Claustrum Chap. 4
Mathew Hamm

 

Awake

John opened his eyes, then closed them again, his mind recalled everything that had happened a few minutes ago, or had it been minutes?, he wondered. His head throbbed and pounded. His stomach felt very woozy and his muscles ache bad.
He opened his eyes and looked around the room,it seemed the same, everything look exactly as it was where he had fallen asleep, except there was no man around to help him. He sat up, this was done with much trouble however, it seemed as if his body did not want to respond to his command, as a matter of fact nothing seemed to be working right, but he managed it, and looked about the room, there in one corner was a small chair with a pile of clothing on it, he did not recall seeing it there before and tried to remember. He looked at his naked body, the chrome like color was gone, that could only mean one thing, he was in Claustrum.
He stood his legs trembled a little and as soon as his hands left the side of the place he laid, he fell hard to the ground. Nothing seemed to be working, even when he fell, he tried to put his hands down to stop himself from hitting the ground at full force, but his arms moved to slow.
As he laid on the ground he tried to turn him self around, but his hands did not respond as he wished, after many tries, he managed to lay on his back. He raised his arm and moved it around, it moved, but not in the way he wanted to, it seemed to be dragging behind where it was supposed to be, as if leaving a trail.
He laid on the ground for quite some time, moving his arms and legs, moving every part of his body, it was apparent to him that the drugs they had given him had not worn of.
After much practice, he decided to stand and take his chances again. After a few tries, he managed to stand and take a couple of steps, then he leaned on the metal bed and stretched his muscles.
Soon after he walked back and forth for a little while, then around the place that had served him as a bed, holding the sides of it. He stood and squatted over and over, for quite sometime, and after being satisfied that he could manage walking again he walked over to the chair and picked up the clothing that laid in it.
The clothing felt weird to the touch, he remembered what the Judge had said about the Chrome like stuff all over his body, and how it helped to feel the virtual world. He rubbed his fingers, followed by his arms, this was something he would have to get used to, he thought.
He picked up the short sleeve shirt, and put it on, immediately he felt a little warmth all over his chest and back, the sensation reminded him on how a heating blanket felt.
The trousers however were a different story. First of he did not find any under garments to put on, then he sat down on the chair and tried to put them on. This was more complicated then he would have believe, but after a while of struggling he managed to put them on. Again the warm sensation was felt all over his legs, thighs and buttocks.
Under his chair, he found a pair of soft leather boots, he managed to put them on, a little easier than the trousers.
After he managed to put all his clothes on, he walked around the room getting used to walking with these new boots of his. He felt the warmth and softness of them, he even felt the tightness around his feet, but the whole walking feeling was like walking on mud, he seemed to be slow to start walking and even slower at stopping, almost walking into walls.
When he finally felt comfortable with them, he decided to leave his room. As he walked towards the door, he tried to stop, with out success, he smashed into the door. He rubbed his forehead, the pain was there, but like everything else, it was different, this time it felt more like an electric shock, of course they used electricity to simulate pain, he thought.
One thing was for sure he was used to doors opening all by themselves, so he looked up and down at the door and found something that resembled a door knob, he reached for it, turned it and pushed the door open, he stood there remembering something similar during his youth.
�Well there is something I will have to get used to again� he mumbled to him self.
He walked through the door he found him self in a long dark corridor. He quickly glanced about it and noticed quite a few doors lined up on either side of the hall. Fire torches hung here and there barely lighting up the hallway. At one end of the hall was complete darkness, the other end light could be seen peering through an opened door.
He turned and began to walk towards the lit room, as he approached it, he herd voices, but even these mixed with the pain and throbbing of his headache seemed to be like a part of a clash of sounds. The room was small and cramped, there was three people waiting on line to talk to and old man that sat at a table on the other end of the room.
The old man had similar clothes to John�s, he bore a long white beard on his face, and a small cap that looked more like something he slept in.
�Strange, isn't it?� the man in front of John asked, as he saw John.
John looked down on the man, he too was wearing the same type of clothing as him, everything matched, even the colors. The man had dark short hair and blue eyes. He was short, and somewhat over weight.
John then tried to answer, but couldn�t. His tongue did not respond to his commands.
�Move your tongue about your mouth, you have to get used to it� the man said.
John did so, and it seemed that it barely responded. But after a few tries he managed quite well to do what it wanted to do. Finally he spoke. �Hard getting used to all this� he replied.
The man nodded in agreement and turned back to face the line.
�So, this is Claustrum?� John asked the man.
