Bpd: Danger Rising-Part 1 (1)
Patrick Collins

 

CHAPTER I:
OBJECTIONS TO THE BOSS




February 13th 1997-
Deep in the depths of Northern California, there was a large citadel. If it were not for the extreme technology that kept it hidden from the naked eye, it would have to have been shut down. Though it looked like some sort of power station, or a secret laboratory of some kind, it was really the home of almost the whole of Steven Gronic’s army of professional criminals. Also known as ‘The Faceless Leader’, Gronic was a very smart man, in terms of computer and tech knowledge, but was very corrupt. He was raised in the slums of L.A., and was unable to go to a school fitting his level of intelligence. The kids at the school he did attend always picked on him for getting such good grades. So eventually, he decided to run away from home. He joined one of the two so-called ‘Organized Gangs’ and fought many secret battles with them. He was part of the western side. In the second-to-last battle in what later became known as ‘The Great Gang War’ (in which the West battled the East for a territorial spot for their troops,) Gronic invented a special acid poison that stretched skin-pores open too wide and the acid then burned the skin until it resembled melted rubber. After Gronic gave his first batch to them, the western gang decided to test the fluid on Gronic himself, just to see how it worked, and do so without his consent. He was nearly killed and left the conflict forever. In the following battle, a rare phenomenon occurred: the too sides shot at the same time and all hit their targets perfectly, every soldier of both sides were killed simultaneously. But one escaped. Benicio Gurtez, whose father was killed in the first battle of the war, took over the Eastern gang after his father’s death, but left during the last battle, for an unknown reason. He was the sole survivor of the conflict. There had been several rumors about a ‘Last Survivor’ of the secret war, but nearly all were absurd. The most popular was the so-called ‘Soldier of the Simple’ who only carried a wooden staff, a leather belt that he used like a whip, and an unfinished electric device. Gronic actually believed this man might have existed, and tried to track him down. But a few years later he met Benicio, and hired him as a leader of a special division of his army. Gronic had been tying for many years to complete his so-called ‘Easy Robber’ device. It would be able store an item into a memory cell and replace it with a fake, there for making it easy to rob homes and banks and so on. But he needed one component to make the fake replacements realistic. And only one person knew it: Robert Watson, who was long since dead. But his descendant was not so. Gronic knew full well Watson’s descendant did not know the secret, but he decided to send someone to kill him, just for revenge on Watson’s grave. But the plan failed. A person had peeped the story to a few cops in Bloomington, Indiana. Gronic now wanted to kill her instead. He was about to meet with Gurtez to discuss the matter. At that moment his desk-bell rang.
“Come in.” He said.
 Instead of a door opening, the bell rang again.
“Begging you Pardon sir,” Said the voice. “But I am on the lower levels, I just wanted a word over the intercom.”
Gronic nodded. “Sure Benicio.” He said. “What is it?”
He heard Benicio sigh on the other end. “I won’t be able to come to the meeting.” He said. “But I can tell you I will be able to eliminate Begri for you.”
Gronic sighed. “That will not be necessary, Commander Gurtez.” He said. “I sent General Wright on an errand to recruit a new member to our staff, a Mr. Gary Arch. Are you familiar with him?”
“Yes I am, sir.” Said Benicio. “He is a cunning criminal from Virginia. But I consider him dishonorable. He will likely use a shot to the back of the head to kill Begri. That is strongly against my personnel mandate. I thought you would know that.”
Gronic sighed. “I knew fully well you would say that.” He said. “But I want this Begri girl dead, and fast. Your uses of honorable tactics are a smidge bit slowly. If what Mr. Georgeton told me is true, then you will consider Begri good enough for a fair fight. What if she lives?”
 “She won’t live, even if she is honorable.” Said Benicio. “Nobody has ever escaped me.”
Gronic could tell Gurtez was angry. “Sorry, commander.” He said. “But this job will go to Mr. Arch.” He then pressed the intercom off.

