Spider’s Wonderful Garden
Martine Hayes

 

It was a typical, spring morning. The grass awash with dew made the garden look as pretty as a picture. The air was clean and crisp and small droplets of dew fell quietly off the petals in the flower beds. The whole garden looked as though it was made from a carpet of silver threads. It was as though the morning dew had washed the garden ready for another day. The most striking, prettiest thing of all was the spider's web on the clothes drier, which during the night had been broken on one side, and there in the thick of it all, spinning and weaving away was Spider.

Spider was lovely, intelligent and very well mannered. She was also the adviser and judge for all the other creatures in the garden. She was the wisest of them all and always helped out in times of trouble. Everyone liked Spider, she was kind, although she did tell the others off if she thought they had been naughty or foolish. Very often she would call a meeting to be held where she could find out what had been happening lately in the garden, it was really just her way of checking to make sure everyone was okay. From her web, Spider could see every creatures house. There was the pond, where Mr and Mrs Frog and their Little baby frog lived. Mr Frog liked to tell tales, he really thought he knew it all, in fact, he just made things up all the time, but like Mrs Frog he's kind and very cheery. The pond was at the bottom of the garden next to the fence which separated the garden from the thick woodland which lay beyond it.

Opposite the pond, was the rockery, a collection of large, white stones with some pretty plants. That was where Caterpillar and Snail lived. It was once just Snail who lived there, but Caterpillar had come along this year and decided to stay. At first, Snail was not very happy about this at all, but as time went by, he had grown to like the company. The trouble was that he just did not like the idea of having to share his rockery with anyone. Especially since Caterpillar was always mischievous. Snail had been used to peace and quiet and that was how he liked it, but Caterpillar was young and expected Snail to play and have fun. The rockery too was next to the fence, but only snail would brave the trip behind it (which he did often). Further up the garden was a large bush where Mrs Hedgehog lived. Mrs Hedgehog was rather quiet and preferred to keep herself to herself. She was always polite but she didn't really like to be bothered, instead she would mind her own business and hoped that others would do the same. She spent most of her nights in the woods, behind the fence although she did have to be careful of Cat, who lived in the house with the ‘ peoples’-that was what the creatures called them.

Spider hurried to the top of the web with the last piece of silk needed to fix the whole which had happened when the biggest daddy long legs you've ever seen, managed to crash straight through Spider's web. ‘Obviously he wasn't watching where he was going’ Spider thought. She repaired it again.

‘Good morning’ Came the greeting of Cat, on his way home from the woods.

She knotted the last thread of silk to the web and straightened it all out before returning to the middle.

‘The same to you Cat, and was your night good?’ She asked.

‘Oh very good indeed.’ He answered, ‘We sang and we jumped and we pounced the whole night.’ He rested his behind on the wet grass, lifted one paw and began licking it gracefully. He was always cleaning himself. ‘Of course, we always have a good night when all us cats meet up in the woods, in fact it was almost an excellent night, because I almost caught Fieldmouse’.

‘HUH!’ Spider froze with absolute horror.

‘Cat! I've told you before to leave poor Fieldmouse alone.’ She said firmly to Cat.

‘But I'm a cat,’ said Cat, ‘That's what I do - I chase mice.’

Spider dropped slowly from her web on a tiny silk thread until she was eye level with Cat.

‘Fieldmouse is our friend Cat and there are a lot of creatures round here that would miss him dearly if anything were to happen to him, and you're not exactly Mr popular at the moment are you? So if I were you I wouldn't ruffle any more bad feelings, if it weren't for Fieldmouse, poor Mrs Hedgehog might have been stuck down that hole in the woods forever. We wouldn't have known anything about it if Fieldmouse hadn't come running for help.’

‘Okay, interrupted Cat, ‘I Know’

Just then the sound of a Key turning told Cat that breakfast was about to be served and that it was time to look cute and purrrr loudly. He said it was his way of making sure the door opened for him every morning. Cat ran quickly as the door opened and mum stood waiting, her big furry teddy bear slippers peeking from the doorway. The door closed shut and Cat waved from the kitchen window to Spider as he did every morning.

 

 

Worm’s Trouble

The sun had gone, the night was cool and that was when most of the creatures in the garden woke up and began their search for food. Fieldmouse yawned and stretched as usual.