The man turned back and answered �yes sir, this is the famous Claustrum, the one and only� the man replied.
�Well that explains it� commented John.
�Did you try to walk before you could crawl?� the man asked with a grin on his face and a small laugh.
John glanced back at the man, apparently he had gone through the same thing, or at least knew of other who have done the same thing.
�that is a saying that goes common here in Claustrum, you have to learn to crawl before you can walk, and that goes for everything else that you do here, just wait and see� the man explained.
The man standing in front of the old man grabbed a backpack given to him, and walked around the table and went through a side door, disappearing in the dark.
�About frigging time� shouted the man that now faced the elder. He walked up to the table and Pounded his hands hard on the table.
�What is your name?� the old man asked, disregarding the man�s attitude.
�What no apologies or nothing old man?� the brute asked.
The old man sat there staring at the book before him, pen in hand.
�The name, please?� the old man asked raising his head.
Johnathan felt his anger was beginning to rise, how could one treat such an old man with those manners, no matter what day and age, John knew better, or was thought better to treat elders with respect.
�I wouldn't do that if I was him� whispered the man in front of John.
John looked back puzzled at the man �what do you mean?�
�you see, the elder is a Guardian CCC, short for Computer Controlled Character, as you and I are IC�s or Inmate characters, that man there is being controlled by a computer� the man explained.
More shouting was herd, then a commotion, John looked over and his head pulled back and his eyes wide open, there before him sat this old man, holding the ruffian by the throat in mid air, and with one hand, John could not believe it.
�see what I mean� the man said
�but how?� John asked.
�like I was saying they are computer controlled, and they are pretty much invincible, or so they say, all I know is that when one is in their presence, one best keep the peace� the man explained.
After a few seconds the man cried out mercilessly, the old man put him back down and kept working filling out the paper work, and once more asked for the mans name.
�How do you know all this?� John asked.
�well, you see, this is my second time here� the men answered.
John nodded �ah, of course�
�Yea, this time I�m in for five years, but to me that time goes way to fast for me�
�why?� John asked in disbelief.
�I don�t have a life in the real word, here I have everything, including a woman waiting on me at home, you know� the men explained.
�You mean to tell me that you got your self into this hell, on purpose?�
�See, for those who have a life in the outer world, its easy to question my intentions, but I a lonely man, with nothing to turn to, but this...�the man paused and looked at the ground �This is all I�ve know, all I wish to know, here I have land and a woman, and will die happy�
John looked at the man with disbelief, how can one be so, naive, even the poor illegals in the street managed to be happy and have a life of their own, and here was this man, as if addicted to this prison, calling a virtual life his own, nonsense, he thought.
The man seemed to be reading John�s mind �Still question why I choose to be here?� he asked.
�trying to make sense of it, thats all�
�You see out there� he pointed up and used his fingers as exclamations �I'm not only poor, but also, was cursed with a face and body that disgusts just about every woman I come across, here I can choose to alter my face, therefore it makes me happy and secure�
�where can I change my appearance?� John asked, he wished to change some of his basic looks, after all there were people here, that he had put here, he did not want any extra trouble while in the prison.
The man gave a smile �well there is two types of people that want to change their appearance this fast, those who work for the law and those who worked for the law and broke it, now witch of the two are you?� the man asked.
�the latter one� John replied.
�I thought so, don� worry, your secret is safe with me� the man leaned as he mumbled it in a low voice to John.
�So when can I change my appearance?� John asked once more, a bit more irritated this time.
�Soon enough, remember cra...�
�crawl before you walk� John interrupted.
�there you go, you are learning fast� the man answered mockingly.
�Whats your name anyways?� John asked.
�my name is George, but here I am called Geomar� he answered.
�I am John� John did not think it necessary to give his last name, this was something he would avoid at all costs.
�Well John, look me up, if you ever near my lands, I live about three miles south of the city of Albanova, in the country of Moratova� Said Geomar.
�If I do run by there, I will look you up� answered John.
�Just ask by my name, people know me there and will guide you to me� Geomar finally reached the elder, and preceded to talk to him, after a few minutes, he was given a pack and then he to disappeared by the side door.
Johnathan stepped up to the elder, he looked behind and found that there were two more behind him, a large woman and a black man. He then returned his attention to the old man.
�Name please?� The elder asked.
�Johnathan Baird�
The elder wrote on the paper, then again he asked �occupation?�
John looked at the old man, but did not answered. He felt that to tell this man his occupation would give him problems down the road.
The elder man raised his head and looked at John.
�Occupation!� he demanded.
John leaned over to him and in a low voice answered �MPF Officer�
