Ordinary Days Work
Niall Power

 


  
  The crosshair was aimed perfectly, right bellow the left eye. He was positioned right above the private airport, in an abandoned tower about a half-mile away. This setup was almost as good as when J.F.K was killed. It’s a pity he had to kill someone with a new family, realizing how hard his parents would be hit if he were to be assassinated. A good job is rare nowadays and the money was good, so he had no choice. As soon as the Chinese ambassador stepped out of the airplane and well on his way to the Mercedes Limousine, rich retards, he would pull the trigger. Something didn’t feel quite right though. There were more bodyguards than expected and one of them was carrying a fully automatic machine gun. Probably all of them had heat-sensing chips in them. He hated technological advances. These bodyguards were well-trained machines only designed to do there job, and they can shoot with a pinpoint accuracy no human being could have. To bad he had the same sort of technology implanted in him. After chatting with the pilot, the ambassador made his way down the ramp. Snyder had his crosshair aimed in the perfect position all the time hoping the bodyguards wouldn’t turn around or look up. As soon as the door for the limousine was opened, the trigger was pulled. One of the bodyguards turned around instantly while the bullet entered the head right under the eye, killing brain tissue and finally exploding causing the brain to turn to mush. There was no waiting around. He retracted his gun faster than he could shoot and tried his best to find the cloaking button. He would leave it there to pick up on a later date. He pulled out his AK 98 while making his way down the spiral stairs. There was already bashing on the door, causing it to cave like a dinosaur back. Those
Bodyguards had enough strength to make a hole in a brick wall. He made his way to the heat sensitive barrier he had set up earlier today. These bodyguards could only see heat, if he could get behind something and start cooling down he could sneak up behind them and give them a piece of there own medicine.
“Good morning America, its six thirty on the 14th day of July 2087….” Crap,” was all that could come out of his mouth. He didn’t understand why he made himself wake up so early for work. At least he didn’t have to sit in a cubical and get bored like most other people do he had an interesting job. Ding made his way to the television hoping there would be something interesting on the news. When he turned it on, the top story of the hour was about the Chinese ambassador being assassinated. “Oh well…” he thought out loud, welcome to America. Even though prosperous, it was still full of crime and revenge. After some cartoons he figured he, better go to work. The shower felt different, after realizing that China might get pissed at America for killing the ambassador. He finally figured America was the world power and it would be damn near impossible to scar it. As he was walking to his new 2088 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6, his neighbor asked him if he had heard about the assassination. “It happened about 5 miles away,” he yelled, “At a secret air force base in the curtain. Wow, ding thought. That means the assassin is in the curtain. The curtain is designed to protect businesses from the outside world, covering an area of about 5 sq. miles of skyscrapers and factories. Only people who worked in there were allowed to enter, unless you were a cop like him. “Crap,” he said out loud. He knew the first thing that would happen as soon as he entered the office.
Snyder had thought about it all night, and wondered why the bodyguards didn’t even come into the building. After the door dropped down the Guards just looked in and left. They obviously had a bug in their programming. “Oh well,” some rich programmer helped make his life a lot easier, what a hick. The story was all over the news, but there was no video showing the event, that’s a good thing. That way they could never know which way, the bullet came from because the ambassador had been shot in such a way that he spun around when he was hit. The
Bodyguards aren’t human so the don’t have a mind to analyze things, they only process things. He had hoped and expected that those damn bodyguards would come looking for him, that way he could blast their wire brains out. He was now thinking how to get his gun out of there. If he went know he would be questioned, but if he left it there they’ll finally pull information from the
Guards and figure out the shot came from the tower, thus making them search it and find his gun. He just hoped that the gloves were good enough to not show any fingerprints.
The day started with the usual junk about how there’s so much crime in Detroit and it needs to be taken care of. Ding was assigned a campaign to catch a gang leader. The guys name was Snyder and he was suspected for the murder of the Chinese ambassador. He also had gun license charges against him. He was the leader of an extremist gang who hated everything foreign, even though half there possessions were actually foreign. There was something out of place with this guy. There was a torn hospital receipt that showed he had an electronic eye surgery. This meant that the doctors had placed a device enabling him to see with pinpoint accuracy and change focus between far and short sighted. “Man, this isn’t cool, this retard can virtually see through stuff,” he said out loud in front of his boss.” Ding do your job, you ain’t in the police squad no more, you’re an FBI agent, you get that.” “Yes sir” Ding yelled immediately. Marshall Jay wasn’t an average FBI agent. He was a big black man with muscles the size of watermelons, and could strangle anyone with his bare hands; whenever he said something, you did it, and you did it well. Ding had already been in a few “Responsibility talks” and hated them. He made his way to the car just hoping today might be his lucky day. His first destination was Snyder’s suspected hide out. A subdivision off Woodward Avenue called Timberlake. The traffic was different; there was no one on the road, a good reason for speed. He didn’t buy his car to drive the speed limit, but he didn’t buy his car for chasing people, which he had already done. He got to Timberlake pretty quick and devised a scheme to act as the gate opener, and as soon a the suspect came out, follow him to wherever he went an do what ever he does, not the most wanted job, but pretty interesting. After about an hour he came out, he was driving a BMW M3, the kind that competes with his car. He came up to the gate and Ding could see the electronic eye moving in perfect lines. He was trained to see that sort of thing, otherwise, it was impossible to detect. Ding greeted him as Mr. Harlow and opened the gate. As soon as he left, Ding jumped into his car and started the chase. He didn’t know exactly which airport the assassination had taken place but had a hunch that, that was were he was heading. All well trained assassins left their gun under cloak at the crime scene, that way they don’t have to escape carrying a 30 lb gun.
