The Festival Of The Dead
Shaun M. Goldsmith

 

EXT – BUILDING – NIGHT
SUPER: Londinium, 122 AD.

A heavy rainfall pelts against the rooftop of the building.

INT – BUILDING – DRUSILLA’S ROOM

Drusilla’s room is a one-room dwelling, lit entirely by candles and sparsely furnished. Drusilla stands by the lone window, peering into the street below. She wears a thin garment, which barely veils her naked flesh underneath.

EXT – STREET

A MAN, drenched from the rain and wearing a cloak, which conceals his face and is draped to his feet, passes beneath the window and turns into a passageway leading to an inner courtyard.

INT – STAIRWELL

The Man steps briskly up the stairs, stopping in front of a door on the landing. He knocks softly. The door opens and Drusilla appears. She smiles sensually as he enters and closes the door behind him.

INT – DRUSILLA’S ROOM

The Man lowers his hood but only Drusilla can see his face. They stand facing each other in silence for an awkward moment. Then, she reaches her hand out to him.

DRUSILLA
Do you have the money?

From his cloak, the Man retrieves several coins and hands them to Drusilla, who smiles. She turns and walks to the table beside the bed and places them atop it. She turns back to face the man and removes her garment, allowing it to drop to her ankles. She steps from it and walks to the bed, reclining invitingly.

DRUSILLA
Come here.

She runs her hand along her stomach and breasts. The Man turns away and extinguishes the candles on the table to his right, littered with plates and cups, while a lone candle on the table beside the bed still glows.

From inside his cloak, the Man produces a long dagger and walks to the bed, holding the knife behind his back. He lays beside her.
DRUSILLA
Kiss me.

Drusilla smiles innocently and closes her eyes as they kiss, unaware of the imminent danger. The Man leans back and thrusts the knife towards her neck, neatly slicing through it.

Blood spurts across the wall and the night table. The candle is extinguished and the room falls dark.

INT – SCIPIO’S VILLA – BEDROOM – NIGHT

SCIPIO, a middle-aged, distinguished-looking man awakes in darkness with a start. He is alone and covered in perspiration. Trembling, Scipio sits up and wipes the sweat from his brow.

Scipio rises and walks to the desk across the room. Sitting, he lights a candle and writes in his journal.

SCIPIO (V.O)
A soldier comes to accept death.
Even to embrace it. But, there are
no words to describe the carnage that
I have been witness to.

He stops briefly, then continues.

SCIPIO (V.O)
To the carnage that I have caused.

Scipio pauses again, burying his face into his hands. He wipes his eyes.

SCIPIO (V.O.)
I see their blood in my dreams.
(beat)
Death is my shadow…

He throws the journal aside and it tumbles to the floor.

INT – SHED - DAY

Scipio is seated, sorting grapes from large baskets. To his right is a pair of baskets with red grapes, barely filled. To his left, are several baskets filled with grapes that are rotten. Scipio reaches into the basket to his right and holds a grape between his fingers.

SCIPIO
Over ripe.

Disgusted, Scipio tosses the grape into the basket to his left. Through the shed door, Scipio notices a caravan approaching in the distance. Four SOLDIERS on horseback are leading a covered wagon along the driveway to his villa, halting front of Scipio’s villa.

EXT - DRIVEWAY

The Soldiers arrive in front of Scipio’s villa and dismount their horses, standing rigid at attention. Stepping from the cart are two men, VERANIUS and CALPURNIUS. Veranius is a fat, balding man who lumbers when he walks while Pontius is gaunt with an aloof disposition.

Veranius waves to Scipio as he approaches.

VERANIUS
Good morning, Scipio.

SCIPIO
It is good to see you, Senator.

VERANIUS
Allow me to introduce the Proconsul of
Britannia. Magistrate Calpurnius
Agricola.

Veranius and Scipio nod to one another.


SCIPIO
To what do I owe the pleasure, Magistrate?

CALPURNIUS
There is a matter of grave concern to the Empire.

Veranius takes Scipio by the arm, leading him away from the Soldiers where they can speak in seclusion. Calpurinius follows, lingering behind them.

VERANIUS
Your name was provided as one most suitable for the task.

SCIPIO
I suppose I should be flattered.

VERANIUS
Not in the least. The Governor of Britannia…
(to Calpurnius)
What is his name?

CALPURNIUS
Roscius Falco.

SCIPIO
Falco?

VERANIUS
You know him?

SCIPIO
I served as his Consul during the
campaigns in Partha.

CALPURNIUS
That would explain why he recommended
you.

