Terence And Abelardo--Set Three
Randall Barfield

 

Here Comes Theology



(Elizabeth Hanson and Marybeth, an old friend who is single, are having lunch.)


Marybeth
Tell me about Terence. You haven’t mentioned him. What
is he up to?

Elizabeth
Oh, he seems fine. We were talking just the day before yesterday. He’s still with his friend. You remember.

Marybeth
I remember, but I can’t think of the name. Tell me it again.

Elizabeth
Abelard. In Spanish it’s Abelardo.

Marybeth
Now I remember. I have to think of that French guy. You know, the philosopher or teacher. That’s the way to remember it.

Elizabeth
Didn’t they make a movie about him?



Marybeth
Yeah, they did. And his Heloise or Eloise. I’m not sure. Is George any nicer now to Terence?

Elizabeth
That’s hard to say. He thinks he is. I don’t see much change, unfortunately.

Marybeth
Why can’t he just love and accept Terence for the son he is?

Elizabeth
It’s not that easy, you know. We are Christians. But I don’t think there’s a question about whether or not he loves Terence.

Marybeth
I know, but it’s like you. I don’t see you with an attitude problem.

Elizabeth
Maybe you have to be a mother to understand.

(Her eyes get misty.)

Marybeth
Yeah, maybe you’re right. That’s something I can’t say much about, can I? It’s just, well…did he ever like girls?

Elizabeth
Oh, I’m sure. He had a lot of girlfriends all through school. Once we had a serious talk about it. As serious as possible, anyway. He gets very touchy when I bring it up. I remember he said, “Mother, if you’re wondering if I can have sex with females, the answer is yes.”

Marybeth
Oh. I don’t mean to disregard the seriousness of the matter but perhaps he’s sort of split down the middle then. You know, bi.

(Elizabeth gets teary-eyed again yet can’t help but laugh. Marybeth joins her.)

Elizabeth
Who knows? Who really knows?

Marybeth
Could be a phase or something. He might meet some nice young woman one day and bingo! Cupid.

Elizabeth
Some days I think anything can happen. But there are others when I think he’ll never change. Then I think that’s what he’s happy with.

Marybeth
It sure took a lot of courage for him to make that choice. I mean, I’m sure he gets ridiculed. Then there’s the problem with his Dad.

Elizabeth
I think it took courage, too, but I also feel that he’s suffering spiritually. I’m convinced he loves God, so if that’s true, he can’t be completely at ease with himself.

Marybeth
Oh boy, here comes theology. Just at the right time cause I’ve got to go, dear. Still have at least 3 stops to make before I get home. We’ll have to save the theology bit for next time.

Elizabeth
Thanks for the company. And for listening. Making me laugh.

Marybeth
What are friends for? Bye now, I’ll call you.

(Marybeth exits. Elizabeth continues sitting a few minutes at the table the two shared. She stares out the window facing the street but sees nothing. She then calls for the tab.)


THE END of “Here Comes Theology”


For A Rainy


(Abelardo arrives homes. Terence is in the kitchen. Abelardo enters.)

Abelardo
I'm home. Oops! Terence, you're naked!

Terence
Tell me more. Tell me more.

Abelardo
I ask: "Why are you cooking in the nude?"

Terence
Anything wrong with it?

Abelardo
Well, I suppose you feel like doing it. But isn't it risky?

Terence
You presume, not suppose.

Abelardo
Presume then. What's the difference? I presumed you would be wearing clothing.

Terence
I'm wearing skin. It's a type of clothing.

Abelardo
How nice. Now what are you cooking?

Terence
Salchipapas, which in English happens to be cocktail weiners and french fries fried together.

Abelardo
Why are you telling ME what salchipapas are? Where am I from--Shangri-La?

Terence
Ha! That's a good one. Give me a kiss.

Abelardo
No.

Terence
You have to. Kisses take one to Shangri-La. Says so in the song.

(They kiss.)

Abelardo
Good news.

Terence
Oh really, what is it?

Abelardo
Your art history major here has been asked to speak next month. For pay!

Terence
Wow! That is good news. Where may I ask?

Abelardo
In the National Museum. How do you like that?

Terence
I think it's great. How did you swing it?

Abelardo
I DO have a few friends, even if you can count on one hand. Are you gonna attend?

Terence
I might. If you behave yourself.

Abelardo
When have I not?

Terence
More than once. Short memory? Remember that embassy party? You were higher than the Rockies and kissed me on the mouth. Veronica almost collapsed.

Abelardo
Oh yeah. Her. She needs to look in the mirror several times a day if she truly wants to collapse.

Terence
I want a cut.

Abelardo
Oh no you don't! I'm gonna save it. For a rainy.

Terence
Rainy day.

Abelardo
Rainy day. Or rainy night?

Terence
(Turns off stove.) Follow me.

Abelardo
Follow you? Why? I'm hungry. When are we gonna eat?

Terence
I wanna show you something.

Abelardo
No you don't. It's a trick. I know you.

Terence
What if it is. You don't like them?

Abelardo
It depends. You know what I like.

Terence
(Winking) You like legal tender. I've got some of that too.

(They exit the kitchen, Abelardo rather reluctantly.)


