Rapture - The Beginning Of The End.
Darrin Reay

 

Rapture
"The beginning of the end"
TEASER
FADE IN:
DARKNESS.
STEPHANIE (V.O.)
I remember a time when the world was filled with happiness. When everybody would come together as one and act like just one big family. There was no suffering and there was no pain. There was no nothing. There was a time when i would never hurt nobody. That was until they killed my boy and after that.. Well after that everything changed.
LAUGHTER can be slightly heard. The DARKNESS turns into the night sky. Stars shining in the moonlit sky.
The camera pans around and we are-
EXT. FIELD - NIGHT
On an empty field. A young couple come into view. A man and woman around 19-20 years of age. They begin to cuddle and kiss each-other.
The man lays down on his back. The woman does the same and they both wrap their arms around one another. Rain begins to slowly pour from the sky.
Suddenly, a loud noise can be heard coming from the distance. Getting closer and closer and closer. The young couple stare up the sky, wondering. Frightened. They just about notice it. An F-16 FIGHTER JET flies pas their heads.
CUT TO:
EXT. FLYING - CONTINUOUS
The F-16 is flying through the sky. Going over the tops of buildings and mountains. Then we are-
INT. F-16 - CONTINUOUS
Inside of the F-16. There is one man flying it.
This is -
BRAVO.
BRAVO
Headquarters, this is Bravo. I am five minutes away from the target. Arming the bomb now.
BRAVO presses down on one of the buttons inside of the cockpit. The button has a name on it. �ATOM�. After BRAVO presses down on the button, lights begin flashing all around the FIGHTER JET and the sound of an alarm goes off. BRAVO pushes down on the button again. The lights go off and the alarm stops.
A mechanical clunk is heard. A bomb behind him starts to slowly lower down but it stops as it reaches the doors beneath it.
HEADQUARTERS (O.S.)
Copy that, Bravo. Standby for further orders.
CUT TO:
INT. HEADQUARTERS - CONTINUOUS
We are inside HEADQUARTERS. There is one man sat at a bunch of controls and monitors.
This is-
CAPTAIN OWENS, 47.
A light begins to flash on one of the monitors in the room. On the screen, two words flash on and off.
�BOMB ARMED�
Another man enters the room.
This is-
THE GENERAL.
GENERAL
Captain, where are we on Operation Wipeout?
CAPTAIN
Bravo is five minutes away from the target. The bomb has been armed and we are just awaiting your orders, sir.
The GENERAL takes a seat next to the CAPTAIN. He places a communication unit inside of his ear.
GENERAL
Bravo, this is the General speaking. Let me know when the target is in sight.
BRAVO (O.S.)
Cop that, General.
CUT TO:
EXT. FLYING - CONTINUOUS
We are soaring through the sky again. This time we are over the ocean. An island comes into view. It starts getting closer and closer. Large waves beneath the FIGHTER JET start to form as we get nearer the island.
CUT TO:
INT. F-16 - CONTINUOUS
We are back inside the F-16.
BRAVO
General, this is Bravo. I have the target in sight. ETA is one minute.
GENERAL (O.S.)
Copy that, Bravo. Once you are over the target, release the Atom Bomb.
CUT TO:
EXT. FLYING - CONTINUOUS
We are just about over the top of the island. Smoke rises high and there is a large blazing fire. Then we fly over the top of the island.
CUT BACK TO:
INT. F-16 - CONTINUOUS
Inside of the F-16. BRAVO pushes down on the ATOM button. The lights and the alarms go off again and the doors that are beneath the bomb open up. The bomb lowers down a little but more...
The bomb is then released. It begins to fall rapidly down towards the burning island.
EXT. FALLING - CONTINUOUS
The bomb is falling towards the ground. It is just about to hit when we-
FADE TO BLACK:
END OF TEASER.
ACT 1.
�FIVE HOURS EARLIER�
EXT. FOREST - NIGHT
It is dark. It is cold. It is stormy. Rain lashes down onto the ground. Heavy winds sweep through the land. They blow through the tall, the scary looking, the old looking trees right in the heart of the island.
A castle can be seen in the distance. Old. Run down. Its windows are smashed. Its rocks are crumbling. Its large wooden doors are full of cracks.
Then the silhouette of a person comes into view. Walking slowly and cautiously.
We zoom in to reveal a women.
This is-
STEPHANIE SMITH, 29.
STEPHANIE has a flashlight in her hand. Walking through the dark forest. Alone. Afraid. The sound of animals that lurk in the trees cause her to jump.
After a small walk through the forest. A cabin comes into view. Wooden. New. STEPHANIE walks towards it.
