Big Things Come In Small Packages
Alessandra Mace

 

The disco lights reflected in Naomi’s brown eyes. She scanned the dancefloor, breathing in then aroma of strong alcohol. "Come on in sis, well have a great night, just you and me." Smiles Naomi’s older sister; Kate. "You’re only 20, come on loosen up." Said Kate, pulling Naomi’s arm. Again, single Naomi scanned the full dancefloor. She saw Men flirting with women, but as the aroma of alcohol were too much for her.

Naomi was ‘young free and single; living in the heart of London, sharing a flat with her 25-year-old sister. Naomi didn’t know what to expect that Saturday night, but her enthusiastic sister dragged her in the party mood. Kate was a lot more confident and loud, the complete opposite to her sister. " Right what should I get ‘ya?" Smiled Kate at the lightly lit-up bar, flashing her money to the barman. "I… I… ummm a tomato juice." Muttered Naomi, folding her arms and tucking her soft, long brown hair behind her ears. "Right, OK two vodkas please, barman." Smiled Kate, rolling her eyes.

"What!?. Kate? Smirked Naomi.

"Loosen up!" shouted Kate as she pulled Naomi on the packed, atmospheric dancefloor, spilling drops of her vodka. The music boomed through their ears and throughout the nightclub, making everyone feel energetic and alive. Naomi, now feeling confident was puffed out, so she sat at the bar while Kate started getting chatted up with an Italian man.

As Naomi sat alone at the bar, she felt asif someone was watching her, Rubbing her soft naked arm, she looked across the lively bunch of dancing ‘party animals.’ Smiling at Kate, she saw her flirting with the Italian man. Naomi noticed someone. Someone she wanted to know more about. Someone she was attracted to. He had dark hair; Intense brown eyes and wore jeans with a white shirt, showing some of his tanned chest. With a silver chain and bracelet, he sat with a few friends drinking smurmoff ice. He looked at her, looked away then straight away looked back at her. His eyes upon hers. Naomi looked away, down at her red high-heeled shoes, matching her rich red strapped dress. Putting her head down. Her eyes temptingly looked at his. He was staring, staring right at her. She felt slightly excited. Crossing her long tanned legs, she started chatting to the barman, looking at the mysterious man.

"Excuse me, do you believe in love at first sight, or shall I walk by again? Said the man, butting in her conversation with the barman.

"Well, only if you try a better chat-up line or best yet, don’t." replied Naomi, teasingly.

"Hmmm…OK how about, did it hurt when you fell down from Heaven?"

"Nope, that’s not it." Smiled Naomi, fiddling with her long shiny hair.

"How about… can I buy you a drink?"

"Yeah that’s the one I was looking for. Smurmoff please." Teased Naomi. Giving Naomi her drink, the mysterious man looked into her eyes. "What you’re name?" he said in a low-toned voice.

"Naomi."

"Neil" he smiled, nodding. "You have a beautiful name, matches your face." He smiled. Naomi blushed.

They danced the night away, enjoying every moment. Neil walked Naomi home, while Kate stayed with the Italian man. When they got to the lightly lit up doorstep to Naomi’s apartment, Neil lent in and softly, slowly, gently, silently kissed her on the lips and rubbed her chin. "Goodnight." He smiled, whispering, sweetly into her ear and leaving her his number on a card. He walked off into the grey, winter moonlight, looking back at Naomi.

But that was seven years ago and it was their wedding day. Naomi gazed into Neil’s eyes, while he granted a heart-warming speech. After the memorable day was over, Neil and Naomi sat up in bed, talking. "Neil. I have something very important to tell you;" smiled Naomi, holding Neil’s warm, soft hand. "I know we have been trying for a baby, and I’m three months pregnant." Neil’s face and eyes completely lit up and he got a sudden burst of energy. "Fantastic!" screamed Neil as he tightly hugged Naomi. "This baby will be really well-loved, I promise." Smiled Neil, enthusiastically.

The six months flew by when Naomi was in labour. Standing at Namoi’s side, Neil couldn’t be happier, they had made a new life, a brand new life. After the squeezing of hands, echoing screams, the pain was over. Their lives changed when they first saw their baby, not because it was their baby, but its was severely disformed, on the hand a face. Looking at eachother, they both knew this baby would have a tough life growing up and looking different.

"Congratulations, you have a baby boy." Smiled the doctor as Neil cut his son’s umbilical cord. "I love you, yes I do, I’m your daddy. Yes I am." Smiled Neil as his son was cuddled up in his arms; chubby and sweet. They both decided the name before their baby was born; Matthew. It was asif fireworks were exploding for them. Neil fussed over Matthew as Naomi lay down short of breath and sweaty, not taking her eyes of Matthew. "Our son." She smiled. An hour later they let Matthew sleep after a check-over. "About Matthew…" said the Doctor.

"We Know said Neil. "Is he in any pain? Will he be in any pain?" he asked, anxiously.

"Oh no, defiantly not; Mr Watmore. But Matthew will suffer emotional pain and you and your wife must discuss this. Matthew is stuck with this. Surgery is on my list though." Explained the Doctor.

"Well my wife and I will have to talk this over. She needs to rest." Said Neil rubbing his head, fearing for his son’s life. "Its early days, Doctor."

"Yes Mr Watmore, or course. By all means, take your time." Replied the doctor.

