2016-2020 Youth League Baseball And Softball Season (1)
Winson Thai

 

The New York Motorgirls open the 2016 year at home versus the Tampa Whales. Making her first career start due to Sasha Ellis having a last-minute family emergency, Veronica Rivera tosses a 1-2-3 first, but next inning, allows a leadoff single and walk. Kylie Cox’s throwing error on a bunt scores one run and puts hitters at second and third. Macie Morrow’s single scores both. Anastasia Baber homers to put Tampa up 5-0 one out later. Rivera is taken out of the game after only three innings. Kara Rau’s leadoff home run in the fifth off of starter Kourtney Davis puts New York on the board. Tampa gets the run back in the sixth off of Terri Bell on Jessie Warden’s leadoff blast. They win 6-1. New York wins the next game 3-0 despite getting outhit 6-2. All runs come in the third on Jessica Dignon’s shot off of Lillian Owen after a walk and hit-by-pitch. New York leaves on two hitters, on a walk in the first and double in the fifth. Tampa wins the finale 9-6, but gets outhit 16-9 with three hit-by-pitches and hits in a five-run seventh off of three pitchers.

The Subways start the season with a 5-4 road trip, fight the Auburn Warriors in their home opener and fall 1-2, their second straight home opener loss after taking 18 of their last 19, but take the next games 2-1 and 4-0. Auburn in the latter gets three hits, but hits into a double play every time and strands no men.

The Motorgirls host the Chicago Storms for three matches, taking the opener 9-7, scoring six runs on four hits in the seventh off of two relievers. Chicago wins the next one 11-3 and for the last, scores two runs in the first off of Carol DeVito, but she and two relievers shut them down afterward. Crystal Lewis in the bottom of the inning homers off of Marion Wong as Kylie Cox does the same in the third. In the sixth, Joan Meadows’ bases-loaded, one-out bloop single off of Wong scores the winning run for the Motorgirls.

The Subways fight the Warlocks, who lost the last game of three to the Storms in Chicago, unable to sweep the series, in Salem. In the first game, the Subways go up 2-0 via Kendrix Miller’s two-run blast off of Christian Finley in the second. Hayley Ericson’s three-run shot in the third off of Zane Serena gives Salem a 3-2 lead, but Serena and three relievers shut them out for the rest of this game. New York goes up 4-3 on a bases-loaded hit-by-pitch and subsequent wild pitch in the fourth. Mario Ruiz homers in the sixth off of Joel Easter and hits an RBI single in the seventh off of Matt Carasiti. New York puts the game away at Damien Khaliq’s grand slam off of Keri Alexandria in the ninth for a 10-3 win. They win the next game 3-2. In the third, Holly Evelyn and three pitchers shut out Salem. Loren Pierre hits a two-out double in the fifth, scoring on Mario Ruiz’s single off of Otto Sanders. Jacky Martinez’s homer in the sixth makes it 2-0 Subways, the final. Salem loads the bases with no outs in the eighth off of two relievers, but cannot score. Their four-game losing streak is their longest of the season, but then they win a season-high eight straight.

Against the Vermont Rip Tide at home, Kara Rau’s one-out homer off of Shelly Horner in the first after a leadoff double puts New York atop 2-0. They load the bases off next inning via three walks with an out as Jessica Moore’s infield single scores a run. Rau’s grand slam an out later makes it 7-0 Motorgirls as three Vermont relievers retire them 1-2-3 in the rest of the game except in the fifth after Meghan Bore hits Dakota Russel in with a pitch. She is her team’s only girl left on, but the Rip Tide get just three runs off of Kathie Petite, pitching for the first time since 2013 due to breast cancer treatment, and two relievers, leave on 12 hitters and go 1 for 14 with them in scoring position and the Motorgirls win 7-3, but are outhit 10-4.

New York scores four runs via four hits in the second off of Laura Lee of the Philadelphia Hawks, who other than a two-out single in the third, retires them 1-2-3 in the other four innings she pitches. Carol DeVito throws five scoreless innings, allowing singles in the first and fourth. New York in the sixth scores five runs on seven hits off of Andy Coy. Her team gets all of the runs back off of DeVito and two relievers on three hits, two walks and a hit-by-pitch in the bottom of the inning, though the Motorgirls win this 9-5.

