Her In The Room Upstairs. (1)
Terry Collett

 

All furniture is symbolic in each room. The table and three chairs represent the dinning room. A sofa represents the lounge and a bed represents a bedroom.



                 Act One. Scene One.

A table and three chairs lower centre stage. A white tablecloth. A teapot, two cups and saucers, sugar bowl, milk jug, plates, knives and forks on top. Upper stage left a door to passageway. Upper stage right a door to kitchen. Lower stage right a window with black curtains drawn back. The room is dim except around the table where Sydney sits at the table reading a newspaper. He is about thirty with short dark hair and wearing old trousers and white opened necked shirt. He holds out the paper as he turns a page. Opposite him is his wife, Violet. She is slim with long brown hair tied in bunches. She is wearing a grey dress with short sleeves.

Violet: I was always told it was bad manners to read at the table. (Pours some tea into her cup. She looks at her husband. Pours some milk from the jug into her cup and then puts it down on the table.)My father never did it. He never read at the table. (Spoons sugar into her cup and stirs.)He was a gentleman. He knew his manners. (Stares at the newspaper.)My mother wouldn�t have married him if hadn�t have been a gentleman. (Sips her tea holding her little finger out as she sips.)There�s a time and place for everything my mother said. (Sydney folds the paper and continues reading.)A time and a place. (Sips her tea again.)Each thing has its place, she said.

Sydney: There�s been a murder round the corner.

Violet: What? (Looks at the newspaper.)Murder?

Sydney: That�s what it says here. (Turns the newspaper around to show Violet.)This bit here. (Points it out.)Some bloke had his head bashed in.

Violet: Does it say he had his head bashed in?

Sydney: Not in so many words, but that�s what it means. (Looks at Violet as she reads the page across the table.)

Violet: Says here head injuries. How did you get head bashed in from that? (Pushes the paper away from her and sips her tea.)

Sydney: You have to interpret these things for yourself. It�s only words anyway. Words are words.

Violet: Wonder do did it? (Looks at Sydney.)Might be someone local.

Sydney: Might be someone from elsewhere. (Turns over the page.)You can�t tell. Might be from anywhere.

Violet: Anyone we know?
Sydney: What do you mean anyone we know? What the murderer or the poor bugger done in?

Violet: The person murdered. Is it anyone we know?

Sydney: No one I know. I don�t know who you know. (Holds the paper out as he turns the page.)How do I know who you know? You know more people than I do, because you talk to more people than I do. You�re always talking to people. You can�t walk down the street without talking to some bugger. (Pause.)I bet you were like that when you were born. I bet you chatted up the blooming doctor and midwife on your way out.

Violet: Why do you have to be so crude? You�re always crude you are. Can�t open your mouth without being crude. Anyway it�s whom I know, not who. Whom I know. (Pause. Sips her tea.)Your tea�s getting cold. (Looks at the newspaper.)I might know him by sight.

Sydney: Who? (Lowers the newspaper.)Who you talking about, now?

Violet: The man murdered. I might know him by sight.

Sydney: So what? What�s it matter if you know him or not? Unless you done him in, of course. (Looks at his wife with a small grin.)Did you?

Violet: Did I what?

Sydney: Murder the bloke round the corner?

Violet: Of course I didn�t. What you take me for? I just said I might know him by sight. (Sips her tea.)One sees people everyday. I might have seen him. You never know whom you pass in the street. Could have seen him.

Sydney :( Puts down the newspaper on the table and sips his tea.)What�s it matter if you knew him or not? The blighter�s dead now. (Pause. Looks at Violet.)How long has that advert been in the corner shop?

Violet: What advert?

Sydney: The one about the spare room.

Violet: Only a day or so.

Sydney: Thought we�d have heard by now.
Violet: It�s hardly Buckingham Palace is it. People round here know these places. Have to wait a week or two. Don�t cost much to leave it in his window for a few more weeks. (Pause. Sydney looks at the newspaper on the table.)Might be a gentleman that wants it.

Sydney: Or some woman looking for digs. (Lifts the newspaper again.)

Violet: What would a woman want with a room on her own? Unless she�s up to no good. Or her husband�s thrown her out.

Sydney: Might be a young girl just left home.

Violet: I�m not happy about another female being here.

Sydney: What? Don�t you trust me to behave me self?

