The Quest Of The Prism
Coby Hanson

 

The Quest
Once upon a time in a village called Dulock, there were two small ten year old twin elves named Jasper and Jasmin. The twins were wondering why they were the youngest kids in their village and why no one in town ate meat anymore. But the answer was always, “We will tell you when you’re older”, “Not right now, I am busy”, or some other lame excuse. One day they decided they were tired of wondering why; so they went to ask the town Wiseman.
“When you were babies, a man called Sarim was going to be a father, but his wife and baby died during childbirth. His heart hardened because he was so angry. He swore that there wouldn’t be another child born ever again to elf or animal. Sarim went to the keeping place of The Prism of Rebirth and broke it into four pieces. He placed a piece at the north, east, south, and west poles. He created a guardian to protect each one. The four guardians were based on the four elements: Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.”
Jasmin and Jasper knew when they looked at each other that this quest was their calling. After they decided to go on the quest, Jasper trained in swordsmen ship and archery; Jasmin trained in magic. After fifteen years of training, they felt

Page 2
they were ready to go on and face the guardians and any evil that stood in their path.
They traveled east to Varock, which is near the eastern pole, to find out information about the first guardian. When they went to go rent a room for the night the inn keeper asked where they were from and why they were so far from home. They told him they were on a quest to find the guardian of the eastern pole. The inn keeper replied that he did not know any information about the guardian but he would see what he could do to help. The two thanked him and went to bed. The next day during breakfast, a stranger greeted the twins. The stranger begged the twins to follow him at a secret room so that he might tell them the information they sought.
“We must be in a secret chamber so that Tair, the guardian of air, will not hear the words that I may speak. Tair is a Pterodactylus* a monstrous bird with translucent feathers. He attacks by controlling the air: with strong winds, tornados, and by taking the air away from places so that his victim could not breathe. But, he is weak against fire because fire consumes air.” After the stranger told them all the information that he knew about Tair they thanked him and are now on their way to Tair’s lair.
When they got to the lair, Tair called out, “Come fourth if you are prepared to die.” Jasper and Tair start circling each other waiting for the other to make a move. Finally they sprung into action. Jasmin waited for Tair to somehow expose
Page 3
his chest so she could send a fireball at Tair to weaken him. Jasper fell to the ground and finally Jasmin had a chance, she rapidly shot two flaming balls of fire at the giant bird creature. Tair, out of the corner of his eye saw one, so he quickly dodged it, and then he saw the other one coming, but it was too late, he poofed out of existence. Where Tair was, now floated down a small triangle that suddenly stopped five feet in the air and just hovered there. Both of the siblings just sat there looking at it and wondering if they should touch it or if it was going to do something to them if they did. If they didn’t touch it, would it disappear? Or if they did not touch it, would the guardian repossess its body, would they have to face him all over again? A hundred thoughts flashed through their minds. Finally Jasper decided to just grab it. When the tip of his finger touched the smooth cold surface, a blinding ray of light shot off, centered form the triangle and went around the world in a flash of a second. When he had it in the palm of his hand, it began to warm up and became too hot to hold; so he wrapped it up in a cloth and put it in a sack. They were off to apprehend the next piece of the prism.
Finally they reached their destination if Falidor, to the west. When they entered the big gates, a stranger walked up to them and offered to be their guide. They asked for a good place to eat, he recommended The Blue Moon Inn. When they got to the inn, Jasmin told Jasper she saw a magic shop on the way there and that she needed to stock up on supplies. Jasper asked the guide if he knew

