A Strawberry Short Story
Terence Boydon

 

1 – A New Strawberry

Rrring!!!

Augustine’s alarm clock goes off, waking him up. He lets a loud yawn. “It’s still early. I guess I’ll close my eyes for five more minutes.”

The sunlight tapped his eyelids, passing through the window. Yawning again, he struggles to his feet. “Hmmm, what time is it--?” Augustine wondered, looking at his alarm clock. “Oh, shoot! At this rate, I’m going to be late. I need to be in school within five minutes!!!” Grunting, he blamed himself and his alarm clock, and at the same time started preparing for the first time of his sophomore year in high school, while wishing he could change outfits in the blink of an eye… in a public phone booth.

“Oh, yea! I remember someone telling me that we’ll be having a new classmate. He’s probably a transfer student.” Augustine wondered on the way to school. He then looked at the time. “Oh no! I’m already ten minutes late!!!”



2 – A Late Strawberry

By the time Augustine reached school, he was already twenty minutes late. When he got to the corridor, it took him five more minutes to find his classroom. When he finally got there, he knocked on the door and opened it. His attention was quickly drawn to the teacher whom he accidentally disturbed. “Good morning, sorry I’m late!” Augustine said in an ashamed tone. “You are already twenty five minutes late… and on your first day!” The teacher replied, eliciting laughter from the class. “You may take your seat over there at the back.” The teacher said, pointing to an unoccupied chair next to an unfamiliar face. That must be the new student. Augustine thought.

Augustine took his seat and looked at his new classmate and smiled at her. “So… you’re our new classmate?” She nodded. “My name’s Augustine.” Augustine introduced himself. The girl smiled “Uhm, I’m Marciene…” She replied shyly. The two seemed to run out of words to say and just smiled at each other.



3 – A Modest Strawberry

Rrring!!!

The school bell rang, announcing the students’ much awaited break time. “Marciene…” Augustine said. “Want to eat together?” Marciene smiled. “Sure!” She replied with a very dazzling smile.

The two spent the entire day together, enjoying each other’s company. By the end of the day, as the students prepared to go home, Augustine looked at Marciene. “Hmmm, uhm, Marciene?” Marciene turned around. “Yes?” Augustine scratched his left ear. “How do you usually get home?” Marciene looked at her watch “I walk towards the second street from our school gate and I take a ride home there.” She said. “Oh, I see.” Augustine replied. “And you?” Marciene asked. “Well, I usually walk up to the fourth street right across the school gate and take a ride home there.” Augustine explained. “Oh, I see…” Marciene replied.

Augustine thought of something “How about we walk together there?” Marciene smiled radiantly “That’s nice. Let’s go!”



4 – A Soaked Strawberry

Upon reaching their destination, Marciene thanked Augustine. “Thank you, Augustine.” She blurted out shyly. Augustine wondered “Huh, what for?” Marciene replied in a shyer tone “For walking me here.” Augustine blushed “It’s nothing! I walk down this path too anyway.” Marciene looked at her feet “But still. Thanks a lot.” She insisted. Augustine felt his face getting hot. “Well, if you really do insist… you’re welcome!” He answered jokingly. The two then gave off a hearty laughter. After some time, their classmates started teasing them together, but they chose to ignore it.

One dark afternoon, the school bell rang, signifying the end of classes followed by a heavy downpour. “Hmmm, do you have an umbrella?” Augustine asked. “Oh no! I decided to leave it at home today!!! What bad timing!!!” Marciene pouted. “It’s okay, it’s not like the rain’s going to be pouring forever!” Augustine jested, making Marciene laugh.

Twenty minutes passed and the rain hasn’t stopped nor weakened. “I have an idea!” Augustine brightly said. “Let’s hear it then.” Marciene acknowledged in a jokingly manner. “You can see the shed on the first street, right? It’s not that far, actually.” Marciene’s eyes widened. “Are you saying that--?” Marciene interrupted. “Yes! We are going to make a run for it.” Augustine nodded. “Hmmm, well, it’s not a bad idea at all!” Marciene agreed with a wink.

“Well, shall we?” Augustine suggested “We shall!” Marciene giggled. “On my count…” Augustine instructed. “I got it!” Marciene approved.

“One, two…” Augustine held Marciene’s hand “…three!!!” The two rushed from the school gate towards the shed on the first street. The sound of their feet splashing on puddles together with the sound of falling rain was the only sound left to be heard.

The two reached the shed drenched. They laughed at each other while catching their breaths out of exhaustion from running.

“Look!” Marciene exclaimed pointed to the sky. “The rain stopped. The sun’s starting to show… such timing!!!” Marciene giggled. Augustine smiled back and intertwined his fingers with hers; he never let go the whole time, she just acted as if she didn’t notice their hands that held each other and left it that way. The two then started walking towards the second street while doing what they usually do – chatting.



