Gem 38
Saaz

 

1.

I was working late, (10: 00 pm) in my bedroom, I rubbed my eyes and glance back toward the screen of my laptop, I was online just checking my e-mail I wanted to get back to my studies for the up coming bar exam. I shut of my computer and reach across my desk for my books, besides them were two

Paper, backs I brought. One was SAAZ ’s dusk and other was a new

Novel written by a reporter from Inter express New York Paige Turner, he wrote this book this year called TROUBLE IN MANHATTAN, and the New York Times called it, "one of the best mystery suspenseful American novel".

I brought it last month and after reading it I thought that he copies SAAZ

Work the famous Hollywood guy but I don’t think that Turner is as cute as

He is.

New York Times giving a remark like that even they are rivals of the Express, I caught a gimplse of Seattle daily news paper which headlines were of a Missing girl of twenty years.

This kind of news is big here, last was of a serial killer The Seattle slasher who killed people with big knives.

Things like that don’t happen here, in this city of hills. There are beautiful lakes here in Seattle, my house is near one, it’s a beautiful house and I thank God that my parents are in London. I am glad they have some American bank there and they send money every month to me.

I thought music and coffee would be great alone with my studies. I insert a BSB CD in my Aiwa disc man and was about to get up to make coffee, when my NOKIA cell phone rang.

Who could be calling at this time? I wondered. But I knew who even before I answer it, though I can see name and number on the screen of my cell phone.

" Yes, Hill here", I said.

" Hey, Ashley- what’s up, girl?".

I heard his voice. Dean Hunter, my long term boyfriend.

" I was trying your Sony cordless but it was busy. So what were you doing?".

" Eh, I was using Internet. So what’s up Hunter?".

"I know you were working late and I thought that maybe…………

Cut me the bullshit Dean and tell me why you called!" I snapped.

"I have some pizzas and coke, you would be hungry, would you like me to come over?" Dean said.

I laughed. "Sex, sex, sex is all you think about Mr. Hunter".

"Oh, come on Ashley. Give me a break".

"Okay, come over, Dean". He hang up.

I smiled, I was suddenly pleased that Dean was coming , I was getting sexually intense.

I went over to my bathroom, I remember that I lost my virginity to Dean,

Nine years ago in the back seat of his sedan. At first I was afraid that it might hurt but after I done it I kind of like it.

He is the only man I ever loved , we are more friends then lovers.

I stood before the full length mirror beside my tub and check my self. I am

5’9, long dark red hairs and bright green eyes. My face is oval and curved red lips. I have shaped and long legs much like Julia Roberts. My breasts are

round and firm with flat stomach and everything I think I am full figured.

No wondered Dean is crazy about me.

Not too bad. I thought, Ashley Hill you are a pretty little thing even for a twenty nine years old girl.

I opened my medical cabinet and looked for the pills but we usually use rubber.

I thank God that I was not having my periods, I hate them and to the thought of having a napkin wrapped around my legs.

I was thinking of changing my cloths but what the hell, it is not my first date or something.

I was wearing blue jeans short and white Nike tee shirt , I think they are okay.

I went in my kitchen and turn on my Orian TV , and saw that WWF RAW IS WAR was ending , I am not that interested in wrestling , but Dean watch it

all the time. I switched the TV off.

I heard the back door opening , Dean has a extra key. Then he entered in the kitchen along with two pizza’s boxes and lots of cans of coke. Dean was in his CK jeans and Gap tee shirt , he is tall with sender body , brown hairs with deep blue eyes. " Hi" , he said to me smiling.

" Hey", I said, " don’t put them on the counter, it is wet , place the food on the table".

" Nice greeting", Dean mumbled and put the food and drinks on the dinning table.

I then greeted him with a kiss. That seemed to cheered him a bit.

" Hey, lets eat and then fool around". He said.

We settle down to eat. I took a slice of chicken and cheese pizza and sip from Coca Cola can, "I was starved", I said with mouth full.

" Anytime", Dean said. " how is your studies going?" , he asked me.

" Fine", I replied.

