A Simple Check Mark
Matt S Stemerman

 

John Vincent is walking down Broadway. He sees a group of hoodlums walking in his direction a little further up the street. As they get closer, John pulls his jacket tighter against his body. John tries to avoid them by stepping onto the street, but one of the boys bumps into him.

John says, “Excuse me guys.”

He walks down Broadway until he sees a diner that says, “Open 24-hours.”

“Can I get some coffee?”

The waitress replies, “Decaf or Regular?”

“Decaf, but with lots of cream. You don’t happen to have the time do ya miss?”

“Yeah, its 1:15.”

Ten minutes pass. John finishes the cup of coffee and reaches into his coat pocket to grab his wallet.

John yells across the diner, “Those fucking kids!”

The waitress comes back, “Is there a problem?”

“I was mugged and I didn’t even know it. I don’t know how to pay for this.”

The waitress gets the manager and he says, “Hey pal, I know how tough it is but I can’t believe some stranger. I need something to make up for the coffee. Kinda like collateral except I keep it.”

“What do you want, my coat? Will that make up for my dollar sixty-five cup of coffee? Would that be equal in your mind?”

“Whatever mister, just get the hell out of my diner. You cheap low life.”

John walks out and starts to head back to his friends apartment.

John is divorced; his wife had an affair. She took custody of their only daughter, Anna, who was sixteen at the time. They moved to Orlando. He hasn’t seen them since. John was an accountant for a stock brokerage firm in Lower Manhattan; his firm found out that he was involved with a woman that was suing him and it got him fired. John and the woman settled out of court, but between that, his alimony, and his child support, John lost his upscale apartment, his leased Audi A6, and his bank account hit rock bottom. After all of this, John turned to one of his friends, Jason, who worked at the firm and has been staying with him for almost a year now.

Jason knocks on John’s door, “You up yet John? I got some mail for you. It’s from some girl named Anna. I guess I’ll just leave it by your door then.”

John lays in his bed listening to what Jason is saying. He looks over at a picture of him and his daughter. They are ice skating at Rockefeller Center. He hears the front door shut and then goes out and opens the letter. He starts to read it:

“Dear Dad,

It may be as difficult for you to read this as it was for me to write this. I have so much to say to you, that I don’t even know where to begin. I’ll just tell you that I’ve been living in New York City for a few months now. The other day I was talking to my mom and I asked for your address. She gave it to me but when I went to your apartment, there was nothing there. I asked the manager if you had moved, and he said that you have been gone for almost a year now. Seeing as I’ve never really been brought up in any of your conversations, I was able to convince him of who I really am, and he gave me the address to where you are staying now. I have written my cell number on the other side of this note, so hopefully you will call me and want to catch up. It would really be worthwhile for me and a lot easier to talk in person.

Hope to see ya soon,

Anna”

John turns the paper over and writes the phone number down. He hops in the shower. Once he gets out, he calls Anna, but no answer. He hangs up before leaving a message. John looks through the cabinets and finds some food to cook. The phone rings and John runs to it.

“Hello?”

“John, is that you?”

“Yeah, who’s this?”

“It’s Anna, oh my god I can’t believe I’m listening to your voice. I haven’t seen you in so long. Do you want to meet me somewhere?”

“Well I was getting kinda hungry. I wouldn’t mind getting something to eat.”

“How about Portofino Grille?”

“Well that’s a problem; my wallet was stolen last night.”

“Don’t worry about it, this one is on me. So I’ll meet you up there in about thirty minutes?

“Um, that’s fine I guess, but I don’t have any money for a cab or train.”

“I’ll get a cab and head over to your place. So I’ll be there in about twenty minutes alright?”

John gets dressed and waits for Anna. He takes another look at the picture on the nightstand. He hears a knock and heads towards the door.

“Anna, is that you? My god have you grown up.”

What used to be a five foot five blonde is now a five foot nine brunette.

“Ya, I know Dad. I’m not the same little girl you remember. We have a lot of catching up to do, so how bout we get going?”

“Sure, let me grab my coat.”

They get to Portofino Grille and get seated.

“Can I start you guys off with something to drink today?”

Anna replies, “Sweet Tea please.”

“Water is fine for me,” John says.

“I’ll be back in a minute with those.”

“So catch me up on the past twelve years Anna.”

“Well I went to Syracuse University for four years and then went on to get my Law Degree from Boston U. After that I did an internship at a law firm. I moved to New York City after about six months or so of the internship and did some job hunting and came across a great opportunity. And now I’m a lawyer in Lower Manhattan.”

“What about your love life?”

“My work is my love life. I have no time outside of work to settle down. I mean there were a few guys in high school and college but no one wants to get married then. What about you, what have you been doing all these years?”