Kathie Petite tosses a complete game versus the Dolphins at Stanton, allowing just a run and hit, a blast to Lucy Jung in the fourth, and a walk (in the second to Christine Heinle. She is negated on a double play). Her team goes atop 2-0 in the second on Rosario Paterson’s blast off of Robyn Tick, who lasts three innings. They score a run in the fourth off of Angela Tincher plus three off of Meagan Gibson next inning.

Jo Wei allows five runs in the third to the Rip Tide in Vermont, but nothing else in six innings and her team scores two in the fourth on Dana Thompson’s blast, three in the fifth on Ayumi Karino’s two-run blast and Sherri Johnson’s blast off of Kimberly Holt, and four off of Shelly Horner in the 13th to win 9-5.

The Subways and Motorgirls face each other in a make-up game at Transit Stadium after a rainout and Jessica Dignon singles leading off the first off of Jim Hardy, scoring on Jessica Moore’s double. After a walk and strikeout, Joyce Camp’s single scores Moore. A walk loads the bases and third baseman James Cooper’s fielding error makes it 3-0 Motorgirls. Kara Rau’s single scores two more runs, knocking Hardy, who permits five runs on four hits in 2/3 inning, the shortest start for any Subway pitcher in history, out of the game. Joan Meadows’ homer in the third off of Hugh Anderson makes it 6-0 Motorgirls. In the fourth, they get girls on first and second with two outs off of him and both score via Sherri Johnson’s double. The Subways get on the board on Dick Weaver’s homer in the bottom of the inning off of starter Kathie Petite, then get men on second and third in the sixth with no outs off of her and his single scores a run and after a pop out, Cooper’s single scores another. In the ninth, the Motorgirls get runners on first and third with two outs off of Madison Cruz as Crystal Lewis hits an RBI single. Ted Husain in the bottom of that inning hits a two-out single off of Erica Beach, steals second, and scores via Mario Ruiz’s single. He steals two bases before Loren Pierre strikes out to close this game. The Motorgirls win 9-4 with both teams getting 12 hits.

The teams face each other at Chase Field the next night. Motorgirl starter Sasha Ellis walks Loren Pierre to lead off the second. Ted Husain’s shot puts his team atop 2-0. Jessica Dignon’s shot off of Bernie Hales in the third cuts it to 2-1, but he and Hugh Anderson shut her team out for the rest of the game. Terri Bell walks Marion Ramirez, leading off the sixth. He moves to second on another walk, then to third via a wild pitch, and scores on Rick Hague’s single. The Subways win 3-1, but both teams get four hits. In both games, the losing team got no walks. The Motorgirls split four games with the Subways and fall 5-3 to the Stanton Dolphins at home. Carol DeVito allows three unearned runs on a hit in the sixth to break a 2-2 tie.

The Motorgirls play three interleague games in Vermont versus the Rip Tide, who four years prior swept them at home (the only team they did not win a game against that year) and lose the first two. In the last game, Kathie Petite of New York and Luis Montana of Vermont toss six shutout innings each. Dakota Russel’s two-out blast in the seventh puts New York up 1-0, but Vermont in the inning’s bottom half loads the bases with two outs. Erica Beach relieves Petite and permits an infield single to Morgan Harmon to tie the game. Sasha Ellis replaces Beach and gets the inning’s third out. Next inning, she gives up a double to Ken Longoria. After Erdinc Guney is walked, Jeff Gelalich singles to shallow left, but Guney runs to third after Longoria stops there. This puts the latter in a rundown between third and home as he is tagged out to end the inning. Dakota Miranda hits Rosario Paterson with a pitch to lead off the ninth. Kara Rau’s homer puts her team up 3-1. Vermont is shutout in bottom of the ninth. New York wins despite being outhit 11-5, committing two errors and leaving on three girls. Vermont strands ten men and hit into three double plays.

Against the Isotopes in Oregon, the Motorgirls go up 4-0 on two-run shots by Fallon Gabriela and Carol DeVito in the first and second, respectively, off of Trish Parks. DeVito is the oldest pitcher to hit her first homer at 37. The Isotopes cut it to 4-3 in the third on Liz Choi’s shot off of DeVito, but Kara Rau and Dakota Russel homer off of Madison Flannigan in the seventh for a 6-3 win. They split the four-game set.

