Battle Within
Mathew Hamm

 




Chris walked through the front door of his home, his thoughts running back through the day looking for key points to talk to his wife about, like they always have done at dinner.
 
Placing the keys on the key hanger near the door he turned to see his daughter running up to him and jumping on him giving him a hug. His thoughts totally vanished, not knowing weather to welcome the hug or cry out in anger for not letting him get home and relax for a few minutes.

“Never have time to your self, always everyone else first” Kaphan whispered in Chris's ear as he watched over him like a hawk looking for weaknesses and opened doors for him to get on Chris about.

Kaphan, a high ranking demon in Lucifer's army, was not accustomed to loosing battles. He was assigned to Chris, after he had finished his last successful harvest. Kaphan was Beautiful. Even when having a pale face and eyes that matched the darkness that surrounded him, his features where perfect for a demon. But this was all you could see of Kaphan, the rest of him was but a gray blur in the darkness, where his feet where supposed to be, faded into nothing, giving the impression that he was hovering over dark floor.

“Give me fifteen minutes honey, let me relax and daddy will be able to play with you all you want” said Chris with a little frustration building up.

 “see that wasn't so hard was it Chris?” exclaimed Laszlo, Chris's Spirit. Unlike demons, spirits are born with them, but not in the natural way, but the spiritual way, Laszlo was born in this way and had been with Chris since he had accepted Jesus as his Lord and Saviour. Laszlos power came with wisdom and faith, the more Chris learned the stronger Laszlo became. His features resembled that of Chris's, but with out sin, in perfection. A glow came from all over his body, fading into the darkness of the spiritual world.

Kaphan Stood there looking at Laszlo shaking his his head in disagreement.

Chris put his daughter down and she ran off the the bedroom gigleling and nodding her head in agreement.

Chris walked back towards the kitchen where his wife Veronica was cooking dinner, he placed his suitcase on one of the table chairs and walked behind his wife giving her a hug and a kissing on her neck, she cocked her head to one side smiling and returning a kiss to the side of his forehead.

 “Whats for dinner?” he asked as he reached inside her shirt and graved her bare breasts.

Kaphan saw the opportunity and whispered in Veronicas ear “see thats all he wants from ya, sex”

 Veronica graved his hands and moved them back to her waste and said “its not going to be that”

 Chris turned her around,

 Kaphan smiled turning back to Chris and whispered in his ear “ how long has it been? What kind of woman you have here, you need more-” Laszlo interrupted “typical Demon, always concerned with a humans feelings, huh?” mocking Kaphan.

Chris hugged his wife tight, then graved her butt, keeping his thoughts to him self, he did not want to start and argument with Veronica, ruining whatever chance he had in having sex with her.

 Kaphan jumped back to Veronicas mind with a sense of evil laughter coming from him, “I told you so, that is all he is always looking for”

Veronica pushed his hands from her “not right now honey, I am cooking dinner”

“use the head ache excuse” said Kaphan,

she did “the kids are up, and to top it all off I have a head ache”.

“oh common, you know thats crock” said Kaphan to Chris, as his face begun to turn read with anger,

 “be calm Chris, she might be telling the truth after all” explained Laszlo.

Kaphan jumped on top of Laszlo with demonic force, “She's always coming up with excuses, I am sick and tired of this shit” yelled Kaphan as he lounged on Laszlo, scratching and scraping at him,beating him down. Laszlos strength begun to shrink.

Chris walked away in anger, his mind felt as if a battle was ragin inside of him, his anger was coming out and he could not control it.

“Maybe she has another man on the side” yelled Kaphan to Chris.

“stop being foolish Chris, how could you think that” said Laszlo with a calming voice and reassuring Chris.

 “She's always coming up with excuses not to have sex with you Chris, think about it” explained Kaphan,

 “yea but her excuses are very reasonable” argued Laszlo,

“reasonable? How can you say that, how many times in a day can a woman have a headache?” responded Kaphan “or better yet, the excuse that she needs to do this and she needs to do that, it is always something” continued Kaphan.

 Chris walked back to Veronica and said “you know that those headaches seem to be controlling our sexual life”

Veronica turned around, Kaphan was already by her side coming up with something to give Chris a come back “what about his work schedule, huh? Tell him about that” Kaphan said.

By this time Laszlo seem to be totally out of the argument. He tried to crawl his way in there but Kaphan kept him down with all he could, if only Chris would give him the power to do so, but no Chris was loosing his thoughts to Kaphan's evil plans and his antagonisms. Kaphan was becoming so strong, and so quick to respond when all the focus was on him, if only it were true about Lazlo, this would not had happened. Things would be a whole lot different.

Laszlo's radiance was getting dimmer as he watched Chris and his wife fight,

“mom? Dad? Whats going on?” asked a scared little Kate.
“oh great, now comes the back up” Kaphan said with an evil smile.

“go back to your room kate!” Chris said with a look that sent shivers down Kate's back,

“please stop, you guys are scaring me” Kate cried out,

Laszlo felt a little power flow through him, “look at your daughter, shes in tears because of all this Chris, and its all over nothing” said Laszlo with a weak voice.