‘Oh, I'm so hungry.’ He moaned.Fieldmouse lived in the large oak tree, in the woods, just behind the fence. It was a nice little house, very cosy and always tidy. The bark from the tree showed through on the inside, and gave the house a wallpapered look. It was quite dark, but Fieldmouse liked It that way. it helped him to sleep better during the day, especially when the sun was bright, it was a bit like trying to sleep with the light on. Fieldmouse had to be very careful when leaving his house, especially since cat would like to have him on the menu. He couldn't help thinking how lucky he had been to escape from cat's sharp claws. He looked down at his little stumpy tall, it had stopped bleeding now, but It was still sore. Cat had left the marks of his claws embedded into poor Fieldmouse' stumpy tail. Fieldmouse knew he had to go out tonight in search of food. He hadn't got any last night and his tummy was starting to hurt. He walked slowly to the door of his little house, and peered outside.

He was just about to leave when he heard a rumbling noise from under the floor. He was sure it was cat. Fieldmouse backed himself into the corner of his house and feeling terrified, he stared at the floor. Where would he run? He glanced at the door again and wondered if he could make it before cat got in. Just then, to his amazement, a familiar face popped up from under the floor- it was Worm. It was Worm who had been making the noise. Fieldmouse was pleased that it wasn’t cat after-all. Worm did this quite often. Never was Fieldmouse so relieved to see him. Worm stared at Fieldmouse and folded his arms.

‘What are you doing in my house?’ Asked Worm angrily.

‘Your house?’ Asked Fieldmouse, confused.

‘Yes, MY HOUSE. Which bit do you not understand?’ Asked Worm cheekily.

Fieldmouse scratched his head. He glanced round the room, trying to understand what was going on. He knew it was his own house. What was Worm thinking of.?

‘I'm sick of it do you hear me? sick... I always have to clean up other peoples mess, they just come in here and expect me to let them stay, they sleep in my bed, and expect me to move out too. - Well let me tell you field' I’m not going anywhere.’ Snapped Worm.

Worm pulled himself up from the hole he had made in the floor and brushed himself down.

‘I suppose your going to creep round me now and say how sorry you are? well it won’t work field' it won’t work- this house Aint’ big enough for the both of us.’ He rambled on.

Fieldmouse had heard just about enough, he did like Worm, but he had the most rudest, ill mannered attitude he had ever known. Fieldmouse turned to Worm and looked him in the eyes.

‘Worm, -THIS IS MY HOUSE!... look around you.’ Ordered Fieldmouse firmly. Worm got that feeling in his tummy that he had made a very serious mistake. His head shrunk into his body, trying to make himself look smaller. He turned around and carefully and very slowly glanced around the room. The bed was too big. The door was huge, everything seemed neat and it was too tidy. It was too big..... it was Fieldmouse' house.

There was absolute silence.

‘Oh I suppose this is the bit where I say SORRY?’ Asked Worm pathetically.

Fieldmouse said nothing, he had that look of disbelief in his eyes. He was just about to throw him out, when worm's eyes started to fill with tears. Worm did look sad.

‘I'm so sorry, I really am. Can you ever forgive me my friend?’ Sobbed Worm.

Fieldmouse was even more confused now. First Worm was shouting, then he was apologising, now he was crying too. Fieldmouse put on his best smile and told Worm that everything was okay. Worm wasn't so sure.

‘I. cant find my house anywhere.’ He sobbed.

Truth was, Worm had dug so many tunnels under the garden and into the woods, that under the ground was like one big maze. Worm had got lost. ‘I've searched and searched for days....weeks months years even. I can't remember what It looks like, but I can't tell anyone encase they laugh at me, I mean- how can you lose a house?’ He explained. Fieldmouse was so hungry now that he was starting to feel dizzy and quite weak. He had to think of a way to help Worm find his house., but he had to eat, he was so hungry.

‘I know what to do.’ Announced Fieldmouse. ‘You stay here and rest for the night, and while I'm out hunting, I'll ask everyone if they know where you live.’

Worm thought It was a great Idea.

‘Thank you field’' Said Worm with a big cheesy grin.

Fieldmouse left the house and headed straight for the rock by the garden fence where he knew he would find some nice, juicy, fat wood lice for tea. Fieldmouse scratched his way in, under the rock. The wood lice ran for cover, darting and dashing everywhere. Fieldmouse managed to catch a few, but never enough to satisfy his appetite. He knew he had to chase them, or stay hungry.

‘Why isn't anything ever easy round here? He asked himself.

He spotted a cluster of wood lice, hiding behind a small lump of mud, under the rock. This was his last chance of getting some food. Quietly and very, very slowly, he lay down, staring at the wood lice. He went through the rules of catching lunch, (which his father had taught him when he was young,) each rule carefully noted in his mind.

‘Step One - Lie down.’ He whispered to himself.

‘Step Two - Fix target.’ He fixed his eyes on to the cluster of wood lice.

‘Step Three - Shoulders down.’