SCIPIO
Recommended me for what?

VERANIUS
(softly)
There have been several deaths in the city of Londinium.

SCIPIO
Deaths? What is it? A plague?

CALPURNIUS
Not a plague. Not exactly.

Veranius turns his head to left and right, ensuring that no one can hear them.

VERANIUS
Keep your voices down! Several women have been slain within the last few months. The situation has become quite unacceptable.

Scipio smiles.

SCIPIO
Unacceptable? You have a gift
for understatement, Senator.

CALPURNIUS
Do you find this humorous, general?

SCIPIO
Not at all, Magistrate.

Scipio turns and begins to walk to the shed.

SCIPIO
What does this have to do with me?

VERANIUS
We had hoped that you investigate
these…circumstances.

SCIPIO
What makes you think I would want?

CALPURNIUS
Because the Emperor commands it.

Scipio stops and faces Calpurnius.

SCIPIO
For my friend, I would consider
it…

Veranius places his hand on Scipio’s shoulder.

VERANIUS
Scipio. Look around you. This
is just such an opportunity to
prove your worth to the Emperor.

SCIPIO
I have nothing to prove to
the Emperor. Or to either of you.

CALPURNIUS
But what of your family? Certainly,
a man, if he feels no loyalty to the
empire, should feel some sense of
duty to his loved ones. Where are your
wife and child General? I do not see
them.

Scipio turns to walk away, but Veranius stops him.

VERANIUS
Scipio. The Empire needs you.

SCIPIO
I have given the Empire all that
it needs.

CALPURNIUS
It would be unfortunate general to return to Rome without you. Perhaps, it is time you decided if you are a loyal citizen of the Empire. Or if you are not.

Scipio steps close to Calpurnius, face to face.

SCIPIO
Are you threatening me Magistrate?


VERANIUS
No one is threatening you General…



CALPURINIUS
Take it as you please. But, perhaps you should consider that there was a time when the name Scipio was respected
throughout the Empire. For his bravery
and his nobility. Not for cowering in
Ostia amongst his vineyards, washing
away his sins in wine.

Scipio gives Calpurnius a hard stare, and then looks to Veranius. Veranius looks down at the ground, averting Scipio’s eyes.

CALPURNIUS
It would be a shame to have to return to advise the Emperor that we do not have your full commitment, General. Are you certain we cannot change your mind?

Scipio stares coldly at Calpurnius. Veranius nods and smiles.

EXT CLIFFTOP – WATCHTOWER - DAY

Perched on a high cliff is a lone SENTRY, dressed in battle armor standing in the watchtower. His gaze is fixed out to sea.

EXT SEA

A Roman merchant ship slowly plods through the water, its bow lurching heavily in the rough waves.

EXT MERCHANT SHIP

The CREW works the lines and sails that billow in the strong wind. The HELMSMAN works vigorously at the tiller. Standing beside him is the CAPTAIN, who sights land on the horizon and smiles.

CAPTAIN
(to Helmsman)
Britannia

The Crew raises a signal flag as the ship approaches the harbor. In the distance, an identical flag rises from a building on the dock.

EXT DOCK

The Crew ties up the merchant ship to the dock. From the ship's innards, PASSENGERS and SLAVES emerge.

EXT SHIP’S DECK

Scipio steps out onto the deck. Beside him is his crippled slave, ABRAHAM, hunched deeply over a pair of crutches. He is young but looks years older. His clothes are mere rags.

EXT DOCK

SLAVES prepare baggage, tying saddlebags to mules. SLAVE #1 places containers on a litter behind a horse, while SLAVE#2 places a horseshoe on a horse leading a cart while SLAVE#3 attaches the horse to cart with a yoke around its neck. The horse bucks wildly.

EXT ROAD

The mule train weaves through the countryside along a rough and muddy road. At the head of the train is a pair of SOLDIERS followed by Scipio’s cart leading several pack animals led by SLAVES.

EXT CART

Abraham emerges from the rear of the cart, parting the flaps. Gazing at the land and sky, he shakes his head returns inside.

EXT HAMLET

Scipio emerges from inside the cart as the mule train passes through and impoverished hamlet. The CART DRIVER whips the horse and urges it on.

SCIPIO
How much further?

CART DRIVER
Some time yet.

Scipio notices the HAMLET RESIDENTS watch the cart pass by in silence as they tend to their fires and livestock.

SCIPIO
Who are they?

CART DRIVER
Celts. You had better
get back inside General.
If they realize you are
from Rome, they’re liable
to kill you.

