Star Saga: Swarm Of The Bulgata (1)
Michael Harris

 

"Star Saga: Swarm of the Bulgata"




By Michael Harris





FADE IN:


EXT. BULGATA - EVENING - SUPER - BULGATA HOME WORLD

From high in the sky we see the brown mechanized buildings of the Bulgata planet. Because of pollution, the sky sheds very little to no light.

Again from the sky we can now see a multitude of slaves being led into the FEEDING HOUSE with Myrmidions encamped at regular intervals about them. The Myrmidions have their Tuskan weapons pulled high up along their shoulders (instead of near their arms where they can be used) and are all equipped with rifled stun lasers.


INT. FEEDING HOUSE - CONTINUOUS


Inside, a Myrmidion with a hand held computer terminal begins calling out names, to take stock of the slaves in this sector. He has his laser gun strapped along his thigh and a helmet on his head. The Myrmidion speaks gruffly.


MYRMIDION
GINDRED FALCOS!

An alien man steps away from the bunched together slaves and makes his presence known. He is gray skinned and appears of be of middle age. He heads toward the already assembled line where the meals are being served.


MYRMIDION
ATLA BORGES!

An alien woman steps away from the bunched together slaves and makes her presence known. She is tinted green and also appears to be of middle age. She heads toward the line to be served.


MYRMIDION
WYNN GLYNN!

An alien woman steps away from the bunched together slaves and makes her presence known. She is tinted blue and appears to have not yet entered middle age. In human terms she looks to be in her mid 20s. She heads toward the line to be served like the previous two slaves.

The Myrmidion continues the process of calling out slaves by names and Gindred, Atla, and Wynn, after having been served, situate themselves at a grimy elongated table to feed. They look very much deflated and speak in English. Gindred and Atla sit beside one another and Wynn from across.


ATLA
Another day's work finished, another horrible meal to be eaten.

Atla picks through her food with a look of disgust. Gindred looks on concernedly.


GINDRED
Just make sure you aren't too vocal about it. Otherwise you could be flogged.

ATLA
I thought I'd be used to eating this mess by now, but it hasn't happened as of yet.

Atla picks up with her fork what is a kind of meat. It looks very dry and unappetizing. She looks at it with a tilt of her head and a frown.

Wynn hunches her head over her food and speaks softly to the pair.


WYNN
(continuing)
We should never get to a point when we become used to this kind of treatment. We need to organize, and fight for our freedom.

Gindred twists his head this way and that worriedly.


GINDRED
(continuing)
Shh! Quiet, girl! Do you realize the kind of trouble you'd get yourself into if-

A Myrmidion walks down the aisle way behind Wynn and Gindred quiets himself and makes like he's eating his meal. As he passes, Wynn turns around and sees how close she came to being discovered. She turns back to Gindred.


WYNN
(continuing)
I don't care who hears me. Let the commanding couple themselves hear me. I'd like to force them to eat this rubbish.

She picks through her food with a frown and swallows a piece of meat.


GINDRED
Did any of you hear the latest rumors concerning their newest target? Earth it's called I hear, with its handful of colonies.

ATLA
I've always wondered how you manage it, Gindred? How you pick up on the latest news and goings on of these brazen and barbaric people?

GINDRED
Well, you know I work in the technological wing of BLOCK A, so I overhear a lot of what's going on from those in the know. It seems that the commanding couple was beaten back on a planet called Unisee, handily I might add, by these Earth peoples.

Wynn listens on intently as if a new hope has just presented itself unto her.


GINDRED
(continuing)
Of course, the entirety of the Bulgata forces were not present to lend a hand to the one and only Intimidator warship, so it was a lopsided victory and not really fair when you consider that nugget of news.

Gindred with his fork swirls through some vegetables and begrudgingly eats them.


GINDRED
(continuing)
I imagine that this 'Earth' will fall just like the rest of them.

Wynn hunches over her food again and seems a bit agitated. She speaks in a whisper.


