Everthing In Its Wrong!
Roberto J Moreno

 

Black
Scene I

Scene: Adam & Amanda in bed.

Adam: (Alarm clock goes off)
 Narration “Do you ever feel like you wake up to the same dream? Your entire life can be summed up by one picture or a frame.”
Fade In: You have to get up.

Amanda: Why? I just want to stay here and lay naked next to you.

Adam: My mother is coming soon. I don’t want her to catch us in bed together.

Amanda: Why? It’s not that if she doesn’t know.

Adam: What she knows and sees are two totally different things.

Amanda: I hate this. Why do you have to keep the fact that we have sex a secret?

Adam: Why do we always have to go through this? Just get up and get dressed.

Amanda: (Mad) “Whatever!”
(She throws the sheets off and we zoom in to fade to black.)
























Scene II

Fade in from black.
Alarm clock goes off.

4 years Later

Amanda and Adam in bed.

Adam: Narration “Do you ever feel like you wake up to the same dream? Your life can be summed up in a blur.”
You have to get up.

Amanda: I don’t want to.

Adam: Why do we always have to go through this? Just get up and get dressed.

Amanda: You make me feel like a whore. Like you are just fucking me and as soon as you cum you want me out.

Adam: Narration “Why do women find it necessary to play the victim or the less fortunate? It pisses me off that every time she spends the morning over it feels like Groundhog Day.”
It’s not that, just get the fuck up, please. My mom is about to get home. (Gets up off bed and walks towards the bathroom.)



















Scene III

Fade in from black.

Phone Rings.

Next Day

Phone Operator: This is your wake up call. It is 6:30 am.

Amanda and Adam in bed.

Adam: Narration “Do things ever change?” Get up! I have to take you to the airport. Come on you have to get up.

Amanda: I don’t want to.

Adam: Why do we always have to go through this? Just get up and get dressed. You’re going to miss your flight.

Amanda: I just want to stay here.

Adam: (Gets up from bed) Lets go!























Scene IV

Adam is on his desk at work reading his emails.

Time flashes on the screen. 9:30am

Adam: Reads an email from Amanda.

Narration with Amanda’s Voice:
 It’s always sad to state things through a letter. I think it will be a good idea to maybe break things ups. Unless you come with me. Then I’d know you really love me. Then again, by the time you read this letter I’ll be gone. A year is a year and time and distance is a great force. We are two individuals and expect growth and knowledge and nothing less. I think this will be a great opportunity to explore individuality. If it’s meant to be then it is. Once again, I hope you don’t feel to blame or blame me for the outcome of this trip.

Adam: Great! This is all I need.



























Scene V

Adam is having lunch with his friend Ernesto

Ernesto: Come on, you can’t blame her for wanting to explore its full effect. Mind you, she’s also under another area code.

Adam: Funny!

Ernesto: I went through the same thing. I told Hege, remember the Norwegian girl, to date whom ever she wanted until I got there. It got to the point that when I went there to visit her, she was already attached. I regretted the fact that she had someone.

Adam: See…

Ernesto: Wait, but I can’t blame her for living life. I’ve always been a supporter of living life to the fullest. Don’t let her have any regrets and then blame you for her like of experimentation. What’s lived in Spain, stays in Spain. A year is a long time. It’s long enough to cause people to change their life’s philosophy and outlook on life.

Adam: A valid point. I just don’t want to let her go.

Ernesto: We all fall into a safety net at times. If you wanted too, you could have left everything here to be with her, but you didn’t. That also says something. Mind you, I’m not blaming me you. However, you didn’t take that leap of faith.

Adam: (Stares at Ernesto)
















Scene VI

Adam is at the office.

Adam is working. Phone rings.

Adam: (Picks up the phone) Oh! Hi mom, how are you?... … What’s wrong?... …
Oh! Wow! At what time? … … Are you ok?... … Ok, I’ll be right over. Is that Dad there too?... … OK. Give me 30 minutes to get there.





































Act II Scene I

At The Hospital.

Jose: (aggressively) Well I think he deserves to see her!

Adam: What’s going on?

Jose: I think my brother should be able to see his ex-wife.

Adam: Why? You give me a good reason why he should. He divorced her 5 years ago. Right when things were getting bad so he wouldn’t have to deal with it.

