Baby-Sitter's Menace!
C M J Wood

 

She could hear the rain pounding down outside and the howling wind; it all went so well with the movie Lauren Shelby was watching. The thunder could be heard rumbling in the distance. She drew her knees up onto the settee. Watching in terror as the masked killer stalked teenagers in high school.

The young looking fifteen year-old couldn’t close her eyes for a moment just in case she missed something. Her shoulder-length black hair rested on her ridged, tense shoulders. Lauren had always loved scary things, even when she was little she liked to place fake spiders in the bath to scare her mother and her little sister. She just found it funny how some people could think such silly things scary! But she learned never to scare people like that again. She’d been ten at the time and Megan her sister had been seven. They’d been playing catch and the ball had landed on the porch roof. So she went in and told her mum who was busy in the kitchen. Their father had been at work at the time; her mum had agreed to get the ball down for them.

She had fetched a ladder from the garage and stood it against the porch, she’d then gone to the toilet. Megan wasn’t around; Lauren had placed a toy snake on the second step from the top.

Her mum came back and climbed up, she almost reached the top and she began screaming. Lauren had started laughing, but had stopped dead when she saw her mother go one way and the ladder the other. It was lucky that she’d only broken her arm, it could’ve been much worse!

Now she watched horror-movies, scaring herself and not hurting anyone else! They were some how still very safe scares; she craved more!

When she’d first watched ‘Scream’ she’d made a note of all the rules, like, don’t pick up the phone or answer the door. She kept that little notebook with her much of the time, just in case she was ever in such a situation. Of course it would never happen to someone like her!

It was the third time she’d baby-sat for the Morlons, they were very nice people and they paid well. They trusted Lauren completely and she re-paid them by doing her job well and not abusing her position like some girls would and have parties. Though sometimes in the evening she wished that John Thomson could be here with her, keeping her company. He was the only guy in her school she’d ever had a crush on, but he hardly noticed her apart from the odd nod and "Hi" as they passed each other in the corridor.

For some reason her father had never wanted her to take up baby-sitting, he’d rather she get a job at the local shop or get a paper-round. But her mum had told her husband that the choice was Laurens’ and she chose to baby-sit!

Later she had gone to her mum and asked her why dad didn’t like baby-sitting; she told her that it was a long story and she wished that it would be forgotten. So Lauren was left to ponder the mystery for herself.

The Morlons have three children and hopefully all them were tucked up warm in bed. Their house was large, old and very cold. The only warmth she had was from the fire that flickered in the corner. This time she had told herself to bring a blanket from home, but it had totally slipped her mind when she had left home in such a hurry. She couldn’t call her parents and ask them to drop one off, as they were away for the weekend for her mothers’ birthday, she’d just have to make do with what she had.

The movie was almost over and the killer had been unmasked and it was the final confrontation! Lauren hugged a cushion to her chest, in fear. She cowered back and jumped at the loud bursts of scary music and sudden movements.

Soon the credits rolled and she relaxed knowing that the heroine had survived, the nightmare was over. She could breathe once more and she suddenly felt alone when the music finally stopped and the film ended. Everything was so quiet, hardly a sound apart from the gale and rain that assaulted the house, it seemed to be all around. It would be hours before the Morlons got home and she didn’t quite know what she was going to do with herself.

Glancing around the room she noted the large hi-fi system in the corner with its’ large-speakers. She was so tempted to put her music on and turn it up loud to shut out the storm, but she couldn’t, it would most likely wake the kids! She couldn’t risk losing this job; she needed the money! Such a childish act could lose her the family’s trust.

Forgetting that idea she flicked the TV on just in time to see the news. Lauren groaned, she hardly ever watched the news; she found it so depressing, all this talk of killing and other such things in real life. Sometimes she’d watch the local news if there was something on that she might be interested in.

Leaving the TV on she went out into the kitchen and flicked on the light. Glancing in the fridge she pulled out a can of Dr. Pepper and slammed the door. That was another great thing about this family, on her first visit they found out what she liked to eat and drink. Then the following time they’d stocked the cupboard up for her.