Waking up the next Sunday morning, Matthew needed a few check-ups while Neil explained to Naomi about Matthew, of which she didn’t take very well. After the check-ups the doctor had a few things to say. Closing the door, the doctor sat down, while Neil and Naomi didn’t take their eyes off the Doctor, gripping eachothers hands. "Right. The check-ups went well. But he’s got what is called; Dwarfism syndrome. This causes Matthew’s bones to not grow propley; of which will be hard for him to grow up with and face Now, his face surgery is possible…But Theres more news."

A rush of blood ran to their faces, as they cuddled with Naomi’s head on Neil’s shoulder. "He will be much, much shorter than other boys. At 6 he will be an average size for a 3-year-old. He won’t have a trouble with his hand, it will just look different."

"I think Neil and I would prefer to choose no surgery for Matthew, we want him to be proud of himself as he grows up, but if he chooses this, he can have this." Said Naomi as beads of sparkling tears ran down her soft cheeks.

"Right, OK. Well, Mrs Watmore, you and Matthew can go home today, but we need regular appointments for Matthew." Said the Doctor as he shook Neil’s hand. They thanked him for his help.

Growing up, Matthew learnt new things as every child does. But he learnt the truth behind his Face, height and hand. ‘Kids can be so cruel.’ Are the five words parents say, including Naomi and Neil. Matthew was physically and mentally bullied during his teens. On one horrifying occasion, it was break at school and the other teens played a game where the ugliest person is forced to do something. Matthew was alone and dragged to the bunch of laughing teens as they pointed and laughed, calling him names. "Right, I force him to strip naked and stay there for one whole hour while we laugh and throw things at him." Said one of them. They stripped him and threw books, rubbish and anything they could at him. Every time, he yelped in pain. Emotional and physical pain. While the others went in, Matthew stood there crying in the rain, freezing cold, with cuts and bruises over his body. Another time, he was made to sit at the back of the school bus because he was ugly. But throughout these obstacles, it never got in the way of his burning passion for music. It burned inside of him, a flame never to be put out. Enjoying every piano lesson, with his pianoteacher; Mr Williams. He was a tall and in his middle 40’s and never lost faith in Matthew. 15-year-old Matthew dreamed of becoming a work-famous pianist. How? Is the question people around him and in his life where asking.

Neighbours whipped and gossiped about him. "I thought he had something wrong with his hand. How can he play the piano?" they were saying. They nicknamed him ‘the ugly dwarf boy’ but Matthew knew how he was going to make it, he knew how he was going to make the ‘big time’ and he knew he was going to get there fast. His Piano skills increased each week and his dream got closer to him. His piano teacher encouraged him so much that Matthew knew he knew he was going to become a someone. And not once did he think about surgery. Not once. But everytime Matthew played, his hand stared right back at him asif it was laughing at him. Everytime he looked in the mirror he swore it was going to crack. It began to haunt him. Mentally haunt him.

As Matthew walked to school, he saw a poster advertising a concert of young pianists and just had to be in it, remember the inspiring words from Mr Williams;‘You must overcome big obstacles, its part of growing up." Bursting through the doorway, Matthew explained to his parents that he must do this and the prize was to play at a number of concerts. Of course, his parents didn’t decline. When the magical night came for Matthew, he wanted to go on straight away, he was so anxious. He had to show off his talent, despite his haunting problem, he had to proof to the public that he can do it. He can. When he nervously, walked on stage with his hand in his pockets, the audience went absolutely quite. Some whispers about him echoed around the grand Victorian style hall. He played ‘Chopsticks.’ "I can do this. I can do this." Said Matthew in his head. Beads of sweat ran, uncontrollably down his kneck. After he played the audience cheered a clapped loudly and it echoed in Matthew’s ears and around the hall. "And that was Matthew Watmore." Said the presenter of the concert as Matthew nervously walked off. "I did it… I DID IT!" he screamed and laughed down the hallway backstage, to his parents who were crying tears of joy and proudness. But it wasn’t over yet; the winner was to be announced. Matthew stood in a line like in a prison were the criminal was to be picked out, but in his case the winner. Matthew, short of breath had butterflies in his stomach. "Am I gong to win? It’s not me is it? They won’t pick me." He was saying to himself. The presenter who had too much counsellor and hair mousse on stood at the front to call out the winner, runner-up first. "Well, it’s been a great evening. What talent and bravery in these young adults. Let’s give them another applause…" The audience clapped while Matthew was saying to himself "just get on with it."

"OK, the runner up is…"

 

Silence.

Fear

Anxiousness

Was running through Matthew’s vains. "Matthew Watmore." He was saying to himself after he gulped.

"Jack Bushel." Smiled the presenter, as he presented the other component a certificate. " Oh my God… time for the winner." He said to himself. "And the winner of ‘Young Pianists of 2003 is…"

 

…Silence

…Fear

…Anxiousness

"Matthew Watmore."

…Claps

…Cheers

…Matthew had made it. He had made the big time. "No have you got anything to say?" said the presenter, smiling a cheesy smile.

"I knew I could do it." Laughed Matthew, followed by laughs from the audience. And cry’s. Cries from his parents, Cries from Mr Williams.

Now Matthew, 25, pianist was experiencing love and life. He also became past of a talkgroup; making people with physical difficulties get through a very special gift, life, and glorious life. And they were God’s gift. Mr Williams wrote a biography of Matthew and was sold world-wide. It was called ‘Big Things Come In Small Packages and infact, was the name of one of his songs.

 

 

Copyright © 2003 Alessandra Mace
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"