Another Crummy Day
Chris Flynn

 

There I was holding a giant sword facing off against a pack of meat eating wolves, a zebra, a clown, and a weird looking midget. The midget leaped at me as I barely was skirting the wolves. Bang the midget caught me and said “Rise and shine”. In puzzlement I stared at the midget as his face became distorted into my mom. With a shock I sprang upwards slamming my head into the ceiling. I let out a low whimper of pain as I went down my ladder. It was a morning and a Monday. And I remember that math homework being due today. Of course, that math homework lay tightly shut in my math book, which was in my locker and was there since Friday.


It wasn’t my fault I had forgotten my math book, I tried to get it. It all started in reading, which since it was my last class I had brought my backpack. Needless to say, it minus a math book. So around the end of class, I realized I had forgotten my math book and asked my teacher, Ms. Propp, if I could get it. Again another blunder as she said “Sweat Pea, I can’t let you get it during a test” So I sank back into my chair thinking I could get it in my locker after class. After the bell rang I rushed up the hallway for my locker. BOOM! I heard the running of footsteps of those kids who thought they would explode if the got out of here later than 10 seconds. I rushed the line and managed to break through only to make a vital mistake. I had shifted into the middle of the hallway. Here were the most dangerous of all the kids and as I tried I was able to go through some skaters and jocks, but failed getting through the popular bunch.

The vicious looking popular kids who I had no chance against were in a pack. I tried to swerve, but the ends were blocked by wanna-bes that felt like they could become popular by talking to them. I struggled for about ten seconds trying to make my way through. I did manage to break the front line, only to be shoved backwards. I took two steps back and charged! I fought my way through the outer shell and into the core of the group. But it was not ment to be as the last defenses of the group held strong and I was shoved by the stampede all the way out the door, which on a Friday usually brought happiness to my soul. But alas I was in trouble.

So there I sat trying to put on some pants that were too small. I hopped knowing it would do no good, and fell headfirst into the exact spot where I had hit my head on the ceiling. I heard my mom rant about my brother leaving his paintball gun out, but no matter. I slunk back on the floor and watched some television. One of my favorite shows was about to come on as I heard “CHRIS GET SOME BREAKFAST BEFORE YOU GO TO SCHOOL” My mom was extremely stressed this morning and I would rather stay in the sanctity of my room watching TV. Another shout and I knew I had to buy time to watch more cartoons. “I’m getting my socks on mom” I called down the stairs as my brother came bolting in. Not a word was spoken, but he came in and took my last pair of decent socks. So hungry, tired, head hurting, wearing uncomfy socks, I ventured to the frigid bus stop.

While i waited for the taker to torment I talked with my friend Chad. We talked about sports, TV, sports, things we did, sports, etc. Then the yellow terror came lumbering down the road as I rattled my brain for a way to do my homework. Not in homeroom, for math teacher was my homeroom teacher. First I had band, which bought no time, then English, which I could sneak nothing under the Watchful eye of Mrs. Owens. So i thought about doing it during lunch, and that was my plan. The bus ride was bumpy and i sat next to a kid who picked his nose non-stop. I really felt like saying, “By golly, it’s green gold!” But i managed to restrain myself. We swerved into the torture chamber some people call a school and I ambled off. I was in no real hurry to get to school. The little enjoyment I had in school was watching the little sixth graders scamper to class. Kind of like mice running from a cat. All worried about getting detentions and ruining their reputation. I wheeled into Mr. Pearson’s homeroom just in time. The bell rang, we said the pledge, I heard a tidbit about saving some fund-raiser and I was out the door at the first chance I got

I really didn’t want to go to band today, for it was the day before our concert. Mr. Sikes would give us an army speech and we would play. Out of all the instruments I picked last year, it was the trombone. I didn’t really resent it, just I HATED practicing after school, and I had no time. As we reviewed our concert songs and preparation I wondered one thing. Why would the hire some that left the army to teach seventh grade band? As i puzzled over this the teacher raised his hands and we played. I don’t know what he was upset about. We had about half of it down. So we missed the coda and all the repeats. There is still room for improvement over the next twenty-four hours. Finally the bell rang and I realized I didn’t want it to. English was my least favorite class regardless of the teacher. And we had a test, which just “slipped” my mind.

On I drudged through the hallways stopping at my locker to get my books. The only cool part about this class was the book we were reading. Call of the Wild by: Jack London. He was a remarkable author who brought sled-dog life to . . . well, life. Plus it was the only book I read in school with killing. As i struggled on making sentences for my vocabulary words, I thought of a topic, The warmonger. The warmonger was a little dude I made up who all his life tried to nuke Colorado into a puddle. Time was running out as I finished the last question. I thought I did pretty well on the test. The rest of the class we read Chapter 3. In which Buck killed the lead dog Spitz. The bell rang and math class came with horror.