Back in the living room, she was about to sit herself down when there came a sharp knock at the door! She paused for a moment wondering who it could be, the Morlons hadn’t expected any visitors.

She answered the door to a tatty looking man in a grey coat and hat, with his matching grey hair tumbled out over his collar and he held a black umbrella above his head. He tipped his hat to her and said, "Hello, I’m inspector Crust from Benton CID." He reached for his badge and showed it to Lauren. "Do you live here ma’am?"

"Ah no," she replied, "I’m just the baby-sitter."

He sniffed loudly. "I see ma’am, well I’d be careful ma’am, there’s been a few attacks of baby-sitters in the local area over the weekend, we have reason to believe he’s in the area."

His words scared Lauren; she hadn’t expected this! Maybe if she had watched the news she could have told the Morlons’ that she couldn’t baby-sit this time around!

"We’ll be having regular patrols up and down. Keep the house locked and don’t answer the door! If something happens, no matter how small you give us a call okay." All she could do is nod to everything he said. "Well keep safe ma’am." He tilted his hat again and went back to his waiting car.

Lauren stood by the door and watched the car pull away, then she closed the door and made sure it was locked and bolted.

Back on the settee and she drew her arms up around herself. The raging storm seemed to have closed in on the house without the comforting sound of the TV. She just stared at the blank screen in front of her like she was in a trance, when the sound of the phone ringing snapped her right out of it.

 

That’s odd, Mr. Morlon said they weren’t expecting any calls! What if it was them ringing up to say they’d be home late tonight? What if it’s him? The person who attacked the other baby-sitters, they always like to scare their victims before they slit their throats!

Then she remembered her little book of rules! DON’T ANSWER THE PHONE! But it wouldn’t stop ringing; it seemed to be annoying her on purpose, that dreadful shrill sound that ran right through her, putting her off her panicked train of thought! She’d never heard a phone make such a dreadful noise! She just wanted to yell at it and tell it to SHUT UP!

 

Blast it! What if it’s important; otherwise why would it ring for so long? He might be trying to drive you out of your mind! Oh what the heck!


She jumped to her feet and grabbed the receiver and said, "Hello," it came out as almost a whisper, but the only sound in her ear was the dial tone. It was, as she feared, a crank call! Or was it? It could have been him! Lauren bit her lip and placed the receiver down.

Staring at the phone she wondered what she was going to do next. Was it worth calling the police? Whoever it was may never even call again? Inspector Crust had said, "If something happens, no matter how small you give us a call."

Maybe he knows I won’t play ball, he’ll just skip the for-play and get right to the throat slashing? She tried to force those thoughts from her mind. That’ll teach me never to watch a horror movie when I’m baby-sitting again!

She thought about using redial, but the Morlon’s phone was ancient with its huge receiver and dial instead of buttons. What was the point of having out of date junk like that!

Lauren almost screamed when the phone began to ring again, this time she wasn’t going to answer. Suddenly there was another loud thunderclap and an instant bolt of lightning that lit up the sky and the phone went silent! She relaxed a little.

"I must ring the police," she told herself. "They know there’s a nut-case out there attacking baby-sitters, they’ll believe me and send someone out here to make sure I’m okay! Won’t they?" She forced herself to pick up the phone and dial for the police. The phone began to ring and she felt relieved but not for long, the line went totally dead!!

"BLAST IT!" she yelled dropping the phone down so it hung by its’ cord.

 

He’s cut the phone line! He’s done playing games; he’s going to kill me once and for all! NO Lauren pull yourself together, it was probably knocked out by the storm!


She took a quick glance at the clock and it was time for her to go up and check on the children, which meant she’d have to momentarily leave the warmth of the living room and go into the passageway and upstairs.

She leaned over and placed the phone back on the hook, glad that whatever happened there would be no more phone calls tonight! Crossing the room, she was just about to open the door when she heard the sound of a car engine pulling up outside. Lauren froze to the spot, she could just about see through the blinds onto the rain-washed lane out the front.

