Daphne & Cloe.
Terry Collett

 

Daphne Dryas gazed from the veranda. The May morning was bright and warm and she sensed the sun's rays on her face as she gazed out over the garden. Her husband Richard was abroad on government business and her two sons, Charles and James, were away at boarding school in Hampshire. Apart from the servants, she was alone. But not for much longer, she hoped. Soon Cloe Calluna would be arriving for what, Daphne prayed, would be a long stay.

Moving along the veranda she peered at the mulberry tree which she loved and where, when she first met Richard, they sat and talked for hours. Now they talked little and seldom sat together for any great length of time. So it was pleasing to her that morning to know that Cloe would soon be coming and her low spirits would once again be lifted as they usually were when Cloe arrived.

Just to her right, Marsden, their head-gardener, was by the rhododendron, his balding head rising and falling in motion to his task. Down by the roses, Williams, one of the under-gardeners, was staring up at the sky. She herself would normally be down in the garden at some task or other, but today she wanted to be ready for Cloe's arrival. Just then, as she was watching Williams, a sound behind her made her turn her head. It was Nellie her personal maid.

- Mrs Calluna 'as arrived, Madam. Shall I show 'er out 'ere? Nellie said. Daphne, who despaired at times over Nellie's utterings, nodded her head.

- Yes, Nellie, and ask Mrs Wynter for refreshments, Daphne said. She watched the maid traipse along the veranda and smiled to herself. Nellie was in some ways loveable, but in others she was exasperating to the point where Daphne thought of dismissing her. But now Cloe had arrived. Her spirit lifted at the mere sound of her name and the possibilities that lay ahead.

Cloe stood by the French windows. The maid had announced her and left. Daphne was standing at the far end of the veranda smiling at her.

- So nice to see you again, Cloe, Daphne said. Left your husband at home, I hope.

Cloe nodded and smiled. - He�s gone to Scotland for a few weeks. Some professor wants him to lecture on Locke and Hobbes or someone or other, Cloe informed moving along the veranda where Daphne stood. I couldn't wait for him to leave...And the thought of us together again.

Daphne embraced her and kissed her cheek. Then Daphne stood back and studied her friend closely. Cloe was about six inches shorter and slimmer; her hair was as dark as night. Her eyes were hazel and her face petite. - May Scotland keep him, and I, you, Daphne whispered as she embraced Cloe again.

- Glad Richard's away, too. Have I my favourite room? Cloe said.

Daphne nodded. Taking her friend's hand she led her in through the French windows and out of sight of Williams who stood scratching his head beneath the hot May sun.

Cloe stood by the window. Daphne had left her to freshen up and now she looked out on to the vast garden below. Behind her the room, which she felt was her room, and in which, over the years, she had grown to love and feel as some kind of sanctuary from the external world and her domestic responsibilities. Just to her right she could see an avenue of pinus trees, which led off to an area of shrubbery where she and Daphne often in the past, could lose themselves and be alone together.

The click of a door sounded behind her and she turned. A young maid stood by the door her hands held before her as if in prayer.

- Mrs Dryas said to see if there was anyfink to needed, Madam, the maid said.

Cloe studied the girl for a few seconds then shook her head. - No, I have all that I need, Cloe said. The maid made an attempted curtsey and closed the door softly behind her. Eliot, her husband, suggested she bring her personal maid, Betty; but she didn't want any spies along with her when she stayed with Daphne. Servants were infamous for their gossip below stairs...She never felt at ease with Betty around; it seemed if she were constantly watching her and reporting back to Eliot. I�m becoming paranoid, she whispered turning back to the window. She longed for Daphne to be here beside her again...She wondered if Daphne's husband had spies in the household watching her, observing her every move and word as she was certain Eliot did. Down by the roses a gardener was looking up at the window, he was mopping his brow with an off-white rag as if the May sun was too much for him. Cloe turned from the window away from his eyes.

