The Light Side Of Dark
Lisa M Setser

 



****


Loves a funny thing.

An angel named Azerial seems to believe that fact, being on earth for so long he has seen many things he would think to be quite silly. Like paying fifthly dollars for one single shirt, for example, or dressing very nice with boots and big hoop earrings just to go to a store to buy a CD then come simply back home. Being with Samera for nineteen years he has seen these things and wondered, why? Azerial is a Guardian Angel and Samera is the girl he was assigned to when she were born, he is to keep eye over her until her death day.

Azerial also likes to go shopping with her, he loves to wear white and bright colors, and baby blue is his favorite color. Blue is also the color of his eyes, he also has spiky blond hair that is always messy. He isn�t very tall but he isn�t very short either, but he doesn�t care about his appearance, he believes everyone has beauty in there own way.

Of all the silly things in the world he believes that love is the silliest one of them all. Samera has pictures of a boy posted all over her room with tiny red hearts mostly of them say I love you. He finds this kind of odd, he loves animals and flowers but he doesn�t post them all over the place. Samera calls him her boyfriend. Curious about this whole boyfriend/girlfriend sort he went to the city library to check out a book being that he loves to read.

 Instead he found a book entitled, I Love You Always. Well the word 'love' was on the cover so it had to be something about girlfriends and boyfriends. He read that book for days on end hardly ever sitting it down, it was about a young girl and a young boy that fell in love and did all kinds of nice things together such as going to a picnic near a lake with many flowers and trees. And then eventually getting married and having a baby. Azerial thought this idea was all fine and well and decided he wanted a girlfriend so he could do nice stuff like this with. 

***

"You want a girlfriend? Why?"

It was a warm spring day, early Saturday morning and Azerial was sitting in the local park with his good friend Loki playing checkers on a stone table with benches. 

"I just thought it would be nice, I read this book I found and it was very sweet," Azerial said moving a red checker piece and hopped it over three of his opponents� checkers.

"Well you know how it is down here, you should hear some of the stories Gaberial tells," Loki said staring at the board thinking of a next move.

"Gaberial? Isn�t his job to get all the humans together and married and such?"

"Yep. He says it�s getting harder and harder, everyone wants to cheat on everyone. And kill their wife�s and everything, its horrible." Loki said finally making eye contact.

"Well I would never do that,"

"Of course, you wouldn�t. But were angels we couldn�t possibly think of doing that."

"Even though I would not think twice about locking the gates on Hope sometimes."

"I know. He drives me loony."

A nice game of checkers would make anyone lose contact with the outside world and just be in trance for a good while, as Azerial and Loki played on they didn�t seem to notice a girl to be flying towards them at a fast rate holding a skateboard. Before they knew it she fell against the stone table knocking all checkers and the board onto the ground. 

"Oh dear, are you ok?" Azerial asked getting off his seat to help her up off the ground.

"Yah, I'm fine!" The girl said jumping up, dusting the dirt off her purple shirt. 

"Your not hurt or anything?"

"No sir! I�m good, I'm a tough girl." 

"Well here�s your skateboard," Azerial said picking up the skateboard of the ground. 

"Oh that�s not mine," she said taking it.

"What do you mean?"

"I stole it," She said looking around breathing deeply.

But before Azerial would get a word out she opened her mouth again, replied "Opps! Gotta go!" And she ran off more quickly than she arrived. Azerial was speechless as she ran off down the street past a couple of trees and saw three or more police chasing right behind her. He had no idea what to think of what just happened, he had heard of people stealing but she seemed she was having a good time with it, running from the cops and so on.

"What a strange girl," Loki said, as he just regained his speaking ability.

"She�s very strange. But she was pretty."

"Pretty!" Loki said shocked. "If you like that kind of thing," he sniffed his nose and started to pick up the checker pieces.

Ch 2. 

The mystery girl was indeed pretty, as Loki said if you like that sort of thing. She had black long hair that lied to the back of her shoulder blades, light blue eyes with a shade of green, a very elegant face and a tiny body. She had a purple shirt on with a sword on fire and wore baggy black jeans, he thought she looked nice. She had to be one of the prettiest girls he had ever seen, he even felt a weird rumble in his stomach when he thought of her. He remembered this feeling, he had read about it in his book it was the essence of having butterflies in your stomach, and that�s how it felt. He wondered how those got there. 