There it was, a car drifting slowly down the road at a snails pace and it stopped on the grassy verge. The engine remained running. She could just make out a black figure moving around inside. It sure isn’t a police car! Perhaps it was an undercover cop? IT MUST BE HIM! Is he watching me? Is he waiting? What can I do? Though her body was frozen stiff, her mind was still very much active and filling her with fearful thoughts. Finally the car carried on its’ slow crawl down the empty road. The wind-battered trees transfixed Laurens’ eyes. It looked like they were barely holding onto their roots for dear life!

She pulled herself together and drew the blinds totally across so she couldn’t be seen from the outside. Slipping through the door, she wrapped her arms around herself fighting off the cold that engulfed her. She couldn’t understand how the Morlons could live in such a cold place in wintertime.

The old grandfather clock in the hallway carried on telling the time to itself, it’s ticking was a very lonely sound, like an age old Gentleman, looking worse for wear, but always on time.

The rain could now be heard clearly hitting the front door and the wind whistling through the gaps in it. It sounded so ghostly; normally Lauren would have liked that sound and found it spooky and fun! But not tonight!

Turning on the light, she peered up the dimly lit stairs. She wished they’d put in some brighter bulbs, it made the place look so dark. Slowly she began to climb up. The stairs creaking seemed so much louder now, yet she was trying to be as light-footed as possible!

Once at the top she headed into Leons’ room, the youngest of the three. He was tucked up in his bed fast asleep with one arm up over his head breathing deeply.

 

Well so far so good!
She quietly stepped out closing the door behind her. Next was Lukes’ room, he was the eldest. Same presidia this time, he was just as fast asleep with headphones over his ears. Two down one to go!

Next it was Leona; it was funny being in a house with everyone’s name beginning with ‘L’. Opening the last door she peered inside, but this time it wasn’t so easy to tell from the hall light so she crept in and her heart began to pound, the sheets were a mess.

"Leona," she whispered. "Leona, are you awake?" She could only hear the sound of the wind and rain outside. Edging closer, there came a flash of bright lightning from outside! She could now see that the bed was empty! Her hand flew to her mouth, this couldn’t be happening. A loud thunder crash shook the house, frightening the life out of her. The storm seemed to be right over them.

"BOO!" Leona jumped up from behind her bed. Lauren felt her heart fly up into her mouth. "Scared you!" she giggled climbing back into her bed.

Lauren wanted to scream at the girl and grab her by the shoulders, but she held it in, despite her fright! She didn’t want to wake the others. Instead she said in her imitation motherly tone, "You very bad girl, now got to sleep before I tell your mum and dad what you just did."

"Okay," she said as Lauren sorted out her quilt and for a moment she had totally forgotten about the baby-sitter attacks, but she was soon to get a reminder. As she closed the door and headed for the stairs there came a heavy pounding at the front door. Her heart had barely got over it’s last fright before it began to thud like a drum again!

 

Who on earth is that? Oh I don’t care who it is, the horror rules say don’t answer the door! It can’t be the Morlons because they have their own key to get back in! It has to be him!

As she headed downstairs, she froze right by the door. Lauren wouldn’t open it, but she had to find out who it was as the knocking continued, it seemed to be echoing right through her brain.

Kneeling down by the door, she lifted the flap on the letterbox and peered out. Her face was spayed with droplets of water so she had to squint, but there was no one at the door! She was just about to pull back when a black shape blocked her view of the frenzied trees, she shot back letting the lid slam shut.

She had to call the police, but the phone was dead! Then in panic she remembered her mobile phone. How could I be so thick and forget that? She hurried back into the living room and delved into her bag. She just hoped she’d have enough credit left, but when she turned the phone on, to her dismay there was no signal! She tossed the phone back; in annoyance more than anything else.