Daphne waited by the sundial. She had told Nellie to inform Cloe of her whereabouts. The red roses surrounding the sundial, which were themselves edged in by box hedging, formed a cross. She walked around the dial until she had found the time given. Cloe seemed on edge she felt. Something was bothering her, Daphne thought as she moved around the sundial again. She thought it something to do with Eliot; there was something about the man she found tiresome and irritating on the few occasions she'd met him. Husbands, she mused, are a necessary evil. If she could have had her children without Richard she would have been happy and to have Cloe too would be heaven on earth...But things weren't done that way. Such a social scandal would ruin her and Cloe and blight her sons' lives. She sighed and walked once more round the sundial.

The pergola was alive with white roses. Daphne and Cloe walked beneath surrounded by scent and the sun's heat. - You seem anxious, Cloe dear, Daphne said. Can I help?

- I think Eliot's spying on me, Cloe informed in a whisper. Daphne looked at her friend with a frown. Then Cloe told her all that had happened since their last meeting a few months before. By the time all was told they had reached the small white summerhouse. They entered and the cool air eased them and they embraced and kissed, irrespective of possible spies on looking.

Cloe looked out at the night sky. The day had past off pleasantly, she and Daphne had been able to be alone occasionally, which was what she herself so much needed. After late dinner she had played some Bach on the piano for Daphne; then they had walked into the garden and enjoyed the warm May evening amongst the shrubs and flowers.

If only I could relax about being spied on, she mused, looking up at the stars and bright moon. She was sure the servants were talking about them and about her especially. Everywhere she went one of them was looking or whispering, she was certain. Eliot had his ways and the means to have her watched, as if she was untrustworthy and he suspected her of having an affair�

There was a slight knock at the door. The door opened and Daphne entered. - Are you all right? Daphne whispered, closing the door behind her.

- Yes, Cloe replied. Just watching the evening sky. Daphne nodded and went to stand beside her at the window. Her body ached to hold Cloe, but she held back.

- Is there anything you need? Daphne enquired.

- Only you, Cloe whispered, feeling Daphne's arm near her own.

- I�m here, my dear, Daphne informed warmly. Cloe seemed troubled.

- It�s too risky, Cloe uttered quietly, as if afraid others were listening. The servants may talk, she added, looking passed Daphne at the closed door.

- The servants are not about; I've dismissed them, Daphne said. Anyway, I know my servants; they will say nothing even if they did suspect something...Least of all to Richard. Daphne smiled. Cloe didn't seem convinced and shook her head.

- One never knows with servants, Cloe muttered. Who pays the piper selects the melody. It's Richard who pays them not you...Eliot too knows the power of money and the influence fear can have. Cloe went to the bed and sat on the edge.

- Love and loyalty are stronger, Daphne suggested, softly. Nellie, for all her funny ways and language, is loyal to me alone. She would tell me if any were untrustworthy or were being disloyal. Cloe put her hands over her face. She shook her head and mumbled words, which Daphne couldn't understand. She sat down beside Cloe and placed her arm about her. Eliot has no power or influence here, Daphne stated firmly, yet gently.

- I�m sorry for being such a fool, Cloe said. She took her hands away from her face and laid them in her lap. You are right; he can have no spies here. She laid her head on Daphne's shoulder and closed her eyes. She wanted so much to be here always, like this, secure and loved, but deep within she knew it could never be, and that these snatched moments were all that they would ever have together no matter how hard she prayed. They lay back on the bed and embraced, but still Cloe listened for footsteps and whispered words, outside the room.

Sunlight suddenly entered the room. The maid had opened the shutters silently and had turned towards the bed. Cloe placed her right hand up to her eyes to ward off the brightness. - What time is it? she said with a yawn.

The maid frowned. - About nine, Madam, Nellie replied. Mrs Dryas sent me up ta open up the shutters and see if you were all right, Nellie added, standing momentarily to attention. Cloe sat upright in bed and studied the maid for a few moments. And asked if you'd like yer breakfast in bed or wevver you'd like ta come down ta the breakfast room? Nellie appended slowly, putting her hands behind her back.

- I�ll come down later, Cloe said slowly, still scrutinizing the maid. The maid attempted a curtsey and moved away from the bed. Wait, Cloe said. Were you outside in the passageway last night listening? The maid frowned and shook her head.

- No, Madam. Mrs Dryas sent us all off ta bed early last night, Nellie replied, puzzled. Cloe closed her eyes and lay back in the bed. She gestured with her hand a sign of dismissal and the maid left the room flummoxed and clueless with a slight click of the door.

