Chronicles Of Zefaria: The Plight Of The Free Peoples (1)
Michael Harris

 

Chapter One

A Conspiracy in Archmide


Tonomoli Foster entered his customary stance while his Coasha instructor, Master Archameadees, paced about him. Both had blades in their tight grip, though Tonomoli's was perhaps the more sacred, it being the legendary Coasha Blade used by the one who conceptualized Coasha himself, Tal'On Kepp. The blade was a visual piece of work, with a diamond embedded where the hilt and the sword met. It had been successfully passed down from generation to generation until it finally came into the hands of the young lad himself, Tonomoli. Master Archameadees had used it, but it was now Tonomoli's turn to unearth its massive power. This was his first exercise with it, a sparring contest with his master, but he would give no hint of inexperience in the early goings. Finally after much pacing, Tonomoli lunged at his master and the battle began. Certainly their exposition was a visual treat for any who cared to watch. Both moved at lightning speeds, as was customary for anyone trained in the art of Coasha. There was ducking and dodging, flipping, incredible displays of quick reflexes, and swords that struck true with every swipe. Anyone watching would probably say that Master Archameadees had a slight edge, as there were quite a few times where he'd strike Tonomoli on his body. Luckily the two wore protective garments. Finally after a laborious exposition, Master Archameadees called for a halt in the action. Tonomoli looked at him questioningly.

"Is there something wrong, master?"

"'Wrong'? No, no, there's nothing 'wrong,'" said Master Archameadees, huffing and puffing. "Except for, perhaps, that I'm becoming exhausted."

Prailee Orensadden, a dwarven companion of Tonomoli's who'd been watching the action, approached the pair. He spoke gruffly.

"'Exhausted'? That may prove true, but that was still some fine fighting, so fine in fact that you make me wish that my people would embrace such aesthetics. If I may say so, Coasha is art for the eyes."

"That may be true," said Master Archameadees. "But it takes a toll on the body. Tonomoli?"

Tonomoli stood steadfast, awaiting his master's reply.

"You fought well. The Coasha Blade is yours now. I trust you'll use it to bring some good to this world."

"I will, master."

"Fine then. I don't want to hold you. I know that you wanted to catch that illusionist show. As for me, I shall retire for the night. I'll see you in the morning."

Master Archameadees headed for his quarters. Tonomoli looked as though there was something bothering him.

"Thank you, master--for everything."

Master Archameadees replied with a nod of his head and continued about his way.

"Well then, shall we be off? I don't want to miss the beginning!"

�"I'm excited too. A real illusionists, right here in Archmide!"

Tonomoli placed the Coasha Blade in its sheath and the two headed for the exit. The moon shone big and bright in the night sky. There were very few pockets of people out. Most had either retired for the night or had already purchased tickets to see the illusionist. Tonomoli and Prailee stood in a small line where they purchased their tickets. There was a good deal of talking going on inside of the club. Tonomoli and Prailee hurriedly made their way to a table. Just as they were doing so the announcer began introducing the illusionist.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to first thank you all for coming to tonight's performance. Now I'd like to ask you all to give a big round of applause for our traveling entertainer and expert illusionist Ahab Aminadab!"

There was an explosion of applause and some yelling. Ahab Aminadab came on stage. As a rule, it had to be a big stage, as illusionists need lots and lots of room. Ahab took a bow and then began speaking.

"Thank you, thank you very much. Tonight, my fair people of Archmide, tonight you'll be treated to the story of Prince Remo and Princess Delilah, two lovers torn because of unapproving families. And now, I shall begin."

Suddenly, and without notice, the backdrop of a colossal castle appeared on stage. Equally without notice, Ahab spun himself in a circle and changed into a man wearing regalia. A woman came running from the gates of the castle and the two embraced.

"Oh Remo! My darling Remo!"

"Delilah! My adoring Delilah! How I've missed you so."

The two kissed one another.

"My father," said Delilah, "He despises of our union. Whatever shall we do?"

"We shall disown them."

Delilah gasped.

"Disown them? But--where would we go--who would take to us?"

"I don't know, my dear Delilah, but as long as we're together...that is all that matters."

At this time another man wearing royal regalia came from the castle, this time escorted by two knights.

"Delilah! Delilah!" he called. "Come back here!"

"My father! Whatever shall I do?"

"Don't worry. I will come back for you. Tonight. Look for me."

Remo kissed her passionately and ran off. Delilah's father caught up to her. Tonomoli was enjoying himself up to a certain point.

