Kaleidoscope Maker
T Bianafka

 

I pulled off the interstate and stopped at a fast food restaurant, wanting a quick bite before I returned to my long drive to the national meeting. Each year the Kaleidoscope Association held a national meeting of members.
There before me was a man and wife, with three little children. The father was talking with the mother about what was being ordered. They could order only two meals, for all. The man said, “We will be about fifteen cents short.” The woman replied,” But dear, we have to eat!” The family looked very famished and ill kept. I am not sure they had eaten well in months.
I searched my pocket for a quarter. I reached down as if to pick up the quarter and then said as I came up, “I think you dropped this out of your pocket.”
Every time, I do this I am reminded of the first time I saw this act of kindness…

I had just arrived near the hotel where the national meeting was held. Stopping in at the restaurant next to the hotel, I waited in line. Before me was a long line, and the line next to me was quite long as well.
At the front of the other line was a family who looked like they had not been able to eat well in months. They were talking about how much money they had and how to divide a couple of meals.
The man behind them pulled a dollar bill out of his pocket, waded it up like the other bills held by the father. He then reached down as if to pick it up. As he stood up, he said, “Sir, I think this dropped out of your pocket.”
The man before looked at him confused.
“I don’t think that is mine.”
“Well, it isn’t mine, so you might as well take it.” Insisted the kind man.
In an embarrassed voice, the father kindly accepted the dollar, “Thank you.”
This left a memory in my mind. One kind act. This charitable man didn’t know the family or their circumstance, yet gave anyway.
I quickly forgot the image as I ate my meal and proceded to the national meeting at the grand hotel next door.
We met as a large group in the conference room on the main floor. Small groups gathered here and there. Some people were standing in line for name tags and information packets. I walked over to line.
The man in front of me turned around and with a very welcoming voice said, “Welcome. Is this your first national meeting?” It was the kind man at the restaurant, just shortly over an hour ago.
“Yes it is.” I said a little shyly.
  “I know you will have a great time. Everyone does.” He said in a cheerful voice.
I didn’t mention his kind act at that time.
The national meeting was overwhelming at first. A large room filled with booths of kaleidoscope makers. At each, the people who created the masterpieces were at attendance. People walked from booth to booth to look at as many as they could. Toward the back I saw the kind man at one.
“Hello!” I said nervously. I looked at his name tag. Carson was his name. Carson James.
“Hello again!” “Have you seen a lot of great scopes?” He asked starting a conversation.
“Yes. I didn’t know how many ways a kaleidoscope could be made.” Continuing the conversation.
“Feel free to look at any here and ask any questions.” He kindly offered his wears for me to look at.
“I do have a question, but not about your scopes, Mr. James.” raising all the courage I could.
“Yes? And call me Carson, please. I think it is friendlier to be called by my first name.”
“Why did you treat that family in the restaurant so kindly?” it came out.
“Oh, that. Do until others as you would have them do unto you.” saying that in answer to my question.
I knew what he meant, but did not get the answer I was expecting. He saw the questioning look on my face.
“I gave to that man, because it was the right thing to do. And who knows, maybe one day I will be in that situation and someone will be kind to me when I need it.” Was this a truly selfish act as he implied?
“How often do you do this, help others?” Wanting to hear the story.
“I try to help someone whenever I can, Scott.” He said that as if it was the way to be, taking my name from my tag. He added no more.
“I thought that was a very kind act. You handled it well, allowing the father to maintain some dignity.” Leaving it at that, I looked at his wonderful kaleidoscopes. I did not buy any and walked off to see the rest of the show.
I spent the rest of the day participating in the activities and looking at the beautiful kaleidoscopes. There was a lot to see and do.
The entire group had dinner together in a big room. Tables were placed throughout the room with a buffet setting in the middle. Carson was one of the last people to be seated. He was placed at the table next to me. Many at his table acted as if he was not known. Was he a new member, or were these people new attendees? They introduced themselves. At that time, one of the other artists came over to his table.
“Carson, thanks for letting us use your table clothe. It matched the scopes very well.” As she proceded over to another table filled with other noted kaleidoscope makers.
The national meeting continued into another day and at closing I stopped by the showroom floor to say bye to a few people I met during the show. There was Carson, helping people move boxes and packing up. He still had packing to do himself.
“Carson, I just wanted to say goodbye.” As I made my way toward him.
“Will you be at the next national meeting?” Carson asked politely.
“I don’t know.” And I didn’t know. This national meeting was costly to attend for so many reasons.
“I will see you then, if you can make it, but if not, feel free to contact me. Happy Rainbow of Colors.” With that odd farewell, he gave me his card.
I was glad to be on my way home, but I also missed the people I met at the national meeting. Most of all, I remembered the kind act Carson performed for another at the restaurant.