‘Step four. - Bottom up.’

‘ Step five - AIM.’

...POUNCE!!!’

He had done it.

He was just about finished cleaning his paws, when he heard Mrs hedgehog approaching. He could always tell when she was coming, because of her sniffing sounds. She was so good at hunting. Fieldmouse admired her not only for her skills at a hunter, he also admired her for the way she could protect herself. He thought how useful it could be if he could borrow it, and use it when cat came near. He had got to know her one night, the night he saved her life. Since then, they have always been friends. Fieldmouse will never forget that night, he thought of how lucky she had been.

It was a cold, wet and very windy night Everyone got up, cleaned themselves and went out hunting as usual. Mrs hedgehog went Into the woods as she usually did, the same trail, same walk and the same time. She had just appeared at the top of the bank, beside the bramble bushes, when out jumped cat from behind the tree opposite her. Mrs hedgehog rolled up tight into a spiky ball and stayed there for a while, she was sure that cat was going to get her. She soon realised in fact that cat hadn't even seen her, and she was just about to roll herself out, when she felt herself rolling down the steep bank. Mrs hedgehog curled herself up even tighter than before. This, unfortunately made her roll even faster and she couldn't stop. She rolled and she rolled, until suddenly she stopped.

She was so dizzy, and Mrs Hedgehog thought she better rest for a while before getting up. She didn’t want to fall over again. After she had waited a few minutes, Mrs hedgehog pushed out her legs to unroll herself back out of her spiky ball shape. She couldn't move!. Mrs hedgehog pushed and kicked in an attempt to free herself, but she just couldn't move. The wind was getting stronger and stronger and Mrs hedgehog was beginning to feel colder and more afraid with each passing minute. It was getting harder to breath. She couldn't see anything at all, she was still rolled in a ball. ‘HELP!’ She shouted. She shouted again, and started to cry. The rain was making her very wet and very cold, she had to get out of the cold. She had to get home, for shelter.

Now Fieldmouse didn't like going too far Into the woods, and always kept to his usual path. He knew how easy It would be to become lost and he didn’t want that. That night, while Fieldmouse was hunting, he made his way along the bottom of the steep bank. He hadn't been that way for while, but he thought he might find some nice sweet blackberries there. At least he didn't have to chase them, it was far too wet and cold to chase anything that night. Fieldmouse just wanted to find some food and then go straight home, out of the rain. Suddenly, he heard some faint, cries. He searched around to see where they were coming from. He then noticed a spiky ball in a hole in the ground. The hole wasn't much bigger than the ball. in fact-It was a perfect fit. He suddenly realised what had happened.

‘Poor Mrs hedgehog’ He thought. He peered into the hole and called to her.

‘Are you all right Mrs Hedgehog?’ He asked.

‘HELP!’ She cried. ‘ I can’t get out, help me, please?’

Fieldmouse tried to pull her, but she wouldn’t budge. She was much to big for him pull, he had to find someone else to help.

‘Don’t worry, Mrs Hedgehog, I will go and get some help.’ He told her.

Mrs hedgehog started to cry, she was very cold, very wet and very afraid. She lay in the darkness, unable to move. She thought she might die if Fieldmouse didn’t hurry.

Fieldmouse ran back to the garden as fast as his little legs would carry him.

‘HELP! QUICKLY!’ He shouted. No one answered. Fieldmouse ran to the pond to see if Frog was there, but he was out. He ran to the washing line.

‘Spider, Spider, Quickly!’

Spider dropped down from her web on her silky string.

‘Whatever is the matter Fieldmouse? You look terribly upset.’

‘It’s Mrs Hedgehog, she is hurt and trapped in a hole in the woods, at the bottom of the mound where the blackberries grow.’ He told her.

‘Oh dear’ Answered Spider. ‘Whatever can we do?’

Spider crossed her legs and thought for a while. If only she could think of some way of getting poor Mrs Hedgehog out, but she couldn’t do it, she was too tiny. She hadn’t seen Mr Mole for a while, and she had no way of finding him.

‘If only I could find Mr Mole, he would be able to dig underneath her and push her up out of the hole. I haven’t seen him for a while now.’ She told Fieldmouse.

Fieldmouse was thinking hard, it would have been good to find Mr Mole, but they had no way of finding him, he was usually under the ground. Fieldmouse jumped for joy.

‘Worm’ He shouted.

‘Worm?’ Asked Spider, confused. ‘Worm is too small to dig.’ She said.

‘No!’ Replied Fieldmouse. ‘Worm could find Mr Mole, he always knows where to find him.’