Hunter then looked at me. " anything that I can explain to you?, he said.

I laughed. "what the hell does a senator son and real estate agent know anything about law".

"I happen to know", Dean said. " a lot more then any liar or lawyer , that’s same".

" Very funny", I remarked.

"But its true", Dean insists.

" Kiss my ass", I mocked.

Dean smiled at me, " I intend to, Ms Hill".

" How come you are not eating?" I said.

" I am pretty much full at the moment", He said.

" The other day", Hunter said. " I saw SAAZ other book THE RONDEWALL".

" Yeah", I said. " did you buy it?".

" I thought", Dean said. "you already have. Not to worry, I’ll buy it for you".

" Thanks", I said. It would be great for someone else to buy things when you got a though bar exam coming up.

" Though", Dean said. "I can’t understand that guy, he makes movies and write".

" What’s so strange about that?" I asked him , "lots of Hollywood people do it".

"I guess", Dean said. " though not anyone as successful as he is. Ashley, hurry the hell up with the eating and fatting yourself up and lets go to bed".

" Oh, yeah?" , I teased him. "just because I have a vagina , doesn’t mean you got to plagued in me every time. Hunter I bet you can’t live without sex for one night".

" Yes, I can", Dean protest. Then he smiled at me. "but not tonight". Then he added. " besides you could need a rest from all that studying".

I looked down on my plate. I had eaten two slices. I took a large gulp of coke and said to him. " Okay, horny dude, lets go".

He stood up. I took his hand and led Dean Hunter in my bedroom.

 Dean curled up his smooth naked body against mine and kissed me on my elbow. Hour later we were lying on my bed spend after the wild love making.

" You okay?", Hunter asked me.

" Yeah, never better", I replied.

He gently touched my left breast then sat up and lit a cigarette. Dean has been smoking ever since I know him.

" I thought you had quit smoking", I remind him.

" I did", Dean said. " this is menthol".

" Smoking is bad for everything" I acknowledged.

" Want one?" Dean asked.

" Sure", I said. He gave me one and hold the lighter for me. I dragged on the cigarette. Hunter was right it did taste different.

" You know", Dean joked. "you shouldn’t be smoking when you are pregnant".

He laughed at his own stupid joke.

" Screw you Dean!", I recoiled. "I am not pregnant. I will be if you keep ridding me like that". Men they are same. Besides I know what to do when one is pregnant.

" You sound as", Dean said. " you’ve not enjoyed it".

" Sure I did", I told him.

Dean was quiet for a few minutes, smoking then he asked me.

" Ashley, what you going to do when you’ll become a lawyer?".

I consider it then said,

" Don’t know – I was thinking of public prosecuting. Maybe I’ll become a DA someday".

" What?" Dean looked surprised. " I thought you are going to join some firm and make big bucks. At least that’s the American way".

" No its not", I said. " and if I wanted to do that then wouldn’t I be in Washington DC and I got plenty of dough from my folks".

" May be", Hunter said. " you’ll write books like John Grisham".

I laughed. " maybe I will".

" Yeah", Dean said. "you’ll never know. But one thing is for sure that I will not try to make you mad or you’ll sue my ass big time".

" Yeah, right", I said. I crashed my cigarette and dropped back at the pillow , it was eleven something and I have a pretty busy schedule tomorrow

I closed my eyes. Dean was saying something about law but I was far away drifting into the dark bright dreams.

 

 

 

2.

Dean was starting to wake up when I finished dressing. I’ve wore a long black skirt and Cat green tee shirt. Matching with my green eyes.

Dean sat up and rubbed his eyes. He was still naked then he saw me.

" Hi, Ashley", he said. " is it morning , what’s the time?".

" Yes it is", I told him. "its seven AM. Time to get up, Hunter".

Dean rubbed his temples. " Shit", he mumbled. "I think I’m coming down with a fucking headache".

" Mind your language, Dean", I smiled. "anyway , try not to make love like that next time. And take some aspirin after breakfast, which you’ll make for yourself cause I am out of here".

