The Sacred Cup
Francis James Chudley

 

The Sacred Cup


Chapter 1: The Adventure Begins

Lippin was quivering in fright. The stampede of ferocious warriors was getting closer and closer by the minute, they'd soon be upon him and he’d be dead quicker than little Lippin could yell for help. They were only 30m, 20, 10,5, 4, 3, 2……….

                    Cock-a-doodle-do; Cock-a-doodle-do.

   “Wake up Lippin,” said his mum excitedly, “it’s your big day today!”

Lippin sighed with relief, it was only a bad dream. His mother’s shouts reminded him of what day it was. It should have been a happy day for Lippin but he had a niggling feeling in the back of his mind that just wouldn’t go away.

As Lippin walked downstairs he heard his mother’s shouts.

   “ Oh my little flumpkin” squealed his mother “ it’s time to become a real Latiran warrior!”
   “ I don’t wanna leave yet!” said Lippin frantically. “ I’m not ready to go through the changes.”

“C’mon Lippin, I went through the very same changes forty years ago and nothing bad happened to Me.” said an old voice from the corner.
   “But Dad you’re a lot bigger than I am.” said Lippin nervously.
   “ Hurry up Lippin or you'll miss the ceremony. Raithrin is probably waiting for you at this very moment” said Lippin’s mom impatiently.
   “INDEED I AM.” said a deep voice behind Lippin.
   “ALAM,” shouted Lippin in fright.
   “Lippin don’t swear,” said his mum angrily. “ it's only Raithrin wearing his invisibility boots”.

   “Lippin you're 15 minutes late. Quillin and his mum have been waiting in front of the church for 20 minutes,” said Raithrin angrily.
   “I'm sorry Raithrin,” said Lippin sheepishly.
   “Grab hold of my hand Lippin.” Raithrin beckoned. Lippin grabbed Raithrins hand and they began to float upwards. Lippin had never been so excited or scared. The wind hitting into him was like a relaxing shower of air. The journey only took the about five minutes but Lippin wanted the sensation to last forever. Finally they got there. Lippin shouted to Quillin and laughed as Quillin looked for him on the ground.
   “ I’m up here,” shouted Lippin.
Quillin stared up in astonishment.
   “Get down here Lippin,” shouted Quillin. Raithrin and Lippin landed next to Quillin and his mum. Quillin grabbed Lippin and wrestled with him. “Lippin and Quillin” shouted Raithrin angrily “ stop that immediately. You're about to go on a dangerous and perilous quest.”
   “ Now I wish you two the best of luck and please try to come back alive. If you need me, say my name three times and I’ll try and help you”.

   “Bye Raithrin” said Lippin and Quillin. “Thanks for all your help.”
Lippin still had that niggling feeling in the back of his mind though and as he walked out of the little gates of Moon Bay he wondered whether he’d ever see his family again.
 




Chapter 2: The First Night

   “Quillin wake up,” said Lippin anxiously as he shaked Quillin.
   “ What is it Lippin” said Quillin grumpily.
   “I can hear a noise nearby.” Said Lippin. “I'm going to have a look,” he said bravely.
   “Don’t go, it could be the Garakus,” said Quillin.
   “Don’t be such a coward, the Garakus is only a legend. Even if the myth is true the Garakus only feeds in the daytime.” Said Lippin bravely.
   “But remember what Raithrin said, if the Garakus is hungry he’ll hunt at night too, I’m frightened, the noise is getting closer” said Quillin in a scared voice.
   “I’m going to call on Raithrin,” said Quillin.
   “Go on then Quillin but he’s not going to be happy”
   “Raithrin Raithrin Raithrin” said Lippin and Quillin together. Suddenly a bright light flashed and purple smoke started to appear. Out of the smoke walked Raithrin in his pyjamas and slippers. “ What do you think you’re doing sending for me at two o’clock in the morning”.
   “Sorry Raithrin” said Lippin and Quillin bashfully.
   “What do you want then.” Said Raithrin.
   “We think we’ve heard the Garakus moving around but we’re not sure because you told us it was just a myth.” Replied Lippin.

