Joseph Petes
Gary W Hall

 


Joseph Petes

We see two hit men burst into an apartment, a man is waiting for them, and he is unarmed.

First Hit man: Joseph you know why where here?

Joseph: Of course I know, but before you have to take care of me, can I have three things.

Second Hit man: You are in no position to argue.

Joseph: Am I?

Joseph turns on the television screen the Hit men are on it

Joseph: You see, if you let me have my three things I will let you have the videos or maybe you think oh he will be dead show how can he send the videos, well my friend has at least three cameras pointing at you and me so I have told him to send them to the police if you shoot me before I phone him.

First Hit man: Damn you! What do you want?

Joseph: Good question, first I want to go to the toilet, second I want your names and thirdly I want to have a last meal.

Second Hit man: Why do want our names?

Joseph: Well when something kills you like a virus or something they have a name for it like Lung Cancer or Flu. I am damned if I am going to hell with the knowledge that I was killed by a bullet or bullets, I want names.

First Hit man: Are you going to run?

Joseph: No, if I run what is the point I be on the run for the rest of my life no, I want my life ending.
Second Hit man: Ok first thing on your lists go to the bathroom, go on then.

Joseph goes into the bathroom

First Hit man: Can you believe this shit, I have never had someone do that to me before, like he almost expected us to be here.

Second Hit man: I know what you mean he had no weapons, he could of run but he did not, he probably in there now, doing his hair.

Joseph comes out

Joseph: Well, I got to say that I am better know, second my list your names, can I have them please, first and second.

First Hit man: Resick, Carlos Resick.

Second Hit man: Farsham, Guy Farsham.

Joseph: Would you to Gentlemen like to accompany me to the Diner?

Carlos: Sure, then we can make sure that you don�t run away

Carlos, Guy and Joseph walk out of the building and walk to the diner, they sit down in a table in the corner of the diner.

Joseph: This meal is two course so have something yourself?

Carlos: Ok

Guy: Excuse me Joseph, if don�t mind me asking how come you are so ready to die.

Joseph: Well�.

Titles run

The diner is now full, Joseph is just ordering

Joseph: I will have a Chocolate Shake and a Hamburger Medium done with fries on the side.

The other two guys order, the waitress goes away.

Guy: Well what is the reason?

Joseph: It�s a collection stories really, how I came to be involved, how it started, how I came to be in this situation, well it started with me not even knowing what was going on but I soon would.

The camera shifts from the diner to the docks and then if goes back a week.

A man in a white suit comes to the docks and is by a ship called the Sandra Pre, he lights a cigarette, and another man in blue comes out of the darkness and speaks

Man in blue: Gardino, You are late; I have been waiting here over twenty minutes

Gardino: Sorry Malencho I was called away on some urgent business, anyway let�s do the exchange

Malencho pulls out a woman of about 18, she is shaken up but no more than that.

Gardino opens the light brown suitcase and shows an extreme amount of money.

Malencho: You secret service guys always pull through, If I knew what I know now about her, I would of asked for a lot more but seen we are both tired and we can not renegotiate, give me the money and I will give you the girl.

Gardino holds out a pointed finger

Gardino: Ok let�s exchange

Malencho notices this sudden finger change he is sure that he is in a trap, but he played it cool.

Gardino slide the money to Malencho, Malencho got the girl to pick it up and open it, the notes were unmarked, Malencho knew he would not get out the docks alive.

Malencho: This is a set up isn�t it, well I am not give up without a fight.

The girl he had brought was a puppet, what is more it is a machine gun, he pulls off the clothing and starts firing at Gardino, Gardino gets hit in the arm with a bullet

Gardino: GO!

Suddenly about 25 armed police units are surrounding Malencho, Malencho reaches into his Pocket swallows something, he falls over dead.

Gardino: God damn it, I thought he might pull something like this. Now the only person we could get to tell us where Natasha is, has just taken his own life, we need a third party.

Officer: Whom do you suggest?

We pan to the bank where Joseph has just finished serving another customer

Joseph is talking to his assistant

Joseph: I hate this job it so unfulfilling, I never do anything apart from the dross of servicing and importing cash, I wish for some excitement.

The camera pans back to the diner

Joseph: If I knew what that flippant wish would cost me, I would not of made it, the SIS where already scouting me as a person to free Natasha.