As faith would have it one day while Azerial was in his angel form following around Samera he saw her. The beautiful girl with the stolen skateboard, she no longer had it though, they were in same clothes store together, and the young girl was trying on black leather boots. They seemed to have chains and buckles on them. They looked nice on her. 

Then he noticed Samera walk up to the girl and hug her, what is going on? He thought.

"Hey woman what�s going on?" the girl said as she let go of the hug.

"Nothing just shopping, just wanted to see what you were into."

"Buying some boots for this concert tonight, wanna go?" 

"Na, I�m not into that music you like, but I got to go Fabel, bye!"

"Later."

Azerial thought he was back on a cloud, floating among the stars, her name was, "Fabel."

Being an angel is very useful, when you have your daily work you can change to your angel form, to where you�re invisible and you have your wings so it doesn�t take long to travel and you have your powers. He could make people have a better day by helping them out with something, make flowers grow anything really. And then when his daily work was finished he could turn into human form, where he looked just like everyone else. He has talked to Samera many times like this, he finds her interesting and funny, he�s glad to be her guardian angel. 

Being that it was the end of the day he decided to find this 'concert' and find her and maybe have a lovely chat and become friends. He had heard through the word of mouth that were always concerts at this old brick building across from the movie theater in town. So he grew out his wings and flew over to the other side of town to hear very loud music and saw many people in a crowd out the doors. He flew down to the back of the building, drew his wings in and walked around to the front doors.

There she was. All beautiful and wonderful, wearing a red dress with black boots, she was with a later large group of people and he decided to watch her talk until she was by herself he didn�t want to interrupt them, it would be rude. As he stood there he felt more and more out of place, most of these people had piercings and tattoos, even though they were quite beautiful just like Fabel. Time came as she walked inside and he walked after her, she was finally alone. 

"Got your ticket man?" said a very large male at the door.

"Ticket?"

"Oh you're paying the front price then, seven dollars."

"Of course," he said confused and pulled a ten dollar bill out and handed it to the man.

"I'll get your change hang on," he said turning around to a bottle filled with dollars.

"No that�s ok you can keep it,"

The man looked strangely at him, smiled and replied, "Hey thanks go on in."

"Thank you," he said and walked in the door. 

Now I got to find her, he thought walking around the huge building.

There were stands selling pop and candy, many were selling shirts and CDs. Then he saw her behind a table sitting listening to a CD player with headphones. He decided to walk up to her and say hello. 

But wait what am I going to say?

"Hey you! Kid!" He turned quickly to his right and it was the girl, standing behind her stand staring right at him. 

"Me?"

"No that elephant behind you! Yah you! Come here!" she shouted over all the music.

He walked slowly over to her table noticing all the shirts, pins, and CDs lying about. "Yes?"

"You were the checker player in the park weren�t you?"

"Yes I am."

"I�m that wild chick who stole the skateboard, remember me?"

"Yes I do."

"Well that�s awesome, you going to listen to my band when I�m up?"

"You have a band?" Azerial asked amazed. 

"Of course, I sing, we're called Hit N Run, Killer huh?"

"Well that�s not a nice name," he said looking at a shirt with a gun on it with blood spurts.

"Ha. I like you. You tell it like it is, even if it�s not cool or not."

"Thank you, I like you too."

"There�s something about you, your essence."

Could she tell he was an angel? He never met anyone who could even take a guess of him probably, maybe being an angel. She had to be something other than a human, maybe she was an angel too?

"My... What about my essence?"

"Yesss...� she hissed as if she were a snake in disguise.� It is very odd."

"Well... I'v... I've got to go. It... Was nice seeing you," he uttered breathlessly between clenched teeth. 

"Wait, don�t leave!" cried Fabel as he ran off in a hurry. 

As a fit of cool breeze blew his scent and ran by her face and as she breathed in deeply and closed her eyes she whispered, "Angel."

** Ch 3 

Now, Azerial couldn�t think of any other way that experience could have got any worse, she sure didnt look like any angel I have ever seen. He thought as he sat high above the beautiful charlotic church on 5th street, his wings at his side. He sat and pondered and pondered and pondered some more trying to think of any logical explain, maybe she wasn�t even talking about his angel aura, maybe something else? Such as him feeling out of place, and being drawn to a new place he thought he would ever dwell. 