   “ Let me let you into a little secret here. The Garakus is real and he’s very deadly. You were meant to find out on your own so don’t tell anyone back at Moon Bay. I have to leave now, but here’s a piece of advice the Garakus’s cave is just over those hills. You have to drink from the well of knowledge in his cave. Once you have drunken from the well you will know your next task. Whatever you do, remember don't’ get stung by the Garakus’s tail otherwise insanity will besiege your body. There is no cure for the insanity as far as I know, so don’t get stung.” Said Raithrin wisely.

   “Thank you Raithrin” they both said.
   “Now get some rest” said Raithrin tiredly. But both Lippin and Quillin were too excited by far to get to sleep. So Raithrin sprinkled some sleeping dust on them and then left to get back to his own cosy bed in Moon Bay.

















Chapter 3: The Sting In The Tail

Lippin and Quillin woke up early feeling confused. “ Where did Raithrin go?” asked Lippin.
   “I don’t know, the last thing I remember is Raithrin sprinkling something on us” replied Quillin.
   “We better get going we want to reach Garakus’s cave by noon.” Said Lippin.
   “We’re running out of food though,” said a hungry Quillin.
   “We’d better go hunting then. Pass me my spear.” Lippin shouted. Quillin passed the old spear to Lippin. It was a magnificent spear, it had belonged to Lippin’s dad and his dad before that. It didn’t take them long to catch a nice juicy gobldegoop. After they had eaten they started on the long hike up the hill.
   “ How much further is it” moaned Quillin.
   “Can’t be far now” Lippin gasped. Eventually they got to Garakus’s cave. They could tell he lived there from all the skeletons scattered around. On a sign pointing into the cave there was this message

‘ Come in if you dare,
Be you Dwarf, Elf, or Thane,
Come in but beware,
You might leave here insane,
One flick of my tail,
And oh will you wail,
As all common sense is impaled.’

   “I don’t like the look of that cave. Just look at what the sign says,” said Quillin nervously.
   “Don’t worry Quillin I’ve got a plan. What we do is this; you distract Garakus, whilst I drink from the well.” Said Lippin confidently.
   “ That’s not fair, how come I have to distract Garakus” Quillin said angrily.
   “Because you look more appetising than me. Plus you can take my spear.” Said Lippin.
   “ Alright then, just don’t take long.” agreed Quillin grumpily.

Quillin and Lippin both looked round the entrance to the cave. “ I don’t believe our luck! Garakus is asleep,” whispered Lippin in a relived voice.
   “Hurry up, he could wake up any minute now” replied Quillin anxiously. Lippin started to tiptoe to the well. Suddenly Garakus woke up. “Whose in my cave?” he roared. Lippin looked up. He’d never seen Garakus before. It looked like an eel but had a big bulbous tail full of sharp spikes. Its head was bigger than Lippin house and it’s breath smelt like rotting meat. “ Quick Quillin distract it” cried Lippin. Quillin grabbed Lippin’s spear and hurled it with all his strength at Garakus. The spear just snapped in half. The Garakus turned round and stared at Quillin. “Your puny weapons are no match for my skin.” He roared. Garakus span round quickly and flicked his tail. The tail collided with poor little Quillin. Quillin collapsed to the floor and started mumbling these weird words. Lippin heard Quillin’s screams but he had to get to the well. He looked into the clear water and became mesmerised by his own reflection. He completely forgot about his task and just stared and stared and stared.















Chapter 4: The Well Of Knowledge

 Lippin snapped out of the spell. He cupped his hands and took a big swig of the water. Immediately he heard a soft calming voice in his head. The voice began to speak. This is what it said.

Hello young stranger, it’s a long time since anyone has drunk from here.
I guess you want to know what your task is. I will tell you but you have
to throw one of these stones into the well. If you throw the correct stone in I will tell you your task.
If however you throw the wrong stone in I will hold you for the Garakus to eat.

Suddenly two snakes appear. One black one and one white one. “One of these snakes will always tell the truth the other will always lie. You can only ask one question. Good Luck” and with that the cave was silent. Poor Lippin couldn’t think what to say, he racked his brains and thought his hardest but eventually he got the answer. He asked the white snake “if I ask the other snake which stone to throw in what will he say” the snake replied “the black one. Lippin picked up the white stone instead and threw it into the deep well. “Well done stranger you got it right, but I have just one other riddle for you.
   “ Hey, no fair” Lippin replied annoyed, “You said one question”.
   “You are not in a position to bargain stranger,” said the well angrily. Here is my riddle.