The waiter comes back, “Here you go, so you guys ready to order or do you need a couple more minutes?”

“We’re ready; I’ll have the Calamari Fritti to start and then the Pollo alla Parmigiana.”

“And what will you have sir?”

“I’ll have the Minestrone and then the Panino con, however you say that. The one with the meatballs and Mozzarella on Italian bread.”

“Alright, I’ll put those right in for you guys.”

“So Anna, where were we?”

“I believe we were getting to your life and what you have been doing.”

“Ok, well after your mom and I got divorced my life started to fall apart. I lost my job, my apartment, and car, basically everything I owned.”

“Why’d you lose all that?”

“Well between losing my job and making alimony payments and child support, you just can’t do all of that without a job.”

“Why not just get a new job. I mean you’re pretty qualified aren’t you?”

“I know, but it’s just complicated that’s all.”

“Well how can you afford that apartment then?”

“Um, well, it was a safety net. It was one thing that didn’t fall through.”

The waiter comes back, “Minestrone for you sir, watch out it’s hot. And Calamari for you Miss. Everything look okay?”

“Everything looks fine,” Anna replies.

“Alright, well you guys enjoy and the rest of your food should be out shortly.”

After about thirty minutes, John and Anna finally finish lunch.

“Thank you for lunch Anna. So where you off to now?”

“I’m just headed back to my apartment. Where you going?”

“I’m just gonna walk back to my apartment.”

“Well if you want you can come with me. I don’t mind.”

 John gets in the cab with Anna. They head uptown toward Central Park. Finally the cab stops and they get out and head into her apartment building.

John asks, “Now I see what kind of opportunity you came across.”

“See I told ya it was a great opportunity.”

“Must be nice to have a job.”

“Well, that’s something I may be able to help you out with.”

She opens the door to her apartment. John walks in, looks around, scratches his face and says, “I take it you just recently moved in here?”

“Yeah, about three months ago.”

The walls are bare; there are pictures on the floor by the part of the wall on which they are to be hung.

“What did you mean back there when you said you could help me out?”

“Well there is a position opening up at my law firm. Maybe I could get you an interview.”

“But, um. Well I don’t have any business suits or clothes.”

“I guess we’re gonna have to go shopping.”

“But you’ve done so much for me, I couldn’t ask you to do that too.”

“It’s fine, I don’t mind at all.”

“Ya, but I don’t know. I mean it would be great to have a job again but I’ve been out of it for awhile now. I just don’t know if it’s a good idea or not.”

“Sure it is. It’ll help you get back on your feet. But in the meantime you wanna go to Macy’s and get you a suit or two?”

“I guess, but whenever I get some money I’m paying you back.”

They go to Macy’s and Anna lets John pick out some nice pants and shirts. They go over to the shoe department and John sees a pair of black leather ones that have a gold buckle, just like the ones he used to wear on his way to work everyday. He slips them on one at a time.

“Now that’s what I’ve been missing. I haven’t worn shoes like these in almost a year. Isn’t it funny when you have everything, it’s just so normal to you, but when you take everything away, it all becomes a luxury?”

As they walk out of Macy’s, $425 later, John asks, “Why are you doing all of this for me?”

“Because I can John, I mean Dad. Parents always spoil their kids, so why can’t it be the other way around?”

“It just feels wrong that’s all. I appreciate it, but it’s just hard for me to accept this much stuff from you.”

“I know Dad, it’s ok though. I don’t mind at all. But I gotta get running. I’ll call you later about the interview with my boss okay?”

“Alright sweetheart. Thanks again for everything.”

Anna gets in a cab and is taken away. John starts to head back to the apartment. He walks in and Jason is sitting on the couch. He’s holding a beer and wearing his Jets jersey.

“Where the hell have you been man? It’s the fourth quarter already. We’re losing to the Bills. The fucking Bills. It just ain’t our year. Pennington goes out in the first week, pussy. Now we are left with this bum from the bench. Why you got all those bags? You win the lotto or something.”

“That mail I had, well, it was from my daughter.”

“Holy shit. Since when do you have a daughter?”

“Well I haven’t seen her in almost twelve years. She’s trying to get me a job at her law firm as an accountant though. I just don’t know what to do man. Although I haven’t seen her in twelve years, it feels like yesterday since I last saw her.”

“What are you gonna do about the job? They are gonna do a background check. What then? ‘Oh yea, I forgot to tell you about this one night I spent with a girl.’ Come on man, what were you thinking. You know that shit doesn’t just disappear.”

“I don’t know what to do. I need to talk to her about it. Can I get some money for a cab man; my wallet was stolen the other night by some kids.”

“Yeah, as always. Good luck man.”

He leaves the apartment and gets a cab to Anna’s apartment. He goes in the building and goes up to her room. He knocks on her door, but no one answers. He goes back down to the main entrance and walks up to the doorman.