CUT TO:
INT. CABIN - CONTINUOUS
STEPHANIE enters the cabin;
Inside it is empty. Apart from one wooden table that sits in the centre of the room. STEPHANIE walks over to it and she places her flashlight down. She takes off her jacket and places it over the back of the wooden chair that is also there.
Little moans. Cries of pain. They can be heard coming from another room in the cabin. It catches STEPHANIE� attention. She then walks on over towards the door.
Before entering the room, STEPHANIE closes her eyes. She sighs.
INT. BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS
Inside of the room there is just one bed. Asleep on the bed is a boy. Young. Blonde haired.
This is-
HENRY SMITH, 9.
STEPHANIE walks on over towards the bed. HENRY continues to let out more cries of pain as he tosses and turns in his sleep.
Kneeling down beside him, STEPHANIE attempts to wake him up. Tapping him on his shoulder.
STEPHANIE
Henry, wake up my boy.
HENRY does not wake up. STEPHANIE attempts to wake him up again.
STEPHANIE (CONT�D)
Come on, wake up.
HENRY then opens up his eyes. Slowly. He looks towards his mother who is smiling at him.
STEPHANIE (CONT�D)
Hey there baby, how are you feeling?
HENRY
(sitting up)
I feel bad, i feel so bad mammy.
STEPHANIE grabs HENRYS hands. She squeezes them. Tightly.
STEPHANIE
Well i have some good news for you. Do you know why i really brought you to this island? There is this man named Charles. Him and his brother have developed a drug. A drug that they say can cure you. They say that it will be able to make you all better.
HENRY looks scared. Terrified. He pulls his blanket over his head.
HENRY
(sobbing)
No mammy no! Please, no more drugs mammy!
STEPHANIE quickly sits on the side of the bed. Pulls down the blanket and wraps her arms around him.
STEPHANIE
What�s wrong baby? This drug could cure the horrible disease that you have!
HENRY
I am so scared!
STEPHANIE cuddles him again. Even tighter.
STEPHANIE
Do you want me to tell you something that my father, your grandfather told me?
HENRY nods his head.
STEPHANIE (CONT�D)
I used to be scared, well i used to be terrified of the dark. I could not go to sleep at night unless there was some sort of lighting in my room. I guess it was because i believed that monsters lurked in the darkness. One day, my father sat me down and he said to me �Stephanie, i know that you are afraid. It is okay to be afraid but you can not let your fear define you. You can not let it take over you. You must go to your room and turn out the lights and face the darkness because if you can face what you are afraid of, you can beat it. We can beat it�.
(beat)
I want you to tae my fathers advice and i want you to face your fear and face whatever life may throw at you because in the end, in the end everything will be okay. Promise me?
HENRYS sad face turns into a little smile. He cuddles his mother tightly.
STEPHANIE (CONT�D)
I want you to say it, say i promise.
HENRY
I promise mammy!
STEPHANIE
That�s my son!
Rising from the bed. STEPHANIE helps HENRY stand to his feet. The both walk out of the bedroom.
INT. CABIN - CONTINUOUS
STEPHANIE and HENRY enter the main room of the cabin. A strange noise and shadow from outside the window catches STEPHANIE� attention.
As she checks it out, there is nothing there. Just the dark forest and heavy rain.
Then suddenly, loud banging can be heard at the door. STEPHANIE freezes. Fear in her eyes. She stares to HENRY who looks terrified.
There is a loud bang again.
STEPHANIE panics. But then a voice can be heard from outside.
The voice is-
CHARLES, 30.
CHARLES
Stephanie! It�s Charles. Open this god damn door will you?
STEPHANIE laughs. Relief on her face. She walks over to open the door.
As she slowly opens the door, it flies open and STEPHANIE falls straight to the ground. CHARLES barged through the door.
HENRY in fear stumbles back. Hides behind the wooden table.
CHARLES is a black haired, smartly dressed man. He is carrying two leather briefcases. The letter �D� is engraved in one and the letters �AD� in the other. STEPHANIE stands to her feet. Walks over to CHARLES. Pushes him against the wall.
STEPHANIE
What is your problem dude?
CHARLES
Calm down. You took ages to open up the door. It�s brass fucking monkeys out there.
Walking over to the wooden table, CHARLES places down both of his leather briefcases and he notices HENRY hiding behind the table.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
Hey kiddo. No need to be afraid.
HENRY stands up.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
You ready for this?
There is silence. HENRY stares at his mother. Stares back at CHARLES. He gives an unconvincing nod. CHARLES however goes along with it.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
(to Stephanie)
Open up the briefcase that i have just brought with me, the one with D on it. Take the syringe out too.
