Dressed In Blood
Richard Evans

 


Dressed In Blood Act 1
By
Richard C. Evans
 
INT. 0FFICE -- NIGHT
The owner of a local junkyard named PHIL is sitting in his office talking to one of his employees. The employee's name is BLACK and he's upset with Phil over a business transaction they've just completed. Phil is looking at a set of photos that Black has given him.
BLACK
(Pointing)
Do you know what I had to do to get those?
BLACK (CONT'D)
This cat's a pervert. I had to hang out where perverts hang out.
PHIL
You owe me money Black. Remember?
BLACK
(Shouting)
That was a favor.
PHIL
Two thousand dollars bail ain't no favor my friend.
PHIL (CONT'D)
Plus I gave you the job as foreman here at the yard.
BLACK
You deal in dirt man. That's why you hired me. I know how to swim in these waters.
PHIL
Let's just say you and I are even.
Black turns and faces a picture of an older man on the wall. It's a picture of Phil's father.
BLACK
You're father knew how to treat his employees.
Phil lights a cigarette. He takes a long slow drag and blows a ring of smoke in the air. A sign above his head reads "I swim With the Sharks". Phil knows he's got Black by the balls and he can't resist letting him know it.
PHIL
If our business transactions should become public knowledge your position as foreman could be in jeopardy as well as your freedom.
(Pauses)
Understand?
BLACK
(Angrily)
Don't fuck with me man.
PHIL
(Smiling)
You're a two-time felon. You're in no position to threaten anyone.
Black heads towards the door.
PHIL (CONT'D)
Close the door on your way out okay?
INT. LOBBY OF PHIL'S OFFICE
LORRAINE, Phil's secretary, is sitting in the lobby. She just got off the phone with her boyfriend MIKE whom she just cancelled a date with. She says goodnight to Black as he passes but he doesn't reply. Lorraine enters Phil's office, walks around to the back of his desk and gently massages Phil's shoulders.
LORRAINE
(Apprehensively)
Will you need me for anything?
PHIL
(Tartly)
No. I'm waiting on a phone call and once that's done I've got an errand to run.
LORRAINE
(Dejectedly)
You work too hard.
PHIL
I'm the only one here who does right?
INT. MOTEL ROOM -- NIGHT -- A FEW DAYS EARLIER
A MAN and a WOMAN are in bed under the covers making love. They finish. He gets dressed. She lights a cigarette. He tosses a few bills on the nightstand. She reaches over, picks up the money and counts it.
WOMAN
This is all I get?
MAN
It's all you’re worth.
WOMAN
(Shouting)
Fuck you!
MAN
You just did.
EXT. MOTEL PARKING LOT -- NIGHT
The man heads to his car, gets in and starts the engine. A WOMAN IN RED approaches. She taps on his car door. The man rolls down his window.
WOMAN IN RED
Got a light?
The man pulls out his lighter and lights her cigarette.
WOMAN IN RED (CONT'D)
How 'bout a date handsome?
MAN
Nope!
WOMAN IN RED
Come on baby.
MAN
Fuck off bitch!
The women in red pulls out a large knife, and cuts the man's throat. The man tries to speak but no words come out. The man slumps over into the passenger seat. He's dead. The woman in red takes a drag on her cigarette and walks slowly into the night.
EXT. A CAR AT A STOP LIGHT -- NIGHT
The silhouette of a woman is seen.
INT. SAME CAR
The woman in red lights a cigarette. A sinister smile appears on her face. The traffic light turns green. She drives slowly through the darkness.
EXT. ANOTHER MOTEL SEVERAL MILES FROM THE OTHER -- NIGHT
The woman in red enters a room in the rear of the motel.
INT. INSIDE THE MOTEL ROOM
The woman in red sits in front of a dresser. She stares into a mirror. A policeman's badge and a semi-automatic handgun are on the dresser. She removes her earrings, her hat and her wig. She laughs out loud. She's a man.
INT. PRESENT AIRPORT BAGGAGE CLAIM AREA -- NIGHT
JOHNNY hangs up the pay phone. He takes a seat, closes his eyes and begins to twitch and jerk. A LITTLE BOY and his MOTHER are watching.
LITTLE BOY'S MOTHER
(Whispering)
Don't stare. He's sick.
Johnny sees the little boy staring at him. Johnny stands and walks towards the men's room.
INT. AIRPORT MEN'S ROOM
Johnny stares in the mirror. He twitches slightly. A toilet flushes. From one of the stalls a man comes out adjusting his trousers. The man heads straight for the door. Johnny lowers his head and sighs.
INT. PHIL'S OFFICE -- NIGHT
Phil is studying the photos he got from Black. A newspaper on his desk shows an article about a man recently found dead in his car. Phil's phone begins to ring. Phil picks up the phone.
