Who's Who
Achmyd Uajay

 

Of all sunny morns this was the best, maybe not that aesthetic. Unlike all-boring Monday’s, there was something special about his one, but I couldn’t figure it out. Last few months of my life had been great, I had been going steady with this girl, mahrosh. Well we were schoolmates I really liked her a lot and vice versa.
Now this is the part where our story begins, but it ain’t one of those lovey-dovey one’s. Instead it will keep you guessing till the end.
So this mahrosh girl and me were really close to each other. Maybe it was the independence of the relationship that made us stick together. But alas happiness does not last for long rite (read some don’t deserve it). I was opening my locker when she (mahrosh) scared me by a big boo! “Hey you scared me to death” said me (I wasn’t really scared but was just pretending). “So how’s life?” asked Mahrosh. “That’s strange she never asked that question?” thought me. There was an uneasy tinge in her voice, but she was trying to hide it. “Are u trying to hide something” asked me. “No why do you say that”, asked Mahrosh
“Just an intuition” I replied carefully. “ So what are your plans today, anything special”, asked I. “Nothing special, but I know I’ll be busy all day”, replied mahrosh.

“Oh common ‘yaar’ don’t be a spoilt sport, it won’t do ya any harm ”, said Kami.He was persuading me to come to the new rock band’s concert. We had just come to my house straight from school. “You don’t understand. I just don’t feel like doing anything, let alone go to a concert ” said me. “Well I dunno how to convince ya.besides u haven’t been acting quite normal lately ”said Kamei. “Oh! Think wotever u want to think but just leave me alone for now ” I said closing my eyes. “Ok I’ll leave u alone for now, but all the same u don’t seem allrite to Me ”said Kamei. Closing the door behind me. Before I knew it I was asleep.

The boat kept rocking under the strong ocean currents. The sea was the color of burnt coal, and the sky kept telling stories of the recent storm. Then suddenly amid my thoughts, I found out that I wasn’t alone. There was sumone else. A woman, I could tell because of the shoulder length hair. Her face was against me, turned towards the ocean. There was a certain aura about her that gave me an uneasy feeling. “Hello!” I called out, but no reply. “Hey lady can u hear me. How did I get on this boat?” asked me. Or rather “how did you get on this boat, and who the hell are u anyway ”I spoke under my breath. “Don’t bother to speak under your breath, ‘cuz I can listen everything u say and everything that u think”, said the strange woman (with utmost satisfaction). “Arrite she might be a cycic”, thought I “No I am not a cycic. I am an illusion and I am here to tell u that I love you.” said the strange women. “What!” I boomed. “Lady I might believe that you’re an illusion, but that u love me. That’s crazy.” I spoke in an infuriated voice. “it might sound crazy right now” replied the strange woman. The woman had turned her face, and it was no woman at all. It was a very beautiful girl. It was Mischal…. …Mischal!!!!, what..w..ha... are you doing here. I mean you r dead. I killed u myself” I stammered.

Yes I had killed her. But I had no choice, if I didn’t she would have killed the both of us…
Mischal was my next door neighbor. She was deeply in love with me, from the very first day, and vice-versa. Everything was going great, we had all the happiness that two lovers could ask for. But then I found out that she was deeply into drugs, and that she was involved in ‘sado-masochism.’ I tried to talk her out of it. But it was no use. And then she started getting very violent. And it was difficult, almost impossible to control her. When I felt helpless about the situation, I started avoiding her. But it was no use ‘cuz she kept stalking me. And then one day as fate would have had it. It finally ended. I was welding some old pipes in the garage to make a shoe rack, when I heard someone creep behind me. It was Mischal. Under other circumstances I would have been delighted to see her, ’cuz she looked absolutely ravishing and almost as deadly.