The elder man wrote without even twitching at the thought of John saying that he was an MPF officer. But then John thought that how could he, when he just was a computer. Then he turned around to see if anyone behind him had herd, but they just stared at him coldly.
�Time to serve?� the elder asked.
�three years�
Johnathan wondered how this elder was just a computer controlled character as Geomar had said, he looked so real, and wise at that.
The old man turned around on his seat and picked up what seemed to be a handful of coins, he then graved a sack and placed them in it, then he graved the larger pack and placed the coin sack within it and gave it to John.
�Before you leave Claustrum fort, you must visit the Halls of Justice and talk to Scribe Williams�
John nodded as he graved the back pack, then looked at the elder with a questioning face as he pointed towards the door. The old man nodded in agreement. He then turned to take one last look at those who were in line. Finally he walked off and disappeared through the same door that the others have gone through.
There, he was received by another CCC or so he thought, he figured that just about everyone that worked here must be CCC�s. A smile was formed on the mans face.
�Good evening sir, I am guide Arelis, here to assist you� the man said.
�Guide?� John asked.
Arelis nodded �Yes I will help you get accustomed to the ways of Claustrum� He replied.
�Will you answer questions?� John asked.
�Yes I will answer any question that is in my database immediately, if its not in the database I will find the answer for you� Arelis answered.
Arelis showed a hand to John indicating that he should walk that way, John passed and the man followed. They walked out into an opened patio, that seemed to be more like a small park. A large tree grew out of the center, providing shade from the bright sun.
The sun, it was beautiful, only on the screen could one see such things thought John. The rays shined through the tree casting its brilliance all over the place. How could one create such beautiful things, he wondered.
The walls around the whole place were of large solid stone blocks and the only way out of the place was through a door on the other side of the room, across a small bridge that went over a pond.
Everywhere John looked there were woman and men, sitting, talking and some even sleeping over the grassy ground. It was almost like a dream.
�I do not see the man that came before me?� he asked.
�He does not have to go through the routine, since it was his second time here� the guide responded.
�So this is like a get to know each other room?� John asked mockingly.
�Yes, here is where you can learn about Claustrum� Arelis replied.
�That was a joke, Arelis� John explained.
Arelis looked at him puzzled and said �I am sorry, but if, there was a joke in your comment, it did not register�
�right, right� answered John.
�Well lets get comfortable� John said as he walked over to an empty bench and sat down, he then noticed Geomar laying down on a near by patch of grass.
�Can you tell me where we are� John asked.
�You are in the Virtual prison of Claustrum�
Johnathan muttered at him self angrily, of course the guide needed to be asked specific questions.
�What city is this?� he asked once more.
�This is Claustrum fort, the place where all inmates come in and go out of Claustrum� Arelis explained.
�All prisoners around the world?� John asked.
�Yes�
�But I only saw three or four people in line when I arrived?� John asked.
�Yes, usually three or four people arrive every couple of minutes� the guide explained.
Of course, John was only in the room for a couple of minutes, so that is all that he saw, it made sense.
�And what is this building we are in?�
�This is the House of Resting, you will be here for up to two weeks learning and adapting to Claustrum�s ways and rules� Arelis answered.
�So what do I need to do survive in this place?� John asked.
�Well first you need to know what you want to do withing the prison, there is a wide selection of skills you can choose from� Arelis answered.
�So pretty much get a job?�
�yes, you must work to earn pay, and food, otherwise you will starve� Areliz answered.
�So there is a pretty good system of commerce within the prison?�
�oh, yes, there are markets, towns and cities, rich people and poor people, and, everything in between� the guide answered.
They continued talking for the most part of the night, then the morning came, and with it came tiredness. John Yawned and said �Even sleep, troubles one in this world, huh?�
�Yes sleep is a necessity in Claustrum, if you don't sleep your strength will not recover� Arelis answered.
�Very well, I am getting tired, can you show me where I am to sleep?�
Arelis stood and asked John to follow, he did. For a short time they walked down a few halls, finally Arelis opened a door and showed him in.
�Will I see you later?� John asked.
�Yes I will be here when you wake up, no need to worry�
�Well I am glad I still need to know much more about this place� John implied.
�Here you are, get comfortable, and make your self at home, I will be with you when you wake to aid you in any possible way� Arelis said as he turned and walked away.
As he walked in the small room he found a small candle on top of the table, he walked over and sat down on the chair and took of his leather boots. He then herd laughter coming from somewhere near, but was to tired to pay attention. He blew out the candle and found him self in total darkness.
He felt his way over to the single bed and laid in it, his thoughts wondered of to the last months happenings and where he had come to be, in a whole new world, a place one could only dream of, and with this he fell asleep.

 

 

Copyright © 2009 Mathew Hamm
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"