2016-2022 Youth League Baseball And Softball Season (1)
Winson Thai

 

The New York Motorgirls open the 2016 year at home versus the Tampa Whales. Making her first career start due to Sasha Ellis having a last-minute family emergency, Veronica Rivera tosses a 1-2-3 first, but next inning, allows a leadoff single and walk. Kylie Cox’s throwing error on a bunt attempt scores one run and puts girls at second and third. Macie Morrow’s single scores both. Bobbi Aristoteles’ one-out shot puts Tampa up 5-0. Rivera is pulled after only three innings. Kara Rau’s blast in the fifth puts her team on the board off of starter Kourtney Davis. Tampa gets the run back on Jessie Warden’s blast off of Terri Bell in the sixth and wins 6-1. New York takes the next game 3-0, but is outhit 6-2 as all runs come in the third on Jessica Dignon’s blast off of Lillian Owen after a walk and hit-by-pitch, leaving on two girls on a walk in the first and double in the fifth. Tampa wins the last 9-6, but is outhit 16-9. They trail 6-4 in the seventh when Jessie Warden hits a one-out blast off of Erica Beach. Terri Bell hits two with pitches and walks one and Amelia Clark’s single scores two. Macie Morrow hits a two-run single after a fly out and hit-by-pitch.

The Motorgirls host the Chicago Storms for three games, taking the opener 9-7. Trish Parks in the seventh walks two, as Kara Rau hits a one-out RBI single off of Cory Li. Sherri Johnson, who homered in the sixth, homers to tie the game. Ayumi Karino homers after a hit. Chicago wins the next one 6-3 ,then in the last, scores two runs in the first off of Carol DeVito, but she and two relievers shut them out after that. Dana Thompson and Kylie Cox homer in the first and third off of Marion Wong, respectively. In the sixth, Joan Meadows’ bases-loaded, one-out bloop single off of Wong scores the winning run for the Motorgirls.

Christina Bay homers off of Arielle Kerrigan in the second against the St. George Angels, who tie the game in the third on Logan Rome’s groundout off of Jo Wei. Sherri Johnson homers with an out in the third. Bay’s shot after a two-out walk puts her team up 4-1. Kaitlin Ross’ shot in the fourth cuts the lead to 4-2. Bay homers off of Dominique Era in the fifth and is the first Motorgirl to hit three at a home game. In the sixth, Laurie Rosenberg’s RBI single off of Wei makes it 5-3 New York, the final. Crystal Lewis is the second Motorgirl to hit three blasts in a game at home in a 9-3 loss to the Seattle Marines two weeks later.

The Subways defeat the Colorado Racers at home 8-6, but are outhit 8-6. They strand no guys for the first time since 2009 and score in the first (a single and two walks load the bases, and after an out, Ted Husain and Loren Pierre hit back-to-back homers) and third (Husain and Mario Ruiz homer after a double with an out between) off of Ariel Chung. Casey Barnes in the second allows Nicholas Wu’s shot after a hit and Kris White’s RBI single in the fifth after a single and walk. Shane Madison allows a single and hit-by -pitch next inning, then Dylan Ike’s RBI double and Ricky Ting’s RBI single. Jude Song in relief gets one out, then allows Stacey Mia’s RBI groundout. Colorado takes the next game 14-9. A five-run eighth snaps an 8-8 tie. The teams score a run next inning. New York in the last leads 2-0 in the first on four singles off of Ned Alan. Dylan Ike’s homer off of Holly Evelyn in the second makes it 2-1 Subways, who get that run back on Damien Khaliq’s single after a leadoff walk and sacrifice bunt in the lower half. In the sixth, Alan allows a single, walk, and fielder’s choice, then gets the inning’s first out as Pierre singles to center fielder Vladimir Volkodav. He mishandles the ball and it rolls into the outfield wall, letting all four runners score. In relief, Courtney Hover permits a two-out double. Ike singles to lead off the seventh off of Bernie Hales, who gives up a two-out walk and Stacey Mia’s RBI single. Dorian Santos walks two to load the bases and force in a run. Casey Barnes gives up Volkodav’s bases-clearing double, then three walks to tie this game, then gets the inning’s last out. Nicholas Wu’s blast off of Michael Santiago in the eighth puts Colorado up 8-7. Nikita Gorbunov in the ninth allows a leadoff single and one-out walk, but Mario Ruiz grounds into a game-ending double play. Colorado wins, but is outhit 11-7. Besides the seventh, they strand two runners.

