The Sand Dollar
Wesley B Rose Drley

 

The Sand Dollar

By

Dr. Leyrose

"Mooom! Katie's singing and I can't think! I'm trying to finish my homework!" bellowed the older sister. Her mother, still at her desk working on her presentation, responded with, "Katie Summer, I told you to go to sleep. Now be quiet and go to sleep." Her mom, feeling a little guilty, couldn't let Katie's condition change the rules. She wouldn't spoil Katie and hurt her oldest. Besides, Katie was just a happy child and spread that happiness wherever she was. Her mom regretted not spending more time with her girls, but she had to make a living.

Katie had found a friend to spend time with. Every afternoon, after Bible School, she would spend the time waiting for her sister, talking with her friend. Her friend told her many things and listened to everything Katie had to say. He especially listened when Katie wanted to talk about her condition. She tried to tell her mom about him, but her mom was on the phone and really didn't understand. Katie was glad in a way, because she figured her mom would make him stop coming by. So Katie kept it to herself.

The next evening, as Katie played in her room, her mom talked with the secretary from Church on the phone. The secretary was telling her what a pleasure Katie had been during Bible School. Then came the invitation to attend the graduation. Still thinking about her big presentation coming up, she had to ask the secretary to repeat what she'd said. The secretary said, "We're going to start and end the ceremony with the song you helped your daughter write." Not wanting to give herself away, she replied "That's wonderful, I'm so proud of her." After hanging up the phone, she walked into Katie's room. There, with tears in her eyes, she began to listen to Katie, really listen. It was the first time she had in a very long time. Like a student before a teacher, she sat listening to Katie as a wonderful, heart wrenching, story unfolded.

Katie began by telling her about the Old Man she met one day playing in the sand. As she examined a sand dollar she'd found, she heard his voice. When she looked up he was standing there. Immediately they became friends. "He told me a story," she continued, "It was a story about a sand dollar. He even told me I could write it down. So, I did. I even made it a project for Bible School. You remember, I showed it to you that night. You said you thought it was nice. My teacher thought it was nice too. She put it in a frame and said she wanted to splay it. It was ok with me." With big sparkling eyes Katie continued, while clasping her mother's hand. "He said you don't have to worry and I forgot, but i was spose to ask you something. Mommie, can we go to Church Sunday, like we used to do?"

Holding her tightly in her arms, she told Katie how proud she was of her. With a heavy heart she choked out, "I'd love to do that again. Now, let's figure out what we're going to wear at your graduation."

The next day she explained to her boss that she wanted a few days off. It was a big risk, there were many people capable of doing her job. She knew a few who had even tried. And, the company was under a lot of pressure right now. Pressure that had taken hold of her and robbed her of precious time. She had become so wrapped up in work over the months. And, like quicksand, it had slowly crept into her life at home. But, to her surprise, her supervisor said yes. As a matter of fact, he was going to recommend a vacation - before she started her new job as section supervisor. She'd have to go to meetings, and help others excel. And, he emphasized, she would have to be out of the office by four every day. And lastly, he said to thank Katie for the note. Because of it, he and his daughter were rediscovering each other, happiness, and a great lesson of life.

Having left work early she stopped by, picked up her eldest, and together they went shopping. They were going to buy new outfits. And, they were going to take their time - as long as they were home to meet Katie. They had a wonderful time, the best they'd had in months. Store after store, they looked and shopped. It was a wonderful day, a day they both really needed. They didn't talk about school or work. They talked about other things, silly things that made them laugh. They even had their picture taken in one of those silly booths.

A short while before she was suppose to leave, Katie sat patiently as her little body began to jerk and twitch. The other kids watching this began to laugh. It didn't bother Katie. In fact, she laughed with them. They weren't really laughing at her, they were laughing at the things her body did. The laughter, somehow, made these episodes easier for everyone to handle. Besides, this group of kids was special, just like Katie. Aside from their common love for Jesus, they shared a common bond of infirmity. Each had a condition, many from birth, that limited their interaction with the rest of the world. But to them, it didn't matter. They were happy, each and every one. And they all loved Katie.

