade now?

 

WOLFGANG

Sure, after summer you mean?

 

GIRL

Yes. That's what grade I'll be in. What a coincidence! You know what would be really funny?

WOLFGANG

What?

 

GIRL

If we ended up having the same teacher, or be in all of the same classes.

 

WOLFGANG

Yeah, I guess that would be pretty funny.

 

GIRL

Ha, ha. Well, nice meeting you. Maybe you could show me around town sometime. I'm just brand new here remember! Bye, bye!

 

WOLFGANG

See ya.

 

The nerdy girl trots away laughing. We can tell that she is somewhat obsessed with our poor little Wolfgang.

He closes the door and watches the girl leave the area through the window.

Wolfgang walks back upstairs to where he was sitting before.

 

INT. LIVING ROOM

 

As soon as he reaches the upstairs zone, he shuts the door behind him, and goes to the upper front porch. Opening the front porch door, the girl is standing outside waving at him.

Wolfgang waves back and she prances off.

The Dream

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. BASEMENT, DREAM SEQUENCE-DARK

 

 

Again like in the beginning each frame would be about ten seconds.

 

First frame we look at his entire body, he is always dressed in black. Listen to his loud footsteps, tap, tap, and tap.

 

After that we look at the wall, but we can still hear Wolfgang’s footsteps in the background.

 

All of the sudden a figure in a black cloak appears, we can’t see what his face looks like or anything.

 

The next frame is Wolfgang seeing the specter and backing away except he isn’t moving.

 

He wakes up from day dreaming and the guardian is screaming his head off because he found the letter from school.

 

And that is the end of that scene.

 

The Guardian

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. WOLFGANG’S HOME, LIVING ROOM-DAY

 

 

We’re in the same place as the last frame of the dream sequence. Except this is real life.

 

His guardian is screaming his face off at Wolfgang because of the letter. We’ll call him FRANK.

 

FRANK

What the heck is your problem? Do you think that you can just mess around gettin’ in fights and I won’t give a damn? No! What’s your excuse for hittin’ the kid? Huh? Huh? I wanna’ hear it! This makes me look like a bad parent!

 

WOLFGANG

He deserved it.

 

FRANK

What? What did you say?

 

WOLFGANG

 

(Extremely stressed out)

I said he deserved it!

 

FRANK

Oh, he did he? Well maybe you deserve one too, eh?

 

WOLFGANG

He threw my book in the mud.

 

FRANK

Oh no, he threw your pansy little book? Do normal things and maybe other kids will like you! Didn’t your dad teach you anything? Hello?

 

WOLFGANG

This wouldn’t have happened if he were still here.

 

FRANK

Well it’s a shame he isn’t! He could smack some sense into you! Now I’ve gotta’ sign this damn thing! What do you have to say for yourself? Huh?

 

WOLFGANG

Nothing, could you stop yelling?

 

FRANK

What?

 

WOLFGANG

 

(Quietly)

I asked if you would stop screaming at me.

 

FRANK

What? Don’t you dare tell me what to do, ever! What if this kid needs dentures or something? How am I supposed to pay for that?

 

WOLFGANG

 

(Honest)

Stop wasting all our money on liquor?

 

FRANK

I never spend money on liquor!

 

WOLFGANG

Then why are you always drunk? Do you get it for free?

 

FRANK

 

(Defensively)

That’s none of your business! Would you talk to your dad like that?

 

WOLFGANG

No, he never got drunk.

 

FRANK

Then don’t talk to me like that!

 

WOLFGANG

You’re not my dad.

 

FRANK

Oh, that’s it! You sign the damn thing for me! Make yourself some dinner and go to bed, I don’t even want to see you for the rest of the day!

 

 

A Very Nerdy Relationship

CUT TO:

INT. KITCHEN-DAY

 

Frank is sitting at the kitchen table eating a huge sandwich. There's puss and all sorts of crap flying out of it onto the table.

Without stopping to chew his food, Frank shouts:

FRANK

Hey! Wolf-boy! Get me a goddamn beer!

 

No answer.

CUT TO:

INT. BEDROOM-DAY

 

Wolfgang is lying on his bed watching the television. He's actually not really watching anything, but flipping through the channels. He goes through them several times and lies the remote to rest.

Frank is still yelling in from the other room. But someone who just doesn’t give a damn ignores him.

Wolfgang hears the doorbell ring, he perks up and runs out of the room to answer it.

CUT TO:

INT. KITCHEN-DAY

FRANK

Hey, leaky! Get me a beer!

 

Wolfgang stumbles in, and glances once at the dirty man sitting down at the table.

WOLFGANG

Don't worry, I'll get it!

 

FRANK

That's a good little boy...

 

Wolfgang walks past him and into the dining room, and then into the living room.

FRANK

Hey!