The Motorgirls play three interleague games in Vermont versus the Rip Tide, who four years prior swept them at home (the only team they did not win a game versus that year), and lose the first two. In the last, Dakota Russel’s blast off of starter Luis Montana in the seventh puts her team up 1-0, but Vermont in the lower half loads the bases with two outs. Erica Beach relieves starter Kathie Petite and permits an RBI infield single to Morgan Harmon. Sasha Ellis relieves Beach, getting the last out. She next inning allows a two-out double to Ken Longoria. Jeff Gelalich singles to shallow left after a walk to Erdinc Guney, but he goes to third after Longoria stops there. This puts the latter in a rundown between third and home, as he is tagged out to end the inning. Kylie Cox homers after a hit-by-pitch by Dakota Miranda in the ninth. Maria Abraham pitches a scoreless lower half. Vermont strands 10 runners and hits into three double plays. New York wins 3-1, but gets outhit 11-5, strands three runners, all reaching on singles, and commits two errors.

Versus the Vermont Rip Tide at home, Kara Rau’s blast off of Shelly Hoerner after a double in the first puts New York up 2-0. Jessica Moore hits an RBI infield single after three one-out walks next inning. Rau’s two-out grand slam makes it 7-0 Motorgirls. Three Vermont relievers retire them 1-2-3 in the rest of the game except in the fifth after Meghan Bore hits Dakota Russel with a pitch. She is her team’s only girl left on, but Vermont scores just three runs off of Kathie Petite and two relievers, strand 12 hitters and go 1 for 14 with them in scoring position. New York wins 7-3, but is outhit 10-4. Vermont next match leads 4-0 on two-run blasts by Shelby Catalina and Ricki Milano in the first and second, respectively, off of Jo Wei. Milano is the oldest pitcher to hit her first homer at 37. Joyce Camp hits a three-run shot in the third off of Milano. Sammie Nate and Natalie Wilson homer off of Veronica Rivera in the seventh. Vermont wins 6-3.

In the finale of four versus the Hawks in Philadelphia, Jacky Martinez homers after a single off of Timmy Hudson in the second. Alexi Garcia and Erin Cassidy’s RBI singles after two singles tie this game off of Jude Song. Karol Hall in the sixth hits a sacrifice fly off of Song after a single and ground ball error put men at second and third. Hudson allows a walk and single in the seventh. In relief, Tanji Islam permits Damien Khaliq’s two-run single after a hit-by-pitch. Garcia’s double play in the bottom half ties this game off of Bernie Hales after two singles. Jerry Quincy next inning hits an RBI single after a single and hit-by-pitch off of MJ Esmeralda. Garcia after a walk hits a two-run single off of Madison Cruz. Christian Finley in the ninth is a strike from a save, but Loren Pierre doubles on a 1-2 pitch. Blair Barbier issues a walk, as Edward Edith’s shot ties the game. Jose Campos allows a two-out single and walk in the 10th before Third Baseman Jason Esposito’s error on Mario Ruiz’s ground ball scores a run. Three walks force in two more, all unearned. In the lower half, Hugh Anderson works around an infield error to get a save and Cruz gets a win with a 1-2-3 ninth. His team’s dramatic comeback 10-7 win finishes a sweep, but they get outhit 13-9.

