Living A Dream (1)
Maheshwar Sinha

 




  LIVING A DREAM


        ‘Papa, I want to ask a question.’
‘No my dear pretty child, not now, I’m so sleepy and tired.’
‘Just one, it’s so simple!’
‘Oh! Your questions have never been a simple one, my little daughter Kuchu...’
‘But this time - - - - it’s so-so-so- simple - - -.’
‘Ok! You’re allowed, but just one, and it should never two, remember just ‘one’, I’m really drowsy.’
‘Papa you’re so sweet! Thanks papa!’-She hugged him, after a second while Kuchu resumed-‘could you tell me how I might get the moon that travels in the dark nights over sky!’
‘Oh God! Such a simple question!’ – He shook his head.
Mother of Kuchu wore a magnetic smile over her face. Kuchu asks such a simple question, a seven year’s old little angel. She, preparing to go to bed, got interested over the moment to see how he would satisfy her. Such a simple question!
Yes, she was just of seven, but used to ask her father such mysterious questions. Once she had asked– ‘Papa! Who are the mom and dad of God?’ ‘Papa! When there was no God - - - - When there were not his Mom and Dad - - - - and there were not to them - - - - and not to their - - - - and their - - - - when there were no any Mom and Dad - - - then what was - - -, what existed - - -?’
‘Oh! Then - - -, then - - -! When there was none, you existed - - - -!’ Papa had replied her. But dissatisfied she had said angrily- ‘you’re just making a joke - - - -it can’t be - - -!’
             Kuchu was serious, she was not in a mood to make a mockery or tell a joke! Papa you must give me reply. You’ve to - - -!
She used to be rigid on such occasions.
But how? The question was that - - - - that there could be no answer the question she has asked. It looks answerless!
Papa tried her to turn off the track!
‘My dear! How this question got into your mind?’
‘The class teacher has asked me - - -.’ – She said carelessly.
‘Wow! What a great lie - - - the teacher would have asked questions of mystery, for a kid of a class three standard!’ – Papa smilingly thought, glancing over her innocent lie - - -!
He asked – ‘Did you reply to your teacher, my dear little daughter?’
‘I didn’t, I’d make reply when you’ll - - - OK my dear papa!’ – She made a simple innocent pretend.
‘Why to me - - -, why not to your mom - - -?’
‘Because you read books and books only - - - - - you know everything - - - - - mom is not a good reader!’-she looked firm.
Her mother was enjoying over this merriment. Papa was caught. Lo! Read books - - - -! Read books!! And give answer now. No escape!
Papa’s dull mood had declined. He awoke. He had to make a reply, at least to satisfy a seven year’s old querying – little brain.
He tries – ‘Little Baby! When there was no God there was a great Hallow - - - a zero like - - -!’
‘When that great Hallow was not - - -?’
‘O! Beyond that - - - - that - - - - how should I tell you - - - -, my dear, you grow a bit, I’ll give the answer!’
‘No! I want right now - - - - now - - - - now - - - and now - - - -!’
‘No, no - - - and no!!’
‘Now - - - - now and now - - - - Right now, and no any ‘no’ ‘no’ … ‘no’…!’
Papa murmurs – ‘O little brain! Such questions have never been given an answer since time immemorial - - -, how could I - - - -.’ – But he could not go away weeping or getting annoyed, and angry. Kuchu needs the answer, the answer that satisfies her.
Let’s come on the ground. I would try my best. Listen.
Mom was getting delighted, her husband, a book – lover breed, papa of Kuchu found struggling for breathe - - - - his little kid has made him answerless with her simple questions! It seems that countless words have stood up in front of him to ask a reply, Kuchu, his darling has taken a shape of question.
Mother was glad to see all these.
Listen, Papa was telling:
When there was nothing,
When there was no moon,
When there was no sun,
When there were no twinkle stars,