"Prailee? Do you see that?"

Prailee was entrenched in the performance and it took an effort for him to adjust.

"Huh? What?"

"There. Orcs."

Tonomoli pointed to a corner of the club that was filled with Orcs. There was nine of them and they were all sitting together.

"Indeed I do. What business do ye suppose they have here? And what are they doing so far away from the Valderghof?"

"I don't know--" said Tonomoli. "But I'd like to find out."

The performance continued on: there was fight scenes, and tearful good-byes, and a whole slew of other things, but Tonomoli was now wholly focused on the business of the Orcs. When the performance finally did end, everyone gave a standing ovation to Ahab, everyone except for Tonomoli and Prailee that is.

"Let's follow them," said Tonomoli.

"Indeed."

People poured out of the club, and most were still talking about the one-man performance. There was some who noticed the Orcs and began to congregate to question their reasons for being there. Tonomoli and Prailee stayed a good distance away from the Orcs, as they managed to go unseen the entire way. The Orcs had a camp set up a few miles away from Archmide. Tonomoli and Prailee hid behind a bush and watched from a good distance away, but close enough so that they could hear what they were saying.

"That Ahab Aminadab, I like him," said one of the Orcs speaking hoarsely. "We should hire him to work for us full time."

"That would set us back a great deal monetary wise," another said. "Besides, he'd be too frightened to perform."

"True, true," another said. "But that would do for entertainment in and of itself."

The Orcs all laughed. Tonomoli began to feel agitated.

"I wish they'd let slip something of importance."

"We may have to do a little kidnapping," said Prailee with a smile.

So the two waited until the Orcs fell asleep and they crept over to the camp. It was quite noisy, as just about every Orc was snoring. Tonomoli pointed to an out-of-the-way Orc. The two went over to him and picked him up, Tonomoli at the feet and Prailee at the head. They then carried him a great distance away from the camp, so as to avoid him waking his companions. Finally Tonomoli smacked him on his head. He awoke, startled.

"Huh? What? Who are you and where am I?"

"We'll ask the questions," said Tonomoli. "And you'll give us the answers. Who are you working for and why have you come here?"

"What? You two don't frighten me," said the Orc as he stood. "As if a puny Man and Dwarf could stand up to the might of one Orc. It would take ten men to equal me!"

"Not when one of those men is a Coasha monk," said Prailee.

Now the face of the Orc became contorted, and visibly one could tell that he was frightened.

"Coasha monk?" he said.

Tonomoli pulled out his Coasha Blade and it shone even at night.

"Tell us or else," said Prailee.

"I can't--I can't give away our plans--I'll be hanged."

Tonomoli made a motion with his sword as if he was about to attack him and the Orc shrieked.

"Var Heflekar!" He screamed hoarsely.

"Var Heflekar," said Tonomoli almost to himself.

"Var Heflekar," repeated the Orc.

"I know of this Var Heflekar," said Prailee. "He's the leader of the Valderghof brand of Orcs. He takes orders from Osmadaan himself."

"Osmadaan?" said Tonomoli. "Is Osmadaan preparing to invade Archmide?"

The Orc hesitated.

"I--I--"

"Tell me," said Tonomoli. "Tell me or I'll--" Tonomoli raised his sword as if to strike.

"Yes. Yes he is. We were ordered to scope out Archmide. Those were our orders. Now, can I leave?"

"Leave?" said Prailee. "Leave? I should hewn you down from where you stand."

"It's alright, Prailee," said Tonomoli. "Let him go."

"Eh? All right. You can go."

The Orc hurriedly went about his way.

"What do we do now?" said Prailee. "Archmide doesn't have the manpower to stand against the Valderghof."

"I don't know--but I must tell Master Archameadees. Perhaps he'll know what to do."

Chapter 2

Nefandus Greyclothen



The two trekked back toward Archmide. There was very little talking. Both were too concerned about the fate of the city. Archmide had been set up by Master Archameadees in 681 AMD (After Monafia's Death). It was a place particularly where Coasha monks could go to hone their craft. There was no standing army in Archmide, but there was yet a good deal of Coasha Monks in the city. Still, they'd not last long against an onslaught from the Valderghof. Tonomoli wondered how they'd even stand a chance against Var Heflekar and the Valderghof. Then he noticed something. Someone was posting a message in the dead of the night, and out of sheer curiosity, he wanted to read it.

"Huh? Where are you going?" said Prailee. "Master Archameadees quarters is this way."

"I want to see what this says."