The Subways sweep the Dragons ladies’ team in Canton after sweeping them at home in 2013 and win the first game 4-1. Reliever Hugh Anderson allows Lara Basin’s RBI double in the sixth. Reliever Ali Willis allows Jacky Martinez’s RBI double after a two-out single and Ted Husain’s shot after a walk in the seventh. Hank Rutenberg next game hits into an RBI forceout off of Deana Benner in the first with men at first and third. Loren Pierre doubles, then Dick Weaver’s fielder choice scores a run. Rick Hague’s double scores another and Kenneth House homers. In the lower half with girls at second and third and one out off of Zane Serena, Kelsey Stewart hits an RBI groundout. Lara Basin hits an RBI double as Erin Evans’ shot makes it 6-4 Subways. James Cooper’s shot in the fourth off of Benner raises that lead to 7-4. After a two-out hit-by-pitch, House’s second shot of the game off of Kasey Southern puts his team up 9-4 in the sixth. Ted Husain’s bases-loaded groundout off of Gina Twain in the seventh puts New York atop 10-4, the final.

New York falls to the Dragons in Canton 7-1. Sherri Johnson gives her team its two hits including an RBI single after two walks in the second off of Taryne Mowatt. She pitches a complete game. No other Motorgirl batter reach base. Erica Beach allows four runs in the third and Jo Wei allows three in the sixth.

The Motorgirls beat the Springfield Isotopes at home 1-0. The sole run scores via Jessica Moore’s sacrifice fly in the seventh off of Trish Parks after three leadoff walks. Springfield takes the next game 16-1, scoring five runs off of Erica Beach in the first, four in the fourth off of her and Kathie Petite and seven in the sixth off of Carol DeVito. Sherri Johnson makes her pitching debut with 1 2/3 shutout innings. Her team scores its only run in the seventh off of reliever Hilary Sale on Joyce Camp’s groundout. In the third, Jamie Hinshaw’s first career grand slam in the first after a single and two walks puts her team atop 4-0 off of Jo Wei. Savanna Mathis’ shot off of her puts Springfield up 5-0 next inning. Kristen Wood allows back-to-back leadoff singles in the lower half and Dakota Russel’s double makes it 5-2 Isotopes. They get those runs back in the third on Sara Elias’ double after a single and walk off of Carol DeVito. Sasha Ellis allows back-to-back singles to lead off the seventh, as Leah English homers. Springfield gets a double and single that inning, but a double play ends it. In the lower half, New York gets two two-out singles off of Madison Flannigan, but after a defensive indifference puts runners at second and third, Joyce Camp strikes out on a low third pitch. New York loses 10-2, strands 11 runners, and outhits the Isotopes (who strand five) 13-10.

Against the Auburn Warriors at home, New York gets two walks off of Haley Short to lead off the second. Jessica Dignon’s double scores a run. Fallon Gabriela’s single scores two. Kara Rau’s RBI double after a walk puts her team up 4-0. In relief, Hollie Jones allows a two-run double to Ayumi Karino. After a walk and strikeout, Adrianne Thompson hits an RBI single. After a single, Dignon also hits an RBI single. Gabriela’s grand slam caps the scoring. Her team scores a record 12 runs on eight hits in an inning. Vivian Gold’s leadoff shot in the sixth breaks the shutout off of reliever Erica Beach, but New York gets back the run on three leadoff singles, the last of which is Sherri Johnson’s RBI one, off of Beverley To in the lower half. They win 13-1, but just outhit Auburn 12-9 and strand five girls (Auburn strands 13). Their one other hit came in the third. The Subways fight the Vermont Rip Tide that day at home. Holly Evelyn in the third permits Kimberley Agawa’s RBI single after a double and four other hits in six innings, but Luis Montana tosses 5 1/3 perfect innings. Loren Pierre reaches on an error in the sixth as New York’s first runner, but is negated via a double play. After a strike-three wild pitch next inning, Hank Rutenberg’s shot puts them up 2-1. Their lead holds to mark the first time since 1914 they took a game on one hit. They strand no batters for the second time this season as Vermont pitchers and three Subway relievers retire all others they faced.