‘Good idea.’ Said Spider. ‘Quickly, go and tell him to look for Mr Mole.’

Fieldmouse ran off, back to his house in the old tree. Worm was enjoying a nice snooze.

‘Worm, get up!’ Cried Fieldmouse.

Worm jumped with fright. ‘Have you found my house already?’ He asked.

‘No!’ Replied Fieldmouse. ‘You have to find Mr Mole.’

Fieldmouse explained what had happened and Worm set off in search of Mr Mole. It hadn’t been long before he returned with Mr Mole. Fieldmouse ran to Mrs Hedgehog, followed by Mr Mole, who although he was blind, could smell the blackberries. He knew exactly where to go. Mr Mole sniffed the earth, he could smell Mrs Hedgehog.

‘Don’t worry Mrs Hedgehog, Mr Mole will dig underneath you and push you up out of the hole, hold on tight.’ Shouted Fieldmouse.

Mr Mole dug and dug until he was under Mrs Hedgehog. He pushed and pushed until at last, she was free.

‘Oh thank you, Mr Mole’ She cried with delight. ‘Thank you too Fieldmouse.’

Mrs Hedgehog didn’t wander to the top of the mound anymore, she knew it was too dangerous.

Fieldmouse always remembered that awful night, but it had brought him closer to Mrs Hedgehog and they had become best friends. He watched her as she passed by, sniffing and licking as she went, trying to find some food.

‘Hi Fieldmouse.’ She cried. ‘How are you this evening?’

‘I have a problem actually.’ He answered.

‘Can I help?’ She asked.

Fieldmouse explained how Worm had lost his house, and didn’t know where to look for it.

‘Oh that’s a shame.’ She said. ‘Have you had any luck in finding it ?’

‘Not yet, I've only just found something to eat, I thought I might go to the garden and ask Spider if she knows where it might be.’ He explained.

Fieldmouse and Mrs hedgehog made there way to the garden, hoping that Spider would know the answer to their questions. They reached the pond and met Mr Frog, who had decided to stay close to the pond that night. He couldn't be bothered going anywhere else. He wanted a lazy, quiet night. He had ended up bored. Everyone else were away enjoying themselves, while he had made the wrong choice to stay at home. He was so pleased to see Fieldmouse and Mrs hedgehog approaching.

‘HELLO!’ He cried happily at the two figures coming towards him.

‘Hello Mr Frog, how are you?’ asked Mrs hedgehog.

‘Bored!’ explained Mr Frog. ‘I wish I had gone out now, everyone Is gone, I'm alone. Well I was alone until you two appeared.’ he laughed.

‘Oh, I'm sorry Mr Frog, but we've come to see Spider. I'm afraid we have some investigating to do.’ Explained Mrs hedgehog.

‘inve inveritatim .Can I do it too?’ asked Mr Frog. ‘W e are trying to find out where worms house is.’ They both explained.

Fieldmouse told Mr Frog the whole story and explained how they had to help Worm find his house.

‘He's so sad.’ Explained Fieldmouse, we have to help him.’

Mr Frog smiled and leapt up in the air.

‘I know where his house is..!’ Said Mr Frog.

‘YOU DO?’ asked both Mrs hedgehog and Fieldmouse at the same time. They were both so excited. At last they would be able to see Worm into his own little house. They couldn't wait to tell Worm.

‘So, where is it then?’ asked Fieldmouse.

‘It's.....It’s...’ stuttered Frog.

‘Yes?’ asked Mrs hedgehog, impatiently.

‘Come on Mr Frog, please tell us?’ Sighed Fieldmouse.

Mr Frog turned and Jumped onto one of the rocks beside the pond.

‘Its,...It’s NOT IN HERE!’ he giggled and he giggled, and he giggled so hard that he fell backwards into the pond.

SPLASSSSSH!

Mrs hedgehog was not Impressed. Fieldmouse was furious.

‘Come on,’ he said to Mrs hedgehog, ‘We best go and ask Spider, we've wasted enough of our time already.’

Mr Frog was still laughing, they could hear him from the other end of the garden. Finally, they reached the clothes drier where Spider lived. They could see Spider. She had seen everything, she had heard it all too.

‘I was hoping you would ask me.’ She said to the two welcome, visitors. ‘I'll tell you exactly why Worm cannot find his house.’ She announced.

‘Oh, please will you Spider?’ asked Fieldmouse.

‘The reason Worm cannot find his house,’ Explained Spider,’ Is because,

he doesn't have one, well not one particular house. His house is the network of tunnels he has dug. That is his home, the soil under the garden. That is where he lives.’

Fieldmouse and Mrs hedgehog stood silent for a while, grinning with relief at what they had just been told.