SCIPIO
Really?

CART DRIVER
They have done it to those
less important than you.

Scipio eyes the Cart Driver. The Cart Driver nods and Scipio returns inside the cart.
EXT LONDINIUM BRIDGE – DAY

As the cart crosses the bridge, a pair of SOLDIERS snaps to attention, noticing Scipio’s standard flapping in the wind.

EXT LONDINIUM

The cart enters the bustling city of London. VENDORS hawk their wares to PEDESTRIANS who have invaded the streets while CHILDREN play. WORKERS gather fish from the river and several groups of SOLDIERS move about the city on horseback.

EXT GOVERNOR’S PALACE – COURTYARD

The cart comes to a halt before an opulent building guarded by a pair of SOLDIERS at the huge main door. Awaiting them is CENTURION LEPIDUS. Scipio steps from the cart, helped down by the CART DRIVER, followed by Abraham. Centurion Lepidus escorts Scipio and Abraham inside.

INT GOVERNOR’S PALACE – ATRIUM

Scipio stands over a small pool located beneath an opening in the ceiling, Abraham beside him. Scipio looks at his reflection, rubbing his chin. Centurion Lepidus stands off near the entrance to a hallway.

CENTURION LEPIDUS
Wait here please.

Centurion Lepidus exits the atrium.

SCIPIO
I am getting old Abraham.

ABRAHAM
We are all getting old.

Scipio tours the room as SLAVES bring Scipio’s belongings into the atrium, directed by Abraham. Scipio admires the frescos on the walls and the mosaic tiles on the floor.

From the hallway, GOVERNOR ROSCIUS FALCO appears, flanked by two aides. A behemoth of a man with a commanding air, he walks quickly to face Scipio. He eyes Scipio for a hard moment. Then, his face bursts into a wide smile.

FALCO
Publis Corneilius Scipio. How
Long has it been my friend?

Scipio and Falco shake hands and embrace warmly.

SCIPIO
Too long.

FALCO
How was your journey?

SCIPIO
It was well. But, the weather
in Gesoriacum was far worse than
I had expected. Now, you can
answer the question no one could
in Rome.

FALCO
What is that?

SCIPIO
What is so important for
the Governor of Britannia
to petition Emperor Hadrian
himself to bring this
broken down general all
the way to Britannia from his
comfortable villa?

FALCO
And away from his mistresses
at that.

Scipio laughs.

SCIPIO
Indeed.

FALCO
All in good time my friend.
I have much to tell you. But,
your journey has been a long
one. Let us bring you food and
wine.

Falco smiles wistfully.

FALCO
(cont’d)
It is good to see you again.

SCIPIO
And you my friend.

Scipio and Falco shake hands again.

FALCO
Let us gather your things.

Falco nods to his Aides who step forward to gather Scipio’s belongings. Instantly, Abraham stumbles forward, blocking the Aides’ paths.

FALCO
(to Scipio)
Surely you don’t believe my
hospitality to be less that
what I would expect for myself.
How can your slave here move all of your things alone?

SCIPIO
Abraham allows no one to oversee
my things but he.

FALCO
(to Abraham)
Do not concern yourself with it.
I can assure you that your master’s
things will be tended to with
the greatest of care.

Abraham looks suspiciously at Falco, then relents to the Aides who gather Scipio’s belongings.

FALCO
(to Scipio)
How long has it been since you
have had a most delectable fish
sauce?

INT RECEPTION ROOM - FALCO’S PALACE – NIGHT

A MUSICIAN plays music in the lavish reception room, adorned with busts of various Emperors while SLAVES serve Falco and Scipio, who are reclining on long couches facing each other, a table between them festooned with wine and food. Abraham is seated at Scipio’s feet.

The Musician finishes and Scipio and Falco applaud. The Musician bows and exits, followed by the SLAVES. Falco’s smile diminishes, his face weary.

FALCO
You wouldn’t believe the
problems that I have encountered.
The Tax Collectors! Their
corruption is as rife as the
stench of their shit.

Scipio laughs.


FALCO
Plaetorius Nepos, my very own
Fiscal Procurator. A friend
of Hadrian’s no less. He has
convinced the assembly that I
am not acting for the welfare
of the people.

A demure FEMALE SLAVE approaches and pours wine into Scipio’s cup.

SCIPIO
You are as liable as any
Governor to uphold the
Lex lulia municipalis.

Falco shoos the Female Slave away. She exits.

FALCO
As I have told them, time and
time again. I am not the one
who has mandated that only
rubbish carts are allowed in the
streets during day. The merchants
complain as if I had visited
treason upon them.