STEPHANIE walks over to the table. Opens up the leather briefcase with the D on. Inside of it, there is a silver vial. The word �DUMENZA� are engraved onto it.
STEPHANIE
Dumenza? What the hell does that mean? Isn�t that a place somewhere?
CHARLES
Yes Stephanie, well done. It is a place but however it is my brothers and myself second name and we named the drug after that.
The vial has the tony letters SD and CD engraved at the top of it.
STEPHANIE
What exactly does this drug do? I know it cures people but how exactly?
CHARLES
Well first we add a tiny sample of the Anti-Dumenza into the bloodstream and wait a few minutes for it to reach the heart. Once Henry begins to get a cold sweat we inject the Dumenza into his heart. The Dumenza is designed to keep the heart pumping, organs healthy and the brain alive.
STEPHANIE
So what you are saying, if my son takes this, his heart disease will be cured straight away?
CHARLES
That is what we are hoping for, yes.
 STEPHANIE looks directly at CHARLES as he finishes that sentence.
STEPHANIE
Wait what? That is what you are hoping? Charles this is my sons life, this is not something you can mess around with! Does it work or doesn�t it work? What if something happens? What if his body reacts against it?
CHARLES
Stephanie, you need to seriously calm down mate. This drug hasn�t been tested and we do not know if it works but my boss and i are certain that it is going to work. Have a little bit of faith. And if his body reacts against it, we inject more of the Anti-Dumenza. It will wipe out the trace of drug from his body. Now pass over the Dumenza and then get the Anti-Dumenza from the briefcase you brought.
STEPHANIE takes out this vial of Dumenza from the briefcase. She passes it to CHARLES. Underneath it there is a syringe.
STEPHANIE
Is this the syringe you want?
CHARLES
(sighs)
Yes Steph. That is the syringe i want. It is the only fucking syringe there!
STEPHANIE slams the briefcase shut - Angry - Annoyed. She walks over to CHARLES.
STEPHANIE
Listen to me you obnoxious little shit, never speak to me like that in front of my son. EVER! I will end you, you hear me? I will end you.
CHARLES
(laughing)
You couldn�t end a fly. Hand over the syringe and the other vial will you.
She opens up the briefcase again - takes out the syringe - passes it to CHARLES.
Then she opens the other briefcase and inside is another silver vial with the words �ANTI-DUMENZA� engraved onto it. She passes that over to CHARLES too.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
Right, come here Henry and hold out your arm.
HENRY walks over and holds his arm out for CHARLES.
CHARLES, secretly adds an unknown substance into the Anti-Dumenza.
CHARLES inserts the needle into HENRYS arm. Fascinated as an egg like shape forms in the syringe. CHARLES pushes down and injects him with the liquid.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
We just have nothing to do but wait for the cold sweats.
END OF ACT 1.
ACT 2.
CUT TO:
INT. CASTLE - THRONE ROOM - CONTINUOUS
We are inside the THRONE ROOM. The walls are covered with paintings. Golden cases are all around the room. A large, golden throne sits in the middle of the room.
On the throne is a man dressed in a black robe. Hooded. We can�t see his face.
This is-
SALAZAR.
Two MILITIA enter the room. Walk up the man.
MILITIA #1
They have arrived sir. They are ready.
The man speaks. His voice is deep. Scary.
SALAZAR
Good. Charles should be back with the drug. Start to prep them for conversion and i will be down there shortly.
The two MILITIA leave the room.
Behind SALAZAR, there is a large machine. A glass tube sits in the middle of it and five small rubber tubes come off of it. Leading into the ground below him.
SALAZAR stands up. Walks towards two large double doors and opens it up. We are now-
EXT. BALCONY - CONTINUOUS
On the balcony of the castle. Rain continues to pour down heavily. We are overlooking the entire island. A large forest. A village. A lake.
SALAZAR (V.O.)
Pretty soon we will have perfected the drug. The entire world will become mine and i will eradicate anybody who tries to stop me. The time of the Umbra has arrived.
We zoom down from the balcony. Into the dark forest, onto the cabin and we are-
INT. CABIN - CONTINUOUS
Back inside of the cabin.
HENRY is beginning to have cold sweats.
CHARLES
It is time for the Dumenza.
(to HENRY)
This injection will have to be inserted directly into your heart Henry. The stuff that i have just gave you will be inside your heart now so you will not feel any pain.
HENRY lays down on his back. Crying. He pulls up his T-shirt. CHARLES takes out a pen, draws an X where is heart is.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
Right, here it goes.