Daphne sat in the breakfast room. She contemplated Cloe sitting in silence opposite her. Apart from a weak, Good morning, Cloe had said nothing for the five minutes following. Daphne ate with little interest; Cloe ate hardly anything at all, just sipped her tea and poked at the breakfast with her fork.

- Sleep well? Daphne asked, softly. Cloe raised her eyes to Daphne's face and shook her head.

- Slept little after you left, Cloe whispered. I�m sure someone was in the passageway during the night, she added even quieter.

Daphne expressed puzzlement. Pouring more tea and lifting her head, she waved away a young maid from the room. - We will be all right for a while, Ena. The maid curtsied and left the room. Looking at Cloe, she said, There was no one about, Cloe. You must get this spying nonsense out of your head.

Cloe threw down her cutlery. - Perhaps I should leave, Cloe said, rising from the table. You think I'm imagining it all; you don't understand.

Daphne rose from the table and went to Cloe's side. - Calm yourself. I don't want you to leave, but I can assure you no one here was in the passageway last night, Daphne stated. Cloe sat down and hid her face in her hands. Daphne patted her shoulder. I don't know what Eliot has done or said to put you in this state, but here you are safe, Daphne said gently.

Cloe sobbed. Daphne didn't know Eliot as well as she thought. She could be safe nowhere, she was convinced of that. The maid in her room, the gardener, others watching...But what if Daphne was right? Maybe I am becoming paranoid. Maybe Eliot has driven close to madness. She stopped sobbing and moved her hands from her face.

- Are you sure I'm safe here? Cloe uttered like a frightened child. Daphne squeezed her tight and nodded her head in affirmation.

They walked in the garden. Daphne's arm linked with Cloe's as they wandered beneath the pergola heavy with white roses. Cloe had become brighter and Daphne was pleased that the day had provided them with many opportunities to be alone together. Lunch had gone well and after an afternoon nap they had ventured outside for a tour of the grounds.

- I shall miss you when you leave, Daphne said suddenly as they paused at the far end of the pergola. Cloe bit her lip. She squeezed Daphne's arm and held back tears that were waiting to fall.

- I shall miss you, too, Cloe whispered. She felt a sudden sinking feeling inside her and had a sensation as if she were drowning.

- Must you leave so soon? Daphne asked.

- Eliot�s letter this morning was unambiguous about my returning, Cloe informed. She had screwed up the letter and cursed him, but she knew she had to return home. Here was her happiness, but it was to be left behind. She had no choice. Eliot was sending their chauffeur the next morning to take her back. She squeezed Daphne's arm tighter, but the sinking feeling remained, pulling her down and down and down.

Daphne waved as the car drove away. Cloe's face became smaller and smaller until it disappeared from sight. She had been silent until the last hour, then she had sobbed. The time has gone so quickly, Daphne mused sadly. Poor Cloe. And she remembered their last night together and the hesitant lovemaking, the listening for sounds; the whispered fears. Now she had left, when they would meet again, Daphne didn�t know.

- �as she gone now, Madam? Nellie asked at Daphne's side.

- Yes, Nellie, she's gone, Daphne replied. She gazed up the drive in a vain hope that maybe Cloe might return, but she knew she wouldn't. Deep down inside she felt she might never see Cloe again, as if somehow it was fated that way. She turned away from the drive and walked with Nellie along the path and into the garden.

Daphne sat up in bed. She gazed at the maid by the window. -What are you doing there, Nellie? she asked quietly.

- Looking at the stars and that silvery moon, Nellie replied. She stood naked with her hands resting on her hips. Her dark-black hair let loose on her back.

- Come back to bed, Daphne pleaded, I'm getting cold. She pulled back the covers and waited until the maid tiptoed back and into bed again.

- Bet you miss 'er, don't yer Madam, Nellie whispered.

- Yes, Daphne replied with a sigh. She drew Nellie towards her and kissed her cheek. But you are here always, Nellie, Daphne said softly. Nellie smiled. She was safe again. Where she belonged. Daphne listened, but there were no footsteps or whispering voice tonight. Poor Cloe. Poor poor Cloe.

 

 

Copyright © 2000 Terry Collett
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"