The Great Galactic War
Josh Diodispazio

 

Chapter One: The beginning



Captains Jor Brel and Brok’Tan, who had gone through the DOOP Academy together and managed to become among the best human Captains in the known Universe, although they would claim they are the best, were on their way back to DOOP Head Quarters after both had been on long diplomatic missions. In the Hotel Quadrant the planets Taygete and Ganymede were at war for the past 2 years. The Taygete leader Ch’Regna was always saying that no one in the DOOP would listen to her complaints that the Ganymedites were harassing the Taygetites and threatening to kill some of the more powerful leaders of the Taygetites government. Ch’Regna had just taken over power when her father Gul’Evek was murdered about 6 months ago. She had always heard stories from her father that in the old days before any of the turmoil began (around the year 2699 C.E.)the Taygetites and the Ganymedites were one in the same people. The Taygetites found a world about 10 parsecs from Taygete with a habitable atmosphere (Ganymede which was a heavily forested planet with two vast oceans). Then the planet’s population was 12 billion Taygetites. Taygetite scientists had forewarned about the rapid growth of the population. No more than 10 billion Taygetites could safely inhabit the planet. So the government asked for volunteers to go to this strange new world. There were no volunteers. So the government began to relocate Taygetites “for the good of the species”. The first to leave the planet were the criminals, next the poor, and so on and so on until both planets had 6 billion inhabitants. There were some that were forced to leave their homes from all jobs. There were lawyers, judges, government officials etc. The government officials quickly went to work organizing the new planet. Construction began immediately to make temporary shelter for 6 billion people. For the government of Taygete did not send many supplies to the new world. Some claim that the leaders of Taygete sent the now 6 billion Ganymedities to their death purposely. Others say that the government sent them there to find resources and in about 3 decade would destroy all life on the planet and take all the resources for themselves. Still others say they were sent to this strange planet to get a new start on life. Things on this new planet may be better than they used to be. For the first six months life on the new world was harsh. Only enough supplies to last for 2 months were taken by each and every family that was forced to relocate. In the first month the hunters and gatherers when out to hunt and gather what edible material they could. They found an ocean and began to fish hoping to catch enough edible creatures that they could sustain life on this new world. The lumberjacks went out and began to devour the forests. The first thing to be created was a sawmill. Production was slow though due to the lack of people working. So people began to get jobs at the sawmill. “Help build your future” read a sign hanging on the sawmill. People began to apply for jobs, rather than just sit around and wait for death they might as well try to make the best of what little they had. One month after the sawmill was in operation and operating at full capacity houses were being built hundreds of people were building their houses the way they had always dreamed. And it was all at no cost. While houses were being built of the population another major construction project was already underway. The project was to establish the planets first government. The politicians had already formed an interim government that was already in the process of finding out more about their new home. Explorers would bring back new information each day. The more information they could attain about the planet the better they could govern it. The politicians began to write the Constitution of Ganymede. It was much like the Constitution that they were accustom to with a few minor changes that they had always thought were needed. Six months after they were forced on to this new world the new planet began to thrive. The government was steady and was already making allies with neighboring planets. From these allies they began trading to acquire new technologies to better their lives. They built a spaceport and opened it up to their allies. They began to get, space ships, land cruisers and watercraft. The planet, which no one thought would survive, began to grow faster than anyone could have imagined. The government was now permanent with its leaders elected by the people. They had no more monarchy, which was hated by the entire population of Ganymede. There were no more poor people every one on the planet, for now at least, was well off. Businesses sprang up in as little as 6 months. People could hardly believe that it was almost the year 2703 C.E. Little did anyone know that their pleasant new world was about to be shattered by war. As Ganymede began to prosper and grow, the leader of Taygete, Gul’Evek, became jealous of the new worlds newfound glory. How did this happen, he wondered. How could they have become so powerful? He thought to himself, “I must stop Ganymede from joining the DOOP. For if they do there will be no hope for us”. “We will be destroyed by them. I know that they hate us for forcing them on to a new world.” He thought. “Will they attack us”, he wondered. “Do they still hold a grudge after two years?” As he was pondering this one of the council members burst through the door. “Sir”, he exclaimed. “Sir, we have just been informed that Ganymede has just applied to the DOOP.” “Cripes”, thought Gul’Evek. “When Ganymede is accepted into the DOOP they will ask for diplomatic aid! They will tell the DOOP that they were forced against their will to go to a strange new planet, and given little to survive with. Then with their story of how the planet prospered and made alliances with other planets the DOOP is sure to side with them.” “Sir”, said Gorn, “What do you suggest we do?” “When was the application submitted?” “One week ago a ship left Ganymede headed for the DOOP Head Quarters.” “There ship is at least three days from DOOP Head Quarters at maximum warp,” said Gorn. “They are in no hurry,” said Gul’Evek. “They won’t be going faster than warp two. Take our fastest ship arm it with as many proton torpedoes as it can handle, and hunt down and destroy that ship. Blast it out of existence.” Said Gul’Evek. Gorn bows and says “As you wish your Majesty”. Gorn leaves and rushes to the Royal Shipyard.