Versus the Hawks male team in Philadelphia, Sasha Ellis allows a leadoff walk and hit in the first. Jerry Quincy homers one out later. Ellis allows a two-out double. Kylie Cox’s leadoff blast puts New York on the board in the second off of Timmy Hudson. The Hawks get the run back in the bottom half on Karol Hall’s leadoff blast with Ellis allowing two two-out singles. New York cuts that lead back to two on Sherri Johnson’s shot in the third, but the Hawks in the bottom half get two leadoff men on via a single and error and Carmen Olson’s one-out shot puts them up 7-2. Ellis is removed after two walks in her shortest career start, 2 2/3 innings. She is set to take a loss until her team makes history. Cox singles to lead off the fourth and consecutive blasts by Crystal Lewis and Jessica Moore make it 7-5 Hawks. Hudson leaves that inning with two outs. Jose Campos in the fifth allows a leadoff double and hit-by-pitch. Lewis’ one-out blast puts New York up 8-7. They make it 9-7 on Adrianne Thompson’s two-out blast. Next inning, Aubrey Davison allows a leadoff hit as Dana Thompson’s one-out shot makes it 11-7 Motorgirls. Davison allows a two-out walk and double. Johnson’s double scores both hitters. Dakota Russel triples off of Davison in the seventh and scores on Christina Bay’s single. Fallon Gabriela’s shot after a double in the ninth off of Blair Barbier puts New York up 16-7, the final. They hit a record eight blasts and 15 extra base hits. The 16 runs are the most they score this year. Erica Beach gets the win with 3 1/3 scoreless innings, allowing three hits. Three relievers retire the Hawks 1-2-3 in the final three innings. New York then loses 5-3 at home to the Stanton Dolphins. Carol DeVito gives up three unearned runs on a hit and two walks in the sixth to break a 2-2 tie.

The Subways host the Philadelphia Hawks, who have the league’s worst overall and road records, 19-42 and 5-27, respectively for three interleague games and lose the first two by scores of 12-9 and 11-6. It marks the first time the Hawks, who are 1-8 versus the archrival Motorgirls so far in 2016, score double -digit runs in a game this year. They beat aces Holly Evelyn in the first game for eight runs on 11 hits in 3 1/3 innings and in the next, Michael Santiago for six runs on eight hits in 4 2/3 innings plus five go-ahead runs off of Dorian Santos in the ninth. New York avoids a humiliating sweep with a 10-7 win in the finale.

New York in the last of four against the Marines in Seattle leads 12-0 after six innings, scoring on Carol DeVito’s RBI single in the second and Sherri Johnson’s three-run shot off of Anita Casablanca, then five runs in the fifth capped by Johnson’s three-run shot and three in the sixth on Dakota Russel’s blast off of two relievers. DeVito tosses 5 2/3 shutout innings. She and two relievers in the sixth allow four two-out runs. Stevie Ross’ homer starts the scoring. Mandy Phillips homers off of Sandy Boon next inning as New York wins 12-5 to sweep this series after being swept by the Marines in a three-game set at home in April.

The Motorgirls fall to the Tampa Whales at home 5-3, but outhit them 13-6, strand 13 runners and go 2 for 18 with them in scoring position and Tampa has none in that situation, strands four, gets a hit-by-pitch and two walks. They lose the next game 8-1 and get four hits including a triple in the fourth, then an RBI groundout, but strand only one runner, Amelia Clark after she singles in the third, as none get on base in any other ways and they hit into double plays twice. New York scores four runs in the second and sixth.