5 – A Blooming Strawberry

It then became a habit that Augustine would hold Marciene’s hand which gave their classmates more reason to tease them.

One afternoon, as the two were going home and nearing the second street, Marciene let go and said “Well, I’ll be going. See you tomorrow, take care!” Augustine replied. “Well, see you tomorrow, too. Take care!” As he turned to leave, a voice came from somewhere. “Marciene!”. Marciene recognized the voice and the two looked at the direction where the voice was coming from. “It’s Marciela, my older sister. She’s working now.” Marciene told Augustine. “Oh, I see. She looks just like you.” Augustine said.

Marciela reached them and asked Marciene “You’re heading home? Let’s go together.” Marciene then introduced Augustine to her older sister. “Sis, this is Augustine. He’s my classmate in my new school.” Augustine bashfully responded. “It’s a pleasure to meet you!” Marciela answered. “Nice meeting you, too!” Marciene then said. “Well, I guess we’d better get going. Take care, Augustine!” Augustine smiled. “Take care, too!” The sisters took a ride while Augustine continued walking towards the fourth street.



6 – An Unfortunate Strawberry

One rainy afternoon, after class, Augustine and Marciene were gathering their things preparing to go home. “Let’s go home together?” Marciene offered. “Well, but…” Augustine stuttered. Marciene winked at him. “I know what you’re thinking. Don’t worry, I brought my umbrella today. We can share.” She said in a cheerful voice. “Well, I’m sorry we have to share. I don’t bring umbrellas, I don’t like bringing one.” Augustine added. “It’s okay. Actually, I’ve figured it way back then that’s why I always bring an umbrella so when something like this happens, none of us gets drenched in the rain again!” She stressed followed by a very merry laughter by the two.

Marciene and Augustine reached the first shed, where they took a stop. “Marciene…” Augustine said quietly. “Yes?” Marciene responded softly. Augustine took a deep breath. “The rain, every time it falls, I remember that time, the first time I held your hand, and when we first ran through the rain together.” Augustine said gently. Marciene grew silent and stared at the ground where the droplets fell. “I do not want to recite this like some speech, but I don’t know how to put these into words, either.” Augustine continued, he took another deep breath. “So let me say this to you.” Augustine paused, again, took a longer deep breath. “Marciene…” Augustine looked into her eyes. “I love you.”

A momentary silence filled the air. Nothing can be heard except the sound of the rain covering the throbbing of their hearts.

“Augustine…” Marciene broke the silence. “You are a very good person. You’ve always been there for me. You’ve done so many things for me. I appreciate them… everything… everything that you’ve done for me.” Marciene paused. “But, I’m sorry. I don’t think this will work out.” Even before Augustine could utter a word, Marciene let go of their hands and said. ”If you understand what I mean, you won’t say another word.” Marciene looked at her feet then uttered. “Please, Augustine. Please go.” Augustine tried to speak. “Mar--” But was interrupted. “Please, Augustine.” Coincidentally, the rain stopped.

Augustine who could no longer do anything, left Marciene and walked away. Augustine was not able to neither hear nor see Marciene’s sobs and tears as they trickled from her eyes, across her cheeks, down to her chin, dropping to the ground.

A couple of minutes later, Marciene was alone in the shed. The sun started to reveal itself from behind the gloomy clouds. As the rays started to penetrate the clouds and hit the concrete ground, Marciene started to wipe away her tears. With eyes still red and teary, Marciene started walking towards the second street. As she was walking, a speeding car came out from nowhere. A shriek was heard followed by a violent creaking of wheels. A loud thump ended the chain of sounds.

Night came. Augustine was lying in his bed thinking over and over about what happened that afternoon when was jolted from his reverie by the ringing of his phone. Wearily, he trudged towards the hall to answer it. “Hello?” Augustine answered in a depressed tone. “Augustine? Is this Augustine?” replied the unknown but familiar female voice. “Yes, this is Augustine. May I know who’s on the line?” Augustine asked. “This is Marciela, Marciene’s sister! Do you remember me?” Marciela said in a worried voice. “Yes, I remember you. You seem to be worried, what’s the problem?” Augustine asked in a curious tone. “Marciene! She met an accident this afternoon! She got hit by a car!!!”

“What!?” Augustine was so surprised. The news of the accident made his heart feel as if it was being torn in to a million pieces.