Often talked of, never seen,
Ever coming, never been
Daily looked for, never here,
Still approaching in the rear,
Thousand for my presence wait,
But by the decree of fate,
Though expected to appear,
They will never see me here.

Lippin thought and thought. His dad used to ask him these types of riddles when he was younger. He closed off his mind and concentrated his hardest and suddenly it clicked. “The Future” he replied triumphantly.
   “Well done stranger, I will tell you your task now. There is an Elf princess being held prisoner by Wolfgar. Your task is to rescue her. Also because of your foolishness you also have to try and cure your friend.” The well began.
   “ But there's no cure, Raithrin told us.” cried Lippin in despair.
   “You stupid fool! Raithrin doesn’t know everything. There is a cure but it’s very dangerous. You’ll have to get your friend to drink from the Sacred Cup. Wolfgar keeps it in his treasury. I wish you and your friend luck stranger, and try to stay alive”.

Lippin rushed to the entrance of the cave. He saw Quillin lying motionless on the floor. “Quillin wake up” shouted Lippin. Quillin woke up and started mumbling a weird code. “We’ve got to get out of here, Garakus could find us any minute”. Lippin picked up Quillin and rushed to the entrance but found Wolfgar’s guards at the entrance. “Well well well, if it isn’t two Latiran warriors trespassing on the mighty Wolfgar’s land.” said one of the guards mockingly. “ I think we’re going to have to take you to see Wolfgar. Chain the miserable rats up,” the head henchmen ordered. Wolfgar’s henchmen chained up poor Lippin and Quillin and then hit them both with a club. “Night Night street rats.” laughed the guard. Lippin tried hard to stay awake but the blow was too bad and he slowly drifted into unconsciousness.
  






Chapter 5: From Bad To Worse

It was deep into the afternoon before Lippin woke up. The bumps in the windy track jogged him awake. He tried to stretch but he was still tied up. He had a blinding headache, which felt like a thousand needles penetrating his brain. He opened his eyes but the blinding sunshine quickly made him close them again. He opened them again and waited for his eyes to focus. He looked around; he was in a small cart. He suddenly remembered Quillin. He looked round for Quillin, soon spotting him in the cart in front. Lippin thought about escaping but he realised he needed to get to Wolfgar’s castle anyway. Lippin also realised he was very hungry and looked around the cart for some food. He eventually spotted some bread on the seat of the cart. Lippin grabbed for the bread but a hand grabbed his. One of the guards looked round. “ Well, you're awake at last. We’re nearly at Wolfgar's castle and I can’t wait to see what horrible plans he has for you and your little friend,” the guard said menacingly. Eventually they arrived at the castle. Lippin looked in awe. The castle was huge; it had a massive drawbridge and a murky looking moat. The cart entered the castle and Lippin was pulled out of the cart. He looked around and saw loads of elves and dwarves in chains. He saw Quillin and ran towards him. “Quillin are you okay.” Lippin asked in a concerned voice.
   “Ratuse akiron, hetenel fodestrion sadlintakas boeron.” Quillin replied.
   “ Oh I forgot you were still cursed, we need you to get a drink from the cup.” Said Lippin.

Lippin and Quillin were herded up and taken up to see Wolfgar. They were blindfolded and taken up some stairs and then down a corridor. Eventually they arrived at this huge door. Their blindfolds were removed and the great door was opened. “ENTER,” said a loud voice from inside. Lippin and Quillin were presented to Wolfgar. “These Latirans were found trespassing near Garakus’s cave, Your Greatness.” Said the head guard. Wolfgar got out of his throne and walked up to Lippin. He pulled his cloak down revealing his scarred face. Lippin looked away. “What, do you find something revolting?” He said sarcastically. “You not finding my looks funny?” Lippin trembled in fright. “Your people found it funny when they did this to me” he hissed. “ Yes, you heard me right. A couple of foolish Latiran warriors did this to me.” He said scornfully. Wolfgar’s lips formed a cruel smile “ I got them back though, their skulls make good cups, don’t you think”. He pointed to his table, there were two skulls resting on it. “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t kill you right now” Wolfgar said threateningly. “Speak when I talk to you” he sniggered. Lippin tried to talk but nothing came out except a squeal. “ Kill them both, I've had enough of their pretty faces.”
Lippin cried out “ Please don’t kill us” but it was too late. Lippin and Quillin were taken to the dungeons, where they sorrowfully waited for the morning.













