The House Of Self
Nicole Padykula

 

                                 Cast of Characters

1st mother: mother to Amelia

2nd mother: mother to Jacob                           

Amelia: Daydreamer. imaginative.  She is about fourteen

Jacob: agresssive, bold.Right to the point. He is also about fourteen

Priest                                                           

Mary                                                             

Sally                                                              

Johnny

Stepmother: She is preoccupied with herself

Servant

1st boy

2nd boy

 

Notes: this is a love story



                                    Act One

                                 Scene One

(Lights up to reveal two women, Ist MOTHER and 2nd MOTHER , busily in labor, their bedsides side by side. They're in a mental hospital for the terminally ill. They are restrained to their beds.It's evening.)

                                    1875

 1st MOTHER

I am so happy. I shall disrobe this little angel of the sun and wrap her in its golden streams.If it's a girl..I will name her.. Amelia.

2nd MOTHER

(talking at a fast pace, flushed and happy like the 1st)

Oh my sweet bosom friend. I hope my child is a girl too so they can both play in their Easter Sunday dresses together, if not..I will name him...Jacob

                                Scene TWO

( a hall of young children , sick and coughing ,some shouting,restrained to their beds. A nun comes in and out.)

MARY

Let me out of here! Oh let me out! I have cancer and I'm dying!

NUN

You hush up Mary or I'll put you somewhere away from your friends!

MARY

(spits in her face)

Go to fucking hell!

NuN

You watch that language, young lady!

MARY

oh why do they keep us here strapped to our beds like this? We didn't do anything wrong.

SALLY

Psst! Mary . I have an idea My little brother, Johnny, has some matches in his pocket. Hey , wake up Johnny. Johnny-

Johnny

huh?What?

SALLY

Johnny. Burn the leather off your wrists with the matches . I know you can do it.

JOHNNY

What do you mean?

SALLY

C'mon .. Just do it.

(Johnny manages to shake the matches out of his pants pocket. He lights the match. Children watch , some smiling and giggling. Suddenly the leather burns and the restraints come off.)

SALLY

Quick! Quick! Let me out!

Johnny helps her.

CHILDREN IN UNISON

Let us out! Let us out! Let us out!....

Johnny helps everybody

 CHILDREN IN UNISON

We are free! We are free! We are free! Yay!

                                 Scene Three

( A priest and nun are by the womens' bedsides)

1st MOTHER

Well, this is it at last.

NUN

Push...push

2nd MOTHER

I never thought the time would come.

1st MOTHER

I'm so happy I met you

NUN

push...

1st MOTHER

Oh my Lord..It's a girl! It's a girl!

2nd MOTHER

And mine's a boy! A little boy!

(The cieling crashes through. 2nd MOTHER gets crushed. The priest grabs the baby boy and blesses him.)

1st MOTHER

(hysterical)

Oh my God! I have to get out of here!

( She wresles against her restraints and they come undone. She runs around the hospital, hearing faint screams from all around)

1st MOTHER

I promise you Amelia. We'll make it. We'll make it.Oh I'm so frightened. We'll have a horse and carriage and plenty of maids and horses and you'll have all the dolls on earth to play with. We just have to get out of here.Your life will be wonderful..I promise(sniffling and weeping).

1st MOTHER

Oh it's so smoky and dark in here,I can't see a thing . Oh don't worry. Soon we'll be outside in the fresh air. I love you princess Amelia.(crying) I don't think I'm going to make it too much longer (coughing).

                                    Scene Four

PRIEST

Did you do this young man? ( to Johnny).

Did you start this fire?

JOHNNY

Yes..i'm sorry.

PRIEST

(slapping the boy)

May you rot in hell, boy!

(The priest pushes Johnny out the window. The next morning the nun drops a wicker basket on the doorstep of a mansion. Baby Amelia is inside it.)

                               Scene Five

                                  1890

(Amelia stands in a flower garden, innocently watering her plants and flowers. She is humming to herself. She is about fourteen.)

AMELIA

(reciting)

A word is dead when it is said. Some say it just begins to live that day.