WYNN
(continuing)
Now you just hold on a minute, Gindred Falcos. The fact that Earth was able to stay the hands of the commanding couple should speak to their capability in warfare. I've never heard of the Bulgata losing any battles. We should all hope for the best in this situation, perhaps things will work out in favor of Earth and its colonies.

She looks toward Atla and Gindred with expectancy.


ATLA
Perhaps you're right, Wynn Glynn. But more than likely, we'd be fastening our hopes on those who'd fall short of the mark.

Atla sighs.

ATLA
(continuing)
�If only that benign race of beings, who traveled the galaxy and imparted the wisdom of different worlds and species in eons passed, would return, and see the affliction left on those whom it assisted. They'd surely be a match for the Bulgata.

Atla seems to be in reverie at that thought. Gindred and Wynn think on it for a small time and reinstate the task of eating their meal.


EXT. EXTENDED VIEW OF BULGATA PALACE AND PALACE DISTRICT

The palace is constructed with extravagance and profusion, it is the color of sand and has many domes and spires. It looks like a monument testifying to the discriminating tastes of the commanding couple.


INT. BULGATA PALACE, THRONE ROOM

Fedos and Fedora sit beside one another in the elongated throne room and have pleased looks in their eyes as they watch a bevy of erotically dressed dancers dance in unison for their king and queen. Illzar stands to the right side of Fedos with his arms folded.

After a time the dancers finish their routine and Fedos and Fedora begin to clap their hands, Fedos clapping in longer intervals than his queen. They speak in an alien language but the words they speak appear on screen.


FEDORA
Bravo! Bravo!

The dancers all bow in unison and they begin to disperse. A young child being assisted by a FEMALE AID begins making his way through the dispersed crowd, holding a circular contraption in his hand. He is FEROS, the son of both Fedos and Fedora. Raphsidy enters the throne room as well and begins approaching his king and queen.


FEROS
Father, mother, look what I've learned to do.

Feros holds the circular contraption in his hand and then it begins to move high into the air at an amazing speed and in varied directions.


FEDOS
Wonderful! So, he has begun to manifest THE GIFT? How goes his training?

The aid speaks up.


FEMALE AID
(with a bow)
My lord, my queen, he will be potent with The Gift. I have seen him accomplish things that others began his age and a half. He will be a strong leader of our people when it is time for him to ascend to the throne.

FEDORA
Excellent. Do not restrict his growth, push, and prod, and prime. This is a pivotal juncture of the young one's development. We must ensure that he realizes his full potential.

FEMALE AID
(with a bow)
As you wish, my mistress. Come, young Feros.

The contraption returns to Feros hands. Raphsidy passes by the two and bows on his knee before the commanding couple.


RAPHSIDY
(continuing)
As you have summoned for me, my lord and my mistress, so have I obeyed.

FEDOS
Yes, Raphsidy. As you no doubt have guessed, the time has come. We must not give humanity much opportunity in preparing for us, we must keep them on their heels, and when we strike, it must be with a crippling blow.

RAPHSIDY
(standing)
I have scanned over their remaining colonies most thoroughly and believe that the planet named Dorridion with its Delta Squadron Academy would be a prime target. It is one of the larger of the colonized worlds and possesses perhaps the greatest force of resistance.

Fedora's eyes widen with excitement at this revelation.


FEDORA
(continuing)
Yes, yes. A strong challenge this Dorridion will make for our swarm.

Raphsidy turns away from them.


RAPHSIDY
(continuing)
Did either of you consider the significance that the people of Earth speak one of the ANCIENT TONGUES? It is intriguing to be sure.

FEDOS
That is of no consequence. Whatever the reason behind it, I will have both the people of Earth and Unisee subservient to me.

FEDORA
In case in the off chance of some foreign empire finding our home world and pillaging it, we should leave several armadas stationed here on Bulgata.

RAPHSIDY
(with a bow)
As you wish, my mistress.