We pan to SIS headquarters

Gardino: Hazimo will now know we tricked him and Natasha will be in even more danger.

A voice says: Gardino! Get your ass in here now!

Gardino comes into the office, his chief is a tall, lanky man with a nice tie, Natasha, his daughter has been kidnapped by a notorious gangster Hazimo.

Chief: Gardino, you screwed last night and now it is my ass on the shooting line, my wife wants my daughter back and she was not happy about me putting some gun happy police chump on it!

Gardino: With respect sir, Hazimo did not even want give you daughter back, the puppet he brought was a gun.

Chief: I does matter in my wife�s eyes or to that fact my eyes, because you see it could have been my little girl and if see was harmed in anyway shape or form, I would not be held responsible for my actions.

Gardino: Look Chief, if Hazimo was poor or just started out I won�t have this feeling like there is something more, Hazimo is one of the richest men in the world, he has millions in the bank in the Cayman Islands alone, he has a least one business in ever country in the world, so why would he want �2 million cash, he is making that ever week.

All of a sudden the phone goes.

A hard but soft voice comes from the other end.

Voice: Mr Hass I suppose you would like your daughter in tacked, because after one of my men killed himself which I must commend to show such loyalty is good, but I am always saying an eye for an eye�

A explosion in the police car outside


Voice carries on: A tooth for a tooth, so that makes us even, but I did not phone for the purpose of vengeance, I phoned because of your daughter, she is waiting for you, your little girl is waiting for you to pay up, in the form that I asked for.

Haas: Listen to me, you son of a bitch, if I ever catch you, I will play your internal organs like an accordion.

Voice: Uncompromising threats to me, now I don�t want that trigger happy cop present, get an impartial party involved and meet me on the west side of Gold Street, no later than 6.00pm on Thursday.

We pan back to Joseph

Joseph: If I knew then what I know now I would of told them where to stick their offer.

We pan back to the bank

Joseph: Thanks for your custom.

He had said this for the twentieth time today so it was losing some meaning

A man in a bright red suit comes up and speaks

Man: Hello, can I speak to the manager please

Joseph: I am the manager.

Man: Can I please to speak to you in the back please?

Joseph: Sure

Joseph shows the man to his office and the man begins to talk

Man: Hello Mr Petes, I am a member of an organisation of law enforcement and we need someone of your stature to be a go-between for us.

Joseph: Why don�t you send one of your own guys?

Man: We did, he made a mistake now the other party will not deal with us directly, so we need an outside member of the public to help with this matter.

Joseph: What do I need to do?

Man: You will need to go down to our headquarters on Harp Street here�s the address. A word of warning the other party involved have a history of come after people so make sure you are careful.

Joseph: I will be.

It pans back to Joseph

Joseph: I should of guessed that it was a set-up from minute one but unfortunately I was so caught up in the moment that I just didn�t pay any attention to the fact that the clues were there, but when I got to SIS headquarters and meet Gardino, I knew I had someone I could trust.

We pan to the SIS Headquarter

Joseph enters the office

The man who had approached him walked up to him.

Man: Hello I am Rudolph Gardino, I am the detective on this case, the Chief wants to speak to you.

Joseph saw Hass over the door

Joseph: Hello Mr Hass.

Hass: Never mind Hello, here�s the situation, my daughter been kidnapped by Hazimo, the number one crime lord in this country, nobody has ever seen him, but he does exist, the only thing we know about him is that he has one eye.

Joseph: Look Hass, let�s get this straight I am not one of your men, so if you shout I will not say sir, but I am willing to help as it seems that this Hazimo is a dangerous man.

Hass: Damn straight he�s dangerous, he faces the death penalty as he was a British spy and he committed treason by telling all of our secrets.

Joseph gets up and Hass�s eye follows him the other doesn�t.

Joseph: So where do I have to meet this Hazimo then?

Hass: It will not be him; it will be one of his right hand men. You will met him down at the Old Gonary on Crab Street at 9.00pm tonight.

Joseph: That old cinema place with dark alleys.

Hass: Yes.

Joseph held his hand out; Hass put a suitcase on it.

Hass: Good luck.

We pan to Crab Street Joseph is walking around whistling.