I attended more national meetings over the years, as my collection, or should I say addiction, of kaleidoscopes increased. I had special cabinets made to show my kaleidoscopes. And each filled very quickly.
At each national meeting, I still saw the kind acts of Carson. But I also saw an increasing negative response to him as well. I could not explain it. He kept being ignored by others. His location at the shows kept getting worse. Was this his choice? I rarely heard his name mentioned. His name was seldom in any of the media by the association, except when all makers where mentioned. He still tried to provide help and support to everyone.
Some of the kaleidoscope makers said it would be helpful to have a list of the dealers, and the dealers thought such a list would be helpful as well. Carson sought approval of the list and received information from various people. He included some helpful information as well and tried to include a few artists not well represented by dealers. Few openly expressed criticism of it, but there were those who did not want to participate. No mention of the list was made in any of the association’s media, as if it was not an approved activity.
Spending a lot of time and money on it, he presented it at the next national meeting. They were snapped up. Yet some thought it was a negative act toward the Association.
The national meeting ended like most. And I returned to my normal life upon return to home.
I decided to give Carson a call about his kaleidoscopes and the dealer list about a week after the meeting.
“Carson, how did the nationals go for you?” asking in general.
“Not so well. I sold very few kaleidoscopes. It must have been a bad year. I was also not in a very good location again.” There was clear sadness on his face.
“What about the dealers list?” getting to the point.
“All of them are gone, but it was not well liked by the president of the association. He felt it was a violation of the rules and told me never to do it again. I cannot say any more.” hearing disappoint in Carson’s voice.
I could not understand this. Why would the president of the association approve the list and then disapprove it? I forgot about it after a short time.
The next national meeting went the way of the others. Again, Carson was located in a worse location. More negative actions were taken on him. You could see his happiness decrease each year. But that was soon to be explained
The following year, just before registration fees were to be turned in, Carson was no longer a member. He had been kicked out. Since it was an association, nothing could be done. I called him, but he did not feel like talking. He would no longer be attending the national meetings and we would not be seeing his works of art at the national meeting.
He was never given an explaination for the denial of membership. Few would converse with him. I dared not ask out loud about what happened. But soon the answer would be given to me.
I overheard a discussion at the next national meeting. I do not think the conversants knew I was there within hearing distance.
“You know he was creating competition for the Association.” The blonde headed lady stated as a fact.
“What he did was make negative comments about the Association, which made us all look bad.” I recognized this man as one of the top kaleidoscope makers. “This is a great, positive organization and doesn’t need such rotten people participating.”
“I am sorry, but the truth is the president didn’t like him. You are both right and wrong. The dealer list was percieved to be competition. He didn’t do anything but tried to help and all of it was taken wrong. But we can’t fix it. What the president says goes.” The dark haired lady commented. She should know because she was a permanent member of the membership committee.
“We have to keep quiet about this or we will be next. No more discussion about Carson or anything he has done. We all have got so much to loose.” It was then the conversation changed to the next location of the national meeting.
I felt so sorry for Carson. He was out only because he followed the motto “do unto others as you would have then do unto you.” His helpfulness was taken as an attack against the Association. But this was not to be the last of his story.
During the next few years, many tried to discredit him, make fun of him, and use him as an excuse for all the negative acts within the association. I know because I was asked to participate. I could not decline because it would mean I would no longer be a member. I would be kicked out and thus could not get my “fix” of kaleidoscopes. I am sure he would understand. It takes a strong person to stand up to what is wrong and unjust.
It has been many years now. He is probably doing just fine still making kaleidoscopes or doing something else better. I know he would understand…

I held the quarter in my hand as I stood up. There looking me in the eyes was Carson! The years had taken their toll on him.
“Carson?” I said it almost in disbelief and already knowing the answer.
“I am sorry but that is not mine,” he stated staring at the quarter as if it were worth so much more. He did not hear me say his name, as his children were complaining about wanting to eat.
“This is not my quarter, so it has to be yours” I continued with the line.
He then looked at me, with both pain and pleasure, and with understanding and recognition and said, “Thank you Scott.”
He went ahead and ordered, and as his family left for their seat, he turned to me and asked, “How are you doing.”
Embarrassed by the situation of HIM asking ME how I am doing, I could only reply, “Well.”
“Good! Do you still collect kaleidoscopes?” asking as though he was truly interested in me.
“Yes.” I stated, wondering if I should ask him anything at all or the next question in my mind, “do you still make kaleidoscopes?”
“No. I had to give that up. I lost all my sales and had to take another job.” He was sad and I knew he didn’t want to continue this line.
“I wish you the best and I think your family is waiting for you to join them.” I said this with a smile and trying to give him a way out. I knew he didn’t have a job now.
With as much joy as he could fine he said, “I wish you all the best and a Happy Rainbow of Colors to you.” The words the association members would say to each other as they left until they met again at the next national meeting. I knew he meant something much different.
As I left, I walked past their table and overheard his wife say something about him trying for another job, somewhere else.
It does take great strength to do what it right.

 

 

Copyright © 2002 T Bianafka
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"