Oil On My Mind
Charles Evans

 

I had passed the law offices before I knew it. I got off the bus and walked the block back to them. The building was an architectural masterpiece to say the least. It must have cost a half million to complete. That was just the outside. I entered and was stopped by security.
He said, “ May I help you?”
I said, “ I’m here for a one o’clock appointment with Mr. Jim Glenn.”
He checked his computer and asked to scan my briefcase. I let him scan the briefcase.
He said, “ Mr. Glenn will see you now. Press forty seven at the elevator.”
The forty seventh floor was Perry Mason's dream office. This office was luxurious and some.
I walked over to the receptionist and said, “ I’m Charles Snave to see Mr. Glenn”.
She said, “ Mr. Glenn has been expecting you. Please have a seat.”
Ten minutes later a distinguished looking man came toward me.
He said, “ Mr. Snave, I am Jim Glenn.”
I stood up and offered my hand, as we shook I said, “ I am Charles Snave. I hope you can help me.”
He said, “ Well we should go to the conference room and see if I can be of any assistance.”
“ I hope you can assist me in this matter, Mr. Glenn.”
“Did you bring the document that I had requested?”
“Yes I did.”
I had brought these papers to so many lawyers that I had their routine down pact. They would look over them and then explain that the evidence would be difficult to substantiate. They would refer me to a lawyer who might have better resources and more time to help me. I had been talking to lawyers for thirty years about the same thing to no relief. I opened the briefcase and handed him the prize, a lease, just not any old lease but the lease.
He said,” Is this the original Oil and Gas lease, Mr. Snave.”
“Yes it is, dated nineteen eighty one.”
He looked at the contents and reached out his hand to me. I shook his hand. He had this far away look in his eyes.
I said, “Mr. Glenn, are you alright?” He returned to normal.
He said, ”Mr. Snave, this is what we need. To be honest with you this all we really need to sue the Company.”
“ What are you saying?”
Redemption would finally be ours. They had come to my grandmother with an Oil and Gas Lease to sign. I was the only one that advised her so she would stay in the game. Seventy-five people had claimed to be the heirs to the tracts that the oil and gas was on.




The truth was that only her and her sister and brother were the only real heirs to the land. They had gone as far to get a warranty deed to conceal this fact from the Company thirty years prior to the discovery of oil and gas on the land. This land was in the center of the East Texas Oil fields and has been producing for thirty years, which is exceptional. The production is approaching two billion cubic feet of raw and high cost gas.
He said,” With the database and production data from the Texas Comptroller’s Office we have an unbeatable case to present. Our investigation teams data makes it even stronger in you and your families favor, this case want take long”.
I was in euphoria. There were only four of us left after all those years of being denied by the Company. Granny is over a hundred years old. My sister and brother never did give up but we survived just long enough for this day to come. I had made the right decision to contact this law firm; they had won a multibillion-dollar case against the Company last year.
I said,” Jim let me shake your hand and thank you for what is about to happen. It’s been a long time coming. Are you sure about this?”
He said, ”I don’t make promises that I can not keep. Our firm plays for keeps. We are at your disposal, Charles.”
I needed a sign to let my people know that something big was about to happen for us.
I thought, ’If you don’t ask; you can’t receive’. I had to ask for something.
I said, “I can’t believe this is happening. Mr. Glenn, I need something from you right now.”
He looked me straight in the eyes and said, ”Name it.”
I composed myself and said, “ Four million dollars, tomorrow.”
He didn’t blink.
“I’ll have it ready for you tomorrow at ten o’clock. But as a courtesy, the limo and our penthouse suite will be at your disposal. This is the passkey to the suite. This key is to the second drawer at the main desk, there is two hundred thousand dollars inside it, congratulations and celebrate.”
I thought. I’ll be able to get Granny out of that rest home and have her taken care of right. My brother, sister, and I could get out of the rat race. Live and enjoy life as it was meant for us so long ago.
I was speechless. The words wouldn’t come. The tears just rolled down my face. Through teary eyes I said, ”Jim, we will celebrate. Thanks.”
He said, “The check will be waiting for you at ten o’clock. We will take it from here. I’m glad you chose our law firm. I’ll stay in touch. Now go celebrate.”
I headed straight to the elevator and used the suite passkey. I got the money; twenty, ten thousand dollar yellow bands, and headed to L1 for the limo.
       