They both thanked Spider for her help, and Fieldmouse ran home to tell Worm the good news.

It was almost morning when Fieldmouse reached his house. The birds had started their morning song, and the grass felt wet with dew.

‘Worm, I have the answer to your problem.’ He announced.

Worm raised his head and yawned. He had been having the most brilliant dream ever, but he was so excited to hear that his problem was solved, that he forgot what his dream was about.

‘Tell me..!’ insisted Worm, impatiently.

Fieldmouse explained in detail, what Spider had said.

‘So, you don't have to look anymore,’ Said Fieldmouse, with a smile. Worm still looked sad, he looked sadder than ever.

‘Worm, l..l.. thought you would be pleased.’ Said a very confused Fieldmouse.

‘Pleased?’ asked Worm. ‘..But I don't have a house, how can I be pleased, everyone else has a home of there own. Except me. How can I be pleased?’ Stated Worm.

Fieldmouse understood what Worm meant. Everyone did have a home, except Worm Fieldmouse felt so sorry for him. ‘Look, why don't you call this your home? You can stay with me, if you want.? you can tunnel all day In the garden, then come here...,come home at night.’

Worm was delighted, he thought it was a great Idea. And so another great friendship had begun.

in Spider’s Wonderful Garden.

 

 

Frog’s Tale

Mr Frog stared from the pond. Cat had gone into the house, and it was safe to let Little Frog practise his dives. He called for Little Frog to come out of their little house, under the rock.

‘It’s time for your lesson.’ He cried.

Little Frog didn’t like his diving lesson’s, especially since he had bumped his head the last time. and still felt quite poorly, but dad wouldn’t believe him. He had tried to get out of so many times, that his dad wouldn’t believe him when he said that he felt poorly.

‘No your not.’ Cried dad. ‘Come on, I want a good hour of practise.’

Little Frog climbed on to the rock above him and prepared to dive. He stumbled and fell into the water. Mr Frog realised that something was wrong. He dived in and pulled little Frog out of the pond and took him back inside their little house. It wasn't long before he was feeling much better and he decided it might be a good time to ask dad to tell him a story. He was quite sure that Mr Frog would agree, after all, Mr Frog loved to talk. Little Frog climbed up on his dads knee, and cuddled in tight.

‘Please dad, tell me a story’ He asked.

Dad looked at little Frog and smiled. ‘Of course I will.’

Little Frog snuggled up even tighter to prepare for an extra large story.

Mr Frog sat back and made himself comfortable. ‘Well, it was a lovely morning and I found myself playing with the older Frogs In the pond. It wasn't often that a little Frog like me got to play with the bigger ones. They always told us to get away to the shallow end. They were quite bossy, especially towards us young ones however, this day was different because my father-your

grandfather, had called a meeting of all the elders and so all the bigger Frogs had to look after us young ones-I was just about your age at the time and I was very excited to be allowed to play with the bigger Frogs. They would jump from rock to rock singing and splashing as they went. It was all very spectacular. Every one had to wait their turn, following each other from rock to rock across the pond. If you couldn't make the jump, you were out, and you had to sit and watch to see who would make it to the other side, there could only be one winner.

Of course us younger Frogs wanted to play, but the older Frogs simply wouldn't let us they said we were too small and that this game was just for the older Frogs. We begged them to let us play and the older Frogs eventually agreed to let us play, they assumed that with us being so small, that we would probably fall in on the first jump so there wouldn't be a problem. That was the day when I finally became a grown up. There were four of us little Frogs. There was Speckle, we was the youngest. Then there was Rivvy, she could jump the highest of us all and we were quite sure if anyone could do it then Rivvy could. Topsy was the oldest of us younger Frogs and although he was the biggest, he was also the quietist of us all.

Then of course, there was me.’

Little Frog listened patiently resting his little head on his hands. His mum had also came in to listen, and was happily sitting close beside them. Outside the sun was shining and the calming sound of the songbirds whistled through the opening of their home. Mrs Frog had heard this story before, but she didn't mind hearing it again.

‘come on the older Frogs shouted to us, take your mark. Speckle stood nervously on the edge of the pond and peered over at the rock he had to jump on. It seemed a long way away. ‘I've never jumped this far before’ Said speckle.