7 – A Patient Strawberry

“I’m making this call from the hospital. I believe that you should know about this. Though, don’t worry too much, the doctor said that her injuries are minor, it shouldn’t make us worry. But her head absorbed the most force of the impact. She’s still sleeping and hasn’t woken up yet. The doctor said that she might wake up anytime later up to tomorrow.” Marciela explained. “Thank you for telling me. I’ll be on my way there.” Augustine replied. “It’s already late!!! And besides, she’s sleeping.” Marciela tried to stop Augustine. “But… I want to see her…” Augustine insisted. “Okay, I understand. Take care on your way here, okay?” Marciela stressed. “Okay, got it. Thank you.” Augustine hung up then made his way to the hospital.

“How is she?” Augustine asked. “She’s okay, she’s just resting. She’s been asleep for quite some time now.” Marciela answered sitting beside a sleeping Marciene. Marciela continued with a change in tone. “Why did this have to happen to her?” Marciela was almost in tears. “I know how you feel. But just as you’ve said, she’s okay, we don’t need to worry.” Augustine tried to comfort Marciela. “You’re right. The only good fact I know from this is that this happened on a semestral break. At least, I won’t be worrying about her missing school.” She tried to set herself at ease, too. Augustine remembered what happened that afternoon and became silent for a moment.

“I’ll stay for a while.” Augustine told her. Augustine stayed for almost an hour but was instructed by Marciela to go home because it was getting late.

The next day, Augustine got up early in order to get to the hospital early, too. When he got there, Marciela stopped from the door and said. “Augustine…” Marciela bit her lip. “She’s got amnesia.”

Augustine was shocked by the news but managed to maintain his composure. “I’ve explained to her what happened. The only things that she knows are the accident why she’s in that condition and I am her sister. The doctor told me that her memory loss is temporary though no one’s certain when it’d come back. It’d help if we show and tell her things that could help bring back her memory. But, the doctor stressed that we shouldn’t rush her.” Marciela explained. “Okay, I got it. Thank you for telling me.” Augustine said in a mild tone.

As Marciela and Augustine entered the door, they saw Marciene reclining on the bed, looking outside the windows. “Marciene…” Marciela called her sister. “This is Augustine.” Marciela introduced Augustine. “I think, it’d be better if you’d introduce yourself.” Marciene suggested to Augustine. “I think so, too.” Augustine replied with a smile.



8 – A Caring Strawberry

“Just as your sister said, you can call me Augustine.” Augustine introduced himself to Marciene. Marciene gave him a look. Marciene found the person introducing himself to her extremely familiar, but no memory can reassure her so she didn’t say anything. “We’re classmates…“ Augustine continued. “Now, I’ll be getting the three of us some breakfast. You two continue your chatting. Make sure she catches up.” Marciela said with a wink as she left.

The two were looking at the door where Marciela left. “Uhm, Augustine, right?” Marciene said hesitantly. “Yes?” Augustine looked at Marciene and replied. “Can you tell me more about myself? And about yourself too, tell me anything.” Augustine smiled. “Sure.” Augustine started the story by “You know how we got to know each other? You were a new student then. I was late on the first day and our teacher told me to sit at the vacant seat – beside you.” The two broke into laughter. Augustine continued on telling Marciene stories about them. Augustine decided not to tell Marciene about him holding her hand and most especially what happened during that rainy afternoon when she met the accident.

Afternoon came; the two were still talking to one another as if they’ve known each other since the start of their lives. “Hmmm, Marciene?” Augustine said. “I’ll be going home, I’ve spent most of the day here, they’re going to be looking for me at home.” Marciene tried to smile. “Oh, okay.” she answered, hiding the fact that she wanted him to stay longer. “You’re coming again tomorrow, right?” Marciene asked “Of course.” Augustine assured her with a smile. “Well, see you tomorrow! Take care!” Marciene bid him goodbye. They exchanged smiles. Augustine nodded at Marciela, she then offered to walk him outside the hospital.



9 – A Recovering Strawberry

Augustine, just as he said, came back the next day. Again, he told Marciene stories. Later in the afternoon, he even toured her around the hospital pushing her wheelchair.

When they returned to the room, the attending doctor came with good news. “Ms. Marciene, you are showing very good signs of recovery. And because of that, you will be discharged tomorrow after lunch. About your memory, it will gradually come back to you. Patience is the key. Well then, I’ll be seeing you again tomorrow before you check out. Until then, rest well.” The doctor left. Marciene became overjoyed and held Augustine’s hand. Augustine wanted to let go but decided against it. Marciene then felt that it was not the first time she held Augustine’s hand but didn’t want to speculate anymore so she just smiled at Augustine.

Minutes later, Marciela came and announced. “Guys, I brought snacks!!!” After eating, Augustine and Marciene told Marciela about the good news the doctor brought. Marciela then congratulated her sister.

An hour later, as he made his way home, Augustine couldn’t take his mind off of what Marciela had told him. “Thank you, Augustine. My sister would’ve not recovered any faster if it wasn’t for you. Thank you.”