Violet: Men can be tempted. A pretty woman in the house stirs passions.

Sydney: Can�t say I remember any of that.

Violet: Not sure if it�s a good idea, that�s all I�m saying. (Pause. Sips her tea.)

Sydney: Woman or bloke, the money�ll come in handy.

Violet: Well. It makes sense. A room empty. Might as well let it out for money as sit there empty. Can�t see the point in that.

Sydney :( Finishes his tea and picks up the newspaper.)Right. I�m off. Don�t forget to get those screws I asked for. That blooming shelf won�t stay up there much longer without more screws.

Violet: I won�t forget. (Looks at Sydney.)What about the room?

Sydney: What about it?

Violet: What if a man comes? Do I let him have it?

Sydney: Have what?

Violet: The room, of course. What did you think I meant?

Sydney: Never mind. Tell whoever comes to come back this evening when I�m home. Best see him or her together so we can make up our minds together.

Violet: All right, if you say so. What don�t you trust me or something?

Sydney: I trust you; it�s them I don�t trust. (Pause. Knock at the outer door.) Someone at the door.

Violet: Who can that be this time of the morning?

Sydney: Well go, look, and find out.

Violet: Don�t shift your bloody legs will you? Leave it to me as usual. (Goes upstage to the door and goes out. Sydney puts the newspaper under his arm and picks up his jacket from the other chair. Voices are heard offstage. He walks to the window and looks out. He puts on his jacket.)

Sydney: Yak yak, that�s all she does from dawn to dusk. (Pause.)Her mother�s the same. Talk, talk, talk. Enough to give you the pip. No wonder her old man was away for months on end. (Door opens upstage and Violet enters followed by a young woman with short blonde hair wearing a brown coat and black dress. They walk downstage towards the table.)
Violet: This young woman is interested in renting our room, Sydney.

Sydney: Oh, right. (Looks at the young woman. The young woman looks shyly around the room.)Well, what do you think, Vi?

Violet: Up to you, Sydney. I don�t mind. (Looks at the woman.)Would you like to see the room, Miss?

Sally: Sally Magfish is the name.

Violet: I�m Violet Tuckbrush and this is my husband, Sydney Tuckbrush.

Sydney: How do you do, Sally.

Sally: I�d like to see the room, if I may.

Violet: Of course. (Looks at Sydney.)I�ll show Miss Magfish her room then Sydney, if you want to get off to work.

Sydney: Right, yes. Well, nice to have met you. Hope you like the room.

Violet: All right if Miss Magfish has the room then, if she likes it?

Sydney: Yes, of course she can, if she wants it.

Sally: I�ll have a look, then. (Looks at Sydney shyly.)And maybe see you later, Sydney.

Sydney: Yes, that�ll be nice. See you later then, maybe, if you like the room, Sally. (He watches as Sally and Violet go upstage and leave the room.)Wow. Nice looker. Not a bad figure either. Bit shy, but that don�t matter none. (Pause.)Wonder where she�s from? (Pause.)Bet she won�t like it here once she hears about that murder round the corner. Shame. (Pause.)Brighten the house up a bit she will. (Pause. Looks around the room.)Hope she likes the place. Nice to have a bit of company. (Smiles to himself.)Can�t have too much of a good thing. Looking can�t harm anyone. A welcome sight she is. (Moves upstage and goes out by the door. The room is silent for a minute or so. The door opens and the two women enter.)

Violet: He�s gone.

Sally: The room�s fine. I�ll take it if I may.

Violet: You sure?

Sally: Yes, it�s just what I was looking for.

Violet: Well, you can move in when you want.

Sally: I�ll bring my stuff this evening, if that�s all right?

Violet: Yes, that�ll be fine. Do you have much to bring?

Sally: No, not very much. (Pause.)Tonight, then.

Violet: Right. (They both look around the room for few moments then they move back upstage and stand by the door.)I do dinner about half six.

Sally: I�ll be here before that. See you then. (They go out the door. The room is silent.)

              End of Scene One.

              Act One. Scene Two.
Later in the day. The room is dull, lit only over a large brown sofa lower centre stage. Lower stage left window with blue curtains tied back. Upstage right, a door in to passageway. Violet is standing by the window peering out. She is holding a book behind her back. She looks for a few minutes, then walks downstage to the edge of the stage and looks out over the auditorium.