FOUR DAYS LATER-
Gronic had been waiting for a long time for a message from Bernard Wright, but he had received nothing of the sort. He was supposed to have made contact with him two days prior. A long last, his desk-bell beeped. He pressed it down.
“Hello, Gronic speaking.” He said. The voice on the other line was that of Bernard Wright.
 “Hello sir.” He said weakly. “Mr. Arch has agreed to do the job.”
 There was a pause. “And?” Said Gronic.
Wright took a moment. “He is a maniac. I now agree with commander Gurtez on this issue. I can hardly see because he broke my glasses, and I can hardly hear because...” He paused again. “...Because I am missing half of my ear. He shot me! He actually shot at me for no good reason!”
Gronic paused. “Send in the code-named: ‘S.O.S’.” He said. “He will take care of it.”
“Yes sir.” Said Mr. Wright.
Gronic clicked off his inter-com. He sighed.


CHAPTER II:
HONOR AND INTELLEGENCE


APRIL 15TH 1997-
Gary Arch was on his way to the home of Ella Begri, the woman he was hired to kill. She lived in Bloomington, Indiana, a long way from Mexico. He had taken a plane down there, but the drive still took hours from where his plane had landed. He had a lot time to fool around with, so he visited the IU campus and even went to a neat restaurant called ‘Silver Town’ and ate lunch. Nobody in the world would even think one of America’s most wanted criminals. He had shaved his beard and adopted a pair of thin-framed glasses, and had a copy of ‘A Beginners Guide to Psychology by Gerald Bibeau’ in his hand, to give him the look of a college student. Finally, on the fifth day of him trip to Indiana, he found where Ella worked. He approached a brick building about five miles from the IU campus with a small sign hanging from a tree that read: “STATION ONE: SPECIAL DIVISION OF THE BLOOMINGTON POLICE DEPARTMENT”. Gary had heard the story of the ‘Special division’ years ago. Some of the police officers had wanted to do their own kind of crime fighting, and get what they wanted in pay. So the BPD had decided to form the three ‘Stations’. Gary proceeded to walk inside the building. A security guard approached him.
“Identification, please.” Said the guard.
Gary had come prepared. He flipped out a perfect fake of a police I.D..
The security guard eyed him. “I haven’t seen you before.” He said. “Are you new?”
Gary nodded. “As my I.D. says, my name is Detective Douglas Downing,” He said. “I transferred here from the 13th prescient. Where is the office of miss Ella Lily Begri?”
The guard paused. “You mean, ‘No-Shot Begri’?” He said with a laugh. “She is Derek Georgeton’s assistant. You should find her in the office next to his on the third floor.”
Gary nodded. “Thank you, sir.” He said.
He went up to the elevators and pushed the ‘UP’ button. Ounce he was inside and going up, coming out of the elevator next to his was none other than Ella Begri, taking a trip to S3. Eventually Gary got off the elevator and went to Ella’s office; it was empty. He found the person nearest to him: a young male cop.
“Excuse me sir.” Said Gary. “Do you know where Miss Ella Lily Begri is off to?”
The cop nodded.
“Yeah.” He said. “She said she was going over to Station Three for break. Don’t I know you? You look familiar.”
Gary shook his head, nervously. This cop might recognize me from the wanted ads! He thought.
 “No I don’t think I’ve met you before.” Said Gary. “Thanks for the tip, bye!”
With that he went back to the elevators, back downstairs and out the door. He got in his car (which had stolen of course) and went down to Station Three. No big deal! Thought Gary. I couldn’t have killed her in front of all those people anyway! I’ll just follow her home, and then do it. As he approached Station Three, he saw people putting yellow Crime-Scene Tape all around the building. He decided to camp out until they went away. After about an hour or two, the cops cleared off and four new people came out of the building. Gary recognized one these people from a picture given to him by Bernard Wright: it was Ella Begri. Gary watched as one by one, the four people got into separate cars. Begri was the last to do so. She got into her Honda Accord and turned southward on the road. He followed her. Eventually she turned into a house, and went inside. Gary parked on the side of the street in front of the one of the neighboring homes and waited. After a whole night with no one coming out, he decided to be a bit more active. He got out of his car and hid inside of Begri’s Accord. In a few minutes, she would come back outside, and then he would shoot her, his job would be done, and he would be an official member of the G-Force.