The driver closed my door to the black gold trimmed stretch limo, he said, “ Where to, Sir?” I gave him directions to my sister’s home. I could feel the cognac warming my stomach. I picked the phone up.
“Hello, Nina.” My nephew had answered the phone. I said, “ Put your mother on the phone.”
“Hello. This is Nina. Charles?”


“Its me, sis. I’m on the way home Get my nephews suited down we need to take care of some business. Get yourself dressed sharp. I’ll be there in fifteen minutes. Make that thirty minutes.”
She said, “Where are you?”
“I’m in a limo on the way to your house.”
“Right. I have a billion dollars. I’m Oprah and I want you to be on my show. Stop playing.”
“I’m not playing. I’ve got two hundred grand in my briefcase. We need to go to the bank before it closes.”
“ Listen. I need to make a call. Talk to me when you get home. Bye.”
She hung up. I couldn’t blame her. She had taken me into her home and kept me off the streets for the last eight months. She was serious. I was forced off my job of nineteen years and homeless. I didn’t save enough. She was like an angel to me.
“Hello, Lisa”
“Hello.” She had no thrill in her voice. We had begun to loose touch. I had fallen so fast and hard that she was about to give up on me. I could feel the tension.
“What’s up? Brown sugar?”
“I was watching TV. What do you want?”
“I’m coming over there in about two hours. Put your new dress on. I got some good news.”
“I have to cut some hair in thirty minutes. Put my new dress on? Where we walking to?
I’m not getting on the bus. So, what’s up?”
“I’ll be in a limo. I got two hundred G’s in my pocket. Can you get ready for that?”
She blew wind through the receiver, “I’m tired of you and the lies. You need to be out trying to find a job. You are running out of time with me. I don’t know why I stay around anymore. Call me back later. I got to make some money. Bye.”
She hung up. The two women that had helped me through the struggle really had no confidence in me as a man. I had to do something about that and fast. They needed to see that I was not just a dreamer.
The driver said, “ We are at Wheatland and Indian Ridge, Sir.”
I said, “I want you to just cruise up to the second home on the left. Park and blow your horn twice. Get out of the car and stand by my door. All right. When some one comes out of the house, open my door.”
“Yes, sir.”
The car parked in front of the house. He blew the horn twice. My nephews came out of the house and just stood at the door. She must not have told them to dress because they still were casually dressed. Then I saw her come out the door. She wasn’t ready either I had finally brought some help but she didn’t believe it. She said something to my nephews. I whispered to the driver to open my door. I got out of the limo.
“What’s up?” I said walking up to the house. They were too stunned to move.
“We got to go to the bank before it closes. It is a new day. Let’s roll.”
Nina said, “You got to be joking. We are not going anywhere until you tell me what’s
going on.”