‘Of course you could always chicken out.’ Said the older Frogs. Well with that Speckle jumped as high and as far as his little legs would take him. Everyone held their breath in amazement as little Speckle went straight into the pond with an almighty Splash! The older Frogs thought that was amazingly funny. I thought It was quite dangerous and so did Rivvy and Topsy. They both shouted to the older Frogs that they didn't want to play anymore. Everyone stared at me. ‘Well, what about you?’ I looked over at poor Speckle who was pulling himself out of the pond. ‘Don't do It, you won't make it.’ cried Speckle. Everyone was looking at me, waiting for an answer. They were astounded when I agreed to go ahead. I stood on the edge of the pond, and eagerly watched the first rock. It did seem a long way away, I was beginning to think that maybe I should back out now rather than embarrass myself by falling In the pond just like poor Speckle. Time was passing quickly, and just as I was about to back out, I heard the older Frogs telling me to jump. ‘Jump, jump, jump.’ They all shouted behind me. With an almighty kick I pushed myself high into the air and suddenly I felt my feet on solid ground. I had made it! Everyone cheered, and they kept cheering as I jumped again and again from one rock to the other without stopping. I think it was more nerves than skill, but whatever it was it got all the way to other side safely. I could not believe my luck to find that the older Frogs were also clapping, what wonderful feeling that was. . ‘Wow.’ Cried little Frog. ‘You were really brave,’ 'Tell me another story’ Begged little Frog. Just then Caterpillar popped his head out from behind the opening of their home. ‘Hello everyone.’ He called In his usual high pitched voice, ‘has anyone seen snail?’

‘No we haven't seen him at all today Caterpillar, why are you looking for him?’ asked Mrs Frog. ‘Oh nothing much, I just thought he may have passed this way on his way home from the woods. If he hasn't passed this way then perhaps I can get to the rockery before him, which means more juicy leaves for me.’ Announced Caterpillar, rubbing his tummy with excitement. Caterpillar set off to the rockery as fast as he could, he was going to get to the top of the rockery before snail, which meant he could help himself to the juiciest plant, which was also snails favourite food. It wasn't that he didn't like snail. In fact he quite liked him, but he would never admit that to snail. You see snail was stubborn and he would spend most of his day in the woods. Caterpillar didn't much care for wandering into the woods. It was far too big and dark, and no place for a little Caterpillar he could be lost forever in there. Caterpillar was afraid of the woods and couldn't find any reason to even consider entering them in the first place. Snail would often come back from his journey in the woods and tell Caterpillar all about his adventure.

Caterpillar eventually reached the top Of the rockery and peered through the fence into the woods for any signs of snail. ‘Yeah, I've won I've won.’ he cried, and he began to sing and dance.

‘Ha ha ha, He he he. Stupid old snail He's too slow for me!’

Just then there was a familiar voice which seemed to be coming from underneath the bottom leaf of snails favourite plant.

‘Oh I'm stupid and I'm old am I?’ asked snail.

Caterpillar froze, It was snail. He had been there all the time. Caterpillar did feel embarrassed.

‘I thought you were still behind the fence.’ He muttered.

‘Obviously.’ Answered snail. ‘Do you honestly think I would let you reach the nicest, yummiest leaves on my rockery? Oh I forgot I’m old and stupid.’ Said snail sarcastically.

‘Of course, I knew you were there all the time.’ said Caterpillar. ‘I was only joking.’

‘Nice try Caterpillar, look at me laughing.’ Snail still wasn't impressed, and munched on his favourite leaves without even looking at Caterpillar who was busy trying to think of ways to get back on snails good side. It was important to do so or it could mean a whole day without any nice juicy leaves.

‘It wasn't you I was talking about snail. The truth is, well there was this big huge ugly stupid old snail at the bottom of the rockery and,..and....and he was coming up to eat your yummy leaves, so being your best friend, I raced up to the top as fast as I could to protect your leaves and wait for you - because I knew you would be back real soon, and seeing how strong and wise you are, 1 knew you would soon get rid of the nasty stupid old snail. And he would never come back. That's the whole truth, honest.’

Snail didn't bother to look at Caterpillar. Instead, he took a nice big bite from his yummy leaf and sighed. ‘It must be really hard to balance, with your legs crossed. I know you are telling lies, Caterpillar’ Said snail calmly. Caterpillar dropped his head, afraid to look snail in the eyes.

‘ What have I done?’ Thought Caterpillar. ‘I've blown it. My best friend. How could I lie to my best friend? What kind of friend am I anyway?’