SCIPIO
Have you?

FALCO
Of course not. And don’t think
that I am not sympathetic. But,
I have the safety of the citizens
to consider.

Scipio laughs as he eats a piece of fruit, the juice dribbling from his chin.

FALCO
What’s so funny?

SCIPIO
You almost sound respectable.

Falco laughs, not as heartily as Scipio.


FALCO
Enough about myself
It has been a long time
since you and I were in the
East. How have you been
my friend?

SCIPIO
I spend my days chronicling
the campaigns. I tend to
my vineyards. It is a simple
life, with simple pleasures.

FALCO
How are Fabia and Cornelia?

Scipio takes in a deep breath.

SCIPIO
It has been some time since
I last saw them. They are
both well, I would guess.
Fabia has married again.

Silence hangs over the room. Scipio reaches for a fig but Abraham slaps his hand away and takes it. He bites a small portion, chewing it longingly. Then, he hands it back to Scipio.

FALCO
Does he always taste your food
before you do?

SCIPIO
Always.

FALCO
Why?

SCIPIO
Because he believes that
someone is trying to assassinate
me.



FALCO
(fearful)
Is someone?

Scipio shakes his head and reaches for some grapes, only to have them stolen away by Abraham.

FALCO
How do you tolerate him?

Abraham spits grape seeds across the room and hands the bunch to Scipio

ABRAHAM
I am crazy. I’m not deaf.

Scipio pats him gently on the shoulder.

SCIPIO
Abraham. Leave us.

Abraham rises slowly. Scipio hands him his crutches and helps him gather his cloak. Abraham leans in closely to Scipio, speaking loudly enough for Falco to hear.

ABRAHAM
Don’t eat anything.

SCIPIO
I won’t.

Falco is amused. He snaps his fingers and the Female Slave appears in the doorway.

FALCO
(to Abraham)
I trust you will find your
accommodations comfortable.

Abraham leaves, escorted by the Female Slave. Falco’s face becomes grim.

FALCO
He is loyal.

SCIPIO
He is.


FALCO
And he is your friend.

Falco rises and walks to the window. The rain outside is pouring in streams. A CRASH of thunder breaks the silence.

FALCO
Loyalty. Friendship. These
Things have always been
cherished by you. That is
why I summoned you here.

SCIPIO
Tell me.

FALCO
I need your help. I need
it badly. It began last year.
Women began…dying.

FLASHBACK – EXT ALLEY – NIGHT

PROSTITUTE#1 is laying in a puddle of rainwater and her own blood, her stomach a gory mess. Her throat has been cut and her toga is bloodied and askew.

FALCO (V.O)
The first woman was killed
in the late summer. A street
whore, found only a short
distance from the fort.
Terrible things had been
done to her.

INT RECEPTION ROOM GOVERNOR’S PALACE – NIGHT

SCIPIO
What kind of things?

FALCO
Her stomach had been lain
open.



FLASHBACK – EXT ALLEY – NIGHT

A SOLDIER stands a few paces from the body, vomiting into his hands. Falco stands over Prostitute#1, illuminated by SOLDIERS holding troches. Falco gestures to them, who cover the body with a blanket.

SCIPIO (V.O)
The perpetrator was never
caught?

INT RECEPTION ROOM – GOVERNOR’S PALACE – NIGHT

FALCO
No. The Urban Cohort’s
Investigation is a travesty
They came up with nothing.
Thankfully, the Tribune resigned
before he could be exiled.
But, no one really cares
about one murdered whore, do
they?

Scipio shakes his head as Falco begins to pace.

FALCO
Originally, it was assumed
that a Celt was responsible
for the killing. But now,
I am not so sure.

SCIPIO
A citizen?

FALCO
Perhaps. The nearby
Settlements were searched
and some of the inhabitants
were incarcerated and questioned.
But, the killings continued.
One after another. When the next
was killed, she had been stabbed
more than forty times.




FLASHBACK – EXT DOORWAY – NIGHT

PROSTITUTE#2, older looking is being fiercely slashed in the abdomen by an unseen assailant. Her face is aghast as she screams and her hands are raised defensively.


FALCO (V.O)
She was found at a warehouse
along the Western docks, not
far from her. Within site of
my home.

SCIPIO (V.O)
Who found her?

INT RECEPTION ROOM – GOVERNOR’S PALACE

FALCO
The Foreman did. He was
questioned, but he was no
killer.

SCIPIO
How many women, in total?

