High School-Behind The Scenes
Meagan R Minor

 

High School…Behind the Scenes

Day 1
My name is Jessica Freeman and I am a junior at Lewis A. Morgly High School. Or I also know our school as "the morgue" because nobody likes a morgue and I do not like our high school or the people in it. Although I must say that most of the people in my grade have an interesting story to their lives beyond what we see in school. I'm going to write about it in my psychology paper. Hopefully the truth will come out about some of the fake people in the junior class.
For instance the “populars” Mandy, Alex and Brooke. When they are at school in front of teachers they are the sweetest people you would every meet in your life. Then, when you see them in the hallway they are pushing people out of their way and calling girls sluts and skanks. On the weekends they’re out getting drunk and letting guys take advantage of them. Why anyone would want people to the badly of them is beyond me.

Day 2
You know what I hate? I hate FAKE people! Once again the “popular” group had to weasel themselves out of another bind. They were harassing Missy Jenkins and telling her that she was fat and that she needed to stop eating so many Twinkies or she was going to become one. Then, just as they had gotten done laughing Mr. Collins walked over and asked what the problem was and Mandy (the leader as they call her) spoke up and said, “Well, you see Mr. Collins those girls over there were making jokes about Missy and we came over here to see if she was okay.” Then, Mr. Collins nodded his head and said, “That’s sweet of you girls to do that…thank you.” As he walked away I was not surprised at the little stunt they pulled. Mandy, Alex and Brooke walk around school like they are goddesses. They always have the newest trends and each have perfect hair; Mandy with her long blonde soft hair, Alex with hair short brown and flipped out perfectly in every spot and Brooke with her curly shiny, red hair coming just to her shoulders. Frankly, it makes me sick. Not that I pay attention to detail or anything.

Day 3
Well I woke up this morning knowing it was the end of the grading period and I had to do all that I could to get my grades up. Teachers sometimes don’t realize this, but we actually have lives outside of school! I know it’s a big shocker but, we have practices and family events and it would be nice to be able to spend a little time with our friends. So there are going to be some times when we can’t handle all the work that is given to us in one class and then on top of that in other classes! You know they don’t care if your life is over when you get home and you have a “C” on your report card because you didn’t get one assignment finished and the can’t cut us any slack at all! They just say, “Welcome to the real world” twenty-four seven that’s all I hear anymore! I’m sorry that I’m yelling, but I need a little time to vent about what’s going on in my life. That’s why you’re here so that I can yell and scream about things and not get in trouble for it.
Day 4
Well once again in Mr. Collins’s class the “populars” all got A’s and I was stuck with a lousy “C” because of my last science project. They didn’t even do one! You know why because on Friday and Saturday night while they were supposed to be doing their projects they were with the three players from the football team. They were all out getting drunk and well you know what else they were doing. So then, first thing Monday they come in with the excuse that they had a cheer competition all weekend and couldn’t start on it. So you know what Mr. Collins did? He helped them with it! I swear one of these days I’m just going to snap and go off on them! Then, when we got to lunch they sat at their regular table with their normal massive amounts of boys surrounding them. Just then one of the “nerds” tripped over his feet and spilled his pudding all down the front of Mandy. Of course all the jocks that was around her picked the “nerd” up and stuffed him in a trashcan and asked him how he liked food all over him.

Day 5
For some reason when I woke up this morning I was in a bad mood. I mean a really bad mood. I think yesterday just pushed me over the edge because I thought about it all last night and when I woke up this morning I couldn’t take it anymore. I got to school and sat down in my class and not soon after the “populars” came in and sat in their seats in the back. They kept making side comments and snickering while looking at Missy Jenkins. Finally first period ended and I went to my favorite class because they're not in it. I never wanted that period to end, but unfortunately it did. Then, came lunch and they were still picking on Missy. I felt so bad for her and mad at them at the same time. Well, needless to say my anger took over and all of the sudden I found myself getting up and walking over to the “populars”, this was ME confronting the “populars”. Although at that time I wasn’t thinking of what I was doing. I walked right up to Mandy and she gave me a dirty look and said, “What do you want?” All I said was “what do I want?” and I poured my milk all down the front of her. Right there in the cafeteria in front of everyone. Suddenly I started laughing and asked her how she liked being picked on. Not soon after I started laughing so did the whole cafeteria! They started cheering for me and not soon after that Mr. Collins stepped in and took me down to the principal’s office. I wasn’t even upset and I told the principal what happened and why I did it. He said that he appreciated my concern for others, but I took the wrong action. I couldn’t help how good I felt the rest of the day. That is, until I got home. My parents were absolutely furious with me. They yelled for at least 20 minutes (which is record time for me). I tried to explain to them why I did it and that I was taking up for another classmate. But, I swear all they heard was blah..blah..blah. They didn’t even care that I poured the milk on Mandy as a good deed to someone else! I hate my parents sometimes; they don’t understand me.