Chapter 6: A Lucky Escape

Lippin woke up with a feeling of dread in his stomach. He poked Quillin. “We have to escape, otherwise we’re going to lose our heads Lippins said fearfully. But before they had time to hatch a plan two burly guards came and picked them both up. They were taken outside to a big courtyard. Lippin looked up and saw the executioner holding a big axe. We’re doomed; thought Lippin sadly. Wolfgar stood up and waved to the crowd. “ Alright then, do you want to see a beheading,” he shouted. The crowd roared their approval.
“So you don’t think we should spare their pathetic lives,” he said jokingly. The whole of the crowd rose to their feet and booed. “ I guess not,” Wolfgar shouted nastily. “ Well get on with it then Executioner, what do you think I pay you for” he yelled.
The executioner ushered Lippin to the chopping block. “ You are hereby charged with trespassing on the Almighty Wolfgar’s land. You have been sentenced to death by beheading. Do you have any last requests” the executioner asked.
   “ I just ask for my and my friends freedom.” Replied Lippin.
   “ REQUEST REFUSED” laughed Wolfgar.
   “Put your head on the block,” the executioner demanded. Lippin put his head on the block and prayed for a miracle. “ 5,4,3,2,1……..” Wolfgar counted. Suddenly a horn was blown. There was a huge explosion and a thick black smoke filled the courtyard. Lippin felt someone grab his hand. “ Follow me, I’ll help you escape.” Lippin grabbed Quillins hand and followed the intruder.

He led them to this door which even little Lippin had to duck to fit through. Once inside the smoke disappeared. Lippin looked to see who had rescued him. He could still hear the shouts of Wolfgar's guards outside. He saw a short cunning looking dwarf. “ Hi, my names Hinchpin, I saw what they were about to do and I just couldn’t resist humiliating Wolfgar.” Said the dwarf. Lippin knew Hinchpins face from somewhere but he couldn’t think where. Suddenly he remembered. “ Hey aren’t you that master thief wanted in connection with the theft of Wolfgar's crown.” Lippin asked excitedly.
   “ You bet I am,” said the dwarf proudly. “ Wait here a minute.” Hinchpin said. He waddled off through another small door. Lippin surveyed the room. It looked like they were inside a big oak tree. Hinchpin returned holding something under his grubby coat. He pulled the item out. “ Wow that’s the sword of Ocelot the great Goblin King.
   “ I know, I’m good aren’t I. Hinchpin replied smugly. “What are you doing around these parts then, it’s a dangerous area around here. Wolfgar's henchmen are everywhere.” Hinchpin asked inquisitively.
   “We’re on a quest to save the elf princess.” Lippin answered.
   “Oh Ralencia you mean” Hinchpin replied enthusiastically.
   “ She’s so beautiful” Hinchpin sighed.
   “Will you help us save her?” Lippin enquired.
   “ Okay, but I want some of the reward money for rescuing her.
   “Deal.” Lippin replied joyfully. They shook hands and with that a great friendship was formed.


















