Duty Calls (1)
Olurotimi Adeola

 








DUTY CALLS
(The story of the all conquering power of true love)








Written by
Olurotimi Williams Adeola
© 1999







 

PROLOGUE

We all carry these “crosses” of life
Pains, grieves, sorrows, tears… etc
But to hold on to these misfortunes of life
Is to misunderstand the essence of being alive.
- Olurotimi Adeola © 2000

 

INTRODUCTION

Kola and Bisi started like any other (man meet woman) relationship. And it’s obvious they are fond of each other.

But the day, Bisi discovered that Kola is a police officer, everything changed. Her affection for him came crashing.
Kola couldn’t understand the reason(s) for her sudden change of heart. He then tries to find out, but the more he tried, the more difficult she gets.

Months later, an unfortunate event occurred and changes everything. Fortunately, Bisi realized how much Kola truly love her, and how she had foolishly allowed an incident in her ‘past’ to have great influence on her love-life; but is it not too late?



_ This is the story



 


Scene 1
In the evening…
At a club house…
Kola enters the party hand in hand with Bisi; sees his friend sitting at a far corner in the club house; walks up to him…

Segun [one of Kola’s colleague]: Ol’ boy na now you dey come?

Kola: Which kan welcome be this? Atleast if you know wan welcome me, shebi you for welcome my partner, abi?

Segun [apologetically]: Sorry princess, don’t mind our yabis. The name is Segun, what’s yours?

Bisi [smiling]: I’m Bisi.
(Segun about to drag Kola away to a corner)

Segun: Bisi please excuse us, we will be back in a jiffy.

Bisi: No problem.

Segun: (They get to the corner) Kola where did you get this babe, men the babe clean. I think I should doff my hat for you, for this smart choice.

Kola [smiling]: Where is the hat, you want to doff for me? Comedian like you. Well I can’t answer your question today, I assure you we will discuss that tomorrow in the office.

Segun: On a serious note, that girl is beautiful. I will advise you keep her for good.

Kola: I hope to do that too. Anyway thanks for the advice. (Pause) I think we should go back to her before she begins to feel lonely.
(They walk back to Bisi).

Scene 2

In the morning, on a weekend…
Ada (Bisi’s friend) on a visit to Bisi’s house. The house is a simple bungalow and the sitting room is tastely furnished.

Bisi [welcoming her friend]: I thought you wouldn’t make it as you earlier promise.

Ada: There you go again, have I ever promised coming to your place without keeping my words?

Bisi: Come on, don’t get me wrong. I only thought since we closed very late yesterday from the office you might be feeling very weak and would want to use the weekend for a much deserve rest.

Ada: Well, I need the rest quite alright, but I won’t want to miss the gist you promise to tell me today for anything, that’s why I am here.

Bisi: Na wa for you, so na because of the gist make you forget sey your body need rest? With this enthusiasm, I am indeed under compulsion to tell you the gist today.

Ada: Look Bisi, the gist should better be good or else I won’t forgive you for making me miss my well-deserved rest.

Bisi [smiling]: You too do sef, abi I force you come here? (A long pause) The long and short of the gist is that I have gotten a bobo and believe this, this guy is good looking.

Ada: You don’t mean it. Am happy for you O. So when am I going to meet him?

Bisi: Don’t be in a hurry, you will see him very soon. You know I still have to take some time in making my decision about him.

Ada: My dear you better hurry up in making that decision, the truth is that real men are scares to come by these days. Any delay might not be in your favour.

Bisi: I don hear madam adviser, thank you.
(They change their conversation).

Scene 3

Two weeks later…
One morning…
Bisi banging into Ada’s little apartment…
Before Ada could compose herself…

Bisi [in tears]: Do you know Kola is a police officer?

Ada: What? You don’t mean it.

Bisi: Well, I mean every word of it. (Pause) Oh! God, just when I am beginning to believe I have found true love, this unfortunate discovery rears it ugly head.

Ada: I just don’t know what to say. But I thought you would have asked him of his profession during the course of introduction?

Bisi: Honestly, I was carried away by my feelings that I didn’t bother to ask.

Ada [shaking her head]: I still don’t know what to say.