Before math class started, we would get into to class, pull out our stuff, and go to lunch. I ate in a portable on A days which was positively lovely. The good table was always full so i sat at the other table. I swung open my math book and began. Nothing could stop me now. I was solving 2x = 7 like 1+1. I was half way through when my pencil broke. Then i realized I really should have bought a mechanical pencil. Oh well I thought to myself as I left the portable to get lunch. Today they were serving corn dogs. The corn dogs were so good the slide down your throat like fluffy clouds from heaven. I brought my plump, juicy, corn dog only to have the cashier say “You only have 5 cents on your account. I’ll be taking your lunch” then it came to me the fifty-dollar check mom gave me for lunch that had happen not to be in my pocket. Now extra hungry and about to fail a triple math homework assignment I went back to my table. Lunch was over shortly. I begged for part of a cookie and a roll. Although the roll was stale and mushy, I hate it quickly and heard Mr. Pearson say.” Lunch is over, back to class
Before I was dragged back to math class I was allowed a bathroom break. The boy’s bathroom was the most evil place you will ever go. Stalls unsafe because people liked to kick the door open, poop spread over the floor, a shirt thrown in a toilet, and a pocket diction thrown in a toilet and peed on.

I trudged back to class hoping Mr. Pearson would say, “I understand you have a though day so you get an A+.” I was saved the sympathy of getting a big fat F- on my homework. I sank in my chair hoping that maybe it was a dream. No such luck was that and math class continued.

The rest of class wasn’t that bad. Just test preparation for most of the class. We reviewed simplifying and solving inequalities. I was spared the joy of teaching my partner inequalities for he did not comprehend what seemed simple to me. So as I struggled for words on how to do and trying to see if I could do tonight’s homework in class it dawned on me. I WAS WASTING MY BLOODY TIME! I simply told the kid to ask Mr. Pearson and leave me alone! Luckily, he took it nicely and went to bother my teacher. I plunged into the homework trying to do as much as possible before ring the bell rang. I scurried out of my math class, went to my locker, and went to Life Science. I noticed a note on the door saying go to room 206.I had no idea where 206 was and decided to follow some other kids in my class. Finally I got there, and lo and behold, it was a computer lab. When we sat down Mrs. Lacey Said “We are going to be doing a PowerPoint presentation with our Mitosis Flash-Cards. Everyone partner up. I remembered I was not here last time so I had to do the notecards while the others fooled around on the computers. 20 minutes later I was showing Mrs. Lacey my notecards. Soon i was released and I began on the presentation. I knew a lot more on computers than most, so I did this project with ease. After I finished the typing I was told we had to draw the cells with the lines on the computer. My partner and I barely managed to do all but one before the bell rang. I was supposed to come in early Friday for my partner could not. So I added another thing to my morning agenda. At last the taker to torment became the releaser of freedom. The worst was over, or so I thought.

I had ice hockey practice right after school in Kennesaw. So basically I drove forty-five minutes to get yelled at by my Russian Coach Yan. And after that it improves, I am running for thirty minutes after practice. I knew the dreaded run for we had done it before. I readied myself and started off. After the first day I knew all too well that never go into a sprint. I was at a good pace feeling the brisk wind in my face. Ten minutes later my legs started to get mad for doing a lot of worked and I slowed at a corner. After twenty minutes my legs were fuming. All ranting about unfairness and quit hockey for the sake of us. But I drove on for the last ten minutes pulsing hard. The last minute my legs were about to go on strike and I heard my coach cry out “One minute left boys, you can do it!” My spirits lifted as I endured a minute longer than any before. Stretching on for ages before my coach called us in. He said good practice and I went home. When I got home I met a fuming mother who had visited parent connect.

She knew about the fifty-percent on my math and made me do it all. A homework free night became a dreadful all niter. My brain was tired so I finished the problems a lot slower. Getting back home at ten at night doesn’t help either. I barley could keep awake. My eyes feeling like lead weights I fought with all my might to stay awake. I just told myself, I just had to do one more problem and you can rest. The last problem was like the last minute of running. A giant word problem. I tried to fit the pieces together when I finally said aloud “Forget this, I need my sleep” So I dragged my on busted up legs into bed. Where I returned fighting the midget until five A.M. where my alarm was messed up. But I will tell you that later.

END

 

 

Copyright © 2003 Chris Flynn
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"