I said, “ I’ll tell you on the way to bank. We will all need our social security cards and driver’s licenses.
“ I want to know now!”
I hollered for my nephews to get out of the limo, “We got to go inside.”
She relented and said,” Okay”.
I let them get into the house first. I went to the living room table and opened the briefcase. I put the money on the table.
“What’s this? Play money. We are not going to jail, Charles”
The men did not say a single word. I had told the younger son that I was going to change our world when I first moved in with them. The older son was just silent and touching the money.
She said,” Don’t you all touch one red cent.”
 He said. “Momma. Its real.”
Casey said,” Uncle Charles. Damn. You did it. Momma he said he was going to surprise you and pay you back for all that you have done for him and us. Momma, he did it.” He reached out his hand and congratulated me He hugged me. Keiland did the same.
Nina just stood there in silence for a moment.
Then she said, “What did you do?”
I said,” You should have caught on. Remember the e-mail to the lawyers that you saw on the computer about the oil and gas?”
“Yes”. Her eyes were wide open now. She remembered because the computer had gotten a virus that same day.
“This money is the tip of the iceberg. The big shot came through for us. This is chump change. I’m going to get out of this suit. Then we need to go to the bank.”
We piled into the limo. I gave the driver instructions to get to the bank. I proposed a toast, we held our champagne up, I said, “ We can only look forward now but we can never forget our love ones who are not here for this moment. To prosperity and long lives.” I thought about how the Company conspired to hold our entire family back all those years. We were blessed. Their greed and predatory system had failed in their attempt to deny us what was ours by birthright. The limo was pulling up to the bank.
We got out and headed for the lobby.
“ I want to open five accounts”, I said to the teller after waiting a brief time.
She said, “ How much do you want in each account, Mr. Snave?”
I gave her our credentials. I put fifty thousand dollars on the counter.
“ Put nine thousand in each account and two cards for my account. Can you do that?”
“ No problem, sir. I’ll have it completed in about ten minutes. Please have a seat in the lobby and I’ll bring the package to you. Thanks.”
I explained to Nina and my nephews that by doing it this way there would be no suspicions raised to the Fed’s. They would be surprised in the morning when they saw their balances. The teller gave me the package. I inspected it. It was a done deal.
We got back into the limo and I told the driver to take us back to my sister house. I gave each another twenty five thousand dollars for their pockets. It was like we were in another world. The traffic was rush hour thick and slow.
 


I said, “ I have two more moves to make and I’ll be back later.”
Nina said, “ Be careful, Charles.”
“ I’m going to definitely do that, sis. We need to keep this on the quiet. This is our business and no one needs to know anything about it. Can we do that?” They all agreed that was the only way to mange this situation. I picked up the phone in the limo.
“Hello, Lisa. I’m coming to get you. Be ready.”
“I’ll be here. Come on.”
 I would give her the surprise of her life this time. I had put everything in place for tomorrow, it was time to chill. We glided through the traffic and finally made it home. I was feeling good about life and my future.
I said, “ I’ll send the limo to pick you all up later. I got to get something to eat. It’s been a long and prosperous day.”
They said, “ Know that’s right. We’ll see you later. Be careful.”
“ I will.”
 I gave the driver the set of instructions to get to Lisa apartment. We were back on the road again. The car must have been pimped out because every one in traffic kept checking it out. I had to get me one of these soon. I had to have something strong. The yac was warming my stomach as the limo glided down Overton Rd. I saw the corner store where I had brought a pound of pressed ham the previous day. I told the driver to stop there I needed to get some lotto tickets for tonight. The store was almost empty when we drove up to it. I went in to get the tickets. I told the man at the lotto counter to give me some lucky quick picks.
I said, “ I want fifty mega millions, fifty lotto’s, fifty cash fives, and fifty pick three’s for tonight. How much will that cost?”
He said, “ That will be three hundred dollars. Can I get you anything else?”
“ That will be all. Here is three hundred dollars.”
“ Thank you, sir”
He gave me the tickets. I went outside and the parking lot was full. I hesitated for a moment before heading for the limo.
 I shouted, “ Coming through.”
I got in the limo and told the driver to take a left.
I said, “ Now take a right and another left. Take it easy on the speed bumps.”
He said, “ All right, sir.”
I hoped all the haters would be out, doing their thang. They would never talk down to her or me again, her anyway, because I did not take nothing off them.
I said, “ One more left and a right after the creek. Creep to the end of the parking lot and make a left.” “Yes, sir.” The people were coming out of their apartments to see the limo. I called Lisa, “ Baby, I’m right outside.”
She said, “ You messing with me, Charles.” “ Look out the window.” “ I know that’s not you in that limo. You pulling my leg.”
The back stabbers were in full force. They got quiet. We stopped right in front of her apartment, I told the driver, “ Its show time”. He came around and opened my door. I got out of the limo.
I shouted to the stabbers, “ What’s up?”