Chapter 7: Getting Help

   “We better try and rescue Ralencia tonight” Lippin said. “ They won’t expect us to return”
   “You’re right, we better herd up some helpers. We won’t be able to beat the whole of Wolfgar's guards. Not with only two people.” Hinchpin replied.
   “There’s three of us though” Lippin laughed.
   “Yeah, but your friend over there isn't going to be much use is he,” said Hinchpin.
   “I guess your right, but we need to take him. I need to get him to drink from the Sacred Cup,” said Lippin commandingly. “We’d better recruit some people. Follow me.” said Hinchpin. Hinchpin walked out of the door and got on a small pony. “ There's your one over there,” Hinchpin said, pointing to a beautiful black horse. They both mounted their horses and rode to a little hamlet. “ This is where I used to live,” said Hinchpin happily. He stopped outside a big hut, and dismounted. “Wait out here” he ordered to Lippin.
Hinchpin walked inside. Lippin waited and waited but eventually curiosity got the better of him. He walked in and gasped. Hinchpin was on the floor moaning. Lippin ran up to Hinchpin and asked him if he was all right. “ Of course I am” Hinchpin replied huffily. “ This is one of our traditions, whenever someone brings a non dwarf to the group he has to fight the great warrior dwarf to prove his worthiness”
   “Oh sorry, I thought you we're hurt.” Answered Lippin. Hinchpin got up, “ they’ve agreed to help us, but they want a share of the reward money as well” replied Hinchpin.
   “ Okay, they can have my share, I don’t really care about the money. Said Lippin in an exhausted voice.
   “ Follow me, Hinchpin said. Hinchpin led them to this small door at the back of the hall. They walked in and Lippin gasped. They we're in a huge armoury. Pick some armour and a weapon but nothing else Hinchpin ordered. Lippin looked around. There were so many weapons. He looked up at the wall. He saw a sword he liked, he reached up and grabbed the sword. The sword was very old looking and had the words
‘ Heredin’ on the handle. He expected the sword to be heavy but it felt as light as air. He also chose some nice looking armour. “ We’d better eat something” Hinchpin called.
“Okay, when is dinner,” Lippin replied hungrily. Hinchpin showed Lippin into a big banquet hall. There was a massive oak table in the middle. There must have been a hundred dwarfs sitting at it. Lippin and Hinchpin sat down at the table. When all the dwarves we're seated an old looking dwarf stood up. “That’s our chief Litherain” Hinchpin said proudly.
The old dwarf started to speak “ Welcome once again to the tri-weekly feast. As you may already know we have a visitor,” the old dwarf said pointing to Lippin. “I want you to make him feel welcome. Also he has requested our help in rescuing the young elf princess Ralencia. We will leave as soon as night falls. Some of you will die, but remember there is honour in dying for a good cause. Anyway, you're probably all hungry, I know I am. So lets get started”. The dwarfs began to clap their hands and all sorts of aromatic dishes started appearing. “Just clap your hands and think of a food and it will appear” Hinchpin told Lippin.
Lippin clapped his hands and wished for a whole roasted gobldegoop. There was a small bang and a roasted gobldegoop appeared.
After all the dwarves had eaten and drank till their stomachs we're content, they all went to sleep. Lippin stayed up thinking about Ralencia. He wondered whether she was as beautiful as everyone had said. As night began to creep in Lippin woke up Hinchpin. “We better leave soon,” he said.
“Okay I’ll go wake the others.” Hinchpin replied sleepily. “ Go put on your amour and meet me outside.” Hinchpin ordered.
Lippin put on his armour, he expected that to be as heavy, but it to weighed no more than a feather. It was only when he picked up the helmet that he saw the same word as on the sword. Lippin wondered who or what Heredin was. He grabbed his sword and marched outside. He was surprised to see Hinchpin and all the other dwarfs ready so quickly. “ How did you get out here so quickly?” Lippin asked puzzled. Hinchpin grinned and replied “ Dwarf Secrets”. Lippin mounted his horse and led the dwarves on the long journey to Wolfgar's castle. They travelled past villages torn apart by Wolfgar's cruelty. They saw towns that he’d burned and bodies of the people he had murdered. This only further enraged the dwarves hatred of Wolfgar. Even Lippin who was usually a gentle person could feel the anger boiling up inside him. Finally they got to Wolfgar's castle.
They would have to rescue the princess now or it might be to late.