Scene 4
 
In the afternoon, Kola visits Bisi at home. She walk him outside the house…

Kola [to Bisi]: You’ve been avoiding me lately. Is any thing the matter?

Bisi: Kola, please let talk about something else.

Kola: But, why? Why have you been behaving strangely lately? And why did your mum acted the way she did, when I came to your house the other day in police uniform?

Bisi: You are asking too many questions at once. I wonder the kind of answers you expect from me.

Kola [a bit angry]: Bisi, this is no joking matter, why don’t you just tell me what the problem is.

Bisi [visibly angry]: Look Kola, my behaviour or that of my mum is no business of yours, so I see no reason why we should discuss it.

Kola: Well, if you say so, but why have you refused to return my calls or even visit me?

Bisi [still angry]: When has it become a law, that every call or visit you made must be returned?

Kola [shock by her outburst]: But sweet heart, you know deep within you, that it is very much unlike you not to return a call.

Bisi: Since, you are insisting on this line of discussion, I am going back into the house.
(She walks away, and left Kola standing rooted to the ground, too astonish to say or do anything).

Scene 5

[Kola drives back home, meet a friend at his house.
Segun (friend’s name) has been outside the house awaiting Kola’s arrival.

Segun: Na wa for you, Kola. What took you so long?

Kola: Sorry for keeping you waiting. Please lets go in. (Segun notice Kola is sad).

Segun: Kolly, what’s the problem?

Kola: Men, I don’t think I can ever understand this girl.

Segun: Which girl? I mean who are you talking about?

Kola: Who else, Bisi of course, I’m just from her place. You really have to see how she humiliated me.

Segun: Humiliated you? What was your misunderstanding about?

Kola: Honestly, I don’t know what got over her. All I can recall was that things weren’t the same again between us after I visited her house in my uniform. That day, her mother practically walked me out of the house. I actually went to her place today to find out why her mother who have been very supportive of our relationship, suddenly acted the way she did, but to my utmost surprise, Bisi was evasive in her response to my question, instead she became quarrelsome.

Segun: I don’t seem to understand you, Kola. I find it difficult to believe you will allow a lady to take you for a ride the way Bisi is doing. If she is no longer interested in the relationship, why don’t you let her go, after all there are other babes out there for grab.

Kola [Annoyed]: Segun, why do you talk like this. Can’t you understand the fact that I love her? I-I-I mean I am crazy about her.

Segun: Kola, I am sorry, is just that I can’t stand here and watch you hurt yourself over a lady. Well, if you think I am intruding, I am sorry.

Kola: Oh no that’s not what I am thinking, is just that I am in love with her and won’t want to give up on her just yet. Can we go inside. (They enter Kola’s house).

Scene 6

In the afternoon…
Bisi with friend (Ada) at work. Both are bankers. At lunch, they are having a talk.

Bisi: Ada, do you know Kola came to my house yesterday, despite my mum’s warning that he should not come to the house again?

Ada: Tell me something, you mean, after what your mum did to him, he still shows up in your house? But Bisi, I have to be frank with you; I think this guy is in love with you.

Bisi [looking worry]: Now, you are beginning to understand my fears. And of course you know already, there can be no relationship between us, bearing in mind my family deep hatred for the police force over what they did years back.

Ada: Of course, I still remember that bitter experience your family went through. Who can forget such hallowing experience in a hurry? Well thank God the rest of the family is still moving strongly, despite the unfortunate incident.

Bisi: My dear, I still thank God for everything O.

Scene 7

One morning…
Kola on his way to the office. He drives close to a police check-point and sees some junior ranked police officers extorting money from motorists. He gets angry, stop his car and move towards them. Immediately they sight him, they take to their heels, but he is able to catch one of the fleeing men.

Kola [to the policeman he arrested]: Constable, so you are one of those giving the police a bad name?

Constable: Sir, I am sorry, is the devil.

Kola [very angry]: Shut up, my friend. Whenever you people are caught, you always blame the devil for your predicaments.

Constable [on his kneel]: Sir, I promise you, I won’t do it again.

Kola: Is a pity, constable, that you put yourself in this mess. The law must take it course, and you know that, so stop pleading. When you face the disciplinary committee, you can plead before them for clemency.
(He then orders the policeman to enter his car, and drives him to office where he is promptly taken to the cell).