The following day, Augustine came to help Marciene and Marciela prepare for leaving the hospital. Marciela, out of the blue, announced. “Tomorrow, let’s celebrate! Let’s go out and celebrate my sister’s recovery!!!”



10 – A Recalling Strawberry

“Where’s your sister?” Augustine asked. “Well, she told me that her boss called her last night and she’s needed at the office.” Marciene explained. “Well, she told me that we can celebrate with just by ourselves today, anyway. She dropped me off here and headed off.” Marciene continued. “Well, that’s true. So, what are we waiting for? Shall we?” Augustine said in a funny way. “We shall!!!” Marciene giggled. The two spent their day together – ate lots of food and went to several places.

Sunset came and the two were still together. “Hmmm, it’s getting late. How about we go home?” Marciene invited. “Well, you’re right. Let’s go.” Augustine agreed. They were walking on the street when a speeding car seemed to have come out from nowhere. Augustine, in a quick reflex action, grabbed Marciene and stepped back pulling the both of them out of danger. The car didn’t seem to care that it didn’t even slow down and after few seconds it was out of sight.

“Darn that car!!!” Augustine said angrily. “Thank goodness, we’re safe!” Augustine continued in a grateful voice though the anger can still be heard from his tone. Augustine then looked at Marciene and asked her how she was. “Marciene, are you okay?” Augustine asked. “I’m okay.” Marciene replied in a stammering manner. “I… I want to sit down first.” Marciene continued in a shaky voice. Augustine saw a bench nearby and told Marciene to take a seat there.

On the bench, both of them felt relaxed. They realized that they were tired the whole day and it would be a great help if they sat down for a while.

“Augustine…” Marciene poke Augustine’s name in a mild but still shaking voice. “Yes Marciene?” Augustine responded. “I want to tell you something.” Marciene answered in a less shaky voice. “What is it?” Augustine asked. Marciene took one long deep breath and said “I remember everything now.”



11 – A Reconciling Strawberry

Augustine was shocked but kept silent. He felt that it’d be the best to keep his mouth shut and that he’d be listening to everything Marciene had to say.

“I remember everything. From the day I met you until the day the accident occurred – when and how I lost my memory. Everything, I remember everything now.” Marciene said then took a deep breath.

“When you first visited me in the hospital, I knew that you’re not just someone I know. When you introduced yourself as my classmate, I knew that you’re not just a simple classmate to me I was really glad that you visited me everyday during my stay in the hospital. Honestly, that time, my mind was preventing me but my heart was assuring me that you’re someone not just dear to me, but very significant also.” Marciene took another deep breath and held Augustine’s hand.

“I remember the first rainy afternoon we were together. You held my hand back then. And I left it that way…” Marciene intertwined her fingers with Augustine’s. “...because I like you. You’re more than just a simple friend to me. When the doctor told us that I’d be going out of the hospital, I held your hand out of joy and it felt as if it was not the first time I held your hand.”

Taking another deep breath, Marciene looked Augustine in the eyes. Tightened her grip as if never wanting to let go and confessed. “I love you.” Marciene paused for a second and tightened her grip even more. “I love you, too.”

“But--” Augustine tried to interrupt but Marciene pressed her finger on his lip. “I know what you’re going to say. You’re going to tell me that I turned you down that time, right?” Marciene confirmed. Augustine simply nodded.

Marciene explained “Believe me when I tell you this, I am afraid of losing you.” Marciene sighed. “But I was also afraid of commitments. That time, I thought that committing to you would rob me of the opportunities I dreamed of.” Tears started to form in her eyes. “Yes, when you left that day, I was crying that time because I knew I made the wrong decision.” Tears began to fall. “I hastily chose to be without you when it was the wrong decision to make you leave.”

“I want you to know that I believe that it was a blessing in disguise when you came late on the first day of school. If you arrived earlier, you wouldn’t be sitting next to me, I wouldn’t have had the chance to know you.” Marciene told Augustine.

Augustine tightened his grip and more tears fell from Marciene’s eyes. “I learned that with you, I am at my strongest; with you, I am really happy. I learned it when I was in the hospital, when I still haven’t recovered from losing my memory. When for four days, a person by the name of Augustine always visited me and showed me immeasurable care and concern despite that fact that I turned him down.” Marciene took a momentary silence.

“Do you still love me?” Marciene finally asked.

“Of course, I never stopped loving you.” Augustine replied in a warm voice.

“Marciene, I love you.” Augustine continued.

“I love you, too.” Marciene responded.

Marciene and Augustine leaned closer together and embraced each other tightly.

 

 

Copyright © 2008 Terence Boydon
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"