Oh you look so dry and thirsty Azelia. Did you know Azelia rhymes with Amelia?

1st BOY

Amelia rots!

2nd BOY

Why do you talk to flowers , Amelia?

AMELIA

I don't know why I do. Could you please go away and leave us be. We're just talking is all.

BOYS LAUGHING

Just talking! Just talking ! How about that. We're just talking.

(the boys leave.)

AMELIA

They don't understand is all . They don't know That their words hurt you, Azelia. It's alright.

                                  SCENE SIX

(Amelia has a table set up with her stuffed animals and some fine china. She sits in a huge, lonely room inside the mansion..)

AMELIA

How is your tea, Mr.Elephant? You haven't even twirled your trunk yet. I guess it's not to your liking.And Mr. Mouse don't you like your cheese? Very rare to see that cheese, Mr.Mouse.. let us read from Ms. Dickinson now (opening a book)

The grave my little cottage is where keeping house for thee I make me parlor orderly and lay the marble tea.

Let's play The Princess and the pea Bo Bo(her imaginary friend).

(She stacks a group of pillows very high and clumsily makes it to the top,realizing something.)

AMELIA

Oh no Bo Bo. I forgot the pea.

STEPMOTHER

Amelia! Get down from there! It's time for supper!

                           SCENE SEVEN

 STEPMOTHER

How do you like the veal, Amelia?

AMELIA

It was good. Can I leave now?

STEPMOTHER
No you may not. You're not finished. Such a finicky eater you are. Servant?

SERVANT

Yes,ma'am?

STEPMOTHER

Please bring out the rum raisin pudding.

AMELIA

But mother, I don't want any rum raisin pudding

STEPMOTHER

Shush up. You'll love it.. Servant , please bring some eggnog to the table.You love eggnog , don't you?

AMELIA

Only around Christmas.

STEPMOTHER

Then go to your room, Amelia. But don't think I'm not disappointed in you. We hired such a good cook and you don't even show your appreciation. Please leave.

AMELIA

Okay.

                                    SCENE EIGHT

(Late afternoon,during school)

TEACHER

Amelia recieved a perfect A for her paper on the caterpiller and the earthworm Everyone clap!

(Everyone claps)

JAMES

Oh Amelia, you are so beautiful.

AMELIA

Oh I am, James. What do you want?

JAMES

Just let me into your room.Just one glorious, immortal moment with you. I;ll hold your books and walk you home.

AMELIA

Oh okay

                             SCENE TEN

(James and Amelia are in her room.Amelia is clearly nervous.)

JAMES

I loved your paper. your words are so eloquent and so poetic.

AMELIA

Did you really?

.JAMES

Yes dearest, i did

( he leans over and touches her leg)

AMELIA

Why did you touch me there?

JAMES

Why? Hasn't a boy ever touched you? or kissed you?

(He leans over towards her lips. A loud animal - like noise comes from the corner of the room.)

JAMES

What was that noise?

 

AMELIA

What noise?

(noise again)

AMELIA

oh that's just my friend Bob Bo.

JAMES

(frightened)

Who?

AmELIA

Bo Bo. He sleeps in my underwear drawer.

JAMES

I'm leaving!

                               SCENE TWELVE

(Amelia is reading something, weeping softly to herself)

AMELIA

Your mother is the towntramp . She's not what she seems. Oh Bo Bo . I've read it over and over and I can't believe it. What should I do?

STEPMOTHER

Amelia! Get out of Your fancies! It's time to eat!

AMELIA

Are you my real mother?

STEPMOTHER

What makes you say that. Eat your string beans. Your food is getting cold.

AMELIA

You're not, are you.

STEPMOTHER

Honestly,Amelia. You should know the truth.

AMELIA

Well then,what is the truth?

STEPMOTHER
The truth is if you don't eat your dinner you won't get any desert so eat-"

(Amelia starts to cry)

STEPMOTHER

What's wrong? Why are you crying?

(She cries harder.)

STEPMOTHER

I don't know what's upsetting you so. Maybe if you eat you'll calm down Hmmm. This food tastes so funny. Servant!

SERVANT

Yes,ma'am?