Days passed as more and more flowers bloomed along parks and school yards, and Azerial was to be found in the local rose garden talking to the flowers. 

"Promise me you won�t tell Mother Nature about this, she tends to get testy when we mess in her work." Azerial whispered to a white rose as it bloomed beautifully into a full rose. 

"Hey. Angel."

That was all it took for the angel to stop dead in his tracks as if he were shot and stood in surprise to why would anyone ever do such a thing to a young man just standing around in a garden. He slowly turned around his head facing his newly polished white shoes took a deep breath and raised his head. It was her.

"How..."

"Don�t worry how, all you need to know is you�re on my ground now." Fabel ordered a frightening fierceness in her voice.

"Well I�m quiet sorry if have been on your... ground."

"You need to go back to your nice little cloud and stay there." she said with deliberation, as her fingers picked a red rose and started picking off each petal.

"Who are you?" the angel prompted.

"Don�t you worry," she began as she started walking towards him, "You'll find out soon enough." 

As she walked by him they stared into each others eyes for a split second and she flashed fire flames in her eyes, this didnt unnerve him, he just knew all along this was no good. This infliction with the mystery dark girl, there was no way he could ever speak to her again, being that she now seemed very frightening, she was also a demon. 

**

Azerial has dealed with demons before this wasn�t something he was new to, even though she was a tad bit scary than all the rest. He couldn�t believe he was attracted to her, a demon! He couldn�t see how it happened, unless�

�She put a spell on you?� his friend Loki asked as they sat on stone benches by a gorgeous fountain covered by vines of roses. 

�That has to be the logical explanation, I mean she is a demon, our main purpose is to abolish them.�

�Yes that would be the reason for guardian angels, to protect.�

�I mean I have a wonderful girl to look over and I really love my job but��

�What is it Azerial?� Loki asked looking thoughtfully at his friend.

�But,� he paused for a second, looked down at the secondhand book that lied in his two hands and said, �I still want her.�

This has to have been the most confusing problem of Aerial�s long life, while he were in heaven he never had this problem and he was there for at least 3000 years. All he had to worry about was where he could he get a decent wing cleaning. From the moment he met her in the park he had never stopped dreaming about her, he hated feeling this way he wanted to see her but he knew he couldn�t and now she hated him. As he sat lonely in Samera�s apartment that night he couldn�t understand it he had only talked to her twice and there was no question about it he had to see her again, so he thought up a plan to find her. 

**

Lounging around in her bedroom with two of her closest demon friends, Raven and Naria, they were having a nice conversion about Azerial. He would have given anything to have heard about what they were saying, maybe it could have saved him but then again everything isn�t what it seems. 

�I can�t believe I was actually becoming friends with that�� her body shoke as if she were shaking off the coldness that lingered in her heart. �Angel.�

�That�s disgusting! But I would have lov-ed to have met him,� said her friend Raven, who was so a demon. 

�I bet you would have,� Fable said as she chuckled.

�I would have played with him� Just for a little while,� Raven said as she picked up Fable�s voodoo lying alone on her nightstand, �Touched him, loved him and then�� then she slowly ran her hand over the voodoo dolls head and ripped it from the seams. 
�I always thought you were into the innocent type.� Naria spoke. 

�You have no idea, and tonight? I�ll show you just what I mean.� 

** CH 4

As Samera lied in her bed asleep he knew she was safe so he flew out her open window into the warm night with his gorgeous white feathers blowing in the wind, he was going to find her by smelling her out. Demons had a different scent about them than humans and angels. Demons smelled like Halloween, burning leaves and old trees drifting in the air. For him it would have been very easy to find her amongst the crowd of the city. He was on the trail of a scent and it was leading him towards the same old concert building. 

Then he heard it, her voice it was drawing him near like a moth to a flame he didn�t need her scent any longer he listened to the words of her song. 

Come onto me white winged angel
It�s the way your whispers kiss my ear
Is why I need to dance with you tonight
What do you see behind the eyes of a fallen angel?

It was beautiful as if it came straight down crashing from heaven.

She was calling out to him, she wanted him just as bad as he wanted her, this feeling in his stomach he had never felt before, it was an odd new feeling it was like he insides were glowing as soon as he landed in the alley of the building he pulled his wings in but it was like he were still flying it was a wonderful feeling he wondered if everyone felt like this when they wanted to spend every moment with someone.