" Huh?", Dean yawned. "where the hell you are going this early. Your law school doesn’t start yet. I think".

" Yeah", I said, combing my hairs. "my classes are late but I have a photo session with Carmen, this morning then I’ll go to the SU".

" Hey", Dean looked shocked. "you are still seeing that Bitch".

It was my turn to be surprised. " She is my best friend", I told him.

" She is a lesbian!" Dean acknowledged.

" So what the fucking hell that supposed to mean" I asked anger rising.

" Now", Dean said. "who is minding whose language. Anyway she is a weirdo", he argued. "she’ll might hit on you or worse rape you!".

" Dean!" I was shocked. He was always uptight about Carmen being a homo but this was crazy. " that is the most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard. Aren’t boys and girls friends so what’s the big difference being a friend with a gay".

" Her friendship", Dean said not giving up. "will get in trouble one day".

" Likewise", I said.

" Ashley, I’m sorry", Dean said. "but I was only warning you. Just be careful".

" I know," I smiled. " I am a lucky girl to have you. When I’ll be back, we’ll have a nice dinner in KFC. Ok?".

" Sure".

I grabbed my black leather jacket and my Nikon from down stairs and drove my convertible Ford to Carmen’s studio.

Morning was fresh though it rains too much here but its okay cause it that way.

I thought about what Dean said while driving. I think he is just being paranoid. I know her even before I know him. Okay she is homosexual so what?. I remember how I met her and that was because of my passion photography. I was in college by then. I was running errands that day in Seattle grand mall. I was on the ninth floor looking for lenses and extra film of camera I had Nikon then. She was working then in a photo shop.

She was chewing a gum behind the counter. She looked at me when I enter. " Can I help you, ma’am?" she asked running her fingers through her short black hairs. I registered ‘ ma’am’. I wasn’t that old. Not then not now.

" Yeah" I told her. " I need two new lenses".

" What is your Camcorder’s serial number?" she asked me.

I laughed. " I am a little old fashion. Nikon was in my mind, digital though".

" That makes two of us" she said. " I like it still. I’m trying to be a professional photographer".

" That is great" I told her. " it is just my hobby".

" Hey" she said. "you can have some of my lenses that I have extra and why you’ll want to waste money on new".

I thought about her offer. "No thanks. I’ll buy them".

" OK" she said. "maybe you’ll like to see my snaps at my place".

" Maybe" I said.

" You sure?".

" Yes".

" OK, here is a deal" she said. " you answer this and if you can’t then you’ll come to my place and have my lenses. And if you did then you’ll buy. Okay?".

I thought about it. What the hell . "OK. You are on".

" Here it is" she said. " what would you do if a man dates you and then takes you to dinner and then for the night cap he’d say he had forget to bring condoms".

I thought for a second then reply. " I think I’ll say we’ll take pills this time".

" Wrong" she said. " the answer is : you’ll say to him, take your best hand and rub some lotion and tell him to go fuck yourself".

I bust into laughter. She seemed to be praised and grinned. I like her sense of humor. I held my hand. " Ashley Hill".

Her grip was firm. " Carmen Johnson".

I did went over to her place. Carmen at that time lived in a apartment, she did have lots of cameras and their equipment. I insist on paying but she refused at first and then agreed on half price. I agreed.

She told me that she was from New York City. She said she left it she was tried of being in Manhattan and wanted to be a photographer. She settled here.

We become friends and did almost everything together. Then one day she gave me a gift and I said why? It is not my birthday she just smiled. I opened it anyway and inside the box was a branded PENTAX but it was an old version, the one which does not operated by batteries but I liked it anyway.

Carmen said that she have to tell me something I asked what? She spoke so low that I can’t even hear her. I’m a les’ she said.

At first I thought she had said ‘less’ I asked her less then what?

She laughed and said lesbian, gay, faggot, whatever you call them.

My reply was so what? She seemed to be surprised then said you won’t hate me, I only want to be your friend Ashley, I want to fuck you, still friends?

Yes I said but no fuck.

No fucking she said I was just testing you.

I then got busy in my law studying and she was a success in her photography.