 

CUT TO:

INT. DOWNSTAIRS-DAY

 

Wolfgang flings open the door, looking at who could be standing there, it's the Girl again. This time she's still nerdy, but not nearly as bad as the last time.

GIRL

Hello again! Sorry to bother you, but my dad said to go play with my new friends.

 

WOLFGANG

Aw.. Isn’t that nice.

GIRL

Ha, ha. Is it okay if I come in?

 

Wolfgang looks around, nervous.

WOLFGANG

Uh...no, actually it's not, my dad you see, is very sick, and I don't want you to catch anything.....

 

GIRL

Ha! That's okay, I won't catch anything, I'm pretty good about that kind a stuff.

 

WOLFGANG

No, really, I don't want you to come in. It's deadly.

 

GIRL

Okay, whatever you say cutie.

 

WOLFGANG

 

(Relieved)

Why don't we go for a walk? I could show you some of the things on North Avenue?

GIRL

All right. That'd be fun. Why don't you go tell your father...? Is it okay if you leave him alone?

 

WOLFGANG

He's sound asleep, he won't even notice.

 

QUICK CUT TO:

 

INT. KITCHEN-DAY

 

 

Frank is lying with his face flat down on the table asleep.

 

QUICK CUT BACK:

 

INT. DOWNSTAIRS-DAY

 

WOLFGANG

Well, let me get some shoes on and then we can go.

 

GIRL

Okay deary.

 

Wolfgang turns around and bends over to put on and tie his shoes. He glances back at the Girl who gives him a furtive little wave. He smiles like he's babysitting a two-year-old. Once he's done he pulls out keys from his pocket and locks the door behind him as he steps out.

CUT TO:

EXT. OUTSIDE OF WOLFGANG'S HOUSE-DAY

 

The girl is standing right next to Wolfgang, crowding him and barely letting him close the door to his house. She motions for him to old her hand but he kind of ignores it.

GIRL

Ha, ha. So how long have you lived in this neighborhood?

 

WOLFGANG

Shall we walk?

 

GIRL

Sure.

 

WOLFGANG

Well, I've lived here ever since I was born.

GIRL

Really? That's amazing. I come from Chicago or some weird city like that.

 

WOLFGANG

Wow, Chicago, that's one of the biggest cities in America right?

 

GIRL

Yeah, but it's kind of dirty, and I didn't like it. That's why we moved here. This place is nice and clean isn't it?

 

WOLFGANG

Pretty clean I guess. I never really thought of that.

 

 

The two talk as they walk off into the distance, several people drive by giving them weird faces. He doesn't know why.

 

GIRL

You'll have to introduce me to some of your friends some time, I'd really like to know most of the people around here, that'd be fun. I'm sure you know all of the people here. You're such a nice boy.

WOLFGANG

 

(Impressed)

Yeah, I know some of the people, but maybe some other time, yeah, a lot of the people that live here are on vacation for the summer, but they should be back soon.

 

GIRL

Who lives there?

 

 

She points at a house. Wolfgang makes up an answer.

 

WOLFGANG

That would be...uh.... Mr. and Mrs. Godfrey's home, they're very nice old people.

 

GIRL

Old people are funny.

 

WOLFGANG

Huh...yeah, they are pretty funny.

 

 

The Comic

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. KITCHEN-DIM

 

 

Wolfgang is sitting at the kitchen table looking at the wall.

 

He finally gets sick of that and stands up. He looks down at the letter on the table.

 

He picks it up, and throws it into the trash bin.

 

WOLFGANG

 

(To himself.)

Bastards.

 

 

He walks out of the room and heads upstairs, then proceeds to walk into his bedroom in the corner.

 

It’s a pretty nice bedroom actually. He sits down on one of the couches and flips on the television. On it is some lame show so he shuts it off.

 

Tired of that, he stands up, stretches out, and grabs a comic book that had been sitting on the dresser.

 

He leaps back onto the couch and lies down. We hear a thumping up the stairs. And the door whips open. Frank is standing there in a scrubby jacket, with a Hawaiian shirt underneath and some Bermuda shorts.

 

FRANK

Hey! I’m goin’ out for a couple o’days on business. Don’t do anything too damn stupid.

 

WOLFGANG

Yeah, whatever.

 

 

He opens the comic book and looks inside.

 

It is a very nice and friendly all ages comic, very happy.

 

He continues to look at it for several seconds, and throws it on the floor. He lies there motionless.

 

 

The Dinner

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. LIVING ROOM-NIGHT

 

 

Wolfgang is sitting on the couch doing homework. It is Math, we know this because of the title on the paper bag cover.

 

He gets sick of being a good little boy and throws the Math book on the floor.

 

He sits there looking at an empty fireplace for a couple of seconds.

 

Then he gets up and we watch him leave the room.

 

He enters into the kitchen and pulls out a loaf of bread.

 

He opens the refrigerator lazily and takes out some ham and some cheese.

 

We watch him slap on the ham and cheese. He bothers not getting a plate.