Joseph: One thing I can say about the criminals of this city they are not punctual, it�s quarter past nine already.

All of a sudden a man walks over to him

Man: Are you, Petes.

Joseph: Yes

Man: Where is the money?

Joseph: Where is the girl?

The man snaps his fingers, and two men bring forward a person with a bag over the head.

Man: Give me the money and I will give you the girl

Joseph: Show me her face first I have a picture.

The man pulls back the bag, a girl who matched the picture was revealed, and she was gagged and bound.

Joseph opened the suitcase revealed a neat row of money to the man.

Man: Throw me the money, slowly and I will pass you the girl.

Joseph slid the suitcase to the man, the man check it a through the girl at him, but as the girl came stumbling towards him, she broke her bounds and pulled out two pistol and start to fire a Joseph, Joseph jumped to the side and ran inside a warehouse.

Joseph: Can you believe this shit, the girl was a trap, and someone wants me dead.

Joseph looks for an escape route as the two gangsters burst in and open fire, Joseph spots stairs and made a run for it, the two gangsters spot him and fire in his direction, they fire at him as he climbs the stair as they are still firing at him, he reaches a door and closes it and locks it he is in a office, it was small with a single desk, Joseph searched the desk, he found nothing but writing equipment, then he heard the gangsters come up the stairs, he looks at the window and he launches himself though the window, he is falling, Joseph looks down and sees a soft canvass for fish , he lands on it and then he starts to run.

Joseph stop running, he was back in town, he was looking around trying to avoid the gangsters, he needed a gun if he was to live, a homeless man looked at him.

Homeless Man: Running away from Hazimo�s net are you?

Joseph: Yes, How did you know that?

Homeless man revealed his leg, it was wooden with a steel clamps at the joint.

Homeless Man: I made the mistake of getting involved with Hazimo, I was a gun runner from the states to here, he was organising a shipment, they only thing he shipped was me, then one of his goons took my leg, but how was I supposed to know that the girl was one of his gang.

Joseph showed the picture of the girl who had fired upon him.

Homeless Man: That�s her nasty piece of work, Hazimo�s top assassin that�s why I live here if Hazimo catches me I am dead.

Joseph: I was set up by someone in the SIS, they gave me the photo, someone must of swapped it.

Homeless Man: That�s why I never dared to go to the police.

Joseph: Can you help me get some guns?

Homeless Man: Well the only vender, who sells them, is Jose, but he is difficult to find, he finds you.

Joseph: How do I make him want to find me?

Homeless Man: He already has!

Joseph turns round to be faced with a man in combat pants and a combat t-shirt.

Joseph: You must be Jose, nice to meet you!

Joseph held out his hand Jose didn�t shake it he kept his strange stare that he had.

Jose: Do not play games with me, Durango or I will use you like an accordion, what do you want with me?

Joseph: I want some guns?

Jose: What type of guns, machine guns, sniper rifles, submachine guns?

Joseph: I will have an automatic, two Uzi�s and a sniper rifle.

Jose: How will you be paying?

Joseph pulled his wallet and produces a few hundred notes, he gave them to Jose, and Jose beckoned him, Joseph followed Jose to an alley behind a broken down cinema, he revealed a cart full of weapons and supplied Joseph with the guns he had paid for and a crate full of bullets. Joseph then turns to Jose.

Joseph: Do you anywhere I would be safe from Hazimo and SIS.

Jose: Yes, there is safe house on Bentley Lane, ask for Roberto, and tell him I sent you, he will make sure that you are comfortable.

Joseph: Thanks Jose.

Jose smiled, a cheerful smile and Joseph left for Bentley Lane.

Joseph proceeded down the street, it was dark and dimly lit by street lamps, he saw a prostitute plying her trade and an old beggar man walking the streets, he saw Roberto�s bar in neon letters from across the street. Joseph went across and enter the bar pulling his weapons behind him.

Joseph: Jose sent me.

Roberto: Jose sent you, well Durango, it look he gave you a little present, so why don�t you go away and tell Jose not to send girls to my bar again.

Joseph: Hazimo set me up and if you don�t help me, I might as well dig the grave now.

Roberto: Look Durango, you can stay here but first you beat our champion wrestler.

A man comes out here is a least twice as tall as Joseph and at least a couple of pounds heaver than Joseph.