Violet: I�m a bit nervous about letting the room upstairs, but we need the extra money. Mrs Ganstrong said at the butchers this morning that the man who was murdered around the corner was a clerk in the City. Nothing big, just an ordinary clerk. �Kept himself to himself,� she said. �Not seen him about much.� If she doesn�t know much about him, he must have been a loner or a blooming hermit. (Pause.)Sydney doesn�t have much to do with the people round here. He said they�re a common lot. Always wanting to know your business. But they�re more his type than mine. I was born and lived in West London, until the War, then I was sent out to an aunt in Kent for six years. (Pause.) I couldn�t believe what had happened to London while I�d been away. The bombsites. The places I�d known gone. The people spread about or dead. I met Sydney at a dance in 1946 and we got married the same year much to my parent�s annoyance. (Pause.)Marry in haste, relent in leisure, they say. Seems to be true to me at times. Sydney and I aren�t so close now. He has his interests and I have mine. He wanted children, I didn�t. He wanted to live in Bermondsey where his family live, I didn�t. Therefore, we live here and neither of us is happy about it. (Pause. A knock off stage. Violet walks to the window and peers out.)It�s her, I think. I hope she settles in. Seems strange having another woman about the place. (Walks upstage to the door and goes out. Voices in the hall. After a few moments, Violet enters followed by Sally. They walk downstage to the sofa and stand looking at each other.)

Violet: You found your way back here all right, then?

Sally: Yes. I�ve got my stuff. Not much of it.

Violet: I see there isn�t. Do you have some stored somewhere or is that all you have?

Sally: All I�ve got now. I lost some of my stuff last year.

Violet: Oh, I see. (Pause.)Do you come from this area?

Sally: No. (Pause.)Can I unpack my stuff?

Violet: Yes, of course. (Pause.)Would you like a cup of tea?

Sally: Later, perhaps. (Looks around the room.)Can I come in here sometimes?

Violet: Yes, I�m sure Sydney wouldn�t mind. We don�t have a television. We listen to the radio in the evenings. Sydney likes the radio. Says it leaves more to the imagination.

Sally: I won�t be a nuisance. I just thought it�d be relaxing to sit in here now and again. If you don�t mind. I don�t want to be pushy.

Violet: No, it should be all right. I�ll see what Sydney says.

Sally: Have you been married long?

Violet: Ten years, this September.

Sally: No children?

Violet: No. (Pause.)We didn�t�

Sally: Sorry, it�s me being bloody nosey. I can�t get out of the habit of being nosey. I know it�s rude. Sorry. My Mum says I shouldn�t be so pushy.

Violet: No, it�s all right. We didn�t want children, well not just yet.

Sally: Not everyone�s choice. I was one of six. Crowded out the house we did. Couldn�t wait to get out and find my own space.

Violet: Sydney should be home soon. I usually get dinner once he�s home.

Sally: I�ll go to my room, let you get on.

Violet: I hope the room will suit you.

Sally: It looked all right. (Pause. Looks at Violet.)Do you work?

Violet: No. Sydney doesn�t think I should go out to work. Says he should support me. He don�t believe in wives working.

Sally: Ought to find myself a husband like that.

Violet: Do you work? I didn�t ask you this morning.

Sally: Yes. (Pause.)Right, I�ll get unpacked. Will you call me when dinner�s ready?

Violet: Yes, if that�s all right? I wasn�t sure if you wanted to eat with us or if you preferred�

Sally: That�s all right. I don�t mind if you and Sydney don�t mind. I mean I could eat out if you wanted me to.

Violet: No, of course not. A room with meals was what we advertised. Can�t have you forking out for meals as well can we?

Sally: What time does Sydney get home?

Violet: Soon. Well he should be soon. Sometimes he�s late. Depends on the buses.

Sally :( Looks about the room and then suddenly walks to the window and stares out.)Someone said there was a murder near here.

Violet: Yes. There was. Around the corner. No one we knew. Some clerk in the City so I heard.

Sally: Near to home though isn�t it. Anyone see anything?

Violet: Don�t know. Police will catch whoever did it I expect.

Sally: Yes, I expect they will. (Peers intently.)They do eventually.

Violet: I shouldn�t let it worry you; we don�t get many murders around here.

