Stonemaiden (1)
Victoria King

 

FADE IN:

SCENE

1. EXT./NIGHT

The full August moon fills the frame. PULL BACK SLOWLY to reveal an expanse of open sea, eerily calm, the moon reflected almost perfectly on the water's surface. Suddenly, exactly at the point where the moon's reflection rests the surface of the water begins to boil with the sleek, writhing bodies of hundreds of sea snakes...


2. INT./AM, BEDROOM

MELINA, 30's, not a "classic" beauty but with a sultry quality, awakens abruptly from a troubled sleep. As she rubs her hands over her face she is startled once again as the alarm clock shrieks. She grabs it, throws it on the bed and holds a pillow over it as if trying to smother the offending appliance...


3. INT./AM, A MODERN MEDICAL OFFICE COMPLEX

EST. the decor is very "New Age", lots of glass and pastels, above
the reception desk reads INSTITUTE FOR PSYCHOLOGICAL AND PARAPSYCHOLOGICAL RESEARCH...

The elevator opens and MELINA, dressed in an immaculate and somewhat austere suit, emerges followed by GWEN and other members of the staff. MELINA greets the receptionist and takes her mail as does GWEN in turn and we follow the two women down the corridor...

MELINA
I can't understand what it is about that particular image which is so disturbing...

GWEN
Well obviously there is a lot more to it but you are blocking, have you tried hypnosis?

MELINA
Are you kidding, with my caseload I just don't
have the time.

GWEN
Ah but I thought time was just an illusion we create to limit
our own potential.

MELINA
laughs)
What "genius" came up with that bit of bull?

GWEN
I'm afraid you did love, last month when I told
you I didn't have time for therapy after "what's
his name" walked out...

MELINA
Oh God that was me wasn't it... what a bore!
I plead temporary insanity.

GWEN
Call it what you like but it worked.

MELINA
O.K., O.K. point taken, I'll work it in somehow...

MELINA opens a door and enters an office, GWEN continues down the hall...


4. INT./MELINA�S OFFICES

LORI, her secretary greets HER as she enters...

MELINA
Make me a happy woman and tell me this is a
  LIGHT DAY
             

LORI
Actually it isn't so bad, your first session isn't
until 11:00.

MELINA
I won't bother to ask when the last one is... Thanks Lori.

SHE passes Lori's desk and we follow her into her private office.
 The furnishings are unusually stark, lacking that "feminine" personal touch
which most women give their workspace. MELINA settles into her high
backed, black leather chair and begins to sort her mail. She stops on
one envelope, no return address and no postmark, her name handwritten.
SHE opens it slowly.

CU, it is a formally printed invitation:
SOJOURNER TRAVEL cordially invites you to experience
the luxury of Greek hospitality. You have been selected to receive an all expense paid trip for one week at the DIONYSIOUS RESORT on the fabulous island of Kiara.
You won't even need to bring your tooth brush, your only obligation is to call immediately.

MELINA glances at the invitation skeptically, she sets it aside for a moment but goes back to it thoughtfully...

MELINA
I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask...

SHE dials the number and sits back, gazing out her window, returning her eyes to the invitation when a female VOICE answers...

VOICE
Sojourner Travel may I help you?

MELINA
Yes, good morning, my name is Melina...

VOICE
Ah yes we have been expecting your call.
You probably think it is too good to be true.

MELINA
Aren't most things?

VOICE
I suppose so, however I can assure you that our offer is entirely genuine.

MELINA
Just like that, an all expense paid vacation, you must want something.

VOICE
Actually there is one condition, you must leave this Friday. You see we have had a couple of non refundable cancellations, and rather than have those rooms sit empty this gives us the opportunity to offer specially selected persons, such as yourself the chance to get acquainted with our resorts.


MELINA
So it is actually free? I mean I don't have to buy
anything or join some club?

5. INTERCUT:

CU, only the VOICE'S mouth and the receiver are visible, her lips curl into a subtle smile...

VOICE
No obligations of any kind, only you must decide by 2:00 p.m.

MELINA
And if I don't?

VOICE
Then you forfeit the offer and some other lucky person will be going to Greece in your stead.

MELINA
It seems so terribly spontaneous... I have so little time as it is.

VOICE
Come now, aren't you worth it?

MELINA is silent a moment, she gazes at her appointment book then closes it decisively...