Roberto: It is the first two make his opponent submit or pin for the three that wins

Joseph follows this man to the back where a ring is set up, and the men from the front are coming to their seats. Roberto is in a referees costume, he signals for them to come closer

Roberto: I want a clean wrestling match; let�s get ready to rumble.

Joseph and the man go into a corner and then Roberto starts.

Roberto: In the red corner our in house champion, from the gutter Hernandez Mace and in the red corner the challenger for protection in this hotel from ���.

Joseph: Salford

Roberto: Salford, Manchester

Joseph: Joseph Petes

Roberto: Joseph Petes

(People cheer at Hernandez�s name, boo and hiss at Joseph�s)

Roberto points at the bell ringer, he rings the bell.

Announcer: Hernandez flings Joseph into the ropes and hits him with a clothesline, Joseph lands on his back, he picks up Joseph and full scoop slams him, then Hernandez runs to the rope and does a leg drop. No offence offered so far by the Joseph if he not careful, it could be over, he could be set up to Hernandez�s special moves, the running power slam followed by the body splash. Hernandez puts his hand up, that�s the signal for the running power slam, and he picks up Joseph. Ouch, that was a powerful slam, Hernandez is going to the top, the splash, Hernandez covers one-two �kick out Joseph kicked out of the body splash. Hernandez runs at Joseph and thrust his arm forward, Joseph takes Hernandez down by the arm, the crippler cross face, Hernandez is screaming in agony, Roberto bending down looking. Hernandez taps out, ladies and gentlemen our winner Joseph Petes.

Roberto: Durango, you are fine fighter, you welcome to stay at my place anytime, so what�s the problem Hombre?

Joseph: Hazimo, the gangster boss is after me and I think that the SIS is in his pocket.

Roberto: Well Hombre, you are wrong about the SIS being in Hazimo�s anything, but he does work there.

Joseph: Hazimo works in law enforcement, that�s handy.

All of sudden, a beautiful walks in she has black free flowing hair and a curvy figure, Joseph�s jaws dropped.

Roberto: Oh, Hombre, a word of advice, a woman like that is a heart breaker, she would tear you in two.

Jose just walked into the hotel, he is carrying a bag, Roberto and Jose hug each other and Jose comes over.

Jose: Roberto just told me you beat my cousin Hernandez, he said he was beating you and then out of nowhere you delivered a submission hold.

Joseph: Sorry Jose I didn�t realise he was a member of your family.

Jose: Hey you didn�t really hurt him; so there are no bad feelings, not for me in any case.

Joseph: So what brings you to Roberto�s place, plying your trade?

Jose: Well I have come to see you and I have a package for Julia Gear.

The woman who Joseph had noticed turned round

Julia: Did you just say my name?

Jose: Yes, Senorita I have a package for you

Julia eyes moved from Jose, to Roberto and then to Joseph who had a misty look over his face.

Julia: Who is this?

Julia was pointing at Joseph

Roberto: Joseph Petes, a man on the run.

Julia: Who is he on the run from?

Jose: Senor Hazimo

Julia: HAZIMO, He is a nut case, he wants to own this city, he own half of it as it is.

Joseph was still staring mistily at Julia when he looked up and saw a sniper aiming for Julia�s head. Joseph reaches into the bag and shoots the sniper, everybody around him recoiled, and then Joseph pointed up to the sniper.

Joseph: He was about to take out Julia. Jose ran up the stair and checked the sniper�s pulse and saw the rifle from which he had been aiming.

Jose: Senor Petes you really saved Miss Cortez�s life, she will really appreciate it when she wakes up.

Jose points at Maria, who had fainted.

Joseph: Hey it�s no big deal, who would want to kill her anyway.

Jose: Your friend Senor Hazimo.

Joseph: Why?

Jose: She saw his face and knows his name, he can�t allow anyone to know what his name is.
 
Roberto: She told us that he works for SIS but that she could not remember the name.

Roberto: Well we have a rat for Hazimo here, he knows when we hide someone for him, so you need to move around you will be safe for three days that�s it, we know it�s someone we trust.

Joseph: Okay, it�s alright if I go to bed, Roberto.

Roberto: Sure man, take the first room on your right.

Roberto throws the keys and Joseph catches them.