Sally :( Moves away from the window and stares at Violet.)One�s too many I�d have thought. (Sighs.)I best get unpacked. (Moves upstage and leaves Violet by the sofa.)You don�t know how glad I am to be here.

Violet: Nice to have you. (Stands uneasy by the sofa.)I�ll call you when dinner�s ready. (Sally moves towards the door and opens it. She stops and looks back.)And I�m sure Sydney won�t mind you coming in here. (Sally says nothing, but goes out closing the door behind her. Violet stares at the door.)
                         End of Scene Two.
                         Act One. Scene Three.

Later that evening. Sidney and Sally are sitting opposite at the table. There are knives, forks and spoons on the table with three glasses and a jug of water. There is salt, pepper and mustard in the centre.

Sidney: Do you like the room?

Sally: Yes, it�s nice. Quite cosy.

Sidney: Been empty for years. Never used much. Only for the occasional visit from relatives. Which are rare, thank God.

Sally: Heard anything about that murder?

Sidney :( Pours himself some water from the jug, then offers the jug to Sally.)Water?

Sally: Thank you. Must be bit scary being so close to a murder?

Sidney: Haven�t heard anything. These things happen. Murders have to happen somewhere, I suppose.

Sally: Your wife says he was a clerk in the City.

Sidney: She knows more than I do then, don�t she. (Puts the jug down.)She makes it her business to know these things.

Sally: Wonder who did it?

Sidney: God knows. Some jealous husband, maybe. Perhaps he was carrying on with some bloke�s misses.

Sally: Or perhaps his girlfriend done him in for some reason. (Sips her water and look at Sydney shyly.)Your wife says you�ve been married for ten years.

Sidney: Yes, seems like a lifetime. Even master criminals get the chance of parole.

Sally: She said you wanted children, but she didn�t.

Sidney :( Looks upstage at the kitchen door.)What else she been saying? Told you my hobbies or my shirt size?
Sally: I�m just a bit nosey. My mum says I�m too nosey for my own good.

Sidney: You mum live around here?

Sally: No. (Pause.)What are your hobbies, then?

Sidney: Well, seeing as you�re asking, I like collecting stamps.

Sally: Stamps? You collect stamps?

Sidney :( Looks at Sally with a small grin.)Yes, it�s called philately and I�m a philatelist.

Sally: Does it hurt? (Giggles.)What a funny name for stamp collecting.

Sidney: I�ve got quite a large collection.

Sally: I�d like to see them sometime. If you wanted me to see them.

Sidney: Yes, I�ll get them out sometime and show you.

Sally: That�ll be nice. (Pause. Looks at the glass.)What other hobbies do you have, then?

Sidney: I like listening to the radio in the evenings. I like to listen to classical music. Opera and that sort of thing.

Sally: Quite la-di-dah, aren�t you, in your hobbies.

Sidney: Well, it�s just what I happen to like. (Pause.)What you like, then? What are your hobbies?

Sally: Haven�t got any really. (Pause. Sips her water.)I used to dance.

Sidney: Dance? You were a dancer?

Sally: Yes, for a while. (Pause.)What about your wife? Does she have any hobbies?

Sidney: Gossiping is hers. Talk the beak off a parrot she would.

Sally :( Giggles. Looks at Sidney.)That�s a woman�s privilege that is. Got to know these things. (Puts her glass down.)If you don�t ask, you don�t know, my mum always said. Got to find out what�s going on about you haven�t you? Can�t sit in ignorance while life passes you by.

Sidney: You�re a bright one, you are. (Pause.)Violet likes to read and listen to the radio too. We both like classical music. She likes Elgar and the British lot. I prefer the Germans. Beethoven and Brahms.

Sally: I used to dance on the stage for a while.

Sidney: Where was this, then?

Sally: All about the country. We used to tour. Do the theatres and all that.

Sidney: Don�t you do it anymore?

Sally: No. (Pause. Sips from her glass.)Is it all right, if I come in here in the evenings?

Sidney: Course it is. Don�t mind if you don�t mind a bit of Beethoven or that sort of thing.

Sally: I don�t want to intrude.

Sidney: No, it�ll be nice to have different company.

 

 

Go to part:2  3  4 

 

 

Copyright © 2005 Terry Collett
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"