Day 6
Well this is officially day one of my detention. I’ve never had detention before. When I walked in everyone was stunned to see me in there. They were all trying to ask me why I had poured milk all over Mandy and then, they would get in trouble for talking. I just sat there for an hour and a half and stared at the rules that I was supposed to rewrite. When the hour and a half was up I saw that I hadn’t finished what I was supposed to do, but Mr. Collins was our teacher for the period and he had fallen asleep at the desk so he didn’t care. When I got home mom had supper waiting for us and put me on a guilt trip all through dinner for what I had done. It didn’t work because I did that for a reason and I was proud of myself for sticking up for Missy. Then, that night I went to bed and laid there thinking about everything. Most importantly, I thought about how I needed to stay on subject of my paper for Psyc. Class.

Day 7
It was my second day and final day of detention. Today all I did was prewrite on what my paper was going to be about. I also wrote down exactly what had happened on the day that I humiliated Mandy in front of all of her friends and the junior class. Then, when I got home I saw that my mom was still mad at me and wouldn’t let up on what I had done. I finally just told her to give it up! I realize that everyone’s parents get on their nerves sometimes but you know I am always home because I really don’t have any close friends that I hang out with. So basically I’m a nobody that doesn’t get invited to anything, but from what I here I’m not missing much. I’m just missing the parties, the high life. I am missing out. Everyone should experience these things once. Right after chemistry Chris Martin, the hottest most popular guy in school, came up to me in the hall and told me about a party he was having. I was so stunned that he had even talked to me. I didn’t know what to say. Then, I thought yes I do and I said, “Why are you talking to me?” “You have never talked to me before what makes this time different?” He told me that what I did took guts because he has never seen anyone even try to stand up to Mandy before. He also said that it was very commendable that I was standing up for someone else and not just thinking of myself. After explaining himself to me he told me that he really wanted me to go to the party because he wanted to talk to me about something. Being a girl and he being the most popular guy in school I stayed up all night thinking about what he was going to talk to me about.


Day 8
It's Friday, AKA Chris Martin's party, AKA getting to hear about that something that he wants to talk to me about. I can't wait I'm so excited. I've been trying to think about what I'm going to wear all day! Should I wear the orange tank top with the jean capris or should I wear…wait a minute! I'm starting to act just like the "populars". I never cared what I looked like before why now, because of Chris? That’s not right. I have always looked at myself as my own person and if he likes me it should be because of the way I am now. The girl that doesn’t get hung up on what people think of her. The “populars” sit there and act like they are better than everyone else all the time and this party tonight is my ticket to get the real dirty gossip on them. You know, Mandy and I used to be best friends then after eighth grade she just all of a sudden came back from Europe a different person. She had gone there for the summer and forgotten about me and came back with two followers and is now known as the “populars”. I wasn't going to follower her around like some sick puppy, so I became my own person and left her out of my life. When I got to the party that night I saw Chris first thing and I walked up and started a casual conversation. He told me that he was glad that I had come and didn't expect me to be there. Just then Mandy walked by with Brooke and Alex. They just stood there and acted like it was wrong for me and Chris to be talking. So I asked him to hang on a second and I walked right up to Mandy. I told her that if she has a problem with me to take it up with me and not her little "click". She just stood there stunned that I would even say anything to her in the first place. Let alone tell her off. Then, I walked away and everyone that was there thanked me for standing up to her because they never had the guts to. When I got back home I didn’t know how to feel. I found out Chris liked me and wanted to date. But, I also hurt someone’s feelings and reputation which wasn’t like me at all. I was starting to act like one of the “populars”.
Day 9
Today I gave my oral presentation for psychology. I had began the paper thinking I was going to find the truth behind the lies that the “populars” and given out and because of the things they did why were they so special? But, the truth is they are no better that you and me. They constantly hurt people’s feelings and push people around. When they finally got pushed they found out how it felt. Now that we’re back at school they have nothing to say to anyone. Because they know that if they mess with anyone again that someone else might stand up for themselves and make them look like the idiot. In conclusion to my paper I wrote that I hoped that I gave some sort of encouragement to the people that didn’t think they mattered because of what the “populars” might have done or said to them.

 

 

Copyright © 2005 Meagan R Minor
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"