Untitled About Bugs
Durfee's Student

 

 The emerald lawn glittered in the early dew. A gentle breeze fluttered the leaves on a large bush in the lilac row. The sun's glow beyond the ridge signaled dawn's appearance, but morning was not quite upon the world. In the next yard, a robin stirred in a tree. It was an experienced hunter, and knew that although the sun had not yet risen, it was best to start searching for food before the competition arrived. After all, the early bird gets the grasshopper.

     "Wake up," a voice commanded loudly. Leapweed grumbled, but quickly roused himself. Hopgrass was not above kicking him awake, and her legs were very strong for her age. He peered under a leaf hanging over his roost at the awakening community of Lilac Row. His family was lucky. Not all grasshoppers got such a nice view, and Lilac Row was a haven for insects.
     Leapweed's father was a scout for the Food Collection. He searched for new collection areas, good planting soil, and protected workers as they completed their tasks. His job had a fair amount of danger, but it was an honorable one and ensured that his family had a comfortable dwelling and high priority in the winter food distribution.
     However, the most dangerous and admirable position was one with the Outbounders. These grasshoppers were highly respected, and not without reason. They patrolled the boundaries, fought off invaders, and spread the alarm during bird attacks. This was Leapweed's dream- to become an Outbounder captain. This was quite unattainable for him, as he was not even close to being the best of the young grasshoppers ready to participate in the Boundling Test. This was a sort of competition, open to all able and willing young grasshoppers ready for their career choices, which took place at the Celebration. The Celebration was a time to feast, celebrate the year, and start over.
     An angry outburst cut through Leapweed's thoughts. "How many times do I have to tell you not to chew on your roost!" His mom was scolding Hopgrass. "You'll eat the whole leaf and then where will you sleep? Besides, you know that lilacs give you stomach pains!"
     A few minutes later, Hopgrass was indeed in a vile temper because of her upset stomach. Leapweed hurriedly clambered along the branch and glimpsed his father bounding off to work before he disappeared in the mulch. His mother gave him a small rose leaf, which he ate on his way down the bush. At the bottom he spotted a large weed and smiled to himself when he saw an old grasshopper resting in its shade. Twigg was very irritable, but he was wise and Leapweed counted him as a close friend. However, Leapweed had no time to chat, as he was already running late.
     In the distance, he noticed a familiar, cheerful face attached to a rather round body. "Munchmoss! Wait for me!" he cried delightedly. He soon caught up with his friend. Another young grasshopper joined them quickly.
     "Chewleaf!" Munchmoss greeted the newcomer, "This is great. Now we can go to the gathering together." Leapweed suddenly saw his friends' faces transition from happy to alarmed. He was about to ask what was wrong when something hurled him head over heels. He looked around an saw a big, strong grasshopper favored for the Boundling test; Thorn.
     "Sorry, worm, didn't see you. I had more important things to watch for," Thorn smirked.
     "What's so important that the great Thorn can't watch where he's going?" Leapweed seethed.
     Thorn put on an expression of mock astonishment. "What, you don't know? Better run home then. Weaklings go first." With that, he was gone.
     The three friends looked at each other in confusion. But a call sounded from the opposite side of the lawn. The training had already started. They arrived only a little late to the gathering, and settled near a clump of slightly older grasshoppers. Here at this edge of the lawn, young grasshoppers were trained for the danger and hard work that existed in life. They were taught rudimentary fighting, how to find food and what to eat, how to evade predators, and what career would suit each one best. Once they chose a career, they were further instructed in that field.
     The training master's voice echoed across the gathering place. "I have two announcements to make. The first is to caution you all when in the open. Birds have been sighted frequently lately, and at least two of our kin have been taken. You may know them: they are Lychen the Scout and Burrleaf the Outbounder. Also others in various communities are missing.
     "On a happier note, the Celebration approaches. I expect all those who will participate in the Boundling Test to train their hardest and do their best. You will compete against other training groups, so represent us all with pride!" A wild cheer resounded throughout the gathering.
     The training started, but Leapweed had a hard time concentrating. He thought bird attacks were more important than fighting techniques of Swaner warriors. After all, he had known Lychen through his father! When they practiced the techniques, he had no clue what they were doing, and was luckily paired with Chewleaf, who whispered to him the pattern of kicks he was supposed to demonstrate. Leapweed glared at Thorn, who was doing the drill perfectly.