PHIL
I've been waiting for you to call.
What Phil tells the other party causes them to scream into the phone. Phil smiles. The other party hangs up. Phil places the photos from Black in an envelope. Phil exits his office, gets in his car and drives down the avenue. A car pulls out from a side street and follows him.
INT. LOCAL DINER -- NIGHT
Phil is flirting with a WAITRESS.
PHIL
Do you have a boyfriend?
WAITRESS
(Vampishly)
Not often enough. What would you like?
PHIL
You, and a burger with fries.
The waitress goes to place Phil's order. After about 10 minutes she comes back with his meal.
PHIL (CONT'D)
That was fast. Do you ever go slowly?
WAITRESS
When the time is right.
Phil finishes his meal, pays his tab and gives the waitress his cell phone number along with instructions to call him later. Phil exits the diner.
INT. A CAR PARKED ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE DINER -- NIGHT
A pair of eyes watches Phil intently.
EXT. A STREET NEAR THE DINER -- NIGHT
Phil cruises by in his car. A late model sedan pulls out from a side street and follows him.
EXT. IN FRONT OF THE AIRPORT TERMINAL -- NIGHT
Johnny is reading his DD214. He stares at the words "dishonorable" under the discharge heading. He checks his watch. He turns to go back inside the terminal. A horn blares loudly. His ride is here. It's Phil.
PHIL
Hey little bro'? It's good to see you.
Johnny open's the passenger side door of Phil's car, sits down and says nothing.
INT. PHIL'S CAR
PHIL
So you finally decided to ditch Uncle Sam's army huh?
JOHNNY
(Angrily)
You're 2 hours late.
PHIL
Actually it's been about 90 minutes. I had business to take care of and it couldn't be helped.
JOHNNY
Bullshit. You like to make people wait for you so you can feel fuckin' superior.
PHIL
So now you're a psychiatrist?
JOHNNY
No, I've got a front row seat to the Phil show.
Phil and Johnny stare at each other for about 2 seconds. Johnny looks away.
JOHNNY (CONT'D)
I'm tired man. I've been on a plane it seems like forever. I just 'wanna go home, see MOTHER and get some rest.
PHIL
Oh yeah that's right a mother. We do have that in common.
(Pauses)
So why did you discharge?
Johnny inhales deeply and exhales slowly. The picture of a young woman dangles from Phil's rearview mirror.
EXT. PHIL'S CAR -- NIGHT
Phil drives off slowly followed by a late model sedan.
EXT. IN FRONT OF PHIL'S MOTHER'S HOUSE -- NIGHT
Phil is talking to someone on his cell phone. He hangs up as he and Johnny approach the front door of their mother's house. The woman from the picture in Phil's car opens the door. She's JULIE, Phil's girl.
PHIL
Hey baby. You look good. Where's mother?
Phil and Julie embrace. Johnny heads straight to the back bedroom. Julie looks puzzled.
JULIE
Is everything okay?
PHIL
He's tired.
INT. DOORWAY TO MOTHER'S BEDROOM
Johnny's MOTHER is lying in bed. Several bottles of pills are laying on the nightstand. She turns to see Johnny standing in the doorway.
MOTHER
(Softly)
You've lost weight.
Johnny embraces his mother. He breathes deeply in her arms.
MOTHER (CONT'D)
(Tearfully)
You look just like your father.
JOHNNY
No mother don't do this to yourself.
MOTHER
Losing him makes me worry even more about you and your brother.
Johnny takes his mother's hand and gazes into her eyes.
MOTHER (CONT'D)
They still don't know who killed him, or why.
JOHNNY
I don't want you to worry. It's not good for your heart.
MOTHER
I'm so proud of you. A war hero in the family. How's your back?
Johnny lowers his head. Mother's eyes follow his movements. Johnny looks at her and begins to speak when Phil and Julie enter the room.
JULIE
It's time to take your heart medicine mother.
Johnny glances at Phil. He motions to Phil that he wants to speak with him in the other room. Julie looks at Johnny out the corner of her eye. Julie gives mother her medicine. Phil and Johnny go to the living room.
INT. MOTHER'S LIVING ROOM
Phil takes a seat on the couch. Johnny stands over him.
JOHNNY
(Sternly)
When did she start calling her mother?
PHIL
Have a seat dude. You're stressing out.
JOHNNY
Does she live here?
PHIL
(Raising his voice)
You've been gone soldier boy. When mother got sick somebody had to take care of her.
JOHNNY
Are you gonna' bring all the girls you sleep with in here to take care of mother?
PHIL
You're jealous. I'm closer to mother than you are. I stuck around to take care of the family. You took off to play war games.