Well there’s no way I can ring the police now, what am I supposed to do sit here and die?! But Crust had said attacks on baby-sitters, not murders! Well that makes me feel so much better!

Suddenly there was a loud cracking sound and the lights went out!

"Just perfect!" she yelled at the house around her. "Got anything else you want to throw at me before this night’s out?!" She cursed the house and got to her feet when she heard a noise coming from the kitchen. Lauren froze once more. "Is the back door locked? I never checked it?"

In fear she crouched there for a moment wishing she’d wake up in her own bed and this whole nightmare hadn’t happened! There was no choice no, matter how she wanted to cower there in the dark she had to make sure the house was secure!

Pulling herself together she darted for the back door and grabbed the handle, it refused to move, the door was double locked. Lauren sighed with relief, but the curtains were still wide open, she could clearly see the raging storm outside and the raindrops pummelling the window.

Slowly she crept over to the window and peered out, she could see the dark forms of the trees moving to a soundless rhythm of the night.

 

He could be out there in any of those dancing shadows watching the house! Or maybe he wasn’t? Maybe he was inside and had cut the power!


Her question was soon to be answered; she could now make out the black form of a person moving out of the inky gloom towards the house. She wanted to scream but her hand flew to her mouth and stopped it. Then in a burst of instinct she darted for cover of the table. She cowered there her knees drawn up as she peered up at the window.

Then out of the driving rain, his form appeared, making her jump. He was wearing a large raincoat with its’ hood pulled right over his head. He seemed to press his face right against the window and peer in.

Has he seen me? Lauren couldn’t tell, from some angles it looked like he was staring right down at her, his hand touching the glass wiping some water drops away with his palm, like he was waving at her! She looked away in fright, a shiver running through her whole body.

Then she looked up for an instant and the figure had gone, leaving the rain to continue its assault on the glass, quickly filling the space where his palm had been. Placing her hand on her chest she relaxed a little.

Thank God he didn’t see me! She clambered out from under the table and got to her feet. Lightning flash’s lit up the room; there was no sign of the dark figure. Please be gone! But then she heard thumping sounds coming from the back door, she gasped and flung herself into the lounge! She saw light shining through the thin curtains and the gentle sound of a car engine turning over. Then she saw his dark silhouette before her in the steady stream from the car headlights! This time she really did scream! The figure jerked sideways for the door, if he hadn’t known she was there until now, well he knew now, and was coming right for her.

He began yelling and kicking at the door! She almost screamed again. All thoughts of the kids seemed to flee her mind; she only wanted to live. He wasn’t after them; he was after her! She turned and ran just as the door flew open wildly and let the wind and rain pour in.

Lauren knew he was right behind her; she darted as fast as she could for the back door. The key, as she knew, was hung on a small hook next to the door. She grabbed it and tugged but it wouldn’t come, she had to do it calmly. It came loose and she tried to place it in the lock but she kept missing the hole! She felt tears of panic. She’d just turned the key when a firm hand landed on her shoulder she screamed and pulled the door open.

She was out in the storm being beaten around by the wind and rain. She dare not look round to see where her attacker was, she had to get help. She ran round the side of the house and reached the road, for a moment she stopped and stared at the parked car outside the front window.

She heard him yelling crazily, but she couldn’t make out his words, they were dispersed by the raging thunder. He was now right behind her, Lauren dashed headlong down the dirt road, her feet splashing in the muddy puddles. She almost tripped a couple of times.

Stealing a quick glance behind her she noticed he was no longer there! Then in total horror she realised that the car was now moving. She was caught like a stunned rabbit in its’ cruelly bright headlights.

He can’t have me so he’s going to mow me down! The car behind her was speeding up, revving threateningly to her. There was only one option left, head for the woods at the roadside, there was no way he could run her down there. So she darted to the left and found herself in the thick woods, branches scratched her face and tugged at her hair as she ran!

The cars engine had died and she could here the sound of branches rustling behind her. Some by the wind, others by her crazed pursuer! He was somewhere in the woods stalking her like she was prey!