     He was just about to leave with Chewleaf when Munchmoss showed up and breathlessly told them what had kept him so long.
     "They're having a Boundling Test Practice Camp and there's going to be real live Outbounders who are going to demonstrate the best way to prepare for the test and everyone's signing up and I really want to do it but I don't want to be the only one of us so I was wondering are you guys signing up?"
     Leapweed and Chewleaf hardly understood him, but really wanted to go when he repeated it slowly. The first session was the next day after training, so all sign-ups were to be done now. There was a long line of grasshoppers waiting to put themselves on the list, and by the time Leapweed and his friends reached the front, there were no more openings in the camp. Dejected, the trio turned away and decided to visit Twigg, the old grasshopper Leapweed had seen earlier.
     The minute they reached Twigg's weed, he noticed their upset faces and asked what was wrong.
     "There was a Test training camp but there were no more openings, so we don't stand a chance now. Thorn will probably win because he's stronger, but thinks he's better because of that so he's a bully," complained Leapweed.
     Twigg carefully observed each forlorn face and seemed to be thinking. Then, he said quietly, "That's not very fair. I've been to many places and encountered many cultures. I think you'll make good Outbounders, given proper training, so I'll help you."
     Leapweed and Munchmoss were quite bewildered, but clever Chewleaf caught on and realized that Twigg's experience was invaluavle.
     Twigg nodded. "Exactly. I've seen many rough and hostile places, and I was a junior in the Silveek army, too, so I know some fighting tricks. Besides, it's good to be able to protect yourself, even if you don't make the Outbounders."
     The younger three wanted to start right away, so Twigg started by introducing them to a theory that was founded on the Derval nation's beliefs, that would supposedly improve their strength and ability. In essence, it stated that inside everyone was a sort of extra energy source. With the right combination of willpower, patience, and practice, as well as an outlet for the energy, one could pull energy from the source and increase power or heal an injured area. He then told his students to relax and try to find their energy sources. He encouraged them to close their eyes if it was easier. Leapweed focused intensely, but Twigg scolded him and repeated the need to relax. Once more, Leapweed closed his eyes and settled himself. Soon, peace stole through his body, and he gradually noticed a glowing orb deep inside, inviting him to dissolve and let it flow through his body. He grow excited and lost his calm. The orb disappeared and he opened his eyes with a mixture of disappointment and exhiliration. He'd lost it, but it was there!
     Twigg nodded with approval when Leapweed described the experience. "Excellent! Chewleaf also found and lost his. Munchmoss is still working on it." Suddenly, Munchmoss kicked out viciously and sent a chunk of bark flying. Chewleaf and Leapweed gaped, but Twigg congratulated him warmly. It was dark, so Twigg sent them home, saying that they were fast learners and there was a chance they'd learn enough for the Celebration.
     Back home, Leapweed told his parents excitedly about Twigg's promise. They were pleased, but Hopgrass bit him jealously. He didn't react at all, he was so elated. That night, he had fabulous dreams of himself being announced the winner of the Boundling test.
     The following morning, Leapweed and his friends returned to the gatering to find Thorn boasting loudly about the first training camp session. Apparently, the Outbounder had congratulated him for his talent, and hinted that he'd make a fine Outbounder captain. This made Leapweed furious and he tried harder than ever during his lessons.
     After training, the three grasshoppers returned to Twigg's weed to further their instruction. This time, he warmed them up by having them find their energy source and "attack their enemy" which happened to be small rocks. Once more, Leapweed eventually found the little orb. This time, he waited. Then, very slowly, he reached out and touched it. It'sfeeling dazed him, reminding him of the great flashes of light during storms that seemed alive with energy. Gathering himself, he willed it into his legs. At first, it merely loosened slightly. He suddenly visualized himself kicking out with full force and Twigg praising him. Determination welled up inside him and the energy dissolved into his legs. He opened his eyes and realized he'd explode if he didn't let it out. He glanced at the pebble and unleashed the force straining to escape.
                                 To Be Continued...

 

 

Copyright © 2006 Durfee's Student
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"