Christina Bay homers off of Arielle Kerrigan in the second against the St. George Angels at home, but the Angels tie the game in the third on Logan Rome’s groundout off of Jo Wei. Sherri Johnson homers with an out in the bottom of the inning and after a two-out walk, Bay’s shot puts New York up 4-1. Kaitlin Ross’ homer in the fourth makes it 4-2 New York. Bay homers off of Dominique Era in the fifth and is the first Motorgirl to hit three in a home game. Laurie Rosenberg’s RBI single in the sixth off of Wei makes it 5-3 Motorgirls, the final. Crystal Lewis is the second Motorgirl to hit three blasts in a home game in a 9-3 loss to the Colorado Racers two weeks later. The Subways are up 7-1 versus the Minneapolis Wizards that day at home. Leonard Putin hits a grand slam in the seventh off of Zane Serena. Sandy Myers’ blast off of Michael Santiago in the ninth after two two-out singles puts the Wizards up 8-7. They win with that score.

The Subways defeat the Colorado Racers at home 7-3, albeit each team gets seven hits, and strand no runner for the first time since 2009. New York in the finale goes up 2-0 in the first on four two-out hits off of Ned Alan. Colorado cuts it to 2-1 in the second on Dylan Ike’s leadoff shot off of Holly Evelyn, but New York gets that run back as Loren Pierre walks to lead off the bottom of that inning, goes to second on a sacrifice bunt and scores on Mario Ruiz’s two-out single. He gets tagged out at second to end the inning. In the sixth, the Subways load the bases on a single, walk, and fielder’s choice. Alan gets the inning’s first out and Pierre singles to center fielder Vladimir Volkodav. He mishandles the ball. It rolls into the outfield fence to let all four men score. Courtney Hover relieves Alan and allows just a two-out double. Ike singles to lead off the seventh off of Bernie Hales, who allows a two-out walk and RBI single. Dorian Santos then replaces Hales, walking two to load the bases and force in a run. Casey Barnes relieves Santos, allowing a bases clearing double to Volkodav. He walks the next three men to tie the game before getting the inning’s final out. Nicholas Wu’s homer off of Michael Santiago in the eighth puts Colorado up 8-7. MJ Esmeralda allows a leadoff single in the ninth and one-out walk. Damien Khaliq hits into a game-ending double play. The Racers win despite getting outhit 11-7 to avoid a sweep. Besides the seventh, they strand two runners.

The Subways host the Philadelphia Hawks, who have the league’s worst overall and road records, 19-42 and 5-27, respectively for three interleague games and lose the first two by scores of 12-9 and 11-6. It marks the first time the Hawks, who are 1-8 versus the archrival Motorgirls so far in 2016, score double -digit runs in a game this year. They beat aces Holly Evelyn in the first game for eight runs on 11 hits in 3 1/3 innings and in the next, Michael Santiago for six runs on eight hits in 4 2/3 innings plus five go-ahead runs off of Dorian Santos in the ninth. New York avoids a humiliating sweep with a 10-7 win in the finale.

The Salem Warlocks beat the Subways in New York 5-2, but are outhit 9-4, stranding only a hitter with all runs coming via homers. Hayley Ericson and Chris Nash hit homers after walks in the second and seventh, respectively, off of Dorian Santos. Stacey Mia next game doubles to start off the third off of Jude Song, goes to third on a sacrifice bunt, and scores via Stevie Vera’s triple. Logan Ray’s single scores a run after a walk and groundout and Alex Crone homers to put Salem up 5-0. They go up 6-0 off of Song in the fifth as Hillary Pitt walks, steals second and scores on Crone’s single. Otto Sanders allows a one-out walk and single in the bottom of the inning as Hank Rutenberg’s single and Mario Ruiz’s groundout score a run each. Marion Ramirez’s shot makes it 6-4 Salem, but they in the sixth score eight runs via three hits off of three relievers aided by two errors. While they are retired 1-2-3 for the rest of this match, the Subways get just a run in each of the final four innings and fall 14-8 despite outhitting Salem 13-10, but win the finale.