FEDOS
Let us also send an attack force toward their Omega Squadron Academy, to give them the impression that we are attempting to wipe it out.

RAPHSIDY
As you wish, my lord. I shall begin the preparations of assembling our forces for the ready.

Raphsidy bows and heads for the exit of the throne room.


EXT. HIGH ORBIT OVER EARTH, OMEGA SQUADRON ACADEMY

Several dropships approach from Earth and head for the great expanse of the ship port, which isn't filled to the brim with fighters. Once inside, hatches fly open and cadets pour out with suitcases trailing them. Iris Grisham is one such cadet. She looks around the interior of the elongated port, as does most of the others, and is greeted by a middle aged white man with a little graying hair. He is ACTING COMMANDER REAGAN.


REGAN
I trust you all have had a good flight.

IRIS
Commander Reagan, where are all the fighters?

REGAN
(looking around)
Most of the cadets were engaged in battle on the newly discovered planet of Unisee, with the alien power.

Most everyone internalizes that bit of news. A MALE CADET speaks up.


MALE CADET
(raising head)
Will we get the chance to see the aliens, commander?

REGAN
At this present time, an opportunity to see the aliens has not introduced itself.

The cadets seem discouraged after that revelation, with drooping shoulders, murmuring, and all.


REGAN
Do not worry. I myself am also a bit anxious to see this alien world. But Czar Shepard has commanded that some cadets remain stationed here, in case of a reprisal. I would imagine that cadets stationed on duty at Unisee can be shuttled here and we can engage in an exchange of sorts. I could probably get Commander Wecker to take my place in that event.

Iris' face droops at the news.


REGAN
(continuing)
Well, you all need to get unpacked. All classes have been cancelled in light of the crisis, so you'll have a lot of free time on your hands.

In light of this revelation, the cadets spirits rise. Some can be seen high fiving others and some proclaiming 'yeah's'. Iris' expression, however, remains unchanged.


EXT. HIGH ORBIT OVER DORRIDION - SUPER - DORRIDION AND DELTA SQUADRON ACADEMY

The Delta Squadron, similar to the Omega Squadron, is a colossal space station that acts as a guard to the blue and vibrant planet of Dorridion.


EXT. DORRIDION, DELTA SQUADRON INITIATES CENTER #1 - MIDDAY

The sun sparkles high in the sky and people walk to and fro outside of the tinted white Delta Squadron Initiates Center. The building is a several tiered connected structure in the center of a wooded area.


INT. TARGET PRACTICE ARENA

Initiates hoping to one day become cadets at the Delta Squadron Academy practice shooting their laser guns at paper thin projectiles which continuously appear, disappear, and reappear before them in a large practice arena. They all wear protective outfits. We watch as two such of these Initiates stand side by side in the individual sectioned off areas. They are twins, brother and sister, the young man being INITIATE SIMON BRIDGES, and the young woman being INITIATE SIMONE BRIDGES.

Simon is brown haired, white, and wiry strong. Simone is also brown haired, and carries a strong female frame. The two look to be in their late teens.

Both Initiates show remarkable aptitude in chasing down the paper thin targets. Just behind those two, stand two men, both wearing regalia befitting of those who have accomplished much in military service. One is COMMANDER ALEX PAILEY HOLTON, commonly referred to as Commander A.P. Holton, the commander of the Delta Squadron Academy, and the other is the head of the Initiate Center, OVERSEER JACK HOFT. Both are white and middle aged. Jack has a blow horn hanging at his side. He raises it up and blasts it, signaling the end of the training session.


JACK
That'll be it for today, youngsters. You may return to your dorms.


Initiates begin to adjust themselves to normalcy. Jack speaks to Holton as he points to Simon and Simone.


JACK
(continuing)
These are the two I was telling you about. Simon! Simone!

SIMON & SIMONE
Yes, sir?

JACK
Come here, close to me. I want you to meet someone.