When there was no dark,
When there was no light,
And when there were no any Mom and Papa, neither or either of it - - - any of them,
Then, then - - - - then…,
Then you were - - - your soul to be aware - - -.
Again making a serous joke! No, but she now could believe somewhat seriousness of the moments and found some honesty there - - -!
‘When there was no soul?’ – Again put under she same trouble - - - -!
‘Then there was an ultimate soul – ‘God’.
‘And when God was not there- - -? And also his mom and pa weren’t - -?’
‘Oh! There was not such a time when there was nothing - - - -! There was no any a time that beings - - - that comes to an end - - - there would be no time - - - -!’
‘Now tell me - - - who was Mom and Dad of that God- - -?’
‘O! My sleepy mood - - -! I was so sluggish - - - - your question has made me a wrestler - - -. I’m beaten - - - defeated - - -.’
‘But you’ve to tell me - - -!’ – She makes a good threatening
‘Suppose his Mom and Dad were he, he himself - - -!’
‘How is that possible?’ – She protested.
‘But it was - - -, it was like - - - something like that - - - because you are so little - - - when you would get maturity, you would understand the difference between a numbers and to be numberless - - -!’
‘I didn’t follow Papa! You talk lie - - -!’ I’m bored - - - I couldn’t get my reply.’
‘Just wait, I’m trying another way. Have you eaten guava, haven’t you!’
‘Yes, I do like it much.’
‘Now, you get seeds in it - - - okay - - -?’
‘Okay, I do get - - -!’
‘If I say that a seed contains several guavas, will it be wrong?’
‘Yes - - - it is wrong - - -!’
‘No, It is right - - - -.’
‘How? A guava contains several seeds, not a seed contains several guavas.’
‘Let me clear it, because a seed can produce a plant, and then a tree - - -? Is it true?’
‘True.’
‘If a seed can produce a tree then a tree can bear thousands of guavas, and several guavas have numberless, countless seeds - - -.’
‘Yes’ – She nodded.
‘Means just one seed can produce a tree, a tree can leads to several trees - - - and then forest - - -! Is it clear - - - Am I wrong - - -?’
‘No - - -!’
‘Just think, just one small dot like a seed can become forest covering our vast globe - - - okay? I just to make it explain that a beauty and strength of a dot, just like a ‘bindi’ on forehead at you mom, see the beauty of your mom…, similarly this Cosmo is - - - just one small dot like thing can create such an endless world. You should ask who are the mom and dad of seed. Ask - - -?
‘Who are?’
‘It could be a tree - - - - then question reversed to its answer - - - - could be tree or could be a seed - - -.’
‘Means when there was nothing there was a seed, a ‘bindi’, a dot like point’.
‘As you perceive it - - - - it could be ultimate.’
‘Then who were mom and dad of that dot - - - -??’
Her Papa wished for a sleep, pretended to be overpowered by it, and fallen to asleep, snored mildly to make her convinced.
‘You are not replying - - - -?’
‘ - - - - - -.’ – Papa kept quiet. Only there was a nose with two nostrils, murmuring something musical.
And mom, she was dreaming.
Dissatisfied Kuchu, for a moment became thoughtful then overpowered by sleep she went through her sweet dreams of fancy.
Today Kuchu has arisen another, new kind of wish to fulfill, for her play with the blooming moon. How she would have of it.
Papa gives answer – you’ll get it - - -.
She a bit surprised – ‘really! Will I get it - - -! O! So nice of you papa!’ – She takes a puppy on papa’s cheek. She is excited. For a moment she weaved herself into a fancy of trance; playing with moon.
Her papa managed for her well – wishes. And assures that she would also get accompany of twinkling stars.
Kuchu was really unable to express her delight, yaaah - - -!
Kuchu asks for it in hurry. Papa makes assured her to wait for some days!
Kuchu gives and takes several kisses, puppy - - -!
Mom got jealous.