* * *

THREE HOURS LATER-
This is hopeless! Ella thought to herself. She was looking through Trevor’s archives for information on her boss. She looked and looked and looked. Nothing. Glancing at her watch she saw it was time to visit Trevor. She walked out to her car and got in. As she put the keys into the ignition she felt something touch her neck. She turned around. A man was pointing a gun in her face. Remembering her training, she saw the gun was a revolver and grabbed the rotating bullet chamber and pointed the gun in the other direction. She then used her left hand and punched the man in the face. Ounce her recovered he punched her in the face in return. His gun was free. He pointed it right at her forehead. Then there was a might boom. Ella then saw nothing but blackness around her. This must be how it ends. She thought. But then she saw light again; she saw everything around her in perfect detail. She felt her head; she hadn’t been shot at all! She was alive! She heard the noise again. More gunshots. She looked over, sweat still dripping from her eyebrows, and saw a man with a ski mask of sorts and orange sunglasses was beating her attacker ruthlessly with a small electric rod. Eventually he stopped, and turned to Ella. She winced. This was surely the end. But then the man stopped.
“Do not fear yet, Miss Begri.” Said the man. “I am not dishonorable, like Mr. Arch here.” He pointed to the unconscious man on the ground.
Ella began to pant. “Who are you?” She said.
The man paused. “You can call me S.O.S.” He said. “I was sent to kill you, you be honest, and kill you I shall. But first I will give you a chance to defend yourself.”
He picked up Mr. Arches gun and gave it to Ella.
“I don’t like to use guns, I will use my staff.” He got a small wooden pole, which could hardly be called a ‘staff’, and got it ready for battle. Ella noticed how unfair the situation was. The odds were against this S.O.S. character by a considerable amount.
She sighed. “Ready?” She said.
S.O.S. nodded.
Ella prepared to shoot, but her conscience got the better of her.
“Wait!” She yelled.
S.O.S. stopped. “What is wrong?” He said.
Considering how polite he was, you would never think he was a criminal at all.
Ella sighed again.
“You have been too nice so far for me to go along with this.” She said. “I have never liked shooting a gun, and I have only done it ounce before.” S.O.S. nodded again.
 “Like I said: I will kill you,” He said, as if predicting the end of a football game. “But it is sort of your choice how, go ahead and shoot me. See what happens.”
 Ella was now determined to beat this man, and everyone who knew Ella well knew that when she was determined there was nothing to stop her from her quarry. She took a deep breath, put her finger on the trigger, and pulled. She then heard the trade mark ‘POP’ and closed her eyes, but when she opened she saw the bullet had not hit S.O.S.. She shot again; this time seeing he was blocking them with his staff. She had never seen anything like this before in her life. S.O.S. looked at her through his orange spectacles.
 “See?” He said. “You cannot win.”
Ella grimaced. Oh yes I can! She thought to herself. She remembered she still had Derek Georgeton’s gun in her pocket. She pulled it out and lunged at him. He hit her in the head with his staff. She fell over, but got back up immediately. S.O.S. was shocked; all of his other victims had gone unconscious when he did that. Ella lunged at him while he was still in shock and hit him on the head with both of the guns butts. He fell over. She then pointed the gun at his shoulder and fired. He didn’t even scream, he just fainted. Ella sighed and began to walk to her car to call 911. But S.O.S. got up and grabbed her. She tried to scream, but his hand was over her mouth already. He slowly took the guns away from her.
“You are coming with me, Begri.” He said. “I have never been thrown down by an opponent, I have great respect for you. Have no fear... yet” He put her into Gary Arch’s car and drove away.