CHARLES forces the syringe directly into HENRYS heart. He screams out in agony. STEPHANIE holds him down to stop the shaking.
After a lot of screaming and pain, HENRY stops. Everything goes quiet. Then HENRY stands up and appears to be getting much better.
HENRY
(excited)
Mammy, i think it is working. I feel much, much better!
In excitement, STEPHANIE hugs HENRY. Then kisses CHARLES.
STEPHANIE
Thank-you so much Charles. You are my life saver.
HENRY
And mine. Literally!
After a lot of hugging and celebration. HENRY drops to the floor. Unconscious. Then begins to shake uncontrollably.
STEPHANIE
(scared)
What the.. HENRY!
STEPHANIE drops to the floor. Holding HENRY in her arms.
STEPHANIE (CONT�D)
Quick Charles. Pass over the Anti-Dumenza. This stuff is killing him!
She does not get a reply. CHARLES laughs. He picks up the briefcases and puts the vials back into them. He places the briefcases next to the door.
CHARLES
Did you really think that i was going to let you leave here alive? You were both nothing but two test dummies, we needed to see if the drug works and you were stupid enough to let me try. Time for you to go visit your husband.
A gun is pulled from CHARLES� trousers. He points it at STEPHANIE.
STEPHANIE
(frightened, angry)
What the hell have you done?
CHARLES
I have turned him. He will become like us. A monster. An animal. An immortal shadow walker. An Umbra. Once the drug has taken full effect on Henry, he will become a slave to the powerful Salazar Dumenza.
HENRYS eyes start to go bloodshot.
STEPHANIE
(crying)
I am going to stop you, Charles. I am going to kill you! I will not let my son become a monster!
CHARLES sighs and looks at HENRY.
CHARLES
Have it your way then.
He points the gun at HENRY, pulls the trigger. Bang - He�s dead.
STEPHANIE
(screams)
NOOOOO!
STEPHANIE bursts down into tears. Picks up an empty glass from the floor and throws it straight off of CHARLES. Causing him to stumble back.
She then races towards him. Knocks the gun from his hands. Gets on top of CHARLES and repeatedly punches him in the face until he is knocked out.
STEPHANIE stands up. Walks over to her sons dead body.
FADE TO BLACK:
END OF ACT 2.
ACT 3.
CUT TO:
INT. HEADQUARTERS - NIGHT
In the HEADQUARTERS. A meeting is going on. The GENERAL is stood at the front of the room while five other GENERALS are listening to him.
GENERAL
We have reports that a small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean is being used as a terrorist paradise. A woman and her child were bugged as they took a plane over to it. Unfortunately we have lost contact. I will play for you now the last recording we have of them.
GENERAL takes out a recorder. He presses play.
CHARLES (V.O.)
He will become like us. A monster. An animal. An immortal shadow walker. An Umbra. Once the drug has taken full effect on Henry, he will become a slave to the powerful Salazar Dumenza.
GENERAL puts the recorder away after clicking stop.
GENERAL
That was the last we heard. Now we must come to a decision. What are we going to do about the island? There are over one hundred villagers there and we can�t risk sending troops over. What do you suggest we do?
There is a lot of shouting.
GENERAL #2
Torch it!
GENERAL #3
Bomb it!
Everybody freezes and turns to GENERAL #3. Shocked. But then they all agree.
GENERAL #3 (CONT�D)
We still have that Atom Bomb in the security cell downstairs.
GENERAL
Well then that is that. We bomb Rapture.
CUT TO:
EXT. FOREST - NIGHT
STEPHANIE is running through the forest. CHARLES is chasing her. She has both of the briefcases in her hands.
CHARLES
(screaming)
You can�t escape from here Stephanie! There is no way off of this island. The last plane left hours ago!
He takes out a gun. Shoots at STEPHANIE but he misses all five times.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
Fuck. One bullet left!
CHARLES aims down the gun and he pulls the trigger. He misses but he hits one of the briefcases and STEPHANIE lets go of it.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
Please be the Dumenza.
CHARLES opens up the briefcase. It is the ANTI-DUMENZA.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
FUCK!!!!
He carries on chasing her.
STEPHANIE has arrived at a village. There is a sign at the entrance that reads-
�WELCOME TO RAPTURE, THE SHADOW OF THE DARKNESS�
She runs inside the village.
INT. VILLAGE - CONTINUOUS
The village is empty. There is nothing there apart from a couple of tools on the ground and houses. There is an armory at the bottom of the village but it is too far away. STEPHANIE runs into the house to her right.