Chapter Two: The Mission



He walks into the shipyard Head Quarters, grabs a microphone, flips a switch to the on position, and says “Attention all Royal pilots, His Majesty demands the best pilot and the fastest ship prepare for flight. The ship will be loaded with as many photon torpedoes as it will hold and the pilot will report to yard Head Quarters immediately.” He flips the switch back to the off position and sets down the microphone. Two minutes later a tall well built war tattered pilot walks rushes through the open door. “Sir Captain Branigon reporting for duty as ordered”, said the pilot. “Captain take your shop and hunt down the Ganymede ship Aasfresser and blow it out of existence”, said Gorn. “Yes Sir”, Branigon salutes and rushes to his waiting ship. AS he gets inside the Jäger his videophone screen turns on and shows the face of Gorn. “Yes Sir? Is there something that I forgot to do sir?” asked Branigon “No captain” Gorn said. “I forgot to tell you where the Aasfresser is.” “Ah, that would be a good thing to know I suppose Sir.” Chuckled Branigon. “It should be nearing the Foxtrot Quadrant. Their destination is DOOP Head Quarters. Make absolutely sure that they don’t make it there”, said Gorn. “YES SIR!” exclaimed Branigon. Brangion turned off the videophone, and started up the engines. He went over the preflight checklist the same as he did before every flight. When he had completed the checklist, he donned his helmet he punched up his comm. Link, “Jäger to tower requesting permission for take off.” He waited. A voice crackled through the static. “Jäger this is the tower you are clear for take off, we will see you when you return have a safe trip.” “Thanks Roy”, said Branigon. Branigon started off down the runway he pulled back on the stick and his craft soared into the sky. Branigon was about 10 parsecs from Ganymede when he noticed a blip on his radar. What is it? He wondered. As he sped off he noticed that no matter what he did the ship was following him. “What the hell”, he said aloud. He clicked his comm. link on “Tower this is the Jäger I have a trailer my coordinates are...” The comm. link cut out... “Tower?” Branigon began to think that maybe whoever it was might be hostile. He engaged the warp drive. He burst through space at maximum warp. “That will get that ship off my tail. Now to set coordinates for the Aasfresser. As Captain Branigon approached the Aasfresser he cut the warp engines and went to full impulse power. When he was in visual range of the Aasfresser he turned on his tracking radar. He locked on to the Aasfresser. He fired two photon torpedoes, and watched them fly through the emptiness of space toward their target. About a minute after he fired the torpedoes a ship turned into the intended flight path of the torpedoes and took the hit for the Aasfresser. As the ship exploded the Aasfresser went to maximum warp. Branigon cursed the stupid pilot that got in the way of his torpedoes. “Damned fool”, he shouted. “Computer find the ion trail of the Aasfresser and set coordinates to follow it, maximum warp” he shouted. The computer beeped in acknowledgement and did as Branigon said. Branigon saw a flash of light and knew that he was at maximum warp. He sat back and wondered “who the hell could that have been?” Branigon knew that he could not contact the Royal Shipyard until he came out of light speed. Even then it would have to be by videophone. The only thing would be that it would be more like a video message rather than a phone conversation. Sort of like in 2004 C.E. when videophones made their first appearance. All they were, were simple messages sent by the phone to the calling party. But in 2008 videophones were made to hold actual conversations. But it was not until 2020 when the militaries of Earth started using them on a daily basis