MELINA
Yes I believe I am...
6.
VOICE
(smile broadens)
I am sure you won't be disappointed. I will fax your
itinerary this afternoon... and may I say, congratulations...

PULL BACK following the receiver to it's cradle on a small table next to an old wing back chair. We see the VOICE, slightly out of focus, her face obscured, stand and walk away from the chair.

CAMERA turns toward the open French doors of the old Neo Classical house. A WOMAN stands on the balcony, her back to camera, gazing out at the sea. As the VOICE approaches the other WOMAN holds out her hand, VOICE takes it. From the back the two women are identical...

VOICE
She's coming.

WOMAN
Perfect...
FADE TO:

7. EXT./DAY, A LIBYAN ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE

PROFESSOR KOSTIKYAN, scrutinizes an exposed tablet covered
with an ancient script, scribbling indecipherable notes into a journal. A smile
of accomplishment slowly spreads over his face...

PROF.
At last I've found you...

8. EXT./NIGHT, AT SEA

AERIAL POV, Three good-sized trawlers have gathered in a circle
to pull up a net.

ON BOARD one of the boats, from the whine of the winch it is obvious the net is loaded, the men exchange enthusiastic words from boat to boat until their catch nears the surface and they all become silent...

FISHERMEN'S POV, the net is full of hundreds of writhing sea snakes
of all sizes...

FADE TO:

9. EXT./DAY, AIRPORT

There is a stiff breeze as MELINA struggles to drag her oversized suitcase toward the taxi line. Suddenly a young MAN appears at her side and takes up her bag with a broad smile. As HE loads it into the trunk of a waiting cab MELINA shows the driver the name of her destination, when SHE turns to thank him the young MAN is gone...

10. INT./DAY, MELINA'S ROOM, THE RESORT

The door opens and MELINA enters followed by a BOY of roughly 13 or 14 who insists on dragging her heavy suitcase himself. SHE fumbles in her bag with the local currency and hands the BOY a 5000 drachmae bill. HIS eyes light up as if HE had just won the lottery and HE dashes out the door before SHE might change her mind.
MELINA pulls back the curtains and opens the glass doors that lead to her small balcony. The sea view is stunning, MELINA takes a deep breath exhaling slowly as if to purge her lungs of the stale city air, replacing it with delicious Mediterranean aromas. There is a knock at the door, MELINA turns as ROOM SERVICE, an attractive young fellow in his late teens, enters pushing a cart covered with fresh fruit and chilled champagne...

ROOM SERVICE
Compliments of Sojourner Travel...

MELINA
How thoughtful...

SHE hands him a 5000 bill as she did with the boy, however his reaction
is a bit different. HE looks HER up and down with a sly smile, touching her fingers "meaningfully" as he accepts the tip. HE stands there expectantly, MELINA is a
bit taken aback, not sure how to read his strange behavior...

MELINA
I'm sorry, isn't that enough?

SHE reaches for her bag but HE touches her gently...

ROOM SERVICE
Perhaps Madam would like some special attention?

MELINA
Madam... Oh! Gee that is very nice of you to offer, but
I'm a little tired from my flight, the champagne is probably
all the excitement I can stand.

ROOM SERVICE
(gives her hand a lingering kiss)
If Madam should change her mind just ask for VanGo.

MELINA
(closing the door after him)
 I'll remember that, VanGo.

She can't help but laugh...
 
11. INT./EVE., PROFESSOR'S TRAILER

The PROFESSOR sits at a small table in his cramped and cluttered mobile home, a gas lamp gives off pale, cold light. HE reads over his decipherment once more then picks up an English language newspaper the headline reads:

"MARINE BIOLOGISTS BAFFLED BY SEA SNAKE PHENOMENA"

PROF.
(thoughtful)
Kiara...

12. EXT./EVE., POOL SIDE BAR

MELINA toys with the tiny umbrella in her drink, deep in thought. A SNAG (Sensitive New Age Guy) tentatively approaches her table...

SNAG
Excuse me,
(she looks up suddenly)
I don't want to bother you...

MEL
So why do I have the feeling that you will.

SNAG
I just couldn't help noticing that your aura
is full of turbulence.

MEL
Ladies and gentlemen fasten your seat belts please...

SNAG
Come on, you know I'm serious.

MEL
How do you know I know.