He walked closer to the entrance there were hundreds of people as usual, the guy at the door who always asked you for your ticket wasn�t missing so he walked on through the door her voice busting off the walls and running all over his body, drowning him in her words of need. 

Then he saw her, in a black lace dress that came down to her knees, shoestring thin straps that held up over her perfect shoulders. She looked beyond beautiful, like he were looking at her for the first time. He walked through the crowd staring, staring at her staring back at him. As she sang her hands loosely held her microphone, and her lips opened and closed softly and slowly as the worlds followed from her black heart, she was wearing those new boots they went perfectly with her dress. 

I had no idea what I was going to say or do but I was getting more and more nervous by the second. 

By the time the song was over I was shaking, I thought about leaving but I had to talk to her again I have to hell her what she does to me and how ashamed I am because of it, how I finally got my wish to know what love feels like.

**

When the music stopped, my heart stopped as well, she walked off stage through by hundreds of people trying to get her attention, all trying to get a hold of what I so desperately wanted. I stood frozen in the one spot I stood for a solid seven minutes. 

There she stood in front of me, a vision of heaven I had so long missed.

�What do you want,� she asked, as she combed her hand through my hair.

�You.�

�Come with me then.�

�Where are we going?�

�Just shut up and don�t worry,� she said as she put her index finger over my lips. 

**

Back in the main rear of the building was a huge room by itself with many couches, a coffee table and a TV, how lovely I thought as she grabbed both of my hands and out them around her waist. I was trying to think about anything but her. 

Uh� uh puppies, flowers, her eyes, uh no! Ice cream.

She started to kiss me but I turned my head and pressed my cheek against hers and told her, �I�m scared.�

�Now my precious angel,� she chuckled. �Why would you be scared?�

�Because� uh of you and what might happen.�

�What do you mean?� she asked unbuttoning my white shirt, eyes on my chest.

�Bad things happen when you�re in love.�

�Aw� you�re so sweet,� she said sarcastly pinching my nose. �Now you be a good boy and go over and sit down ok?�

�Yes, Fable.�

I had no idea what was going on, and I had no idea what I was doing I know I shouldn�t be here but Samera had always said, always follow your heart. She followed me as I walked over to large red leather sofa, I turned around to face her and she pushed me down on the seat, climbed on top of me tucked her legs beside mine and kissed me. 

Hard and rough.

She grabbed at my skin and scratched me deep with her long nails, but I didn�t care I had what I wanted. I placed my hands on her cheeks to slow her down and kissed her slowly, my tongue ran over hers so passionately. I wanted to tell her I finally knew what it was to love someone madly, but I couldn�t. 

�Fuck me Azerial,� she shouted as she parted from my lips and stared me in the eyes.

�I�ll make love to you.�

�Don�t get all sappy on me, I hate that shit,� she said as she pilled her dress over her head, reviling a red bra and no panties. No surprise there. I had never seen a naked girl before but I wish I had before now. She was so beautifully curved and shaped. I just looked at her body, feeling her stomach, her legs, her chest. 

�I�m yours.�

** CH 5

�Making love� was an odd experience, it was like we were one person the whole time, it seemed we held on to each other forever, she never let me go and I never stopped kissing her. I told her I loved her but she didn�t say it back, I guess she didn�t have to but I would liked to hear her say it. It was really, very nice I had always read in books the lovers would wake up together and maybe have a cup of coffee but I didn�t like coffee, Fabel also wasn�t here when I woke up. 

I wondered where she was, I was sort of lonely lying there naked in a strange building I thought, �I will just find her later.�

Meanwhile Fabel was off bragging to her friends down at a local bar where they bought her drinks.

�He even told me he loved me! I mean come on!� she said standing with her hands at her sides. Her friends Raven and Naria laughing along with her. 

�Oh man, I wish I could have been there! I bet it was classic.�

�Oh it was,� Fable said taking another drink of her vodka. 

�You just wait until the master hears about this, you will be on top of the mountain!� Naria said. 

�Yah I�m pretty proud of myself, I might just go find him right now. But this time it�s going to be worse.� Taking another drink and smashing the bottle onto the table. 

�I think you just became my own personal hero!� Raven said as Fabel walked out the bars open doors.



 

 

Copyright © 2007 Lisa M Setser
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"