Page 4
anything about the Guardian of the West. When Jasmin returned to the inn, they ordered a big lunch from the pub inside of The Blue Moon Inn.
Later that day, while hiking up the mountain Jasper told Jasmin what the guide had said about the guardian. The guardian is a Paisa**, a giant man-eating bird that can not really fly. He controls the earth, with earth quakes, sink holes, and growing mounds of dirt. But, he prefers to fight with brute force.
When they reached the lair, they took a quick peak inside the cave to see if the coast was clear. They saw some dark figures in the distance of the cave; they snuck further inside to see what they were. When they got far enough in they noticed that the figures were just rocks. When they turned around to leave they saw a huge figure in the doorway. Quickly, they moved behind some boulders to hide them selves.
In a deep loud voice they heard, “There’s no use in hiding, you pathetic weaklings.”
They came out of hiding and walked towards the Piasa, Jasper whispered to Jasmin, “Rapidly shot spells at him and I will wait for a chance to shoot an arrow at his head.” Jasper yelled to the very large guardian, “There are two options you can choose. Option A) You can live and surrender the piece of the prism and walk away alive, or option B) We kill you and take the piece from you.”
Piasa asked, “What about option C) I kill you and keep the piece.”
Jasper replied, “There is no option C.”
Page 5
We’ll see about that, “replied the guardian. Jasmin started shooting fireballs rapidly at the Piasas wings and tail. Eventually Jasper shot an arrow in its neck. The beast was barely alive. With a quick swipe of his sword, the beast’s head was no longer linked to its body. Now with the second piece of The Prism of Rebirth they were headed towards the north.
When they got to Aquaria, the city to the north, they ask about the guardian but no one knew but one person recommended asking Captain Nemo for information. “So, you want to know about Aqufina*** do you?”
“Yes please,” they begged.
“Aqufina is the bird of water. She can call up whirlpools, tidal waves, and fierce rain.” After they were done talking with him, they said their goodbyes and left for the docks. There they rented two boats and a rower for each one to row them around in the lake of doom to find Aqufina. Jasmin used lightning bolts to create some movement in the water and to see if it would cause the creature to come to the surface to see what is going on. It worked and Jasper had his rower row towards the creature just close enough into range for shooting arrows so he could fire arrows at it. Jasmin had an idea. She created a big plate of ice in the air to act as a magnifying glass and it evaporated the creature, along with the whole lake. They found the piece of prism in the mud. Again they were off this time to the small town of Remington in the south.

Page 6
There was only one mountain in the desert land so they already knew where to go so they started to make their way up the mountain. They met the Phoenix****, a bird of fire, at the top of the highest peak of the mountain. Jasmin already started charging up a giant water ball. They did the same thing as always but this time Jasmin waited for the Phoenix to start to inhale and she shot her charged water ball into its mouth and put out its fire. Now that he was fireless all Jasper had to do was shoot it. Jasper quickly shot as many arrows at its neck before the Phoenix finally died. They got the fourth and last piece of the Prism.
After acquiring the four pieces of prism, they went to the Wiseman to ask him what they needed to do with the pieces now. He said, “There is one final piece that fills the whole in the middle of the prism, the heart of Sarim. His wedding ring is needed to seal the unconnected parts of the prism. Then the prism is complete. Sarim is at Happyville. While wearing his wedding ring Sarim is invincible, so you must get it off his body. He lives in the center of the four poles in the castle that the main road leads straight to.”
Sarim came out to meet them when they finally arrived, and asked why they were there. They told him that they came for his heart. He answered them, “Alright we can fight in the courtyard tomorrow afternoon an hour after lunch. This fight is one on one, Jasper, you and me.” The hour came, and the fight began. Jasper swung, slashed, did special moves and fought with all his might. After a while he noticed how much Sarim’s left arm was protected. So he got close
Page 7
enough to whisper to Jasmin to some how unlock the armor on his left arm. She used Telekinetic Grab to work all the little springs and gears to unlock his armor, it fell off and Jasper quickly cut off his arm. Sarim died, they took his hard heart and the ring.
They took the items to the Wiseman and he melted the ring into liquid, put the pieces tightly together with the heart in the middle, and poured the liquid gold into the seams to unify all five of the pieces. The Prism of Rebirth was united once more.
Happiness filled the air; babies were born, parents teaching their children to walk and talk. Children were running all over the place. Jasmin and Jasper both found true love, got married, and each had nine children.

 

 

Copyright © 2006 Coby Hanson
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"