SNAG
I can see the signs, after all only a total moron would
use that as a pick up line.

MEL
I guess I have met more than my fair share of morons,
makes me extra wary. Well don't just stand there you
might as well sit down.

SNAG
You wouldn't mind?

MEL
(laughs)
I mind everything so don't take it personally.
Just when I'm on vacation I don't like to talk
shop...

The SNAG is thoroughly enchanted...

SNAG
Then we'll talk about what ever you like.

MEL
(seductive smile)
Who says we have to talk at all...

13. EXT./NIGHT, RUINS OF A SECLUDED TEMPLE

Over looking the sea, MELINA and the SNAG lie intertwined amidst the ruins, their naked bodies reflect the pale, blue light of the waxing moon. PULL IN on the moon till it fills the frame.

PULL BACK, WE REPEAT THE OPENING SCENE AGAIN, Melina's dream, but this time SHE doesn't waken. As the sea begins to boil with the
writhing bodies of the sea snakes we can just barely make out muffled, gurgling screams. POV turns to reveal a good sized motor sailor pulling smoothly and silently away, standing at the stern are three little girls who look on in somber silence...

MELINA awakens with a gasp she is trembling. SHE scurries to
gather her clothes mumbling to herself...

MEL
...not an accident... my God... no...

SHE pauses for a moment as if overcome by an especially horrific realization, the SNAG wakes and watches her puzzled...

MEL
...they're here...

SNAG
Who's here?

HE rubs the sleep out of his eyes SHE ignores him. HE looks on as SHE disappears into the shadows.

MEL
(voice trailing off)...
got to be alone... have to think...

14. INT./A.M., MELINA'S ROOM

MELINA sits on the bed staring straight ahead, it is obvious she hasn't slept at all the spread hasn't even been turned down. SHE turns dully when there is a knock at the door...

MEL
What is it?

IT is ROOM SERVICE wearing a bright smile an pushing a coffee cart...

MEL
I haven't ordered...

        ROOM SERVICE
Please madam, it is the least I can offer. (winks)

MEL
(stands stiffly and reaches for her bag)
O. K., I get it...

        ROOM SERVICE
(looks hurt) Oxi, no madam, it's just to make you happy.

MEL
(wry smile)
Thank you, I'm afraid that is not a very easy
 task today...

ROOM SERVICE blows her a kiss and exits...

15. INT./A.M., MOTEL LOBBY

As MELINA emerges from the elevator the lobby is crawling with POLICE. As SHE approaches the reception to leave her key the clerk whispers...

CLERK
Did you hear? One of the guests was murdered
last night.

MEL
Good Lord no, who on earth...
(the CLERK eyes her a moment
then snaps her fingers)
I remember now, I saw you talking to him last
night by the pool, nice looking boy, longish hair...

The color slowly drains from MELINA'S face. She clutches the
counter to fight back dizziness...

CLERK
Are you alright?

MEL
I... I... just need some air.

As SHE stumbles for the main exit SHE nearly collides with JASON, Captain of the local police, as HE enters. They exchange a fleeting glance before MELINA slips away uttering apologies under
her breath.

16. EXT./DAY, HOTEL ENTRANCE

MELINA leans against a low wall and struggles to collect herself.
Suddenly SHE thinks of something and digs frantically in her purse. SHE
inds what she is looking for, extracting the invitation which she had folded
and put in the envelope with her itinerary. Clutching it in her hand she
moves off decisively toward the center of town.

17. INT./DAY, TELEPHONE OFFICE

MELINA is but one of several tourists waiting impatiently to be helped. When her turn comes she is anxious and edgy...

MEL
Will you get me that number please.

The EMPLOYEE gazes at the invitation curiously then tries to
ring it up.

EMP.
That number has been disconnected.

MEL
That's impossible, I just talked to them 4 days ago.

EMP.
I can't tell you when it was disconnected,
just that it is now.

MEL
Maybe it's changed, can you find me a listing for Sojourner Travel.

The EMPLOYEE looks annoyed but does as she is asked...

EMP.
Nothing Miss... Next!

MEL
Wait! An address, can you give me an address
for whoever had that number last?

The EMPLOYEE looks at MELINA with what SHE is sure must be suspicion...

EMP.
Maybe you should go to the Tourist Police if
there is some problem... Next!

MELINA is at a loss, she picks up the invitation and leaves...