Just them tiny droplets of rain fell and Caterpillar could see each droplet running down the leaves and falling onto snail, who didn't seem to mind the rain. It just landed onto his shell and slid off. Snail kept lovely and dry. Caterpillar felt cold and very alone. He didn't like the rain much. He used to run under snails leaves to shelter from it. He remembered old Snail passing him in some yummy leaves to eat because he wouldn't go outside for them. He remembered the day he was unwell and poor old snail carried a whole yummy leave all the way down the rockery for him, to be sure that he would eat and get well again. The rain fell harder and louder, birds flew back to their nests and all the other creatures went underground to escape the cold that came with the rain. Caterpillar was getting wetter by the minute. He was cold and he knew he had to find some shelter soon. He began to walk to the bottom of the rockery where he knew there would be a place to keep warm. His wet body slid over the wet, cold mud as he went. Caterpillar stopped and turned to snail who was still happily munching a yummy leaf.

‘Before I go, I have to tell you that I’m so, so sorry snail.- The truth is, I thought I could beat you and munch on your favourite leaves. I don't know why, I suppose I just thought it would be funny. I know now that it was in fact greedy and selfish of me. You have every right to be angry. I've been nothing but trouble to you since I came here. I just can't stop feeling hungry at the moment. I am sorry snail, for all the trouble I've caused. I'll be off then.’

Caterpillar hunched himself up tight trying to fend off the rain and he walked slowly and miserably away muttering to himself as he went. He was really cold and hungry now and the wind seemed to be blowing it's coldness at him from all directions. The rain had already left great puddles on the rockery and Caterpillar knew he had to avoid them or he would drown. He carefully edged his way along getting wetter and wetter, colder and colder. Just them Caterpillar heard that familiar voice again. This time it was calling his name. It was snail.

Caterpillar turned round and started heading towards snail. The rain had made the ground soft and cold and Caterpillar knew it was dangerous to climb up the rockery when it was wet, but it was even more dangerous to climb down. He made his way carefully to the top and peered anxiously at snail who hadn't moved since he left and was still munching on his yummy leaf.

‘You told the truth Caterpillar, for once in your life you have taken

the responsibility for your silly actions and Jokes that aren't In the least bit funny. For that reason I want you to stay. Only on one condition though,- that you never laugh behind my back again.’ Snail was serious. Caterpillar was still dripping with rain, but on his sad face, a smile was beginning to break.

‘I promise snail, I promise.’ replied the wet, cold and very hungry Caterpillar.

‘Then come in here out of that rain before you catch cold.’ Said snail.

Caterpillar couldn't believe how lucky he was.

‘Thank you, thank you, it's nice to have a friend as good as you snail.’

Just then, the rain seemed to stop and the sun told the cold to go. Caterpillar could feel the warmth of the sun on his cold face. Everything would be okay now.

‘ I’m safe, I’m with my best friend again.’ He thought to himself. And he was happy.

 

 

Caterpillar goes missing

The morning had begun. Spider had greeted cat as usual, and the sun had seemed hotter than any other morning. Summer was approaching fast, it was time for spring to leave. The trees were full of leaves, the birds were nesting, and the garden was now becoming more colourful than ever before. The morning seemed pretty quiet. Spider was fixing and cleaning her web, weaving away up and down. She liked a nice, clean web. She was so proud of it and it always looked so pretty, especially when the morning dew washed it. Fieldmouse had got home quite early and was sound asleep. Worm had just got up, and had gone out for a tunnelling session. Mrs hedgehog was still asleep, and the Frogs were quietly enjoying a nice lazy morning dip in the pond. Things just couldn’t be much better. Until, Spider noticed that snail was slowly circling around the rockery on his own. Spider came down from her web and carefully walked towards the rockery. She had to keep away from the birds, they would eat her. She reached the rockery, and called to snail, who was still wandering around.

‘Snail, are you all right?’ She asked.

Snail looked up and smiled at the welcome face of Spider. ‘Well, I don't know.’ He answered.

Whatever is the matter?’ She asked. She hadn't seen snail so confused before. This was worrying. Maybe he was ill, maybe he had lost something. Spider moved closer to snail and stopped beside him.

‘Can I help you with anything?’ She asked- Still concerned.

‘I'm worried.’ Replied snail. ‘I haven't seen Caterpillar for a few days now’ Snail was still looking everywhere, he searched under every rock, every leaf and even behind the fence. He couldn't see him anywhere.

‘Maybe he has gone into the woods.’ Explained Spider. ‘It's easy to get lost in there.’

‘NO!’ Said snail ‘Caterpillar would never go there, not even with me to guide him, he doesn’t like the woods. In fact, he is terrified of the woods.’ Spider decided to call a meeting of all the creatures in the garden, someone must have seen him, perhaps he had stayed at Frogs house for a few nights, or maybe he had gone off to see Mrs Hedgehog and decided to stay for a while. There had to be an easy answer, after all, no one could just disappear.

That night, all the creatures gathered round the clothes drier, to hear what Spider had to say.