In the last of four versus the Hawks in Philadelphia, Jacky Martinez’s homer after a leadoff single off of Timmy Hudson puts New York up 2-0. The Hawks tie it via RBI singles from Alexi Garcia and Erin Cassidy off of Jude Song after two leadoff singles in the third. Garcia singles off of Song, goes to third on an error and scores on Karol Hall’s sacrifice fly to lead off the sixth. The Subways load the bases with one out off of Hudson on a walk, hit and hit-by-pitch in the seventh. Damien Khaliq’s single off of Tanji Islam scores two. In the bottom of the inning, Bernie Hales allows consecutive leadoff singles. Garcia hits into a double play to tie the game. His team next inning has hitters at first and second with two outs off of Hales on a hit-by-pitch and single. Jerry Quincy singles to score a run as Garcia singles after a walk to score two more. Blair Barbier in the ninth is a strike from a save, but Hank Rutenberg doubles on a 1-2 pitch as after Khaliq walks, Kendrix Miller homers to tie the game. Jose Campos in the 10th allows a two-out single and subsequent walk. An error on a ground ball scores a run. Campos walks the next three men to force in two more runs, all unearned. Hugh Anderson works around an infield error to get the save in the bottom of the inning. Madison Cruz gets a win with a perfect ninth. New York’s dramatic comeback 10-7 win finishes a sweep, but they get outhit 13-9. The Motorgirls beat the Stanton Dolphins that day at home 8-5 on Crystal Lewis’ walk-off line drive three-run blast in the eighth after a two-out hit and walk off of Meagan Gibson.

The Subways sweep the Dragons ladies’ team in Canton after sweeping them at home in 2013 and win the first game 4-1, scoring all runs in the seventh on three hits with two outs off of reliever Ali Willis. Ted Husain hits the tiebreaking three-run blast and Canton scores its one run in the sixth. James Cooper in the next game hits a leadoff double in the first off of Deana Benner, runs to second on a single, and scores via Hank Rutenberg’s force out. Loren Pierre doubles and Dick Weaver’s fielder choice scores a run. Rick Hague’s double scores another and Ted Husain homers to put his team up 6-0. In the bottom of the inning, Francis Jeremiah hits a leadoff double off of Zane Serena. Tracy Lai’s single moves her to third. Lai steals second after a strikeout. Jeremiah scores on Kelsey Stewart’s groundout, as Erin Evans’ double scores Lai before Lara Basin’s homer makes it 6-4 Subways, but Canton does not score again off of Serena or Bernie Hales. Cooper’s leadoff shot in the fourth off of Benner makes it 7-4 Subways as Husain’s second blast of this game in the sixth off of Kasey Southern after a walk raises that lead to 9-4. Next inning, they load the bases with one out off of Gina Twain. Kenneth House’s groundout makes it 10-4 Subways, the final. They take the final one 1-0, the only run scoring on James Cooper’s groundout with a runner at third in the first.

The Motorgirls host the Auburn Warriors for three games and take the first 1-0 with the single run scored in the seventh on Christina Bay’s sacrifice fly off of Sam Park after three walks load the bases with no outs. Auburn wins the next one 16-1, scoring five runs off of Erica Beach in the first, four in the fourth off of her and Kathie Petite, and seven in the sixth off of Carol DeVito. Sherri Johnson makes her pitching debut with 1 2/3 shutout innings. Her team scores its one run in the seventh off of reliever Beverley To on Joyce Camp’s groundout. Auburn in the last loads the bases in the first on a single and two walks off of Jo Wei when Vivian Gold’s first career grand slam puts them ahead 4-0. Savanna Mathis’ shot off of her puts Auburn up 5-0 in the second. Cathy Ohms allows back-to-back leadoff singles in the bottom half and then Dakota Russel’s double makes it 5-2 Warriors. They get those runs back in the third via Sara Elias’ double after a single and walk off of Carol DeVito. Erica Beach gives up back-to-back hits to start off the seventh and Shawn Ivan homers. Auburn gets two more hits that inning. New York in the lower half gets two two-out singles off of Maria Abraham, but Joyce Camp strikes out with women at second and third to close the game. Her team loses 10-2 despite outhitting Auburn 13-10. They strand 11 girls and Auburn strands five.

 

 

Go to part:2  3 

 

 

Copyright © 2017 Winson Thai
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"