They place their laser guns in the provided compartments and take off their helmets, wrapping their arms around them.


JACK
This is Commander Alex Pailey Holton, or as he is more commonly referred to, Commander A. P. Holton of the Delta Squadron Academy.

The siblings look relatively shocked and awed.


SIMON
Commander Holton, it is a pleasure to meet you, sir.

Holton shakes hands with the siblings.


SIMONE
Yes, you have no idea how long we have been wanting to join the Academy at Delta Squadron.

COMMANDER HOLTON
I'm sure you two have been looking forward to getting an opportunity to join the Academy for a great while. Just looking at your prowess with the laser gun, I'd say you won't have long before you become full fledged cadets.

Simon and Simone exchange glances and laughs.


JACK
This is not by any means the full extent of their capability. They are very skilled in the martial arts, and they score highly on the field exams. I wouldn't hesitate to turn them over to you this very day, were it not for the alien crisis. As you know, we need every cadet to be as fully trained as possible nowadays.

COMMANDER HOLTON
(in instant reflection)
Yes, there's no doubt about that. With that in mind, however, I will be here for at least another three days, checking up on the progress of our Initiates program. If you two are game perhaps by the end of the term you'll be full fledged cadets and can assist us in quelling this alien threat.

Both siblings are visibly excited.


SIMONE
Oh, Commander Holton, we would be so honored.

SIMON
Yes, since we were children we have wanted to join Delta Squadron.

JACK
You two are admittedly gifted, even before your genes have been altered and attuned for this kind of thing. The sooner you become cadets, the better Delta Squadron will be.

The two Initiates smile to themselves.


COMMANDER HOLTON
Well, we should perhaps be going, should we not, Jack?

JACK
Most certainly, commander.

COMMANDER HOLTON
I'll see you two at the academy in due time. Keep up the magnificence.

Holton winks at them and leaves with Jack. The two siblings smile at one another.


EXT. UNISEE, EXTENDED VIEW OF UNISEEIAN STRUCTURES - MIDDAY

From the sky we see the beautiful and majestic bright blues, pinks and other vibrant colors of Unisee. Some of the buildings are in active repair. Uniseeians, as well as cadets from the Omega Squadron, help to restore the former splendor of the world, some of whom stand on floating platforms.

A cadre of fighters fly overhead in a V shape, seemingly protecting and watching over the people.

On the ground, cadets from the Omega Squadron patrol about, and have laser guns at the ready, and some assist the Uniseeians in rebuilding their paradise. Other cadets go around and from futuristic machinery empty fighter remains from both the Bulgata and Earth Empire into hovering dump trucks.

We see that Langdon and Jesse are two such cadets assisting the Uniseeians in rebuilding their paradise. The two cadets are busy replacing almost plexiglass like material to patch over some of the scarred and ruptured sections of a rising spire. A plethora of Uniseeian females remain encamped about Jesse while Monafia assists Langdon.


JESSE
(to Langdon)
Hey Langly, you know, after all this is over, I certainly wouldn't mind taking a little R and R in a place like this, having a little extended vacation time, if you know what I mean.

Jesse glances from face to face of the Uniseeian females, whose smiles are knowing.


JESSE
(continuing)
Especially when you've got a group like them to keep you company.

He smiles. Langdon seems a bit embarrassed. Monafia puts on a small smile. Monafia follows Langdon onto a rising, floating platform, to repair damage done to the spire on a higher level. They strap themselves in, Langdon presses a switch, and they move upward.


MONAFIA
How long do you think it will be before the Bulgata comes back?

LANGDON
Hard to say, really. It's been just a little over three days. I would have thought they'd rebound quickly and mount another attack. They don't seem to be the type to take defeat well.

They make it to their destination and begin repairing the structure.


MONAFIA
Whose to say that they won't relent their ambition altogether? Perhaps they've met their match.

LANGDON
I doubt they'd give up this easily.