It was a full moon, very bright. The sky was clean. Twinkling stars had an appearance as if they were opening and closing of a newly born baby’s eyes. Mr. Moon seemed to have been an emperor of the sky as there were no patches of clouds.
And, with this undefeated king of the kingdom, Kuchu was playing. Yes, her dear, loving papa has made this majestic world open for her. In the open terrace with the help of a large mirror and a huge tub, full of water where Mr. Moon has emerged out to play with little chaps, and have fun with them.
Wow! Kuchu couldn’t play alone. She couldn’t contain her delight alone. She has collected all her colleagues to share in this miracle game. Amazing world has opened for them. It just was divine! No one would have such an experience! Her father has made this possible. She invited all to come and share her amazing game. Rinu, Rinki, Pintoo, Jhintoo, Mr. Dyna, Annu all came in. ‘Come to catch and play with Mr. Moon and some sleeping stars, peeping and twinkling stars!’
It was an eternal moment. She was the queen of the moment. No one would dare to touch Mr. Moon getting down and invited into her tub, without her permission. She commands everyone to come, touch, communicate and talk, have some play with the majestic guest. She has become a dictator and her dictatorship was being welcomed by everyone. Happily yet! Friends waited for her blessing. They all wanted to please her. Bargaining and making business for her kind invitations have become a reality, the then moment of divinity.
Mr. Dyna who was too naughty and used to tease Kuchu, was waiting for his turn to have a chance to make a glance of Mr. Moon, and was very last in Queue. Now this was a time to make him realize, to take revenge - - - - he is thirsty - - - jumps here and there to play with - - - - but being scolded - - -and he has been getting remembered to his bad deeds and naughtiness done earlier. It was supposed to be a punishment for him. Kuchu threats him, scold him. Colleagues support Kuchu and accompany her full heartedly.
          ‘Have you ever shared us with your kites, tell me now!’- Polly tried to get him reminded.
          ‘You never have been a good friend, you eat guava and apples alone.’-Bittu made a complaint.
           ‘And you cheats while playing balls and hide ‘n’ seek. Don’t you?’-it was Shruti, a very little girl.
Mr. Dyna feels pale, very close to be faded away and fall tears.
But Kuchu was so spirited and blessed with her majestic world that her err or hurt of heart wouldn’t exist for long. She pardoned him and made an invitation to Mr. Dyna. But she warns, ‘don’t touch Mr. Moon. I’m kind to you, but I don’t believe on you. Promise you’ll not dare to pick – pocketing my twinkling little stars. I’ll check you pocket whether it has been theft. Friends also cautioned him off.
It became a divine luck for Mr. Dyna. When he was allowed, hurriedly he pounced over it and tried to catch Mr. Moon that appeared to be floating there; suddenly water of the tub a bit got oscillating.
Oh! Mr. Dyna our Moon sir doesn’t like you - - -, he has expressed his disgust - - - - oh! Mr. Moon sir knows you how much naughty you’re!’
‘Sorry sir! I’ll not make any harassment to you and to any of twinkling stars, I swear!’
‘Lean Down - - - lean down - -, get down to your knee…, Mr. Moon sir wants to punish you.’ – Kuchu commanded, and others repeated.
Mr. Dyna leans down, bows down at the floor, in front of Mr. Moon Sir, and makes sorry.
Mr. Moon appears with his smiling full face.
‘Well, seems he has pardoned you, but I know what you’re, so watch him but in a helicopter stance.’- Kuchu makes an order to stand straight there stretching his both hands straightway to shoulders, get a gait up of helicopter first and then watch.
‘Just talk, and never lower down your hands!’-One of friends warned him.
He began talking – sir! Give me a good lottery ticket, I just want so many rupees and coins - - -. I want huge amount of toffees - - - - toffees - - - - and toffees – ice cream - - - - guavas, handful of apples - - - - a new cycle for riding - - - - strength for fighting - - - - give me Sir - - - - Bless me Mr. Moon Sir - - - -! Give some Saka – Laka – Boom – Boom –Sir - - - -!’
Friends make laughter.
Others care for their mom and dad, their studies. But none demanded for money or things like Saka – Laka Boom – Boom and strength for fighting.
Kuchu Suggested to Mr. Moon- ‘sir, never give him so many rupees and Saka – Laka - - - otherwise he will be quarrelling anytime everywhere with anybody. Many pets, birds, and street dogs are stoned off his target. He climbs on the branches above the height. He is a guava thief. He also destroys our pretty flowers. So, don’t bless him Sir!’
‘Yes sir, Kuchu is right!’
‘Now you can go - - - - your turn has finished.’ – Friends tried to make him away. He persists.
In this way, a Dreamy world of kids had become alive. The Moon over the sky was floating steadily, and its place was to change. The tub and mirror didn’t have straight focus on it.
Kuchu suggested that Mr. Moon sir was ready to go home.
‘Now, come on friends we should say him Good Bye and a very Good Pleasant Night for him!’
 Mr. Dyna stopped them and told – ‘Eh! Friends, Mr. Moon Sir have no Good Nights, but only Good Days!’
Again friends laughed. But Mr. Dyana’s face was expressionless.
Parents of Kuchu were enjoying to see them.
Mom looked in a complaining mood, asked – ‘couldn’t have you make pretended and turn them off, all are dreaming. You too are a great fool.’
‘But look at them, how delighted they are!’
‘But they’re in Day’s dream - - - -.’
‘Ah! They are not dreaming but living a dream - - - we should try to learn…!’
‘You should go for learning - - - - I’ve lots of domestic work to do - - - -!’ – She walked out.
He was smiling - - -!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - * - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -














The Rebellious

                                                                                   


‘Just it’s matter of a week or so, till then we request you to have him, well, though a little naughty but he’s good after all.’-said Doctor Sahib.

‘No problem, not at all! At least he still is a very child!’-Mama assured him glancing to that new comer, ‘what’s your name little boy?’

The boy kept silence and just downed his face.

‘Looks shy…’- Said Mama
 
‘Wait a moment; he’s so naughty, ha...ha…!’-Mrs. Doctor laughed.

‘Kids have every right to be so ha…ha…!’-Mama

‘So!’ Doctor Sahib turned to little boy and asked warningly-‘I hope you won’t give me any chance of complaining there, OK?’

‘Don’t worry, we would take care.’-assured Mrs. Mama

His name was Jigar, just seven or eight years old, a country boy, belonging to a poor family. He was pretty with round big eyes, flat nose, a bit wider lip, and curly hair, ear rounded and small. He was very playful and laughter - lover. Only children and a freed soul can make such laughter. And there he was!
Doctor Sahib (sir) has left him to his ‘Mama’ (a maternal uncle), who was four or five miles away of his house, a worker in the factory. Doctor Sahib was going for a leave, out of station for some days with his wife. Jigar was a home-servant. He thought the idea to drop him there till their return. He would do some domestic works here and be helpful to them.
 
Because Jigar used to be a house member, and living together with the members of the house, he had to work some domestic jobs given. For this, Jigar’s father would get a monthly payment, besides lodging, clothing and foods were free. In a moderate sum it’s not difficult to pick the kind of domestic help in over populous country like India.
 
Initially being new to atmosphere Jigar was somewhat hesitating there at Mama’s house, remained disciplined and quiet. Soon over, talkativeness and friendliness of Mama and the rest children Ramesh, Dinesh and Harish too made him free. Mama was not a kind of person who believes behaving a child as a servant, because, he himself was a laborer, next there was never a domestic servant in his house, neither his father had. A house going hand to mouth how could maintain it! They themselves were the server. Besides, Mama was a relative to doctor Sahib, a respectable person in the society, a thing belonging to him should go back him safely and well handled. Hence by any reason, there was no question of a relationship known as master and servant!

Jigar would play with children and neighbor, but never forget his duty. (?)