Chapter 8: The Final Battle

Lippin got off his horse he didn’t know where his bravery had come from but he started to speak to the dwarves “ Whether you want to fight or whether you don’t want to fight, we have been forced to fight. We need to fight for our freedom. We cannot let our oppressors win. Promise me that you will fight till the very end, that you will never giver up no matter what. When you begin to lose hope remember what Wolfgar has done to your family and friends and swear to avenge their deaths. I will give any of you the opportunity to leave now and you can leave here with no shame on your backs. But I wish for you all to fight to the very last drop of strength has been sapped out of your body.” The dwarves nodded their respect and gathered their weapons. “The time is now,” they all shouted in unison. Lippin rushed to the drawbridge and hit the gate with his sword. The sword cut through the metal as if it was nothing. The dwarves and Lippin rushed through and attacked the guards. “We're under attack!” yelled one guard before he was cut down. Wolfgar's guards entered the courtyard and a great battle ensued. Lippin grabbed Hinchpin and shouted “follow me”. They sneaked past the guards and entered the castle. They saw a heavily guarded room and they guessed the princess was there. Lippin and Hinchpin charged at the guards and slaughtered every last one of them. Lippin cut through the bar holding the door shut and rushed in. Inside the room they saw a side door but standing in their way was Wolfgar. “Get the princess,” cried Hinchpin. “I’ll try and hold him of”. Hinchpin and Wolfgar began to dual. Lippin rushed to the door and kicked it open. He ran in but standing in his way was the Garakus. This time it had grown even bigger though. Lippin tried to get past Garakus but the Garakus swung his tail. Lippin ducked under and hid behind a pillar. “Go for his eye” the sword said suddenly. “ His eyes are his weakness” the sword whispered. Lippin ran out and thought about his friend Quillin. He brought the sword down hard onto Garakus’s head. “ My eyes, what have you done you insolent Latiran.” The Garakus cried. The Garakus squirmed around, writhing in pain. A thick black liquid was oozing from the gaping hole left by Lippin’s sword.
    “This is for Quillin” Lippin said angrily as he brought the sword down hard on Garakus’s neck. The sword cut straight through his neck and then all was still. Lippin rushed over to Ralencia. She was even more beautiful than he’d imagined. Her eyes we're prettier than a thousand stars and her smile could light up the whole of Moon Bay. Suddenly he heard Hinchpins wail. Lippin cut Ralencias chains and rushed back. Hinchpin was rolling around on the floor screaming in pain. There was blood all over the floor and the was a large gash in Hinchpin stomach. Wolfgar was smirking; he wiped the blood of his sword with his cloak. “Don’t worry Lippin” Wolfgar cried. “Your next”.
   
“ I’m not scared of you, I will avenge all the people you have killed.” Lippin shouted bravely. Lippin rushed at Wolfgar. But Wolfgar side-stepped him and slashed his arm.
Lippin felt a searing pain in his left arm. His arm felt like a red-hot poker had been rolled along his arm.
Blood was pouring from Lippin’s arm like a red waterfall.
“How do you like my custom made fire sword” Wolfgar laughed. Lippin charged again. This time his sword made contact with Wolfgar leg. “Ahhh my leg, you’re going to pay for this.” Wolfgar cried. Lippin was gaining momentum though and was soon getting the upper hand. Lippin swung his sword as hard he could, it collided with Wolfgar's sword. Wolfgar cried as his sword shattered into thousands of pieces. “Please don’t kill me, have mercy” Wolfgar pleaded. Lippin felt a tinge of pity for Wolfgar and held out his hand. But Wolfgar grabbed a dagger from his boot and slashed Lippin’s hand. “I should never have trusted you Wolfgar,” said Lippin angrily.
   “You can kill me if you wish, but there is always going to be someone like me ready to kill for the sake of power. You may think you have won the battle, but really I have won in the long term”. Said Wolfgar sadistically. Before Lippin could stop him Wolfgar took the dagger he was holding and plunged it deep into his own small heart. It has been told by many that you could hear Wolfgar’s screams from the Four Corners of middle earth. And as Wolfgar slumped to the floor Lippin knew it was finally over.