Joseph wakes up on his own, and gets dressed.

He comes down stairs and sees the wrestler he beat.

Joseph: Hello Hernandez, how are you.

Hernandez: Fine thanks hombre, still a bit sore but apart from that fine.

Joseph: Sorry about that I did not mean to hurt you so badly.

Hernandez: It�s okay, you want a drink?

Joseph: Sure given me, San Miguel.

Hernandez: Give him fosters, San Miguel is not served here.

Joseph takes a sip of his drink, when Julia comes over and kisses him gently on the cheek.

Julia: Thank you Senor for saving my life, I owe you my life, if there is anything I can do for you name it.

Joseph: Can I buy you a drink.

Julia: Of course.

Hernandez shakes his head at Joseph.

Julia: Shall we take our drinks somewhere a bit more private.

Joseph and Julia go out to a private lounge where she pounces and starts to kiss him.

Julia: I love you, you know that don�t you?

Joseph: Yes my darling.

Hernandez leaves the bar and goes out to the street.

As he leaves Roberto and Jose come in laughing. They spot Jose and Julia in their passionate clinch, Julia smiles slyly at them.

Julia: NOW.

The doors open wide and the girl who had chased Joseph comes in with about 30 men and then pulls out a gun and shoots Jose and Roberto. Then the men start shooting everything Joseph runs for his bedroom and he closes his door and gets his guns, then he sees Julia and then girl who chased him embrace then kiss passionately.

We come back to the diner.

Carlos: What this Julia was a lesbian?

Joseph: Yes.

Guy: She worked for Hazimo this whole time.

Joseph: Oh yes.

We go back to Joseph in his room, he sees the men come up he grabs his suitcase and throws it out the window, then keeping a gun he breaks the window and jumps out of it, he lands on the ground and then he clasps unconscious.

He wakes up in a warehouse.

Hernandez: you okay I brought your stuff, and I saw the guns I brought them too.

Joseph: Roberto and Jose are dead, that woman who chased me killed them.

Hernandez: Maria killed them all, I owe her.

Joseph: I going to go out and see what the word on the street is..

Hernandez: be careful.

Joseph goes out, looks around for people of Hazimo, he sees a prostitute.

Joseph: What�s the word on the street.

Pro: Depends whose asking.

Joseph: It�s okay for Charles to ask?

Joseph pulls out a bunch of notes.

Prostitute looks at the notes.

Pro: Hazimo is personally going to pick up a delivery from Columbia.

Joseph: Okay thank you miss.

Joseph turns around to leave

Pro: Where do you think you are going?

Joseph: To get Hazimo.

Pro: Not without me you aren�t, because I owe you something.

Joseph: What?

Pro: This.

The prostitute kisses Joseph.

Pro: That ones for free, but Michael will have to pay for anything more?

Joseph: I don�t want sex I want Hazimo�s head on a stick.

Pro: Hazimo�s a hard man to find, he does not like to be seen, the last person who saw him, ended up with their eyes cut out and they where decapitated.

Joseph: You coming Hazimo is not going to stop me when I have these.

Joseph produces his guns

Pro: Don�t point them here, Jesus don�t you want to live.

We pan across to the SIS centre and Gardino is at his desk, his phone rings

Gardino: Gardino here.

Voice: You in charge of Hazimo case?

Gardino: Yes, can you help me?

Voice: I know where he is going to be tonight

Gardino: Where?

Voice: The docks picking stock of the Columbian kind if you know what I mean

Gardino: Yes I know what you mean

Voice: See you tonight

Gardino puts down the phone and looks at his assistant

Gardino: Claire, get me everyone, we are taking out Hazimo

We turn to Claire to see, she is Julia.

The pro, Joseph and Hernandez where outside the warehouse, Hernandez hand was bleeding, Hernandez was explaining why

Hernandez: Well seeing I am English and Spanish, I made a blood swear to avenge my cousin and his friend.

Joseph: Well okay but just cover it up I don�t like seeing blood. Now we have to get focused on the job in hand, when we get to the docks no funny business we go in shoot everything up and get the hell out of Dodge.

Pro: Okay

Hernandez: Sure.

We focus now on the docks, we see the ship with drugs on it and a masked man.

Masked Man: Make sure you get it all; I don�t want to get home and find I have left half of it for the cops to find.