 

He opens the refrigerator again, puts away the ham and cheese, the fridge is loaded with full and empty beer cans. He looks for something to drink and finds one lone Pepsi.

 

He seats himself down at the table and starts to eat.

 

After a while he pushes the plate away and glances at the garbage can.

 

He looks inside and takes out the letter, then stands up, looking for a pen to sign it with.

 

 

He goes into the living room, opens a drawer, inside is a "Magnum." He is amazed and stunned, with a surprised look on his face, you don’t usually find a weapon of destruction in a drawer, he picks it up and points it around a bit.

 

He puts it back, slams the door shut, and walks back into the kitchen.

 

The Movie

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. WOLFGANG’S BEDROOM-NIGHT

 

 

Wolfgang is lying on the top bunk of his bed, looking up at the ceiling. Staring blankly.

 

He picks up the television remote and flips it on.

 

He switches back and forth, mostly crap is on. He finally stops and watches, Baron Munchhausen. Nothing objectionable is on the screen.

 

He watches it for the rest of the allotted minute and falls asleep.

 

FADE OUT:

 

{PART TWO}

 

 

The Dream

 

FADE IN:

 

INT. BASEMENT DREAM SEQUENCE-DARK

 

 

This is the same place as before, this time each frame is five seconds. There are about twelve frames, but who actually gives a crap?

 

Series one is of Wolfgang’s feet walking.

 

The second series is of his face moving along with his body.

 

Series three is a full body shot is three frames.

 

The fourth series is the specter reaching out his hand, it is all very creepy-crappy.

 

What the screenplay says may differ from what the director says.

 

The Narration

 

CUT TO:

 

INT/EXT . ?-LIGHT

 

 

A black and white balloon floats to the sky in front of us; in a matter of seconds, the narration begins.

 

NARRATION

My name is Wolfgang Fischer. I live in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin with my dad’s x-friend, because my parents were killed in a car accident about six months ago, I will tell you more about it some other time. I’m thirteen and a half years old, and I go to Washington Middle School of Wauwatosa, it’s a pretty good school, the teachers are good, but the kids there are real idiots, so I guess it’s kind of a crummy school. I used to love to read and watch a lot of movies, but I don’t have any money or anything to do so. I really don’t enjoy anything anymore, I used to have a lot of friends and family in town, but I didn’t really like any of them too much, and they either died or moved away. Some of the things I liked to do were read and write, but it’s pointless and stupid to do that because everyone thinks it’s dumb, and none of my teachers care or anything about what I do even if I’m really actually pretty good at it. During the day and at night I have these really strange nightmarish type deals. They probably don’t mean to much so I’ll explain them just a little bit. It’s usually just me walking down some kinda’ dark hall and that’s it. I’ll tell you more about them some other time maybe. We don’t have any money because my stupid guardian spends what’s left on buying liquor to get drunk and yell at me. I think that my life used to be a lot better.

 

 

After the narration, stare at the balloon until the minute is up.

 

The Morning

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. WOLFGANG’S BEDROOM-MORNING

 

 

We look at an empty bed, then we look to the corner of the room.

 

There stands our friend Wolfgang looking at a closed window. He grabs the shade rod and turns it. The light pours in, so he shuts it.

 

He turns himself around and walks out of the bedroom and walks into a bathroom that is out of view for us.

 

We look at the door of the bathroom. It bursts open; showing us a brand new Wolfgang, all clean and tidy. But NO smile on his face; even though his guardian is gone; there isn't smile on his face.

 

He ventures to the front door of the house and steps outside, picks up the paper on the ground, and reads the name on it. It reads: "Malcolm Fischer," or Wolfgang’s father.

 

Still holding the paper, he walks into the kitchen of his house, the one where the guardian was screaming at him.

 

He takes out the toaster and some bread from the refrigerator.

 

He plugs in the toaster. And then proceeds to place bread into the machine.

 

He gets out a glass from the cupboard and some juice from the fridge.

 

 

He then pours the juice into the glass but it overflows. He ignores that aspect of his day and seats himself down.

 

After a while, the tasty-toast pops up from the toaster.

 

He takes it out and it’s as black as the night, so he trashes it.

 

Sitting back down, he opens up the newspaper. On the cover: "10 People Slain By Corrupt Bank Robber."

 

He leans back and reads. That is the end of that scene.

A Somewhat Friendly Relationship

CUT TO:

EXT. FRONT PORCH-DAY

 

Wolfgang is sitting on his front porch napping.

Soon, some dirt and a rock lands on his lap, he looks up, then he looks down and spots the Girl standing below trying to get his attention.

He brushes off the dirt while standing up and waving.

GIRL

Hi Wolfgang! I came to see how you're doing!

 

WOLFGANG

Me? I'm fine. What do you want?

 

 

Go to part: 1  2 

 

 

Copyright � 2000 Magnus Duke McDowell
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"