18. EXT./DAY, THE CENTRAL SQUARE

MELINA sits in a sidewalk cafe slowly nursing a Gin Tonic.
SHE stares at the invitation, crumples it up and tosses it in the ashtray,
then changes her mind, retrieving and smoothing it out. When SHE
looks up, across the street she sees the YOUNG MAN from the airport
walking. On an impulse she lays out 2.000 drachma on the table and
takes off after him...

19. EXT./DAY, TRAVELING

MELINA follows the elusive YOUNG MAN through the narrow streets.
She is not even sure why she is following him, if he stopped she would have
no idea what to say. He turns a corner and she follows, however just as she
rounds it she collides with an elderly gentleman, PROFESSOR KOSTIKYAN
who emerges from an exchange window, knocking his satchel from his hands. When it hits the ground several papers and a manuscript spill out. An
embarrassed MELINA bends to gather them up, the book momentarily
grabs her attention, the title is "The Revenge of Medusa", SHE is shaken
by it for some inexplicable reason, the PROFESSOR looks at her with concern...

PROF.
Are you alright Miss? I really am sorry, I was merging into traffic, I should have been more cautious...

MEL
(glances up and down the street,
the YOUNG MAN is long gone)
Don't be ridiculous, it's those damn city rhythms, even in paradise I find myself dashing about as if I'm running late
to catch the last tube.

PROF.
True, civilization can become a bit oppressive at times.

MEL
Good Lord where are my manners! Are you alright sir?
 I must have nearly knocked the wind out of you.

PROF.
(smiles)
I may be old but I'm sturdy. Could I possibly interest
you in a cup of tea?

MEL
(uncertain a moment, but his
 kind smile wins her over)
That would be lovely...

20. INT./AFT., COFFEE BAR OVERLOOKING THE SEA

PROF.
...It has been a pet theory of mine for years, but now,
finally I have the proof I needed to publish.

Throughout the course of their conversation MELINA becomes inexplicably more and more uneasy...

MEL
You must be terribly proud.

PROF.
Truth be told, yes I am.

MEL
So have you come to Kiara to celebrate and recharge
your batteries?

PROF.
At my age... Well yes and no. I don't know if you have heard about the sea snake phenomenon?
(she shakes her head, pulling her lips tight)
Ah, it started a little less than a week ago, fishermen began reporting huge masses of sea snakes, eels, smyrna ,however you like to call them, gathering in the sea around Kiara, that's why I'm here, it is written in the legend...

MELINA shudders involuntarily.

PROF. cont.
Oh that was most insensitive of me, perhaps
snakes frighten you.

MEL
Oh no Professor, I think it is just the four Gin Tonic I had for lunch catching up with me.

PROF.
(raises an eyebrow)
Hair of the dog?

MEL
In a sense. Please forgive me Professor but I think I had
better return to my Hotel.

PROF.
By all means don't think a thing of it, thank you
for indulging me.

MEL
Thank you, I hope we will have an opportunity to meet again.

SHE gets up and slips away before the PROFESSOR has managed to stand, he gazes after her a moment intensely then sits down taking out a small note book...

21. EXT./AFT., STREET

LS, we see MELINA asking directions from various shopkeepers, and we follow HER as SHE nears her destination...

22. INT./AFT., POLICE STATION

MELINA tentatively enters and asks to speak to whoever is in charge.
When the door to the inner office opens and JASON emerges there is a spark
of recognition between them. He motions for her to pass into his office...

JASON
What can I do for you Miss...

MEL
Melina Talat, I am sorry for the intrusion
but I think it's important.

JASON
That is what we are here for.

MELINA paces nervously, JASON watches her closely. HE takes out a cigarette and prepares to light it, MELINA stops pacing...

MEL
Could I have one too?

JASON
Of course, I should have asked.

HE offers her the pack and she extracts one awkwardly.

MEL
I don't usually smoke, but considering the story I'm
about to tell some how I think it's appropriate.

HE lights it for her, SHE takes a few self conscious puffs then snubs it out making a face and blushing slightly...

MEL
Bad idea... forgive me, I just don't know where to start.
It has to do with why you were at my Hotel this morning.

HE puts out his cigarette as well and dons his poker face.

JASON
I'm listening.

MEL

 

 

Go to part:2  3  4  5  6  7 

 

 

Copyright © 2000 Victoria King
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"