John asks, “Do you know where Anna went?”

“She went to Central Park for a walk I believe.”

“That’s great; she’s walking around the biggest park in New York City. Thanks for all your help.”

John runs to Central Park. He finds a trail and sticks to it, he’s walking with a fast pace, but not running. He sees a lady wearing almost the same thing as Anna, sitting on a bench by one of the other trails and heads over to her.

“Anna, I have to talk to you.”

The slightly order woman replies, “Who the hell are you? Get away from me!”

John keeps searching through Central Park. About half an hour goes by and still nothing. John then sees another woman resembling Anna and discourages himself by saying it’s not her and walks away. Just as he is walking away, a slight cry of “John” peeps out of the young lady’s mouth. John turns and starts to head over to her.

“Anna, I found you.”

“What is it?”

“It’s about the job offer. Don’t they have to do a background check?”

“Ya, but why would that be a problem for you?”

“Well, I had an incident awhile ago and I think it’s gonna affect them hiring me. That’s why I’m unsure about this interview.”

“What happened?”

“It was just an incident; I don’t wanna talk about it right now.”

“Well do you want me to set up the interview or not, because I’m not sure how long this job will last. Accountants are pretty abundant in this city, so if you want it I have to know.”

“Um. I guess go ahead and set it up.”

 “I’m pretty busy tomorrow, but I can take you into my office on Tuesday if you want?”

“That’s fine with me.”

John and Anna walk back to her apartment. Anna orders some Chinese food for the two of them. After dinner, John says good night and heads back to the apartment. He walks in and Jason is on the couch sleeping. John goes into his room and picks the picture up from the nightstand and stares at it for awhile.

John says to the picture, “Anna! I don’t know how to tell you this, but I-”

Jason walks in, “Calm down. Jesus, you’ll wake up the whole building.”

“I thought you were sleeping.”

“Ya, until I heard you scream.”

“I’m just figuring out what to do. She set me up with an interview on Tuesday. I can’t keep doing this.”

“Why don’t you take her out to dinner or something and explain it to her?”

“Ya, if only it were that easy. I don’t know, maybe. Could I borrow like $40 then?”

“You better get this job; I don’t know what to do with you. You’re starting to make me go broke.”

The next morning John wakes up. He calls Anna to ask about the interview.

She picks up, “Hey, I’m kind of busy right now, what do you need?”

“I was just wondering what time I need to be at your place tomorrow morning.”

“Be there around 8:30 ok?”

“Alright, I’ll be there.”

It’s Tuesday morning, 7:30am. John has already showered and is now putting on his suit. He grabs his electric razor and grooms his face while he stares into the mirror.

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen today, but don’t completely fuck it up,” Jason utters to John.

“Thanks for all the encouragement buddy. I don’t know how it’s all gonna shape up either. But I’ll let you know.”

John leaves the apartment and grabs a taxi. He heads to Anna’s apartment. He makes it to her apartment at 8:15. He knocks on her door, and several minutes later she finally answers.

“Hey, sorry I was doing my hair. I’m definitely not a morning person.”

“I can tell. You still got a hair curl in your hair.”

“Oh, crap. Thanks. See what I mean. You ready to go?”

“I guess so. Let’s just get it over with.”

Anna and John head out and get a taxi. They head to Lower Manhattan, past Times Square and Macy’s. After a fifteen minute cab ride, they get to Anna’s office building.

“You work in there?”

“Yeah, that’s me. The 38th floor.”

“Jesus, you hit the jackpot with this job.”

They go into the building and grab an elevator to the 38th floor. The elevator doors open and Anna walks out.

“Aren’t you coming Dad?”

“Uh, yeah. I’ll be there in a sec.”

Anna leads him down the office hallways. She takes him to her office and then calls her boss to see if he is ready. She walks out of her office and back down the hallway.

“Come on Dad, it won’t be that bad.”

“Oh, you have no idea,” he utters under his breath.

Anna gets to her boss’ office door and creeps it open, “Mr. Douglas, this is my father John Vincent.”

“Hey John, come on in. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Mr. Douglas, Thank you for this opportunity.”

“Well gentlemen, I will leave you alone. Good luck.”

“You have a great daughter John.”

“Thank you sir.”

“So you think you’re qualified enough for this job John?”

“I’d say so. I’ve been an accountant for almost twenty years. I know the job inside and out.”

“Anna tells me you’ve been laid off for about a year though. What happened?”

John’s eyes dart around the room, “Um, well sir. They were ‘downsizing’ and I was just one of those people who got the ax.”

“I’m not gonna beat around the bush; I got a lot of people asking for this job. I tried to save a spot for Anna because she has helped this firm out a lot. I need to make sure that you can do the same. Can I trust you?”