STEPMOTHER

Can you bring me another plate of-"

(Just then the stepmother faints in her chair.Amelia rushes to her side.)

SERVANT

What happened?

AMELIA

I'm sorry. Please,please forgive me mother. I put rat poison in your food. I'm really,really ...sorry.

                                      ACT TWO

                                SCENE THIRTEEN

 

(Amelia is in a dark,foul-smelling room.)

AMELIA

What are you doing to me?

NURSE

Just strapping you into your bed.

AMELIA

Where am I? What's that smell? Bo Bo , Bo Bo -where are you?.

NURSE

Calm down. (taking her teddy bear) Here there is no Bo Bo.

(Amelia is alone in the dark)

AMELIA

I'm so scared. Where am I ?What's that smell?

(heavy breathing)

AMELIA

Is someone there?

(Louder heavy breathing)

AMELIA

Please may I see you or talk to you? I don't even know your name!

(Lights up to reveal the decrepid body of a man who's practically a skeleton -bones and rags. He is held down by a ball and chain.)

BODY

Have you seen the morgue in the basement?

(Amelia screams. Screams of torture and pain follow her into the morning.)

                               

                                SCENE FOURTEEN

AMELIA

I had a terrible night, nurse.Where was I?

NURSE

(laughing)I don't know Amelia.Where

were you?

AMELIA

Wow. You don't even know. It was horrible. I was with a man or maybe he wasn't a man. I don't even think he was alive.. Well , I guess it didn't happen.

NURSE

Follow me,Amelia.It's time for your bath.

 

                                  SCENE FIFTEEN

(Light's centered on a tub. Amelia sits in a stark white, porcelain bathtub.A radiator drones onincessantly. The atmosphere is chilling. Amelia hums to herself to lighten up the mood.)

(suddenly a human form jumps into the tub with her.)

JACOB

Don't be afraid.

AMELIA

Please..don't hurt me.

JACOB

I won't hurt you. My you are beautiful. So timid. So strange. I've never seen anything like you before. Please tell me .What is your name..

AMELIA

Who are you?

JACOB

Jacob.MayI hold your hand. So delicate.

AMELIA

Haven't you ever seen a girl before?

JACOB

Yes. But I've never really seen one until now. You are so precious. Please don't be scared. I'm not violent. I'm not insane. Just smitten .

(He reaches over and touches her cheek gently)

AMELIA

I don't understand. How come you've never seen a girl before? How long have you been in this hospital?

JACOB

Oh put it past you  now. Please tell me your name.

AMELIA

Amelia.

JACOB

Amelia...why are you here...Amelia?

AMELIA

They put me away.

JACOB

For no reason?

AMELIA

No. I killed my mother. But she wasn't my real mother. My real mother's dead.

JACOB

Oh what a tragedy Kind of like Shakespeare. Do you read Shakespeare?

AMELIA

I read Emily Dickinson.

JACOB

Recite something by her please.

AMELIA

Oh i can't

JACOB

Yes you can.

AMELIA

I died for beauty but was scarce adjusted in the tomb, when one who died for truth was lain in an adjoing room. He questioned softly why I failed?

"For beauty," I replied."And I for truth - the two are one; we brethren are" He said.

And so as kinsmen meta night we talked between the rooms, until the moss had reached our lips and covered up our names..

JACOB (breathing heavily)

I'm going to make you immortal.

AMELIA

(breathless)

You are?

JACOB

(pealing off his clothes)

Yes.

(Their young,soft, virgin moans echo through the stillness and the scarcity of light in the room.)

                                    SCENE SIXTEEN

(Amelia and Jacob are alone in a room.Fully clothed.)

AMELIA

Can I ask you something?

JACOB

Yes. Anything.

AMELIA

Why are you here?

JACOB

Oh I guess I'm running from something.

AMELIA

Oh is someone chasing you?

JACOB

It's like this. It's like I have vision and the rest of the world wears rose - colored glasses.I know the truth. Well, I guess I'm looking for it. So what are YOU running from?

(Amelia begins to speak. Before she can speak, Jaco kisses her.)