Phil's cell phone begins to ring. He gets up and goes into the kitchen. Julie enters the living room. Johnny heads back to his mother's room.
INT. MOTHER'S BEDROOM
MOTHER
Don't be upset with your brother. I know how he is but he does take care of me.
JOHNNY
You owe him nothing.
Loud voices are coming from the kitchen. Phil and Julie are arguing.
INT. IN THE KITCHEN
JULIE
(Tersely)
Who was that on the phone Phil?
PHIL
It's business baby. It always is.
JULIE
It's Lorraine isn't it? I see how she caters to you.
PHIL
Baby listen.
JULIE
I'm no fool.
PHIL
You've got to trust me woman.
Julie grabs her purse and keys and heads for the front door. Phil tries to stop her but she pushes him aside and leaves. Phil turns around to the glaring eyes of his little brother.
JOHNNY
You haven't changed a bit have you?
PHIL
(Stoically)
She'll be back tomorrow. It's her way of showing how much she loves me. You hungry?
Johnny looks at Phil and shakes his head.
JOHNNY
What about mother?
PHIL
The medicine puts her to sleep. We'll be back before she wakes. I know a place with good food. My treat.
Phil and Johnny exit the house. Phil drives slowly through the neighborhood. From a side street a late model sedan pulls out and follows them.
EXT. PARKING LOT OF DINER -- NIGHT
Phil heads to the same diner he was at earlier. He parks his car. He and Johnny enter the diner and take a seat. The same girl that waited on Phil previously comes to their table. Phil winks at her.
PHIL
What's your pleasure little bro'?
JOHNNY
I'll take the BLT on wheat and a cup of coffee.
PHIL
No apple pie? You love apple pie.
JOHNNY
No thanks.
PHIL
Bring the pie anyway. If he doesn't eat it I will.
WAITRESS
I'll place your order but my shift is over and someone else will bring your food to you.
The waitress goes to place Johnny's order. She then heads to the back of the diner punches out, grabs her purse and exits the diner through a backdoor.
PHIL
I left my cell phone outside. Julie might call. I'll be right back. Dinner's on me.
EXT. PARKING LOT OF DINER -- NIGHT
Phil goes to his car and moves it to a remote spot in the back of the parking lot. The waitress from the diner joins him. They climb into the backseat of the car.
INT. A CAR PARKED ACROSS THE STREET -- NIGHT
A pair of eyes watches Phil's car closely.
INT. DINER
The 2ND WAITRESS brings Johnny his food. While eating he reads a letter his mother wrote him while he was in Iraq.
EXT. PARKING LOT OF THE DINER
The windows on Phil's car are steamed up.
INT. BACKSEAT OF PHIL'S CAR
The waitress is performing fellatio on Phil. Phil closes his eyes and moans slightly. A woman dressed completely in red approaches from an alley. She has a large knife hidden behind her back. She walks to the rear of Phil's car and knocks on the window.
PHIL
(Angrily)
Damn it's my brother.
Phil pulls up his trousers. The fog on the windows prevents him from seeing who it is. There's another knock followed by a policeman's badge pressed against the window.
PHIL (CONT'D)
Shit! It's a cop.
Phil reluctantly rolls down the window. The woman in red sticks her head in the car.
PHIL (CONT'D)
What is this shit?
Phil sees a familiar face.
PHIL (CONT'D)
It's you.
The woman in red slashes Phil's throat and before the waitress can react she suffers the same fate. They both slump over in the backseat dead. The woman in red admires her work and then calmly walks away.
INT. DINER
Johnny finishes his meal. He's reading a letter his mother wrote him while he was in Iraq. The 2nd waitress approaches.
2ND WAITRESS
Will there be anything else?
JOHNNY
How much?
2ND WAITRESS
It's paid for. What should I do with the pie?
Johnny smiles, throws a few bills on the table and exits the diner. He forgets the letter from his mother.
EXT. REAR PARKING LOT OF THE DINER -- NIGHT
Johnny approaches his brother's car. Johnny looks into the backseat and sees his brother and the waitress dead. Johnny takes a few steps backwards and stumbles. A short distance away a semi-automatic weapon is pointing at him.
JOHNNY
(Terrified)
Oh my god.
The 2nd waitress from the diner approaches with Johnny's letter in her hand. The waitress sees Phil and her co-worker dead. The waitress screams repeatedly. The semi-automatic weapon disappears into the darkness. Johnny is so scared he passes out. A police siren can be heard in the distance.

      
      
      

 

 

Copyright © 2008 Richard Evans
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"