I don’t know much about her love life though she keeps a girlfriend at times.

Dean is wrong about her. She is a good friend.

Carmen studio combine with her condo was on east Lean street. I parked my car outside her garage.

She was making coffee when I entered.

" You are late, young lady" she said.

" Sorry" I said taking my jacket off. Her studio was filled with camera’s and other equipments.

Carmen was setting a lens. " Today I thought of shooting at the lake park".

" OK" I agreed. It has some great views and fresh air would do good.

Five minutes later we set off for our photo session.

The park was magnificent, one of the best Seattle parks, lots of green, trees and many beautiful lakes.

Some of morning joggers were running on the paths, the view was breathtaking.

We set our camera’s. Carmen scanned for a perfect picture snap, she soon found it.

She pointed at the lake. " See that birds over that lake-snap it".

I steady my Nikon and click away.

" You are not focusing enough. Steady your lens and hold your camera straight" Carmen said coolly.

" Thanks" I mumbled under my breath.

The morning went swiftly, we spent two hours taking pictures. We laughed and giggled like teenage girls over some stupid people in lake park.

Finally we set down on the bench for our coffee.

Carmen sip her coffee from a plastic cup, then looked at me.

" How long do we know each other?" she asked.

" Don’t know, maybe three or five years, who count?" I said, sipping my hot coffee.

" Six years" Carmen answered.

" That long" I laughed. I stared at her, she seemed anxious to tell me something, I can tell that by the look of her face. She started to say something then changed her mind.

" Carmen" I started. " what is wrong, tell me. Something is bothering you".

" Nothing" Carmen said. She paused then said to me. " Ashley, I just want you to know that I love you".

She then pecked me on the cheek. " You are going to be late for your classes" Carmen said.

We started to get up and clean and we our gear. Carmen suddenly gave me a hug.

" Alright, already" I laughed. Strange I thought she was acting strange today.

We separated to our own cars. Carmen drove back to her studio and I headed SU.

I thought maybe she’ll change after day or two but I didn’t know how wrong I was.

 

 

 

 

3.

Seattle University is so vast. I thought as I drove through Broadway Ave E into the campus. The Seattle University contains lots of sections, school of education, school of nursing, school of theology and ministry annex, science and engineering, student union building, Sullivan hall and many, many more.

School of law was 18 section of the university.

I parked my Ford in P9 parking area. Then I went inside the school of law.

I was placing my NOKIA inside my locker, cell phones are not allowed inside the campus, I tried to decide which book and pads to take, when I heard someone calling my name.

" Ashley". I looked up and saw Philip walking toward me. Shit I thought not now, that jerk always tried to get a date with me.

" Hi" he said.

" Hello" I replied dryly. I had no intension of having a conversation with this nerd.

" Professor Mel Space wants to see you" Philip reported.

I then remember that he’d asked me to bring note on some stupid theory.

" Thanks" I said coolly then walk away. He followed me with an idiotic grin,

" Can we have some coffee afterward?" he asked.

" No thanks" I told him. " No can do. I’m busy" I hurried off. Thank God. He stopped trailing me.

I thought about Professor Space. When I first enroll here, he explain about the law school in our first class, I nearly fall asleep. It was boring.

He started like this. " When the founders of our school of law set its direction more then two decades ago they envisioned a school with rigorous academic standard and impeccable ethics, a solid commitment to public service and a firm resole to serve as a school of opportunity for persons from diverse backgrounds and economic circumstances.

Working in those early years, faculty, staff, students and graduates helped build nurture a program of legal education based on these principles.

In 1994 the school was acquired be Seattle University, a century old catholic institution committed to remarkably similar values, in a merger that one community leader called " an ideal academic marriage".

Today, the law school is part of this thriving urban University, located atop first hill in the city that is its names cake.

Seattle University : a superb center for teaching and learning inspired by Jesuit values and tradition ; committed to education for the service offers 50 programs of study for people in the pacific and providing for students an ideal place to prepare for life time of service.