Scene 8

Bisi with Mum (Mrs. Adesina) and her only brother (Lekan) at home.

Mrs. Adesina (Bisi’s mum): Bisi, I thought, I warned you not to allow Kola to come anywhere near this house again?

Bisi: But mum, I didn’t invite him and that was why I was surprised when he came calling. I thought what happened to him the last time he visited, would have discouraged further visit, but he seems undeterred.

Mrs. Adesina: Meaning what? Are you trying to say you cannot stop him from coming here?

Bisi: No, not that mum. All I’m saying is that Kola is a difficult person when it comes to calling it quit in a relationship.

Lekan [her brother]: Look, Bisi, you just have to find a way of stopping Kola from coming to this house. I agree with mum, that his coming to the house brings back the bitter memory of the past. Please tell him to stay off or in the alternative, find another place for him to visit you, instead of this house.

Bisi: Okay, I have heard, I will try all I can to stop him from coming here.

Scene 9

One weekend…
In the afternoon…
Kola visits his auntie at home…
In his auntie sparsely furnished living room, they are having a discussion…

Aunty Funke: To say the least, I am surprised by your visit today.

Kola: A..ah! Auntie why you do talk like this? Your know I would have love to visit you daily, but my job is a twenty-four thing, and that makes it impossible for me to have any spare time for visiting.

Aunty Funke [smiling]: Now your defense has confirmed my earlier claim that one hardly sees you around.

Kola: Auntie, you are just impossible. But don’t worry I will make it up to you when I retire.

Aunty Funke: Just hear yourself, you mean I will have to wait for your retirement from the police force, before I will be able to see you as constantly as I would have love to? I only hope your would be wife will agree with that strange arrangement.
(Just then Kola’s walkie talkie starts relaying a message; the massage is alerting officers and men of the force of a robbery operation and also informing them of the movement of the robbers in their get away car and the position of the pursuing police vehicles).

Kola: Auntie, I am sorry but I have to leave now. I will try and visit next weekend.

Aunty Funke [alarm]: Kola I hope you are not going to join in the pursue of the robbers?

Kola: Auntie you worry unnecessarily, like I say I will see you next week.
(He hugs her and leaves).

Scene 10

Kola goes shopping and meets Ada (Bisi’s friend) at the supermarket.

Kola: Hi, been a long time.

Ada: You can say that again, when last did you ask after me.

Kola: Come on, I always ask after you whenever Bisi and I meet, maybe she only forget to extend my regards. So how is your friend?

Ada [surprised]: I thought you’ve been seeing her. All the same, she is fine.

Kola [shocked by her statement]: Ada, are you saying you do not know how your friend has been making things difficult for me lately?

Ada: Well I won’t say I don’t know that your relationship have been going through some difficult times. But Kola maybe you don’t understand her, she could have reasons for her strange behaviours, you know? I think you should be patience with her for a while, I believe things will surely sort themselves out.

Kola: That’s a nice idea, I will do just that, thanks. Are you going my way?

Ada: No, I am going through the opposite direction, thanks.
(Kola enters his car and zooms off).

Scene 11

Kola drove to straight to Segun’s house from the supermarket.

Segun: Kolly, how far? I rang your home some minutes back and no one pick the phone.

Kola: I’ve been out shopping. And how are you too.

Segun: Fine, just fine.

Kola: I met Bisi’s friend (Ada), when I was coming out from the supermarket. In fact she told me some home truths and I intend putting them into practice.

Segun: Can you give me an insight into what she said?

Kola: Well she simply advised that I should exercise some patience with Bisi, because she believes things will sort themselves out on the long run.

Scene 12

At the police station….

Sergeant: Corporal Tim, I heard sey some officers don enter trouble.

Corporal Tim: Na so I hear too, in fact na Corporal Okoro, I pity pass, because na only twelve days ago the wife born three pickins for am.

Sergeant: E-whoo, who go come take care of these pickins them, if their papa lose work? Just see the kind trouble wey some men dey put themselves. Instead make them leave corruption for our roads; na lie, them no go hear. Now see, na oga patapata arrest them, himself, and of course no solution na sack straight.