The man stumbled, half blind, to his truck. Hesitating while he searched for his keys, he allowed the anger to build inside him. He was almost in a full rage as he started the vehicle. He loved fast automobiles, and this truck as fast. He had personally installed the racing engine. Oh yes, this truck would move. As he roared onto the street, smoke billowed from the rear fenders. The tires, turning so rapidly, barely made a sound as they strained to grip the asphalt. Now, passing 50 miles per hour, the truck roared down the street, accelerating at an alarming rate. The man, in a drug and alcohol induced rage, was totally oblivious to the signs. These signs, meant to warn drivers of children at play, (and to reduce their speed), just flashed by unnoticed.

Katie, now that the spasms had stopped, walked to the curb in preparation to cross the street. She lived only a few hundred yards from there. She was in an even better mood that usual, smiling and waving to everyone as she stepped onto the street. With her mind on graduation that night, she didn't notice the vehicle as it bore down on her. She took a few steps, then suddenly she felt herself flying through the air. It happened so fast she lost her breath. Like a movie in slow motion, she watched as the truck, (barely more than a blur), raced on down the street......

Reflecting on the events, exactly one year ago, Katie's mother placed the bookmark in her Bible before laying it on the coffee table. The beautiful laminated bookmark contained the words of the song Katie had written:

" He told me so, He told me so
God loves me now, I know it's so
His love forever helps me grow
It's true you see because I know.

He loves us all, oh can't you see
Always there for you and for me
He gave his Son upon a tree
This love he had for you and me

He told me so, he told me so
He loves me now, I know it's so
His love forever helps me grow
It's true you see, because I know

Instead of gold upon his head
A ring of thorns was placed instead
Forgive them now for what they said
Someday through me they'll all be led

He told me so, he told me so
God loves me now, I know it's so
His love forever helps me grow
It's true you see, because I know

He wants us all to be his child
Not being mean or acting wild
He loves us all, the meek and mild
Because of him, who men reviled

He told me so, he told me so
God loves me now, I know it's so
His love forever helps me grow
It's true you see, because I know

That song had touched many lives and was commonly known and sung by many children. Rising from the chair, she walked over closer, so she could again read the story hanging in a frame over the fireplace. The story, also written by Katie, was once displayed in the Church. It had been reproduced and widely distributed. But, the original with the hand drawn sand dollar, now hung here.

After God made all the people, he was watching one day. As He watched He became very sad. The people were being very bad and doing things He didn't like. As He watched, a tear fell form God's eye. It hit the ocean and broke up into little pieces. The waves carried the pieces to the shore. And there they got mixed with the sand. Every piece made a sand dollar. And if you look you can see all the parts. There are five prints in the middle that look like a flower. The prints show us the five things God wants us to know.

1. Love everybody like he says we should do
2. Tell God when you're happy and when you're sad too
3. Let God know when you like the things he does for you
4. Don't quit when you start, not 'till you're through
5. And through His Son He'll make you brand new

In the middle it looks like a star. It makes us remember the night Jesus was born.
-- Katie Summer

After reading the story to herself, she remembered she had to get ready. Today was the last day of Bible School. Tonight, she was in charge of the graduation ceremony. It was her first time, and she was a little nervous.

Teaching the children about God and his Son Jesus had become much more satisfyting than her job. She couldn't explain how it made her feel. But spending time with that group of kids was just amazing. And to think, she owed it all to Katie! As she reviewed the schedule for today, and the ceremony tonight, the prospect didn't seem as ominous as it had. Just thinking about Katie leading the program with a song was comforting. She just wished the mysterious stranger, that had snatched Katie from the jaws of death, could be there tonight!


 

 

Copyright © 2003 Wesley B Rose Drley
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"