MONAFIA
And yet, as long as I have my prince Langdon protecting my people, with his brave entourage of young warriors, I'm sure they'll never succeed in laying siege to the people of Unisee again.

Langdon smiles, as does Monafia.


LANGDON
Your father has been speaking with Czar Shepard for a very long time. I wonder what they could be discussing.

MONAFIA
Probably the history associated with our respective worlds. There is--I'm sure--much that our leaders can learn from one another.

LANGDON
I myself would be interested in knowing a bit of Uniseeian history. Would you teach me some of it?

MONAFIA
I can take you to the palace library where you can learn about our history, yes.

LANGDON
Well it's settled, a date then. And after that we can--

MONAFIA
--After that we'll just have to find some other means to occupy our time.

The two smile at one another as the platform lowers.


INT. THE CZAR'S STAR CRUISER, CONFERENCE ROOM

The conference room is an elongated area with windows populating its sides and a table at its center. Czar Shepard stands with his arms folded as he listens to Lord Dalaysis expound upon the history of his people. There are two AIDES present sitting in the room, as well as Commander Wecker of Omega Squadron.


LORD DALAYSIS
So you see, we have not always abided on this world of Unisee. Our ancestors were a barbaric race on a distant planet. However, a benign and galactic superpower came and showed us many things. They taught us how to cure our sick, to restrain from hurting one another, basically they introduced us to peace, as well as shuttled us off to the planet we live on today, Unisee. Even the name of the planet was coined by them, as a picture of what we were to ultimately become as a people: See Unity. We have not seen them in thousands of years.

Czar Shepard places his hand to his chin.


CZAR SHEPARD
(continuing)
An interesting story, to say the least. I did find it odd that you Uniseeians speak our Earthly language, but I imagine that this would be the answer to the conundrum.

COMMANDER WECKER
So this benign race of beings bought people from Earth to Unisee in ages past? Where are they now? We could use that kind of military might in the war that wages on with the Bulgata.

LORD DALAYSIS
As I have said, we have not heard from them in many millennia.

AIDE #1
For all we know, they could be an extinct species. It's best not to rely or base our strategy around factors of which we have no control.

CZAR SHEPARD
(with arms folded)
Indeed. Where were these beings when the Bulgata was busy cutting a swath across the galaxy and enslaving world after world? We will trust in our own military might to quell this crisis.

LORD DALAYSIS
I very much doubt they'd be able to answer the call even if they are still active in the universe. They were a very peace loving people, as can be evidenced by what they accomplished with the world of Unisee alone. I don't think any of our legends speak of them as a military power.

AIDE #2
In any case, we as a people have just been involved with two first contacts within the span of a few days. I don't think we can necessarily rule out the possibility of other military powers in the galaxy that could pose challenges for us in the future.

CZAR SHEPARD
Yes, we need to prepare for any and all possibilities.

Czar Shepard turns and addresses his two aids as he unfolds his arms.


CZAR SHEPARD
(continuing)
Make the necessary preparations for an emergency meeting of High Command on Marune. I want all Academy commanders to attend this meeting. Lord Dalaysis, we appreciate all that you have shared with us. At the very least, you've cleared up some things and elucidated to us that Earth and its colonies are by far not the only power in the universe.

LORD DALAYSIS
I was glad to be of service. You have saved my people, and you continually watch over them. I will do all that I can to assist you.

COMMANDER WECKER
At some point I think it'd be a good idea to let Omega Elite in on this bit of information. It seems good to me that at least they know what kind of possibilities might lie before us.

CZAR SHEPARD
Yes, that sounds like a very good idea, Wecker. However, sleep on it a bit before letting them in on it, so that you can have a chance to internalize it yourself.

WECKER
As you wish, sire.

CZAR SHEPARD
Well gentlemen, this concludes our meeting. You are dismissed.


Commander Wecker and Lord Dalaysis stand, and head for the exit. Aides 1 and 2 stand and converse back and forth with Czar Shepard before they go. Lord Dalaysis catches up to Wecker.