Jose: So? He still was married to her for 50 years.

Adam: Rather years he treated her as a slave. She bared his children and had to tolerate his infidelities. She kept her end, through sickness and in health. However, Luis didn’t end up to his part of the deal. As soon as she was sick we had to endure the pain. The late nights at the hospital, the doctor appointment, seeing her in pain, the relentless suffering she had to endure.

Jose: So? He has a right.

Adam: Don’t you dare come here and act all righteous. Don’t you dare. Luis was a prick, sorry is a prick and he deserves no pity from us. He abandoned her to live his life with another. It isn’t her fault she’s dead. Now he misses her, well good. I hope she haunts his ass.
Jose: Who the fuck do you think you are talking to?

Adam: I’m talking to the same guy that stood by his brother when my grandmother was going through hell. Yet, he failed to do anything for her. So don’t even think about. If he or come walk into that room or come with in 30 feet of her I’ll have you arrested and I will press full charges.













Act II Scene II

In his grandmother’s hospital room.

Adam’s Father: Can you belief those assholes?

Adam: Some people have little shame.

Father: You should talk to you mother. She seems to be taking this a bit hard. You are the only one who ever gets through to her. It’s funny. I’ve been married to her for 30 years and she doesn’t even listen to me.

Adam: I’ll talk to her.

Father: How are you holding up?

Adam: What do you mean? She’s dead I’m sad.

Father: I didn’t mean about this. I mean about Amanda leaving and school.

Adam: What can one do? I can’t just leave responsibility and I couldn’t leave abuela alone.

Father: Well, that’s no longer on excuse. Responsibility is based on priorities. You are only responsibility for your actions and those who depend on you.

Adam: Can we talk about this another time. Don’t really think it’s appropriate. (Get’s up and walks into the room)



Fade black














Act II Scene III

Sound of a door knock.
Fade in with a zoom at a house door.

Adam: Hey!

Jose: Come on in.

Adam: I really didn’t have anywhere to go.

Jose: It’s cool. Don’t worry about. Nice to know I’m the one you count on in times of desperation.

(They both laugh)

Adam: No problem. Just figured I needed a voice of reason.

Jose: Why?

Adam: I just need someone to reassure me life isn’t this fucked up. First, I don’t get accepted to film school, then Amanda leaves, and just hours after that my grandmother dies.

Jose: Sorry to hear. (Hugs him) No one said life in easy. Drinking your problems away will not help.

Adam: I know. It helps temporarily misplace them. I can’t handle it. My future has been postponed by the rejection. The only person I could count on is gone and the one person I truly trusted has just died.

Jose: The thing about life is that the actions you take and choose is what shapes you. Fuck USF! If they can’t appreciate you then it’s their loss. You have to learn to deal with rejection. You can’t please everyone, not even yourself at times. Being happy is a state of mind. You have to rest assured that what ever life’s thrown at you is for a reason. The way you handle it is what defines you as a person.

Adam: It’s easier said than done.

Jose: (Places his thumbs together) You know what this is?

Adam: What?

Jose: The world smallest violin and its…
Adam: Fuck You!

Jose: Look I love you! But don’t expect me to sugar coat life. Life is what it is. You need to know what your priorities in life are. What will make Adam happy? Screw it if it’s against the norms and fuck anyone who gets in your way.








































Act II Scene IV

Collages of images. Adam growing up with his grandmother.
Adam with his first camera filming his grandmother and vacations.
Adam is with Amanda. Prom pictures. Pictures of them having fun.









































Act III Scene I

Black
Date And time: May 11, 2004
Announcer: Boarding Flight 321 Miami, Florida to Madrid Spain.

Adam: (Stepping off the airplane in Madrid’s airport.Then picking up his luggage. Up in a television set breaking news about a train crash that has occurred.)
Reporter: (In Spanish) Esto es una noticia de emergencia. Hoy a vido una explosion en el metro. Causando sobre 1000 erridos y el estimado de 150 muertos. La policia esta investigando el quienes son responsables por el intento. Algunos oficiales y figures political estan diciendo que fue un atento por ETA. No seria la primera vez… (fades out)

Adam: Walks out of the airport and hails a taxi.

Black.

The End.

 

 

Copyright © 2004 Roberto J Moreno
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"