It’s a good morning, Jigar has cleaned the floor, and then dripped sprinkles of water on the dry surface to make it pleasant, floor are shining, no dust and no dirt. Plates, bowls, glasses, cups, mugs… jars... all had kept and are finished, well cleaned, all have finished bed-tea; the cups would be kept in its proper place; someone wishes for a glass of water, Jigar doesn’t wait. He got it! Mama is surprised, hey! Where I had been demanding to you… okay…...! Keep it down if you’re so willing! Next the glass would be at its position. Table cleaned. It’s a time for lunch. Without any order Jigar has put and arranged water-glasses, jug….bowls…., and when you’ve finished, he is there with napkins.., again the plates picked off back to their place. Mama has taken his morning bath; Jigar is ready to serve him comb and mirror. Then he would walk for some green vegetable from nearby local market. The crude materials of night dinner, potato, onion, tomato….ginger... spices…., all are prepared….Ah! How lucky Doctor Sahib was! He got a smart lad, everything knows what and where in the kitchen things had been kept over, he uses and puts it on those shelves, arranged in order.., a clean work. From tea –leaves, sugar, rice, ‘dal’,’dhaniyan’, to salt ask him. It is a time for Mama’s shaving; the set is ready before you. Dettol water is ready for after shave. Don’t worry, things would be arranged at its place. He would clean the mirror, wash brush nicely, blades wiped and dried before keeping in the razor, nay, Mama wants to take a little rest after his lunch, have stretched flat on the bed, Jigar would be on his leg side, playing with his toes, and ankle…, would acupressure his parts as if he was an expert. Would try to make a ‘putt’ sound from his toes, would make a vigorous laughter when achieved. Thereafter he turns on his head side to play with his hair….ears… forehead…, sometime over his neck and armpit side, Jigar with his little naughty fingers would try to make a terrace there… just for a pleasure….! Mama would complain with smile- hey! Making fun naughty…..!
 
The fate of the house has got a complete change. The house looks ever-ready, ready to welcome a guest, a special guest! Earlier, where a thing was to seek with all its artillery, to feel as if a battlefield there, whether a little thing like a comb, or a towel, when Mama is hurry for his factory…., siren just to come, he is uncombed… he’s crying, Mami…… children all are horribly hurried, oh! It got with a nice fight in the corner of a table laying, similarly his underwear is missing, he cries…, campaign operation is going on… and it was below Ramesh’s pillow…! Thanks god, got it…! This used to be a picture of a day; things like underwear had no destination, got sometimes in the shelf, picked out sometimes beneath the cushion of sofa. Now, it all has a position. Even Harish, who is almost same aged of Jigar’s, his note-books, bags, water-bottles, Tiffin, compass, pens, rubbers, books… all would get in one hand. Jigar had made them free, to think nothing. The map had a total change!

Too many works still finds time to play with Harish, Ramesh and Dinesh. Very interesting, either it is ‘gilli-danda’, football, cricket, kite-playing…. balls… he’s omnipresent!

Still he is hungry. At the bed times, Jigar is ready to poke Mama’s toes and feet to ‘putt’ a sound. To rub and smash his head…..!

Mama would protest mildly, no, my son! You’re too little, don’t touch my feet…! (In our tradition elders don’t let touch their feet to an infant or child as it is commonly believed a sinful deed).

No! He’s naughty, he enjoys making ‘putt’…, and he never missed a chance to shiver Mama’s sole of the feet….!

He makes a good laughter… free… long…., and deep..!

Mama would complain- naughty! You always a mocker! Eh . . .?

Mama came to realize that he was very good in massaging, pressing and in his special ‘putting’. A sweet pleasure would run into the vessels on his ‘putt’. Mama out of delight would ask- hey! So nice of your hands, how you’ve learnt, who made you teach…? I think Doctor Sahib has given you good lessons. He would then laughs- oh!! He just would laugh…, as if saying no can teach such lessons.

After that, Mama never stretched out his feet to touch, it was a sin. But Jigar didn’t go away completely, Mama’s head, hair, ears, neck; arms were his pitch to deliver.

It’s okay! It’s too much, I’m fresh. You’ve excellent hands; leave me…, who trained you? - Mama would always be telling.

And he burst laughter of a free soul.

Now Mama had noticed that whatever cleanness and arrangements had come in the house was only due to him. It was stunning. How systematic he was! Oh! Very creative… brilliant… but a slave….! (To some extent) He was so easy in doing his works as it never appeared that a work really had done! No difference between a work, duty and life. The life was intermingled to his works and passion! Very nice talkative, a keen in playground, he was a child, he got birth right to play with playfulness!

He sighs…..!

 

 

Go to part:2 

 

 

Copyright © 2009 Maheshwar Sinha
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"