Thug: Sure Boss.

Hazimo smile a curious smile

Hazimo: Soon I will have enough money to rule this city.

We then notice the three people creeping up behind them

Joseph: Right Hernandez you take the right, Natalie you take the left and I will take the middle.

They begin moving in the direction of what Joseph said, Hernandez moves behind the guard and snaps his neck, and then Natalie whistled to another guard and then kicked him hard Joseph pull out his sniper rifle and aimed at a guard�s head we see the guard fall over

Another movement, Claire (Julia) and Gardino are creeping up on the position of the ship and see what is going on.

Gardino: Claire I realise that Mr Petes is taking out all the guards for us.

Claire hits Gardino on the back of the head

Claire: Hazamo has plans for you and Mr Petes, Mr Gardino

We pan back to Joseph

Joseph: Right that�s the guards out of way�..

We see Julia and the woman who shot at Joseph point guns at Hernandez and Natalie; they beckon Joseph and his companions to go forward and face the masked man.

Hazimo: Ahh Mr Petes so nice to see you and you friends I hope that you will excuse the ruddiness of my invitation but your friend Mr Gardino has been so nice as to join us tonight

Gardino is brought out semi unconscious

Hazimo: I have been listening to the reports of the famous Joseph Petes dodging and interfering, then I leaked the information that I would appear hear tonight and knew that you would come and find me here, so Mr Petes, you now know that I am the harbinger of your death, I will show you my face but even if you don�t look this will not save you or your friends from my wrath.

Hazimo begins to pull off the mask, we see traces of his face, he finally pulls off the mask.

Joseph: You, why I should of known, you had direct access to the SIS computer and you even got me on this case.

We turn round and see Hazimo is Hass

Haas: Well I give you my real daughter�s picture and made up her kidnapping because Gardino already suspected that I was keeping secrets from the SIS, you see what the SIS did not know is that Haas is an alias and I betrayed this stupid country for nothing, so I wanted power to prove to the government I could do it, but I needed information and that I could get by holding a position of power, so natural in Haas I had a perfect officer with no records and a great leadership record while I made plans to destroy the SIS from within, now though I will simply bow it up, but you need not worry yourself about that as you will not be around to see it.

Haas clicks his fingers and Natasha brings out a piece of rope tied in a hangman�s noose, a car with a carriage behind it and a altar with several cutting instrument beside it

Haas: Who is to go first, let me see you big man

Haas points to Hernandez, Hernandez passes Joseph a knife and winks, Hernandez gets his neck placed in the noose and Julia and Natasha both pull on the rope, Hernandez is slowly choking but the girls both release the rope and Hernandez falls to the ground barely moving, then the girls and some guards place Hernandez on the carriage and the car drives fast and twist and turns with Hernandez screaming in the back, then the car stops the girls and the guards lift Hernandez onto the altar and tie him down and Hazimo is above him smiling.

Hazimo: Now you will see what happens to people who dare cross me Mr Petes.

Hazimo takes one of the cutting instruments then the camera pans away but me see glances of Hazimo looking like he is cutting Hernandez open and Hernandez screams penetrate the night, then with one quick motion Hazimo looks like he is cutting Hernandez�s neck

Hazimo: That is one down and three to go

Joseph feels something in his hands it is a gun, Gardino is behind him fully conscious now, Gardino fires and guns down Natasha and Joseph fires many bullets into Julia�s body, Hazimo now is the opposite of cocky and is looking for a way out, he starts to run, but Joseph gets the knife from his pocket and throws it, the knife hits Hazimo in the back of the head, but Joseph now knows he is a target for the rest of the criminal world as Hazimo will have friends who will have him avenged.

We pan back to Joseph

Joseph: That�s about it

Guy: Looks like you have been to hell and back

We turn around properly to look at Joseph, it is Gardino, he is looking outside Joseph and Natalie go into the hotel opposite

Gardino gets up and the hit men follow him, they take him to a back street and shoot him in the head.

We then pan to the hotel, a man goes into it with a parcel under his arm

Man: This is a package from a Haas to Joseph Petes

Receptionist: Thanks

The man walks out and walks away quietly. All of the suddenly the hotel blows up

The end!

 

 

Copyright © 2002 Gary W Hall
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"