Camelot’S Troubadours
Michael Potter

 

      On January twentieth in the year 1965 the best rock and roll band on the planet was going to play at President Jack’s inauguration for the 1964 election. The Troubadours of Camelot, the news paper headline read.
     The near assassination at the end of 1963 in Dallas had changed the president somewhat. If Jacqueline had not inexplicably tried to climb out of the car he probably would have been killed. Jackie caught the fatal bullet instead of him and did die. There had been an attempt by the military, industrial, congressional complex to traumatize a nation so it would accept the further violence of the Vietnam War and establish the U.S. as an empire builder. John promised to avenge his wife and he had the public in his favor. The assassination attempt had mostly been coordinated by Allen Dulles after he had been fired from the CIA so he was put to death for treason. J. Edgar the head of the FBI was fired and the mayor of Dallas was recalled. Lyndon had been implicated in the attempt and had been dumped as Vice President. Many others were considered guilty but for the sake of letting the country heal it was decided to let the rest of the vast conspiracy go.
     In revenge Jack exposed the crooked arm of government where the CIA and mafia met to make money by smuggling and selling drugs. Attorney General Robert had little trouble breaking apart that part of the CIA and mafia with the public sympathy behind him. Since government graft and organized crime were nearly stopped the country flourished.
     His near death experience had changed Jack somewhat. The president scaled back nuclear weapons, ended the war in Viet Nam and slowed down military spending. The Peace Corps were transforming the world, and the Russians were attempting something similar, even the Moslems held the US in admiration. Iran was considering forgiving the US for over throwing Mosidec and establishing the hated Shah. Under Jack’s direction America was leading the world on the way to health, happiness, prosperity and universal health care.
     The president happened to be enjoying a tryst at the same hotel the band was staying in. He dropped in to see the great band and found Bob was with them.
     “We hear you’re ok though we live far away,” said Ringo. “As far as possible.” Everyone gave him a look and he shut up.
     Bob passed around a joint. “The times they are a changing,” said Bob with conviction.
     “You should make this stuff legal in your country,” said Paul to the president while holding a toke as he handed the joint to Jack.
     “Always kissing up to establishment aren’t yer,” John mocked Paul.
     Paul made a pucker and a kiss noise back to John and smoke came out of Paul’s nose causing John to laugh.
     “Cannabis has been used for spiritual advancement for eons,” George intoned somberly.
     “I’ve used it by the pool sometimes,” said President Jack, “enhances nookie.”
     John nodded looking serious, Paul with a smile looked at Jack askance, George rolled his eyes and Ringo look bewildered while Bob scowled.

     On the inauguration stage the president said, “Instead of a 50 mile hike a 500 mile hitchhike will be subsidized for students by the government. Hitch hiking should be supported to save fuel and help people see the country. To create a great society we must move toward free health and dental care for the needy, give water and food to those that need it anywhere in the world and free college to any citizen that wants it. A stronger people will make a stronger country. As I have said before, those who make evolution impossible make revolution inevitable. We Americans will be going to join with the Russians in a joint venture to the moon to examine the artifacts there and then on to mars.”
     In a steam tunnel underneath the proceedings, Dick, Ronald and George senior were planting a bomb to destroy the inauguration party.
     Sean, the Scottish actor who had played James Bond had been invited to the party because the president admired his movie character. Sean had come for the free food and the birds but right now he needed to whiz. He looked around the rose garden and did not see any bathrooms, he did not want to go past the guards to get into the building but he saw an entrance to a steam tunnel nearby. He went into the tunnel and while he was there pissing he heard voices.

     “How’s this supposed to work Dick?” asked George.
     “You should know you were in Texas in 63,” said Dick to George.
     “Well, you were at the Murchison gathering then too,” said George to Dick.
     “Have you seen the pictures? Do you know where they are?” asked Dick. “Never mind. After the explosion we can blame it on who ever we want to go to war with. Vietnam, Russia, the Mid East, who ever. We can work that out later and get our weapons boy’s economy moving again.”
      “How about blaming China?” asked Ronald brightly.
     “Not yet, I am working out a sweet deal to offer them trade concessions if we don’t stop China when they take Tibet.” Dick rubbed his hands together. “Soon our boys will have their casinos in Cuba back,” then he frowned. “It’s getting so war profiteering isn’t as lucrative as it used to be, we need to turn things around. Those people think they’re entitled to too much freedom, who do they think is running this country? Maybe we should assassinate that lead of those musicians someday, that John fellow, is that his name?”
     Ronald’s eyes lit up. “You can do that?”
     “You can get away with anything if you have the right connections. We must stop this dangerous socialism Jack proposes, the major corporations will not put up with the taxes they will have to pay and they will send all their jobs abroad.” Dick took a phenytoin capsule.
     “You still taking that?” asked George.
     “Yes, it steadies my nerves,” answered Dick.
     “Do you have a prescription for it yet?” asked George.
     “How did you know...?” began Dick. “Oh never mind. With your CIA connections you have the dirt on everyone. Look, it’s healthy like taking a drink of good alcohol once in a while.”
     “Once in a while,” echoed George. “I don’t think you should take those with alcohol.”
     “Look, Dick can take care of himself,” said Dick. “I’m not like those drug addicts,” he waved his hand in the general direction of the inauguration, “with their marry wanna and their ‘acid’. Who ever heard of getting high for fun and spiritual reasons, that’s Un-American.”
     “Mommy and I smoke cannabis once in awhile and where not drug addicts,” Ronald sounded offended. “Why after dinner once in Hollywood...”
     Dick cut him off. “We don’t have time for your interminable stories, we have work to do here. Go over there and set that bomb Ron. We’ll be over here standing watch.”
     “Is that a big bomb,” asked George.
     “Big enough to do the job,” answered Dick.
     “It’s not going to blow up in our faces is it?” asked George.
     “Don’t worry, unlike you and your Nazi friends, I have a secret plan.”
     “This better work,” said George, or you’ll end up like your friend Allen.”
     Sean listened to them and did not use any heroics to attack them. Sean, knowing the difference between movies and reality, left the tunnel and contacted the first armed guard he saw.

     President Jack made some announcements, “We are here to honor the works of Mary Pinchot for spreading spiritual sunshine among world leaders.” LSD was becoming the treatment for alcoholism and drug of choice for many. He talked of getting artifacts from a crashed flying saucers. “Here are some business ideas that will revolutionize things like small plastic discs that can hold music and movies. Radio telephones no bigger than cigarette packs that you can take anywhere and they don’t need cords!”
     The audience gasped.
     Jack announced that he would marry Mary Pinchot, Robert announced that he would marry Marilyn.
     The great band played some music that had come out on records, Rock and Roll Music, Mr. Moonlight, Eight Days A Week, Everybody’s Trying to be My Baby, Every Little Thing, I Feel Fine, She’s a Woman, Words of Love and some new music no one had heard before, Ticket to Ride, Another Girl, I Need You, Yes It Is, The Night Before, You Like Me to Much, Tell Me What You See, No Reply, You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away, and a new Ringo tune called If You’ve Got Trouble.
     While the band was playing the secret service took Sean and the attempted assassins to the president.
     “I caught these fellows playing Guy Fawkes,” said Sean.
     Dick, looking gray and sweaty scowled down his long nose. “I am not a third rate bomber.”
     George said, “I had nothing to do with this.”
     “There you go again,” chided Ron.

 

 

Copyright © 2008 Michael Potter
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"