As region’s dominant independent law school marks its second year in Sullivan hall, a beautiful state of art facility on the Seattle University campus, it enters what many have described as the most exciting era in its history".

Finally he had stopped his blah, blah, blah.

I had almost laughed. Like he care or something. The way he had said.

I found Pro. Mel Space in his chamber. I gave him the notes. He thanked me.

" I’ll see you in the class, Miss Hill".

I settle down on my desk and place my Hewlett Packard palmtop on my desk and opened a legal pad. I glance around saw that asshole Philip walking toward me, he saw the empty seat next to he was smiling as he approached me. I quickly put my books and notes on that seat.

" Sorry no vacancy" I said coldly.

He hesitated then saw my expression on my face. He left disappointed.

I hate being such a bitch but I can’t stand that jerk.

Finally Professor Space came and started a lecture. I start writing it down in my legal pad.

Professor Mel Space was the professor of Commercial Law.

Afterward I was busy in University. Then it was time to go home and I was hell tried.

It wasn’t until six that I’ve reached my house on the hill near the lake.

 

 

 

4.

I stood under the shower and let the soap and warm water wash down my body and worries.

Afterward I dried my self and wrapped a towel around me. As I stepped out of my bathroom my phone was ringing. I grabbed my Sony cordless.

It was Dean. " Hi Ashley, how was your day?" he said.

" Tiresome" I replied.

" Then" Dean said. " Why don’t you rewind yourself and watch a movie with me tonight. Then you would be busy with your exam".

" Good thinking" I said. " What are they showing?".

" Ah, lets see" Hunter said. " NOTTHING HILL, MATRIX, MUMMY, STARWARS ESP:1 and THE SIX SENSE. So what will it be, lady?".

I quickly thought about the list. " How about The Mummy?".

" OK" Dean said. " I’ll pick you pick in half an hour".

" OK, bye".

" Bye, doll".

I went in my kitchen and started the coffee maker. Then I had an idea, sure Dean would be pissed but it would be fun.

I reached for my Sony cordless and dialed Carmen’s number. She answered after two rings.

" Johnson".

I laughed. " why so formal?".

" Hi, Ashley" Carmen said. " how are you?".

" I was going to the movies with Hunter and I thought you might come along".

" I’d love to" Carmen said. " I am going to New York, tonight, something came up".

I was surprised. " why didn’t you told me this morning?".

" I myself didn’t know till noon" Carmen said.

" It must be important" I said.

" It is".

" When will you be back?" I asked her over phone.

" In a day" Carmen answered.

" Is everything alright with your folks?" I said.

" Yes" Carmen said. " By the way Ashley, don’t you think it is nice to be alone on a date?".

I laughed. " I thought you two like each other so much that I thought maybe you’ll spent time with each other".

" I don’t like him" Carmen said. " And he don’t like me, it is simple as that. Fuck him anyway. He is a fucking son of a bitch. Anyway enjoy yourself".

" Thanks" I said. " Come back soon. See you".

" You know I was rolling a joint? It’s a new dope"

Drugs I thought, Carmen used it all the time. Thank God that I was not into it nor was Dean. Cigarettes are the only thing I ever smoked and Dean. I don’t even drink. I tried to stop her but it was all in vain.

" Ok, bye".

" Bye".

I hang up. My coffee was ready. I pour it in my mug and lean against the counter and relax, drinking hot coffee. I waited for Dean to show up.

 " Can’t you buy a new car" I complained as I got in Dean’s ’89 Sedan.

" I like this one" he grinned and started the Sedan. Dean as always was smoking.

" Still menthol?" I said.

" Yeah".

" Give me one. OK?" I said to him.

" What about the health thing with lungs?" Dean asked smiling.

" Put a cork in it" I told him.

He lit it for me and I dragged deeply on the cigarette. I need to relax.

I blow smoke out of my mouth and laughed.

" What’s funny Ashley?" Dean asked. " Me or the cigarette?"

" You are lucky" I said puffing.

" How?"

" After you call I called Carmen ask her along with us" I explain.

 

 

Copyright © 2001 Saaz
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"