Lippin ran over to Ralencia. “ We have to get Hinchpin to a doctor otherwise he’ll certainly die. Lippin picked up Hinchpin and beckoned Ralencia to follow him. He ran down the corridor looking for the exit.
He looked through one door and saw a small glimpse of gold. It was the sacred cup. It was beautiful it had hundreds of diamonds embedded into it. He looked at the base of the cup and saw that it to had the words ‘Heredin’ on it. Lippin picked it up and wondering whom Heredin could be put in his coat pocket. Then he picked up Hinchpin and ran to the exit. The dwarves had beaten the guards although there were heavy casualties from both sides. Lippin ran to the chief dwarf Litherain who sprinkled some dust onto Hinchpin. Hinchpin’s wound began to disappear. Lippin sighed with relief Hinchpin was going to be all right. Lippin suddenly remembered Quillin. “Where are you going?” asked the dwarves.
   “I’ve just got to do something” Lippin replied. Lippin mounted his horse and rode like the wind to the big oak tree. He rushed in and filled the cup with water. Then he gave it to Quillin. Quillin took a big slurp and the insanity flowing through his veins went as quickly as it had come. “Hi Lippin, what are we doing here? Where’s the Garakus.” Quillin asked inquiringly.
   “The Garakus is dead. We’ve completed our quest, I defeated Wolfgar.” Lippin replied excitedly.
   “ Oh drat, I miss all the exciting bits.” Quillin replied annoyed. Lippin grabbed Quillin and hugged him, after all it was good to have him back.

Chapter 9: A Heroes Welcome

Lippin and Quillin left early the next day. They each had presents from the dwarves. Lippin had his sword and armour, and also the Sacred Cup. Whilst Quillin had a new pony and as much food as he could carry.
Lippin had said goodbye to all of them and promised he would see them soon. He also promised to go see Ralencia and her father some time as well.
They travelled for days and days and at last they reached Moon Bay. By that time word of their heroic battle and the fall of the evil Wolfgar had even reached there. They entered the village, but not to the hero’s welcome they expected but to deathly silence. Lippin and Quillin walked to the Chiefs hut and looked in.
But behind them was a big bang.

   “WELCOME HOME” the villagers all shouted.

   “Oh my little flumpkin, it’s so good to see you.”
Lippin rushed up to his mum and hugged her. He was so glad to be back home.

   “ We want to hear all about how you and Quillin defeated Wolfgar,” The villagers shouted in unison.
Lippin sighed. He was very tired but he and Quillin began a lengthy story of how they defeated Wolfgar.
Lippin just had one other thing on his mind. He got out the sword and armour and showed it to the chief of the Latirans. “ My dear boy, do you know whose sword you’re holding.” “No” said Lippin curiously. “Your holding the first ever chief of this camps sword. Noratio Heredin, he was a great leader. He got killed in the great battle of Gradius by some fearsome goblins. Why it must have been over ten thousand years ago, in the first stages of time, you know”.
   “That’s why the sword spoke to me, because I'm a fellow Latiran warrior” Lippin realised.
   “I also have something else to show you”, he pulled out the cup and showed it to the chief.
   “My boy, you’ve done it again, this cup is a piece of heritage which we thought had been lost forever.
It gives the drinker the power of invincibility, but only for a temporary time.” Heredin used to drink from it before he went into battle. Said the chief ecstatically.
    “How did he die then?” asked Lippin.
    “A cruel twist of fate my boy, just a week before the battle, the cup was stolen by the goblins. But being a brave Latiran he decided to fight them anyway. But without his cup he was no match for the mighty goblins and alas he was cut down.” Said the chief sadly.
   “Anyway getting back to the happy news, I think this calls for a feast of the highest proportions,” shouted the chief. They all went inside and began to eat. Lippin could never have been happier than he was at that very moment.

A couple of weeks later Lippin was outside doing some gardening when a note floated down from the sky.
Lippin picked it up and started to read it. This is what is said.

‘Hello my dear friend Lippin,

I am in grave danger and need your help. Ocelot the great goblin king has caught me and he has sentenced me to death for stealing his sword. I know I can count on you my friend and please hurry. Go to the well of knowledge to find out more. Please remember I’m counting on you.

Your friend forever Hinchpin,’

Lippin stared at the letter in disbelief. He couldn’t believe Hinchpin had been caught. He knew however that he wouldn’t let Hinchpin die, and vowed to save his life.

But that my friends is a different story.

The End

 

 

Copyright © 2002 Francis James Chudley
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"