Lisa was coming down the stairs. She had a strange look on her face, like she had perceived a ghost. She didn’t new dress on either. Maybe I was the ghost coming back to reality, back to her life.
We hugged. She said, “ I thought you were playing. Damn, that’s a bad limo. Wait a minute. What have you gone and done? I’m not going to jail because of you, Charles.”
The high side was dead. We would make it and make it good.
She said, “ I know. The land, the oil, the gas, and the lawyers. You did it, Charles. Oooo, we. I’m so happy for you and your family.”
I said, “ I got down and dirty. I came up clean. We don’t have to look back ever again.”
“For real!” she said.
“Let’s roll, brown sugar.”
She said, “ I have to lock my door. I’ll be right back.”
I said, “ You better be back.”
We had a real laugh for the first time in a long time.
While she was locking the door one of the loud mouths said, “ He want have it for long.”
 I waited for her to come down and before she got in the limo.
I said, “ Bet.”
I flashed a ten thousand dollar bankroll at him and his crowd. I said, “ Can you top that dog?”
We left the apartments and headed to the Royal Tokyo to get some food.
I proposed another toast, we held our glasses up, I said, “ Stay strong and be strong. Love and peace, forever.”
I had come full circle in one day of believing that God would help me. I could move forward and realize my purpose here on earth. We all must do this.
The parking lot was full of limos and luxury cars. I gave Steve a hundred dollars to get him something to eat; he had been driving all day. We went inside, Steve got a table by the bar. We got one with a view of the traffic on Greenville Avenue.
Lisa said, “ I’ve never been here before but I’ve heard about the food. Charles, have you ever eaten here before?”
I had, but I lied, “ No its my first time too.” I didn’t want to ruin the mood. She was enjoying herself so much and that what was important. I wasn’t trying to impress this time, I was here to eat and enjoy this moment.
She said, “ I’m hungry for some sea food. I want it all; crab legs, shrimp, lobster, and all the trimmings. Some fine wine, and my man.” I looked at the menu, the Super Ocean Delux Dinner would fit the bill.
I said, “ Let’s go for the Super Deluxe. Chris on the side. Where’s the waitress?” I looked deep into her eyes and said, “What you know about fine wines?”
“I’ll surprise you about what I know,” she said.
I said, “ Just be yourself. That’s all I want from you, now.”
She smoked me with those brown eyes and said, “ I will. I’m feeling good about what is happening now. I know you really care for me.”
I said, “ We will go straight ahead from now on, brown sugar. You better hold on.”
She grabbed me like I was her last hope in reality.
The waitress dissolved our moment, she said, “ Hello. Can I take your orders now?”
I said, “ We will have two Super Ocean Deluxe and a bottle of Christal”

She said, “ Would that be all?”
I said, “ That will be all. Add two teas to that also.”
A waiter brought the wine; opened and poured our glasses full.
Lisa wanted to make the toast, she said, “ Lord bless today and keep us together. To love and happiness.”
I said, “ Forever and a day.”
The twilight of my life had turned around. I felt like a phoenix rising from the ashes of despair and hopelessness. What ever I was to do, I could at least make my best effort. The meal was superb. They spared nothing to satisfy our enjoyment of our time there. No more press ham, well not everyday anymore.
I said, “ We gonna bust. Baby, did you enjoy the meal?”
Lisa smiled and said, “ It was top notch. We big ballin, Charlie.”
I gave our compliments to the waitress and staff; I left her a hundred dollar tip.
I got the wine and we headed out to the limo. Lisa was holding on to me like she would never let go. I had to call my brother; he should be off from work.
I said, “What’s up dog? How you living?”
Philco said, “ What’s up dog? Its tough out here. I heard you made a come up. Nina called me at work.”
“She can’t keep nothing under her hat. I was going to surprise you.”
“ She told me this was the big one. Man, you did it didn’t you? I know you could.”
We had left Wichita Falls twenty years ago to start a new life. We probably would not be alive if we had not got out when we did, its hell. We had to fish to survive. We could not find work. The pen was out of the question. He knew what I trying to accomplish all along. We helped other through hard times until we could get on our feet in Dallas. He came through like a trooper after I was forced from my job with the city after nineteen years. When my funds dried up he was there for me; just like I was for him.
I said, “ I’m coming to get you, we going to party. Call Sonjia, tell her you coming to get her in a limo. I got something for you, bro.”
“ I don’t know if she is at her mother’s, yeah, I’m going to surprise her dog. Come on over.”
“ I’ll be there in twenty minutes. We just casual.”
“We?”
“ Lisa’s with me, we just left the Royal Tokyo,” I said.
“ Okay. I hear you man. I’ll be looking out for you. Later.”
The sun was setting. Lisa was cradled in my arms sleep. The wine and food had taken its toll. I had to stay focused. If I could meet tomorrow, I’d stir it up good.
“ Nina”
“Hello”
“ I’m on the way to pick Philco up.”
She was laughing.
“ He think he was in shock when he talked with you. We are going to have a sit down at the penthouse. Lisa and Sonjia will be there to moderate and participate. We will lock them tonight. Play time is over, it’s real.”
“ We can have a celebration party next week. I’ll put it together. The boys are in the streets and I’m here with Anthony sipping on Christal. Call me tomorrow, okay.”