Corporal Tim: Na true O, make God just dey help us for this work O.

Scene 13

Kola visits Bisi at the Bank, where she works. Meet them (Bisi and Ada) on their way out for lunch, and decide to join them for lunch.
After taking their seats in the restaurant, Ada excuses herself to join her other colleagues at the other end of the restaurant.

Kola: Bisi, what do you want me to order for you?

Bisi: Don’t bother, I am a regular customer here, and they know what I eat anyway, so I don’t need to make orders.

Kola: Well, if that’s the case, then I want the same meal as yours.

Bisi: Suit yourself. But I must not forget to say, you surprised me by coming to my office, I hope no problem.

Kola: Come off it, must a man have problem before visiting his love one.

Bisi: That’s a man who has a love one, but I don’t think you have a love one here, or maybe I don’t know who she is?
(The waiters brought their meals).

Kola [continued]: Why are you acting strange lately, is there any wrong I have done towards you?

Bisi: Please don’t pester me with questions, because I wouldn’t answers them.

Kola: There you go again, evading questions.

Bisi: Look Kola, I don’t know what you want from me.
 
Kola: Oh! So you are trying to say you don’t know that I’m deeply in love with you?

Bisi [angry]: And are you also ignorant of the fact that I can never consent to an affair with you?

Kola [in soft tone]: But, Bisi why?

Bisi: I don’t know.

Kola: Is there someone else in your life? Or do you think I am not rich enough to take care of you? Probably due to my background, because I am not from a wealthy home?

Bisi is angry at the statements made by Kola; she splashes the water in her drinking glass on his face. And walks out of the restaurant.
(Kola in shock quietly walks out of the restaurant).

Scene 14

In the morning…
At the office…
The Divisional Police Officer of the police station where Kola is serving, call for him.
Kola enters his office (saluting)…

DPO: Please sit down ASP. (Pointing at a chair)

Kola: (sitting down) Thank you sir.

DPO: I know by now you will be surprise on why I called you into my office. Well I called you to inform you of a development, the Police Commissioner rang my office in the evening yesterday, and he said you’ve been assigned to head the newly established Anti-robbery squad in the state. You were asked to report at the state headquarter tomorrow for further briefing. I congratulate you on behalf of everyone in this unit and I wish you the best in your new posting.

Kola: Thank you sir. (Salute and leaves the office).


Scene 15

Kola coming out church, and on his way out (after service), he sees Bisi coming out too. He stop for her to catch up with him, instead she walks pass.

Kola: Bisi, hi.
(No response)

Kola [gets closer to her]: I’m sorry for what happened the other day.
(Bisi pretend not to hear and move on).
(Kola moves to his car and enters; on the wheel he remembers what happened the day he went to Bisi’s house in uniform…(Flash back)
Just as he enters the living room of Bisi’s house, there was a sudden silent.
Then after what look like eternity, Bisi’s mum finally spoke…

Bisi’s Mum: Are you in the police force?

Kola [innocently]: Yes ma that’s my profession.

Bisi’s Mum: My God, to think that we’ve been receiving you well in this house without a prior knowledge that you are an enemy.

Kola: (Shock) Ma, I don’t understand. Have I done anything wrong?

Bisi’s Mum: Yes Kola, you’ve done a great damage to the family, please I don’t want to see you in this house again.

Kola: But, I still… (Cut short)

Bisi’s Mum: Kola leave now, before I lose my cool.
(Kola looks towards Bisi and her brother for help, but they both turn their faces to the other side. Kola then excuses himself and left).
… Back to the wheel, Kola simply shakes his head and continues driving).

Scene 16

Kola and Segun visit Bisi at home.
Bisi is watching the telly, when she hears the doorbell rings.

Bisi: Come in. The door is open.
(Kola and Segun enter, and it’s obvious from the look on her face, they were the last people she expects).

Kola: Hello Bisi, we just came on a visit to your neighbourhood and decide to call on you.

Bisi [flare up]: I have warned you before never to step your feet in this house again. Can’t you just take ‘no’ for an answer and let me be?

 

 

Go to part:2  3 

 

 

Copyright © 1999 Olurotimi Adeola
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"