“Listen…I luv u.” blurted Mischal. “Its all over now, ther’s nuthin between us anemore” replied me. “Plz I cant liv without u. I just can’t…” replied Mischal.with tears in her eyes. “I’ve told u before and I am going to say it again, there’s nuthin I can do about it…” said me (Though I was very unsure about what I had just said). It was so easy for me to fall for her and say that “I luv her”. But I thought better of it. “Look Mischal u had ur chance to resolve urself. I did almost everything to stop u from destroying urself but…” continued me. “Ok than if that’s ur final decision, than I m going to kill my self” replied Mischal. “But bb..u cant kill urself” shouted me. “Oh yes I can and I am not going to die alone, I am going to take u with me. Then nuthin can separate us, our love will be eternal….just like we had promised each other” replied Mischal with a deadly grin. “Ur crazy, ur..u. really are. U shouldn’t do this...plz think again” replied me trying to keep my voice steady. But she was already advancing towards me. She was holding an ancient spear replica, but it was deadly enough to kill a grizzly. I cursed myself for leaving it there from last year’s history project. She made a wild swing but it just missed me buy a couple of inches. “I luv u and I’m going to kill ya” said Mischal with tears rolling down her eyes. She made another wild lunge, but this time it almost sliced my shoulder of my body. There was a deep gash near my shoulder, and it resulted in pain that was beyond my imagination. There was a sneer of satisfaction on Mischal’s face. She was coming in for the kill, and I thought that it would all be over now. But then something happened that saved my life but ended Mischal’s. Just as she was about to pierce my chest with the spear, suddenly out of no where I felt something under my fingers. Instinctively I threw it at her. It was one of the old pipes I had been working on earlier. It went straight for her legs. But Mischaal didn’t see it coming and tripped over it, and all that followed was just a blur. She fell straight over the half built shoe rack, and one of the protruding pipe pierced her chest .It was the most terrible scene, and I wished that I had closed my eyes. There lay in front of me the most beautiful girl that ever came into my life. She was my greatest love. But all was over now. I had lost it all..I had lost my life..and I blamed myself for it. If I had just said “that I love her…”all of this wouldn’t have happened.

I opened my eyes. I couldn’t register my surroundings. But all dawned upon me when I remembered that I had fallen asleep when Kamei had left .I realized that I was sweating, and it made me remember the horrific nightmare I had in my sleep. But I knew that it was no nightmare..it was no dream. It was all reality, the occurrences of the past that had changed the course of my life forever.
Sometimes I often think that why did things had to turn out this way. What were the gods thinking of when they destined me to this horrible ordeal?

I got up early next morning, and was at school before the birds were chirping. There were just a couple of people on the school grounds mostly the janitors. The day passed in a blur. The first period turned into third and before I knew it, the last period was over. I quickly packed my books and went to look out for Mahrosh,’cuz I hadn’t seen her all day. I spotted some of her friends and inquired about her. They said that they didn’t know where she was although they said that she was also looking for me. I continued my search and then just as I was about to loose hope I spotted her. She was standing near her locker. She didn’t look happy to see me, or rather I should say…wasn’t sure that she wanted to see me.

“Where have u been all day” I asked her in a concerned voice. “Well I was mostly in the girls common room” replied Mahrosh. “Girls common room!?” I repeated her, “but u hate that place.” cuz u said urself that “sitting in the girls common room was a total waste of character” added I. “well to be true to ya, I had been trying to avoid ya” said Mahrosh. “But what did ya do that for, u have never done that before” I replied trying to keep the frustration out of my voice. “Well I dunno. How to say this” she paused for what seemed an eternity “I..I I am not normal” said mahrosh. Almost on the verge of tears. “What do u mean ur not normal, u seem quite ok to me” said I. More puzzled then ever. “Saif have u ever heard of sado-maso...” replied mahrosh. Sobbing more than ever now. And then I knew what was coming. It was as if the girl standing before me was not Mahrosh but Mischal. She had also revealed her secret in the similar fashion. But I didn’t wait to let her complete what she was about to say. Instead I did the strangest thing, or rather the most ‘normal’ thing ran away. I ran as far as I could…as far as my legs could take me. Far… where I could think of what evil had I done in life to be getting such a harsh punishment? But deep in my heart I knew what that evil was…

 

 

Copyright © 2002 Achmyd Uajay
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"