The car felt pretty good today. Normally the transmission would hesitate when he floored it. The car was brand new, he had used his up front payment for the job to purchase it. He figured he better have a fast flashy car, if he was going to be a gang leader. The first thing on his agenda toady however was to retrieve his gun. He knew there would be people at the airport, but it was a private and secret one, which meant only so many people knew about it. He had left his gun there in good sense he just hoped know one had taken enough initiative to search the tower. He was going a 100mph on a 55 mph road, but there was someone behind him doing the same so he kept to it. He was looking for the dirt road that no one took, which leads to the airport. Finally, he saw it in the distance and started slowing down to turn into it.
Ding saw him slowing down; he should pull him over for doing 45 mph over, but where’s the fun in that. Using his little bit of brain he had he came to the conclusion that Snyder was going to the private and secluded International affairs airport. He knew a faster way of getting in there and hoped that he could reach it before the now, very suspected Snyder did. He phoned into the office and asked for Marshall Jay, something he tried not to do, but today was his lucky day so maybe MJ; a nickname made buy a couple of his fellow workers, would be more corporative. “What do you want,” was the first thing Ding heard. “Sorry to bug you sir, but I need to know were the assassination took place.” “Now why would you want to know something like that,” said MJ. “Sir, Snyder Malevo has just turned into the road leading to IAA, I really suspect it is him.” The tone of MJ’s voice changed suddenly, “Good work Ding, that is the airport, follow him in and arrest him, I’m sending the arrest warrant to you right know through this phone, If he retaliates though, you have know other choice use your head, you’ll make the right decision.” “Thanks sir, out.”
When the dirt road stopped, Snyder really opened it up. He shifted down a gear and put the gas pedal all the way down. There’s 1.5 miles of open road, what else would you do. The car pushed the speedometer all the way to about the 150 mph mark when he started easing off a little. He didn’t want to get new brake pads 10 days after the car was purchased. He pulled into exactly the same place he had last night and left the door unlocked and slightly open. There wasn’t to many people there at all, he figured he’d just keep a low profile and get the gun and get out.
Ding had pulled up about 2 minutes before he spotted Snyder. He hated pushing his car to such extremes as 180 mph but it was all part of the job. He had come in through a different road, just so it wouldn’t seem obvious. Snyder has headed over to the abandoned watchtower, about half a mile from the previous nights events. Ding, followed. Snyder went through the smashed up doors, looked like the bodyguards got hold of them. Just before he went in for sure Ding noticed Snyder hesitate, turn around and look around. That was good, cause he was scared to go in. Assassins are never scared to do that sort of thing.
He turned around just cause he didn’t feel right doing this. There was something wrong; he had noticed the same black corvette that was behind him on Woodward Ave, parked in a random spot. He was sure the thing got there before him but he didn’t know how. He hated getting scared, no assassin should.
Ding followed him up the spiral stairs. Even though the tower was deserted, the lights still worked and a barrier had been set up on the second level. After inspection, he found it was a heat sensitive barrier. Bodyguard’s sight weren’t able to detect things behind this barrier. He had more belief than any that Malevo had done it. He continued ascending the stairs, “Bang.” A bullet passed right by dings head. He could feel the acid smoldering his hair. He dived for cover just as the second one ricocheted off a pole next to him. Snyder was using his eye; that had been put there with illegally claimed money, to aim so close and so accurate. He yelled on the top of his lungs, “Snyder Malevo, your under arrest on high suspicion on murdering the Ambassador of China. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say, can and will be used against you in court.” “If I can help it I won’t,” was what Ding heard as a reply. Another bullet passed right over the top of his head, and then another until the metal he was behind was starting to bend in. He knew if he stayed there, any longer his head would become mush. He dived out taking to shots in Malevo general direction and didn’t hear one of them hit something. After performing a tuck and standing up, he saw Malevo holding his shoulder in pain. His gun came up slowly, pointed in Dings direction. Dings decision was life altering. He had never killed someone in these circumstances, but he wasn’t ready to die. He pointed the gun closed his eyes and squeezed the trigger. The shot was good, right in the head entering through the temple. Malevo fell immediately, his body suddenly becoming limp. Ding made his way over to him. The sniper gun was visible know, it’s a good thing he didn’t turn around and shoot ding with that thing. It would of gone through the metal barrier like a jigsaw through wood.


 

 

Copyright © 2001 Niall Power
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"