The Wizards play a three-game set against the Motorgirls in New York, where they won their first series since 2003 in 2015. In the second of the finale, Meredith Cole hits a two-out RBI single off of Terri Bell after a leadoff one and groundout off of Terri Bell. Christina Bay hits an RBI single in the third off of Anne Smith after a leadoff triple. Fallon Gabriela’s sacrifice fly after a single and walk puts her team up 2 -1, but Smith retires New York, who she spent the last eight years with, 1-2-3 in the other five innings she pitches. Daisy Ricardo enters in the seventh, hoping to get her 13th save, but Megan Aker on her first pitch homers. She after two strikeouts walks two girls. Ryan Colin then hits an RBI double. Ricardo is removed after a walk under boos by the fans, who also booed Smith at the game’s start. Sandy Boon allows Bonnie Kozminski’s double and Francis Jeremiah’s single. Each scores two runs and Ricardo is charged with five on two hits in 2/3 innings in her worst relief appearance of 2016. Tina Whitlock retires New York 1-2-3 in the lower half. Smith earns her first win against them. Her team for the second straight season wins two of three in New York, but the Motorgirls win three of four versus them in Minneapolis in July after sweeping a four-game series there in 2015. They win the finale 1-0, scoring the only run in the first on a passed ball.

The Subways in Eureka face the Eagles, who lead 1-0 on Kelly Shipper’s two-out single after two walks in the first off of Holly Evelyn. After another walk, Peter Harris’s single scores two as Steve Luna’s double scores another. Evelyn walks two to reload the bases and force in another run. Michael Santiago in relief gets the first’s third out. Ted Husain hits an RBI single after a leadoff double off of Stanley Baker in the second. Loren Pierre’s double after a single and hit-by-pitch scores two. Marion Ramirez and Kenneth House’s singles and Damien Khaliq’s double score a run each to knock Baker out of the game. Tory Luisa allows a walk, Husain’s RBI single and Lilian Augustin’s two-out bases-clearing triple. Pierre hits an RBI single. A strikeout ends the inning, where the Subways score 11 runs, fourth most in history. Rick Hague’s grand slam off of Luisa in the third puts them atop 15-5. After two walks with two outs in the fourth off of Joan Len, Shipper’s error on Hague’s groundball scores a run. In the sixth after a walk and hit-by pitch off of Sal Iverson, Hague’s double scores a run and Mario Ruiz’s single scores two. House’s blast in the ninth off of Joshua Alvin after an interference call puts his team ahead 21-5, the final. That is the most runs they score in a game in 2016. They outhit Eureka 19-3. Eureka commits three errors and after leaving the bases loaded in the first, gets only one runner in the rest of the game after Santiago, who gets a win, walks Luna in the third. Madison Cruz throws the last three innings for a save. Mario Ruiz homers off of Joshua Alvin next game in the first, but Zane Serena and Hugh Anderson allow six runs in the bottom half. Next inning, James Cooper’s grand slam makes it 6-5 Eureka. Three-run shots from Peter Harris and Leslie Edwards in the second and third, respectively, off of Anderson put Eureka atop 12-5. Ruiz and Loren Pierre’s blasts in the fifth and sixth off of Alvin and Eric Braun, respectively, make it 12-7 Eagles. Devon Caurso’s two-run triple followed by Edwards’ RBI single in the seventh off of Jude Song make it 15-7 Eagles. It is the final.

A month later, the Subways host the Eagles for three games and lose the first 7-3. The teams score three runs in the ninth with New York leaving the bases loaded. They win the next one 12-1. Steve Luna’s blast in the ninth ends Bernie Hales’ shot for a perfect game, but Hales retires the next three hitters. James Cooper’s second inning grand slam off of Troy Shield puts his team up 4-0 in the finale. Michael Santiago allows Kelly Shipper’s two-run single in the third, Steve Luna’s three-run homer in the fourth, and Dorian Santos in the fifth an RBI double to Peter Harris, then a two-run blast to Leslie Edwards. Loren Pierre hits a three-run shot in the seventh off of Eric Braun, who allows a double. Lilian Augustin’s RBI single off of Stanley Baker ties the game. New York wins 9-8 in the ninth on Hank Rutenberg’s shot off of Sal Iverson.

 

 

Go to part:2  3 

 

 

Copyright © 2017 Winson Thai
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"