INT. HOUSE - CONTINUOUS
STEPHANIE
(to herself)
Why is this happening to me?
EXT. VILLAGE - CONTINUOUS
CHARLES enters the village. He looks around but he can not see STEPHANIE. He closes his eyes. Everything goes silent. Heavy breathing can be heard.
CHARLES
(laughing)
Got ya!
CHARLES runs to the house that STEPHANIE is in but it is locked.
CHARLES (CONT�D)
Why you hiding for Stephanie? You know there isn�t any escape for you. Come out of here and face the inevitable.
He gets no reply. He begins to get angry. Kicking the door. Kicking the walls until he runs over to a barn opposite the house and picks up a large, deadly tool. A CHAIN SAW.
INT. HOUSE - CONTINUOUS
STEPHANIE looks through a gap in the door and notices CHARLES running at the house with the chain saw.
STEPHANIE
Oh my..
(beat)
Need to get out of here!
(beat)
Right, window to my right? Nope, he will see me. Window behind me? Maybe, maybe, maybe.
STEPHANIE quickly turns around to the window behind her but there is no way of escaping from there.
STEPHANIE (CONT�D)
(laughing nervously)
Maybe upstairs.
She quickly runs upstairs. There are two windows. One in front of her and one to her right.
STEPHANIE (CONT�D)
There is my escape!
The window to her right. It leads to a lower part of the roof and to a back alley.
A loud noise from downstairs is heard. The chain saw cutting through the door.
CHARLES (O.C.)
(mimics Scar face)
Come say hello to my little friend!
STEPHANIE opens up the window and she climbs on to the lower part of the roof but then - bang!!
The roof collapses and STEPHANIE falls down and we are-
INT. SECRET TUNNEL - CONTINUOUS
In a secret tunnel underneath the village. STEPHANIE manages to get herself to her feet. She is in pain. Holding her ribs.
There are arrows on the walls.
One points right and says �CASTLE� and the other points left and says �DOCKS�.
She heads towards the docks.
INT. HOUSE - CONTINUOUS
CHARLES runs up the stairs with the chain saw. He notices the collapsed roof and begins laughing.

CHARLES
I know exactly where she is heading!

He runs down the stairs.

INT. SECRET TUNNEL - CONTINUOUS
STEPHANIE carries on walking through the tunnels. Looking at walls incase there are directions.
On the wall infront of her there are marking.
�TWO HUNDRED STEPS AND YOU ARE IN THE CLEAR, FORTY STEPS AND - BOOM�
Despite the odd markings. STEPHANIE ignores it and carries on walking.
Ten steps. She doesn�t seem bothered by the markings.
Twenty steps. She slows down a little bit more.
Thirty steps. She keeps checking where she is walking.
Thirty-nine steps. She is stood in the spot. Scared.
STEPHANIE slowly takes one more step. Being as careful as ever with the briefcase in her hand.
As she puts her weight on the foot. BANG!
Explosions beginning happening further back in the tunnels.
STEPHANIE runs for her life.
CUT TO:
EXT. FLYING - CONTINUOUS
The F-16 is flying through the sky. Going over the tops of buildings and mountains.
CUT BACK TO:
INT. SECRET TUNNEL - CONTINUOUS
STEPHANIE can see an entrance ahead of her. She desperately makes a run as the explosions are getting nearer and nearer to her.
As she is about to escape one last explosion causes her to fly forward. Out the tunnels and onto the docks.
She stands up. Runs for the water but there is no transportation there.
Behind her, CHARLES comes into view.
CHARLES
I told you that you were not going to escape this island. Hand over the briefcase and become one of us. Become and Umbra and help us take over the Earth.
STEPHANIE
I would rather die. You are evil.
CHARLES
That is fine by me.
Smoke behind CHARLES rises and the village sets on fire.
Just as CHARLES is about to run towards STEPHANIE he is stopped by a loud noise. He looks up.
It is the F-16 FIGHTER JET.
The bomb begins to fall. STEPHANIE and CHARLES are confused as to what it is.
It hits the ground. BANG!
The ATOM BOMB detonates.
STEPHANIE is flown back into the sea with the briefcase and CHARLES is disintegrated.
The mushroom shaped cloud rises high. Everything on the island is destroyed.
CUT TO:
EXT. SEA - DAY
There is an object floating in the sea. Heading towards a beach. There appears to be a party on the beach.
We zoom in on the object to reveal - THE LEATHER BRIEFCASE.
FADE OUT:
END OF ACT 3.
END OF SHOW.

 

 

Copyright © 2012 Darrin Reay
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"