and the old phones went the way of the Dinosaur. In 2019 Secure Videophones were manufactured for the military. The Federation used them until its demise. When the DOOP took the place of the Federation scientists from all over the known universe met on the planet Praxis about 20 parsecs from the DOOP Head Quarters to set standard for intergalactic communications. They found a way to communicate from the Alpha Quadrant all the way to the Hotel Quadrant but it would be video messaging only. Captain B’Aari, the captain of the Aasfresser, had sent a message to the leaders of the DOOP. “Sirs we are under attack. There is a ship following us trying to destroy us. We are on a mission to DOOP Head Quarters from Ganymede, a planet in the Hotel quadrant about 10 parsecs from Taygete. Please help us!” A message was received right before the Jäger dropped out of light speed. This is Captain B’Alark of the DOOP I am on my way to rescue you keep heading for the DOOP Head Quarters. Just then two torpedoes rip through the Aasfresser and it is blown out of existence. Laser bolts come flying in the direction of the Jäger. Captain Branigon quickly turns the ship about and engages the warp engines and blasts into space. Making sure to hide his ion trail so he will not be followed. As he journeys back to Taygete he decides to make the message announcing the destruction of the Aasfresser. He addresses the message directly to the King himself. “Your Majesty, this is Captain Branigon of the Taygete battle ship Jäger, I wish to inform you that the mission to destroy the Aasfresser has been completed. I also wish to tell you that there were two other ships that were not foreseen. I destroyed one of the two ships. I was followed when leaving our home sector. Apparently, the same ship that followed me was hit by my first two photon torpedoes in an effort to save the Aasfresser. I believe that the Aasfresser knew that they were being followed and radioed for help which, I suppose, is where the other ship came from. It shot at be but I escaped and masked my ion trail so there is no way the could have identified my ship or followed me. “Captain B’Aari to Head Quarters. The Aasfresser has been destroyed and the ship that destroyed her got away and I do not know who it was or where she came from. I cannot find the ion trail. I am returning to base.” “Roger that Captain, we will be expecting you shortly. The commander is already preparing your debrief.” Said a voice in response. “Roger, over and out.” “I can’t help but feel sorry and responsible for the destruction of the Aasfresser,” said B’Aari. “Why didn’t I get here sooner?” He grunted and pounded his fists on the console in front of him. As he did an alarm sounded. “WARNING incoming transmission,” said the computer. “On screen,” he shouted back. His monitor was filled with a face. “Who the hell is that?” he wondered. “Are you Captain B’Aari,” said the man. “Yes,” he replied, “who the hell are you.” “There is no time or that you must go to these coordinates.” He looked at his navigation monitor and saw some strange coordinates. “What the hell is going on here?” He shouted. “All you need to know is that some potential allies have been attacked.” The man said. “Are you talking about the Aasfresser?” He questioned. “Yes,” said the man. “Just hurry to those coordinates there is no time to loose!” he exclaimed. Just then the monitor went dark. “Computer,” said B’Aari, “head for those coordinates and send a message back to DOOP Head Quarters that we are going there and tell them why.” The computer beeped in acknowledgement and sent the message then fired up the warp engines. “MAXIMUM WARP COMPUTER!” he yelled over the roaring engines. The ship blasted into space.

 

 

Copyright © 2004 Josh Diodispazio
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"