“ You put the party together. Spare no expense. I’ll call you tomorrow. Later.”
Steve spotted Philco about the same time I did. I said, “ I want you to meet my baby brother, Phillip. Let him in on the other side. Ask him the directions, he’ll know what you are talking about.” We were on the road again. Philco said, “ This is the custom stretch, it is tight. We on top of the world, baby brother. You did it. You beat the Company!”
“ You ready for this brother? We are on the fast track now. Check this.”
I opened the briefcase as he and Lisa looked on. She said, “ Is that real?”
He said, “ Jackpot! We might have to get some security”.
I reached in and got twenty thousand out, I said, “ Here is some pocket change. I’ll open your account in the morning; make sure you have your social security and driver’s license. That’ all you need.”
Lisa had poured up three glasses of wine, I toasted, “ Nerve a extra dose of luck. To the good times.” We all said, “ To the good times”, and drank up.
I said, “ We got to keep this on the quiet. We’ll be moving too fast for anyone to have the time to interfere with us. We going to the top and can’t be stopped. “ Philco said, “ I got your back big brother.”
“ I got your too, baby brother. Damn, Richard and David should be here. It’s a shame they are gone to the other side.”
“ Yeah it would have been good if they were here. But we got do this, we all that’s left.”
I said, “ We got to do this right. No slips. On the real all the way.”
I was going to have a big party tonight but it could wait, there was not enough time to get everyone there. I’d just call Nina and ask her to set it up for next week when everyone would be there.
“ Hello”
“ Yes big brother.”
“ I hope you haven’t spent that money all ready”
We laughed. It was good to hear her laugh She deserve to be happy. She had held the family together for so long. She needed to relax.
I said, “ What you doing?”
“ Anthony and I are chillin, sipping on Christal and talking about riding to Shreveport later on. The boys are out celebrating. “
Listen, “ You will be a millionaire by eleven o’clock tomorrow morning. Check your account balance at eleven.”
She said, “ I knew you would do right. I’m sorry I ever doubted you. Thank you Charles.”
“ Its not over. This is just the preliminary shot. We are going for the kill. This will tide us over until the case is settled. We can catch up on life, the way it should have been from the start, years ago. Can you dig it?”
“ I can dig it.”
“I got Phillip going to the bank to set up his account in the morning, we all will be millionaires. I’m taking them to the penthouse to celebrate. Be careful on that highway.
Later.”
“ We will. Have a good time. Bye.”



Philco had over heard my conversation with Nina, he said, “ You the man. We can really live right. I can get my family back together. I can quit that job and do something for myself. Is this real, Charles?”
I said, “ You better bite yourself. This is not a dream.”
Steve called back, “ Charlie we are here.”
“ Thanks. Blow twice. Let Philco out of the car. Its show time.” I said.

  We made it to the bank. The Company settled for one hundred fifty million dollars three weeks later. Granny is being taken care of proper. Tyre, my other nephew, is about to become a father. We are just thankful that the Lord watched out for us so long ago.
  
.

 

 

Copyright © 2004 Charles Evans
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"