JACOB

There's a dance tonight.

AMELIA

Oh?

JACOB

Yes . A romantic dance for us nuts I guess. The hospital staff is putting it on. Could I escort you to it?

AMELIA

You mean be your date?

(Jacob nods.)

AMELIA

Oh yes Jacob (Squealing) My first dance! (standing up) oh what shall I wear? I want to look pretty. Maybe the'y'll give me makeup to put on.

JACOB

Wear something pink.

AMELIA

I feel like I'm glowing!

JACOB

You're so beautiful. So charming. So..odd. So sweet. I think I want to marry you.

AMELIA

You what?

JACOB

I said I'm going to marry you.Oh Amelia don't blush.

AMELIA

But Jacob. aren't we commited here?

JACOB

Yes, but why should we let that stand in our way?

AMELIA

Oh Jacob! Oh..why can't all of life be like this? ( weeping)

JACOB

I'll show you wear the priest is. There's a ring there and everything. I really want this for us, Amelia.You'll have a beautiful dress, a stunning dress and everything will be perfect I promise.

                                    SCENE SEVENTEEN

(the dance. All the patients look out of it. They dance mostly in rags. Jacob walks in wearing a tuxedo . Amelia walks in from the other half of the room. She's wearing a long , flowing , pink dress. They walk slowly towards each other dazed by the other's beauty. They can't keep their eyes off each other.)

JACOB

(shyly)

Here. I brought you this.

(he ties a corsage to her dress.)

JACOB

(sighing loudly)

You look so radiant.

AMELIA

Let's dance. I've never danced before.

JACOB

Just follow me. See? Don't worry. You're doing fine. So tell me something. Where did you live before?

AMELIA

I lived in a great big mansion.. We had servants,maids and cooks.

JACOB

Wow.Did you feel like a princess?

AMELIA

not really. But I've always wanted to be a princess. I never wore a crown and I never had a prince.

JACOB

I bet you would've liked a whole kingdom,huh?

AMELIA

It never struck me silly for a schoolgirl to want such things instead of writing silly stories about such places.

JACOB

That's okay. I worked hard all my life for my father shining shoes before he passed away. I never got one cent just supper if I was good. My mother died in a fire when I was an infant.

AMELIA

I don't really need a kingdom,Jacob. I already have my prince.

JACOB

Where?

AMELIA

Right here.

(they kiss)

JACOB

But it isn't sufficient,is it?

(Amelia looks into his eyes)

JACOB

You are running Amelia. Is it a human? One of the servants?

 

                                SCENE EIGHTEEN

(Jacob grabs her hand. They start running.)

AMELIA

Where are we going,Jacob?

JACOB

Don't look behind you.Just look ahead.

AMELIA

Why? I'm so afraid. Please don't let go of my hand.

JACOB

I won't let go.

AMELIA

I hear footsteps.

JACOB

Just run. It's nothing. Don't be afraid, darling.

AMELIA

But I'm going to fall.

JACOB

Don't say that. or you certainly will.

AMELIA

Oh god. Please don't let go of me-

JACOB

I will never let you go Amelia, I will never let you go -

                                  SCENE NINETEEN

(Inside an abandoned church)

AMELIA

I love you Jacob. Where are we?

JACOB

I love you too , my sweetheart. We were meant to be together. Don't you know that? Open your eyes. Isn't it beautiful?

AMELIA

Oh Jacob it's gorgeous! I love it! But where's the priest?

JACOB

Isn't it everything you've always wanted?

AMELIA

What's that noise?


JACOB

Oh I don't hear anything.

( Someone with a gun enters the church. Jacob shields Amelia from himlTeary - eyed he wraps his hands around her neck. She falls into a casket. He turns and is shot. They lie together , arms entwined.)

AMELIA (o/s)

He questioned softly why I failed? For beauty -

JACOB (o/s)

And I for truth - the two are one - we brethren are."

AMELIA AND JACOB (o/s)

And so as kinsmen meta night, we talked between the rooms, until the moss had reached our lips and covered up our names.

 

THE END.

 

 

Copyright © 2003 Nicole Padykula
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"