‘Thank you all for coming’ Announced Spider, ‘ I'm afraid I may have some bad news for you all.

It appears that Caterpillar has gone missing, snail can't find him anywhere, and I wanted to ask you all if any of you had seen Caterpillar in the last few days.’ The creatures all talked quietly amongst themselves for a while before realising that they hadn't seen him for quite a while. Mrs hedgehog hadn't seen him in the woods, neither had Fieldmouse. Cat said that he hadn't seen him at all. It was hopeless- It was a mystery. Mrs Frog had said that she hadn't even had her usual visit from him for days. He always used to visit, while snail was in the woods. He liked to talk to little Frog too, and the Frog family hadn’t seen him either. In fact, no one had seen him.

Snail was even more worried now.

‘Let's organise a search.’ Said cat, anxiously.

The creatures thought it was a great idea, and decided that they had to search straight away, they wouldn't like to think that poor Caterpillar could have been injured, or trapped in some way without any help from his friends. The search continued throughout the night, the creatures looked everywhere. they hadn't found him. Worm promised to search in the morning, so did snail and Spider. Again, they found nothing. Snail feared the worst.

Days had gone by and still no sign of Caterpillar. Snail could remember playing and laughing with him. He remembered that awful cold wet day when Caterpillar had lied to him about the big fat, old, snail. He remembered Caterpillar always being naughty, playful, silly, but fun. Snail was so upset. The rockery seemed empty and bare without Caterpillar, his yummy leaves didn't taste so good anymore. He was so alone. He missed his little friend.

Life went on as usual in the garden, the creatures still kept a watchful eye out for Caterpillar, but no one held much hope of ever finding him again. They had searched everywhere, they had even asked other creatures to look out for him, but nothing. It was time to stop searching.

The night had come again, and snail still couldn't sleep. He woke with each little noise, hoping that it would be Caterpillar. He hoped his little friend one return, he hoped he was still alive.

In the distance, the sound of an owl, the garden had come to life.

Alone in the darkness, afraid and upset, lay snail in his worry and strife.

‘Where are you now, where can you be?

Oh Caterpillar, why have you abandoned me?

I know I've been grumpy, I know I've been mean.

But now I'm alone, except for my dream. I dream of you here, I dream that your safe I dream of your fun, and the smile on your face. Please come home soon, don't leave me alone A friend is for ever, I'm lost now your gone.’

 

The garden was blooming and the noisy bees were buzzing about all day. Worm had just left Snail’s rockery, he had come to visit. Snail sat at the top of the rockery, underneath his yummy leaves, in the shade.

Worm was just at the bottom of the rockery, when he heard his name being called. He looked back, Snail hadn’t called him, or at least it didn’t sound like Snail. He ignored it, and wandered off into the garden.

Spider too heard someone call to her, she looked around and found no one. She carried on mending her web.

Snail was almost asleep in the heat of the morning when suddenly he heard a familiar voice.

‘Does no one want to speak to me around here, or am I just invisible?’

Snail looked up, it was Caterpillar. He cried out to him.

‘Is it really you Caterpillar?’ Asked Snail.

Snail just could not believe that his little friend had finally come home. He stared at his friend, he was wearing the most beautiful wings he had ever seen. Snail was amazed.

Caterpillar was so proud of his wings.

‘Look I can fly!’ He called to Snail as he lept gracefully into the air. Snail laughed, he still couldn't believe that his friend was safe. It was the best feeling he had ever felt, he was so pleased. Then he stopped for a minute.

‘Oh Caterpillar, I don't know where you got those beautiful wings from, but don't you think that you should put them back now before you get into some serious trouble?’ Asked snail.

Caterpillar froze. ‘But Snail!’ He said.

‘NO buts’ interrupted the solemn Snail. ‘Just put them back now!’ He demanded.

Caterpillar laughed, and laughed.

‘I don't see anything funny about it Caterpillar, your going to be in serious bother, mark my words.’ Repeated Snail.

Snail, they are mine, I went to sleep, and when I woke up, I had these.’ Explained Caterpillar, pointing to his wings.

Snail finally understood that Caterpillar had changed into a butterfly, he couldn't help thinking how silly he had been for thinking that Caterpillar had stolen them or borrowed them from some where.

It wasn't long before the word had spread in the garden, that Caterpillar was back, as a butterfly. It was a great day. Everyone rushed to greet him, and they all told him how beautiful he was. Spider wondered if Caterpillar knew just how much they had missed him. One thing she did know, that Snail was the happiest creature in the garden. Spider smiled, she liked a happy ending. Everything was fine again in Spider’s wonderful Garden.

 

 

Copyright � 1999 Martine Hayes
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"