END of "For A Rainy"



The Jokester


(Abelardo and his sister, Paulina, are in a restaurant discussing his ostracism from their parents)

Paulina
You know I care about you a lot, but Mom and Dad won’t listen to me.

Abelardo
Okay, I can understand Dad to an extent, but Mom...Why?

Paulina
I think some of it is Dad’s influence, but not completely. Mom’s also very religious, as you know. Still, I feel that if Dad weren’t around, she’d be more receptive.

Abelardo
What a mess! So much for family support.

Paulina
Try not to take it so hard.

Abelardo
That’s easy to say. It hurts terribly, but please don’t ever say I said that.

Paulina
Look, I understand the hurt, but it’s your life. You have to live it the best you can. Are you happy?

Abelardo
Happiness. Happiness is as happiness does. It’s limited, you know, for anybody, but in general, I can say yeah. At the moment, I’m happier than I’ve been in years.

Paulina
Then don’t worry. Let things be. We’ll stand by you. We’ll help you as much as we can—Pablo and I.

Abelardo
What would I do without you two?

Paulina
Silly. You’d live. Much as you’re living right now, probably.

(Both laugh. He takes his sister’s hand)

Abelardo
You’re a good sister. Really. And Pablo a good brother. I’ve always thought it was a person’s heart that truly mattered. I will love you both all my life.
(The waiter brings the tab over.)

Paulina
I’ll always try at least. And Pablo. You can count on us.

Abelardo(Devilish grin)
Even if I like a woman in the future?

Paulina
Even. (They laugh together again)

Abelardo
I’m serious but at the same time can’t help being the jokester.

Paulina
I know. Who’s paying?

Abelardo
I am. I insist.

Paulina
Okay, Mr. High-flyer. Tab’s all yours.



THE END of Jokester



Seeking Intimacy


(Marcia and Terence discuss ‘Brokeback Mountain’ over lunch.)


Marcia
So, you got to see it.

Terence
Yes, finally.

Marcia
So, what did you think? I’m curious. I’m planning to see it next week.

Terence
It isn’t easy. To comment on, I mean. I think the director did a great job. A Taiwanese. For a foreigner to come into our country and handle the details he did, it’s amazing.

Marcia
I’m sure you’re right. He had a lot of help, of course.

Terence
That’s true. Plus the scenery of the mountains, lakes and rivers in Montana, Wyoming or wherever is really breath-taking, to use a cliché.

Marcia
That’s nice. Can’t wait. What about the love scenes? I guess that’s what I mean.

Terence
In one scene they were romping on a hill or something. I remember thinking of 2 puppies.

Marcia
Hmm.

Terence
The first love scene’s rather brutal. After that, they do a lot of kissing, touching, you know.

Marcia
Actually, I don’t. (Both laugh) What are they—herders?

Terence
Sheep herders, shepherds or whatever. You know how sheep faces are. Simply gorgeous. So many of them, too.

Marcia
Sweet, I’d say.

Terence
Yeah, that’s the word. Anyway, I’d say overall they handled the romantic parts with good taste.

Marcia
Anything boring?

Terence
It seems to lag or drag a few places in the middle. Only a few, though. You sort of get bored, or at least I did, with practically everybody being poor or low-class or without hope even. Poor small ranches, no culture anywhere. Even Ennis’ daughter, it seems, is gonna get married and continue in the same sad cycle. She seems to love Ennis, her father, though. That’s nice.

Marcia
Do both men get married? To women, I mean.

(They laugh)

Terence
They do.

Marcia
Do they find out?

Terence
Yes, but gradually, I guess you could say. Ennis’ wife finds out first. She sees them kissing.

Marcia
Uh oh. Then what?

Terence
She cries. Then acts sad all the time and suspicious, of course. I didn’t realize there was going to be a ‘Same Time, Next Year’ situation. Or ‘Same Time’ in six months.

Marcia
Like the movie with Alan Alda?

Terence
Yeah. That’s what I mean. Cheating. There’s a lot of that in the film. That, of course, has to operate on lies and deceit. Bad news, right?

Marcia
To me it would be. Even if I were living with a woman, she’d better be good while she’s with me. Are they really in love you think?

Terence
That’s hard to say. I believe gay love exists, albeit it’s the exception, but as in any love situation, there are ups and downs.

Marcia
Moreso for gays, I’d say.

Terence
I think Jack and Ennis were seeking an intimacy they hadn’t found before. Especially Jack. He seemed more needy than Ennis.

Marcia
Needy?

Terence
Needy as in needed a buddy more, a male buddy. Maybe needy is not the right word.

Marcia
Who did the better acting?

Terence
For me it was the guy who played Ennis. I swear, if he’s not an illiterate cowboy in real life…!

Marcia
That convincing, huh?

Terence
Absolutely.

Marcia
You must be leaving out something if it’s nominated for 8 Oscars.

Terence
No, the movie’s good. Personally, I can see it winning 4 to 5. I don’t think it will win more. But then again…I’m not voting, am I?

Marcia
Gosh, look! Time’s up. Back to work.

Terence
After you.



THE END of ‘Seeking Intimacy’





      
      
      
      

 

 

Copyright © 2005 Randall Barfield
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"