“Yes sir. I’d be happy to take the job offer.”

“Alright. It sounds like a good deal to me. We just have to run a background check and information if you won’t mind filling out these papers.”

John starts to fill out all of the basic information. As he gets toward the end of the application he gets to the background check section.

John reads the question, “Have you ever been convicted of a crime?”

“Mr. Douglas, can I step out for a second?”

“Go ahead.”

John closes the door, and then darts toward the elevator. He sees Anna in her office and goes in the elevator. He gets to the ground level and runs outside. He sits down on a bench outside of the building. He looks up at the sky and then hears his name being called. He turns back toward the building and sees Anna running toward him.

“Anna, I’m sorry but I can’t do this. I can’t keep lying. I got to the background check questions. I stared at it for awhile and I just couldn’t check ‘No’. I can’t do it anymore.”

“What did you do Dad? What is it you won’t tell me?”

“I-I-I had sex with a seventeen year old. I was at a bar one night and there she was. She was amazing. She was drinking Amber Bock. I thought she was old enough, but I guess someone else bought her that drink. I just couldn’t keep my eyes off her, Amie was her name. We went back to my place. I put some music on and grabbed some wine. We laid on the couch and talked. After awhile I couldn’t contain myself. She said she wanted to so it wasn’t rape. But that doesn’t matter. She took me to court and that’s how I lost my job. We reached a settlement and she drained me. It cost me almost all of my money to make her disappear from my life. I lost it all. I had nothing to my name. I didn’t know where to turn. Finally, my friend Jason who worked with me at the firm told me I could live with him.”

“Dad, I don’t know what to say. I wish you would’ve told me about this. But how can you afford that apartment?”

“It’s not mine. It’s Jason’s. I’ve been living with him ever since. That’s the only thing that has gone right for me since. And now you have come back into my life. It seemed like everything was turning around for me, until I got to that question. That’s when it happened. I couldn’t do it. I broke down.”

“I’m at a loss for words. I just hope that my boss doesn’t fire me now. I made him hold the spot open for a day or two so that you could come in and impress him, and you walk out on him.”

“I’m sorry Anna. I don’t know what to do. I’m sorry.”

John puts his head down and covers it with his arms. Anna drops a twenty dollar bill by his feet. John picks it up and turns his head. She is walking back into her building.

John takes the money and grabs a cab. He heads back to the apartment. Once he gets there he decides to give Anna a call. He doesn’t invite her for dinner, but he leaves her a message asking her to come over after work for dinner and to talk.

John calls Jason, “Hey, do you have a minute to talk?

“Yeah. How’d it go?”

“Terrible. I got to the background check part, and I left. I couldn’t do it. Anna caught up to me and I told her everything. I don’t know what to do now. I called her and invited her over here for dinner. So do you think you could maybe find something to do so she and I can talk?”

“Yeah, I guess John. I don’t know what I’m gonna do but just call me whenever you guys are done alright? Good luck man.”

“Thanks.”

John gets off the phone and goes down to the local butcher and gets two 8-oz Filet Mignons. After, he goes to the local grocery corner store. He buys some potatoes and some seasons. He calls Anna once he gets back to the apartment, but no answer. He leaves a message asking her to come over for dinner around six. It’s now around 5:30 p.m. and John still hasn’t heard from Anna. He decides to start cooking. As John is cooking the meal, Anna knocks on the door.

John opens the door, “I guess you got my message. Thanks for coming.”

She says, “What are you doing?”

“I wanted to talk about everything that has happened. Did your boss say anything about me?”

“He told me he was disappointed in me, because of how many people applied for that job and I made him hold a spot for you. You left me hanging Dad.”

“Anna, I didn’t know what to do. Check ‘Yes’ and not get hired or check ‘No’ and lie about it and then later have them find out. What would you do?”

“I honestly don’t know. I can’t believe Mom never told me about that.”

“Well, I never told her. Your Mom and I don’t talk too much. After the divorce, we just never got back to being friends.”

John goes back to the kitchen and takes the food off the stove and then goes out onto the porch and takes the steaks of the grill and brings them inside. John has made Filet, mashed potatoes, and even opened up one of Jason’s bottles of wine that he had lying in the wine cooler.

John sets the table and serves the food. He makes a toast, “Here’s to a girl, a woman, who has taken me into her wonderful life and has helped me try and turn mine around. I thank you for everything you are doing for me, and I hope that we can continue to have this kind of dinner regularly. I’m sorry for the hurt that I have given you and I hope that you accept my apology. Hopefully we can restore our family that has decayed through the years.” John raises his glass to Anna; she cracks a smile, grabs her glass and clings it to John’s.

 

 

Copyright © 2006 Matt S Stemerman
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"