FALCO
Eight women.

SCIPIO
Eight?

FALCO
Eight in total. And
all at night. The most recent
victim had been found in
her residence, literally
ripped apart. The others had
been found in the slum areas,
north of here and near the fort.

SCIPIO
Do you suspect a soldier?

FALCO
I don’t know. But, the city
is in a panic.

SCIPIO
So, this is why you have
brought me here.

FALCO
As I said, I am in desperate
need of your help.
(beat)
Hadrian is coming.

SCIPIO
The Emperor? To Britannia.

FALCO
In less than a month.

Falco returns to his seat and pours himself more wine.

FALCO
It is a rather heavy rock that
I find myself pinned beneath. I
have sworn to protect the citizens
and I have failed. The merchants
want my head. And the Emperor is
to be touring my province. Not
to mention my problems with the
Celts.

SCIPIO
What is it you want me to do?

FALCO
Catch this man. Whomever he is.

Scipio stands.

SCIPIO
You can’t be serious. You
need a special investigator
from Rome, not a retired
soldier.

FALCO
You were city prefect in Rome
for four years.

SCIPIO
And that was because of our
friendship. Why me?


FALCO
There was a time when the
name of Publis Corneilius Scipio
inspired fear and respect in
enemies and friends alike.

SCIPIO
Those days are behind me Falco.

FALCO
Are they? Are they so far behind
you that you no longer hear the
crowds cheering your name. You
were a hero of the legions. A
hero of Rome.

Falco steps across the room, standing face to face with Scipio.

SCIPIO
I was a butcher.

FALCO
Must you dwell on those
things that belong in the past?
You were a soldier. You
carried out your orders as a
soldier should. You have
nothing to be ashamed of.
Nor do I.

Scipio turns away.

FALCO
Have you not wondered what
it would be like to have a life
like that again. To be proud
of yourself. To have a family
that is proud and not ashamed…

Scipio turns, his eyes flaring with anger. Falco realizes that he has hit too close to the mark and cowers slightly. Scipio repossess himself.

SCIPIO
I have had a long journey.
(more)
Perhaps this is an issue best
left until morning.

FALCO
Of course.

SCIPIO
Good night. My friend.

Falco watches Scipio depart.

INT. SCIPIO’S BEDROOM – GOVERNOR’S PALACE

Scipio is writing in his journal, seated at the desk facing the window. He hears the SOUND of heavy footsteps and commotion in the hallway and excited CHATTER of voices. Scipio rises from the chair and steps into the hallway.

INT. HALLWAY – GOVERNOR’S PALACE

Falco, flanked by his Aides, steps briskly toward Scipio’s room, appearing ashen and shaken.

SCIPIO
What is it?

FALCO
There has been another.

INT. ABRAHAM’S BEDROOM – GOVERNOR’S PALACE

The Female Slave is astride Abraham, lying beneath her on the bed. Sweat glistens form their nude bodies. She screams with pleasure as she orgasms. Scipio knocks and quickly enters the room. Off guard and embarrassed, he retreats slightly. He clears his throat but it is unheard as the pair continues, moaning wildly.

SCIPIO
Abraham.

They stop instantly. The Female Slave notices Scipio and cringes with fear. Cowering, she pulls the sheet over her body.



SCIPIO
(cont’d)
Get up.

Scipio exits the room, leaving the door ajar.

ABRAHAM
I already was.

INT. ATRIUM – GOVERNOR’S PALACE

Scipio enters the atrium where an argument is underway. Several SOLDIERS are standing with Falco. Among them is BELLISARIUS, a tall, rugged looking man – obviously in command.

BELLISARIUS
My Speculator has been acting
Tribune of the Cohort! I have
offered him to at your
disposal but you have refused –

FALCO
I will not allow the army to
control this investigation.

BELLISARIUS
Nonetheless, you can’t me
blame this on me!

Scipio joins Falco at his side.

FALCO
Ah! Scipio.
(to Bellisarius)
Commander. Allow me to
introduce Publis Cornelius
Scipio. General of the
Eastern legions and former
commander of the Urban
Cohort in Lyon and Rome. He
will be heading up the
investigation from here on
out.

Bellisarius bows slightly.

SCIPIO
And you are?

FALCO
This is the Consul of the
Londinium garrison, Centurion
First Rank Bellisarius.

SCIPIO
Have your men been mustered
to begin the search?

BELLISARIUS
I am not mustering my men
from their beds for the sake
of a mere whore.

 

 

Copyright © 2000 Shaun M. Goldsmith
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"