“she's fine, just have her go to her room, threaten her, you'll see she will obey” yelled Kaphan on Chris's face,

at that moment Veronica came up to Kate and gave her a hug, and told her that it was going to be ok and to go ahead and go back to her room, Kate ran back in her room crying,

Laszlo felt another burst of energy flowing through him, “look at your family, they are in distress, you can stop this now, walk up to her and give her a hug and ask her to forgiv-”

“nonsense” interrupted Kaphan “it is always about her, this time it needs to be about you” he continued. Kaphan begun to grow again, this time he was getting more vicious and walking on a thin line.

The fight was growing, Veronica and Chris were screaming at the top of their lungs.

“She needs to respect you, don't let her talk to you in that tone of voice” said Kaphan,

“do not talk to me in that tone of voice” yelled Chris to Veronica

Kaphan saw the opportunity “ is he threatening you?”

“what? Why Chris, what are you going to do, hit me?” She asked

“ohhh, now shes mocking you, show her that you mean business” said Kaphan,

Chris rose his hand and slapped Veronica across her face, she dropped to the grown in tears,

Laszlo had a sudden burst of strength and stood “you fool what have you done” said Laszlo.

Chris dropped to his knees next to her “apologize to her” said Laszlo at the same time Laszlo looked over to Kaphan, his power was shrinking, Laszlo gave him a deadly stare.

Kaphan felt trapped then he glided over to where Veronicas demon was, “you going to let him get away with hitting you?”

Veronica elbowed Chris on the face and stood running towards the phone.

“shes gonna call the cops, your going down buddy, don't let her!” fear struck Chris as he graved for her heel, Veronica fell to the ground.

“He has totally lost it, yell for help” screamed Kaphan at Veronica.

“Kate call 911!” yelled Veronica to her daughter.

Kate came out of the bedroom tottaly in tears with the phone in her hand and dialing 911,

“911 whats your emergency” someone asked over the phone.

“Mom and dad are fighting real bad and I am scared” said Kate to the phone operator.

“is anyone hurt” asked the operator,

“I think my dad hit mom, please come and help, I don't want them fighting” cried out Kate,

“you need to stay with me honey, Help will be arriving soon, are you at 1596 Wood St?” asked the operator

“Yes” cried out Kate.

“ok, an officer is on his way, please stay with me until the officer arrives” said the phone operator,

“ok” replied Kate with tears in her eyes.

Laszlo was was full of power again, as Chris guilt begin to take over him “Let her go” he commanded,

Chris did so, Kaphan stood in shock, he no longer had control over Chris's thoughts. “what have you done Chris? Why would you do such things” asked Laszlo.

Chris crawled over to the wall and put his head on his knees, his tears begun to flow,

“you need to let Veronica know that you are sorry, you totally lost it”

Chris cried out to Veronica, she was on the other side of the room curled up to the wall, she was in fear and did not want to respond to Chris.

Kate stood in shock at the hallway entrance looking at her dad.

“look at your daughter, she is in such fear, you need to give her a hug” Chris called his daughter over, she begun to walk over to him.

“stay where you are Kate” said Veronica “your dad has lost it” Kate stopped and looked at her dad,

“see your whole family fears you now, exactly what Kaphan wanted, right?” said laszlo.

Chris looked at his daughter in tears and calmly called her over “its ok honey, daddy is sorry, he will not hurt you or your mother, its ok if you don't want to come over to daddy” when he said that she walked over to him and curled up on top of his legs, he hugged her tight, Veronica stood and looked at them, Chris raised his arm out to her, asking for her to come,

he looked at her with peaceful eyes and said “I am so sorry” Veronica walked over to Chris and sat next to him, they hugged and sat there silently.

A knock a the door seem to disrupt the peaceful time they sat on the floor

“the police” said Kate,

Veronica stood, wiped her tears and answered the door,

“mam, I am officer Lombardo, its everything ok?” asked the officer,

Veronica looked over to her husband and daughter and the looked back at the officer “yes, it is now, Officer”

Chris stood and walked over to the door to talk to the officer “I am sorry officer, we had an argument, but we are ok” Chris said to the officer.

The Officer looked over Chris's shoulder and asked “mam, you have some blood on your cheek, are you sure you ok?

Chris looked over to his wife and saw the blood and wiped it off, given her a look letting her know it was ok for her to tel the officer what happened. She looked back into his eyes, and shook her head negatively.

Chris looked back at the officer and said “look man, I totally lost it tonight and slapped my wife, I have never done that before and, I will never will do it again” as he looked back at his wife.

The officer looked at Veronica and said “mam, do you want to press charges?,

she looked at him shaking her head no, the officer looked at Chris then looked back at Veronica

“mam, do you mind stepping over here with me” the officer asked.

Veronica looked at Chris and he shock his head signaling that it was ok for her to go ahead, she walked over with the officer, Chris stood back and watched,

Kaphan began to regain his energy and said “shes gonna sell you out man, your gonna end up going to jail tonight”

Laszlo quickly stared Kaphan down and said, “this is the kind of nonsense that got you here in the first place, stop allowing those thoughts in your head”

Chris looked at his daughter next to him and smiled at her, kneeled down to her side and again apologized. She in return gave him a hug.

Veronica walked back towards Chris hugging him. The officer looked at Chris and Said “ Make sure, it does not happen again!” warning him, he turned and walked towards his car.

Chris stood there hugging his wife and daughter, Laszlo was behind hugging the whole family.



THE END.
      

 

 

Copyright © 2008 Mathew Hamm
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"