LORD DALAYSIS
There is much literature available in the palace library that you could browse concerning the history of our people if you'd like. I'm sure it would give you great insight before letting the others know of it.

COMMANDER WECKER
Ah, that sounds like an offer I'll take, Lord Dalaysis. I was intrigued by your story afore hand, and having the opportunity to learn more about it, in depth, would be a chance that I would not miss.

LORD DALAYSIS
Then, I will let my servants know that you are interested, and they will lead you to the library whenever you wish.

The two exit the conference room.


INT. OMEGA SQUADRON, CONTROL ROOM

Acting Commander Reagan steps past the sliding door and heads for the control panel when his attention is arrested by a FEMALE OPERATOR.


FEMALE OPERATOR
Sir, you're just in time. We've got bogeys comin' and comin' fast.

Reagan hustles over to the control panel and radar.


REAGAN
(continuing)
Sound the alarm!


INT. DORMS, IRIS' QUARTERS

Iris sits alone in her dorm on her bed.


IRIS
(a beat)
Langdon...

The sudden buzzing of the alarm snaps her head this way and that, breaking her reverie.


FEMALE VOICE
(overcast)
All cadets report to your ships, immediately. This is not a drill. All cadets report to your ships immediately.

She gets up from her bed and walks through the sliding door. She spots cadets, both male and female, hurriedly making their way through the hall. She grabs a young woman by the arm.


IRIS
What's going on?

YOUNG WOMAN
I believe it is the Bulgata, they are attacking us.

The Young Woman pulls away from Iris and Iris follows after her and others.


INT. SHIP PORT - CONTINUOUS

A plethora of cadets make their way to their ships. Iris gets strapped in hers and begins flipping a few switches. Her ship and others suddenly begin to hover above ground and a continuous stream of fighters fly out of the ship port.

EXT. EXTENDED VIEW OF OMEGA SQUADRON

As the fighters exit the ship port they are immediately fired upon by the Bulgata crafts. We watch as Iris follows religiously after a Bulgata craft in free space. The Bulgata fighter does an array of twists and turns to dodge Iris' attempts at taking him down.


IRIS
Come on, come on...

Iris finally gets a clear shot and lets loose a stream of laser fire, completely severing one of the Bulgata fighter's wings in the process.

Immediately after this happening, Iris finds herself being chased by two Bulgata fighters.

IRIS
Can anyone lend a helping hand? I can sure use one right about now.

A FEMALE CADET speaks to Iris through her helmet.


FEMALE CADET
Gimme a moment, Iris. I'm on their tails.


Iris continues to weave and bob through the blackness of space. A laser beam scars her wing, but it's not too serious.


IRIS
Shoot.

FEMALE CADET
Just one more moment...

Finally, a photon torpedo escapes out of the cadets craft and explodes the Bulgata fighter.

FEMALE CADET
(continuing)
I got em!

IRIS
There's still that other one to deal with. I should be able to take care of this one.

Iris banks towards the Omega Squadron and begins to weave and bob throughout the small crevices of the superstructure, all while being followed by the Bulgata fighter. Finally, she cuts a corner and ascends high into the air. The Bulgata fighter continues to maneuver throughout the superstructure and Iris comes down right on top of him and blows him to smithereens.

By this time, the Bulgata fighters are the minority and they now begin to pull away. Some cadets follow after them until they get the command from Acting Commander Reagan. We see the inside of Iris' ship and the Female Cadet.

REAGAN
(through headsets)
Let them flee with their tails between their legs, cadets. Report back to the Academy.

The fighters begin heading back toward the ship port.


INT. OMEGA SQUADRON, SHIP PORT - CONTINUOUS

Ships land and hatches fly open. Cadets disembark from their crafts. Iris sees Acting Commander Reagan approaching from the sliding door and makes her way toward him.

 

 

Go to part:2  3  4  5 

 

 

Copyright © 2008 Michael Harris
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"