It was actually the kind of news that he'd want to read. The country of Chisolom was hosting a council, a council where all the free peoples of Zefaria was invited. Apparently recent skirmishes between the Osmadaania controlled Aundar and the Dwarven Stronghold of Galtigor had caused this meeting. The post further suggested that each country send at least one representative.

"Chisolom is hosting a council, and I'm going to be at this meeting," said Tonomoli. "Perhaps we could get some military assistance from Chisolom or the Bravada Empire."

"Yes," said Prailee. "Yes, perhaps we could. That's one heck of an idea."

"Then it is settled. Tomorrow I will tell Master Archameadees about Osmadaania's plot to capture Archmide and also about this great council."

The two went their seperate ways, Tonomoli was heading to his quarters in Master Archameadees dwelling place, while Prailee was heading for his house. At least they had ended the night on a positive note, after such a tragic revelation.
��
The next morning Tonomoli told Master Archameadees about what that Orc had told him. By this time, Prailee had made his way to the Archmeadees household as well. Master Archameadees wasn't frightened upon hearing the news, or if he was he didn't show it. His demeanor was marked by calmness, and he tossed the matter over in his head a few times.

"So--" said Master Archameadeees, "Osmadaan seeks to widen his territory by attacking Archmide. This is news indeed. While I had hoped that he would cease after annexing Thangoon, I wasn't wholly sure that he would. However, I must confess that I have no contingency plan for this--"

"Aye, but we do," said Prailee.

Tonomoli now told his master about the council that was to be held at Chisolom. Master Archameadees breathed a sigh of relief.

"Well, now that you've told me this nugget of news, I can rest easy a bit. Perhaps we could garner some assistance from one of the more established countries."

"That's what we were thinking," said Tonomoli. "I can go to the council as a representative of Archmide. And Prailee can accompany me."

"That sounds like a solid idea then. So, when did you plan on leaving?"

Tonomoli said that they didn't really set a timetable, so Master Archameadees came up with one for them: they would leave immediately.

"I'll go pack my things," said Prailee.

"And I'll help Tonomoli with his things," said Master Archameadees.

Soon the Dwarf and Coasha monk stood at the gates of Archmide, preparing to head out toward Chisolom. Both of them carried on their backs rather large backpacks and Tonomoli had with him his Coasha Blade whereas Prailee carried with him a large ax. Before they were to set out, Master Archameadees gave them a little advice.

"Be wary. If Archmide is now under the scope of Osmadaania then it wouldn't surprise me if there are other countries targeted in its radar as well. It may well be that you'll run into several bands of Orcs on your way to Chisolom."

"Don't worry, master," said Tonomoli. "The enemy won't get one over on us."

And with that the duo set out. The sun shone high in the sky, however it was rather cool for a September twenty-first, as well it should be. The road was smoothed quite thoroughly, and with the two being so close to Archmide they saw no reason not to use it. In their packs they carried with them mostly dry foods, like bread and some variations of cheese, several fruits, and several flasks of water. It would be a while before they came across their first river so packing the water was essential. They also carried fishing rods. Feelo fish was a delicacy in Zefaria and the two planned on catching a few. Money was something that they had as well and a great deal of it, for the purpose of buying more food at the different destinations ahead.

In terms of how they were feeling, well, there was a marked difference between the two. Prailee had been on and through adventures before, he being originally from the Dwarven Stronghold of Galtigor. Whether it was digging up precious jewels or fighting off Orcs, Prailee was no novice. But Tonomoli--being only in his early twenties-- had never experienced anything quite like this before. Sure, one could say that his training as a Coasha monk could serve as an adventure in and of itself, but in terms of leaving his homeland and embarking on a magnificent quest of sorts, well, he had no experience. And he suddenly realized this. A feeling of inadequacy came over him. Prailee noticed this.

"Huh? Is there something wrong, Tonomoli?"

"--No. There's nothing wrong."

He preferred not to get Prailee involved in such a private matter. As time went on he would be tested and the feeling would pass.

It was night. Tonomoli and Prailee had made their way much into Foster Forest, but now they were resting. They had gathered together a good deal of wood to fuel a fire, and they were presently cooking some sausage. The journey from Archmide to Chisolom would probably take them four days, which is good because they had a whole month until the Great Council.

"I am a great deal famished," said Prailee with a mouthful of sausage. "After I finish off this sausage, I'm going straight to bed."

 

 

Go to part:2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

 

 

Copyright © 2003 Michael Harris
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"