I must keep going! He’s calling! He wants me to give up and let him win! NEVER!

Suddenly she felt a rush of air all around her and the ground seemed to swallow her up! She was falling! Thump! Lauren hit the muddy bottom of a ditch. She lay there stunned for a moment, feeling the muck in her mouth. She spat it out in disgust. When she tried to pull herself up, she found that she’d twisted her ankle or something in the fall. She silently whimpered in pain.

 

I must get up! I must, I don’t wanna face him
! She was now crying, but her tears were mixed up with the pouring rain! Her hair fell in front of her face; she had to keep pushing it back so she could see!

Light made her squint and she gasped in horror! The tall figure stood over her shinning a torch menacingly down on her! In fright she tried to back away from him, but she kept slipping in the mud!

"Lauren," came his deep voice.

How does he know my name? He must have been watching me more than just tonight.

He reached his hand down to help her out, but she refused. She’d rather stay in the mud than go with him. Then he paused for a moment then he pulled back his hood and shone the torch on his face.

"Dad!" Lauren squealed.

"Sorry I scared you like that." He then helped her out from the hole and led her back to the path.

*

The three kids had been woken up by the noise, but were now back in bed. Laurens dad was busy in the kitchen making a cup of tea for them both, since the power was now back on.

She was huddled on an armchair covered in a blanket still shaking.

"I heard the news about the assaults of baby-sitters come over on the radio, so your mum and I got worried so we came home early. I tried to ring you but there was no answer then the phone went dead. So I came here to make sure you were okay. Then when you didn’t answer the door the first time, I had to go round the back. When I heard you scream like that I thought he was attacking you."

"Well I thought you were the attacker," Lauren stated, sniffing. "You really scared the life out of me dad."

"Sorry," he replied and smiled. "Guess I did." He carried in the cups of tea and sat down when there was a sudden knock at the door.

"I’ll get it," she said getting to her feet, but her dad grabbed her arm and held her back. "Don’t tell them I’m here okay!" He sounded very on edge, he didn’t even know who was at the door.

Lauren jerked away from him and went to the door; she pulled it open to reveal Crust again.

"Ma’am," he said tipping his hat like before. "Just came to check things were okay with you." He seemed to have noticed the dreadful muddy-state she was in.

"Fine," she said, but not sounding convincing.

"So is that the kids parents car?" he asked.

"Ah . . .Ah," she stuttered, she remembered her dads’ words about not telling them, she didn’t understand why, but after all he was her dad. "Yeah."

"May I speak to them a moment ma’am?"

"Ah yeah . . . Ah I mean no. They’re very busy at the moment. You know sorting out the kids."

"Oh." He raised his eyebrows. Lauren expected him to ask if he could come in and wait; but he didn’t. "Well ma’am I hope it hasn’t worried you too much." He turned to go.

"Did you get him?"

"No ma’am, but we will." Nodding, he turned and went back to the car, this time Lauren didn’t watch him go, she just headed back into the living room.

"Dad," she called out. "Dad!" There was no answer! He’d gone and left her; the downstairs was empty. Hearing the sound of a roaring motor she ran to the front window and watched her dads’ car zoom away into the stormy night.

Not long after that the Morlons’ returned and helped clean her up and gave her a lift home.

Mr. Shelby pulled his car up across the street from a large four bed roomed- house; only the downstairs light was on. He could just make out the figure of a girl, the baby-sitter on the phone. He smiled at the thought of what he was going to do next.

He was glad he’d gone to see Lauren; it was the only place he could go to elude the police. He hadn’t meant to scare her after all he wouldn’t hurt his own daughter, even though she was a baby-sitter!

He watched the rain slamming against the windscreen and the steady pounding of the wipers. Now was a time to remember; remember Michelle his sister. She’d died because a baby-sitter was too busy to care, in the end it was to late and she died. This was all for her, he waited patiently for her to finish off the phone then he dialled the house phone number!

 

 

Copyright © 2004 C M J Wood
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"