CHAPTER III:
COUSIN, FRIEND AND HERO



A FEW HOURS EARLIER-
Carrie B. Moss was following Hector Stone’s pick-up truck. They had been driving for some time and Carrie was beginning to get tired. They stopped at a hotel the night before; they were now bound for Indianapolis. Hector had ventured that they would be back in time to meet Trevor Smith at Silver Town Bar & Grill; But Carrie was starting to have doubts. Trevor would likely be waiting at the Five Star Restaurant for many an hour. Hector was leading Carrie somewhere she was not familiar with: Indianapolis. Unlike the rest of the so-called ‘Dreaded S3ers’, Carrie did not enjoy the states capital much. She liked the small townish felling that she got while in Bloomington. She had asked Hector where they were going many times, but Hector said it was for a purpose that would later be revealed to her. She was getting bored. She picked up her car-phone and dialed Hector’s car number. “Hello?” Said Hector, he had picked up the phone.
Carrie sighed.
“Where are we going Hec?” She said. “And I don’t want any of that ‘You will know later’ crap! I am not wasting any more gas money on this trip!” Hector chuckled.
“Don’t worry; I’ll pay for your gas Carrie.” He said. “We are going to see someone that was ounce a dear friend of mine...but we have not talked for a long time. I have wanted to call her for a long while but have always cowered. But now I...well, WE, I should say, need her for something. That’s all you need to know.” Then he hung up.
Carrie threw the phone on the floor of her jeep. When is he going to tell me? She thought. Carrie looked at her watch. It was 4:35; they had to meet Trevor at 7:00. Carrie picked up her phone again and dialed Hector’s number.
“What now Carrie?” Said Hector.
Carrie rolled her eyes. “We have to meet Trevor in two and a half hours!” She said. “We won’t make it back in time!”
Carrie heard Hector sigh.
“Alright,” He said. “But we leave for Indy again right after our meeting with Trevor.”
Carrie made a sigh of relief.
“Good.” She said. “Let’s go.”
“Carrie!” Said Hector. “Let’s wait for another rest stop so we can turn around!” “Heck no!” Said Carrie. “There is not one other car on this road besides us, just make a U-Turn! No one will see.”
“I don’ like that idea Carrie.” Said Hector. “There might be a cop around.” “I am a cop!” Carrie said. She did it anyway.
Hector rolled his eyes. Oh what the heck? He thought. He made a huge U-Turn and followed Carrie.
“Carrie?” He said into his phone. “Let’s stop at Trevor’s house first. To see how Ella is doing.”
Carrie snorted. “What do I care what that retard is up to?” She said.
Hector frowned.
“That ‘Retard’ saved my life Carrie!” He said. “Now I don’t care what dumb feud you two have going, we are going to check on her progress first!” “What ever ‘Dr. Stone’.” She said.
Hector nodded, (despite the fact that Carrie could not see him).
“Good.” He said. “Now let’s go!”

ONE HOUR LATER-
Hector and Carrie pulled up to Trevor’s house. They did not quite expect to see what was before their eyes: Ella’s car had a smashed window, and there was a seemingly dead man on the ground with a small wooden poll next to him. The two of them rushed out of their cars and bolted to the scene. “Ella!” Shouted Carrie. “Ella! It’s Carrie! Where are you?”
Hector put his hands to his mouth and began to shout as well.
“Ella!” He said. “Ella Begri!”
He then looked at the small pole on the ground, there were five letters carved on it: ‘B.G. S.O.S.’. Hector got his phone out of his pocket and flipped it open and dialed 911.
“This is Dr. Hector Stone,” He said. “I am requesting assistance at 1245 47th street D’Erminio County, Bloomington, Indiana. I am reporting a missing person: Ella Lily Begri. Gender: female, age: late twenties, hair color: brown, eye color: brown, height about five foot five inches tall. Been missing at least two hours.”
“We will send people up there immediately, Dr. Stone.” Said the voice on the other line. “Remain at the scene until deployments arrive.”
Hector was now panting.
“Thank you.” He said, and then he flipped his phone shut. A few minutes later a team of policemen showed up. They were from a standard prescient, not from the special division, but they were still rather good.
One came up to Hector.
“Are you Dr. Stone?” He said.
Hector nodded. “Yes.”
The cop shook his hand.
“I am detective Bart McNeil.” He said. “I was examining the scene over there.”
Hector felt a cold chill run up his spine.
“What have you come up with?” He asked.
Bart looked grim.
“We think the dead man was trying to kill Miss Begri, but this Jon Doe, this ‘B.G.S.O.S.’ guy beat him to it and took her off to finish the job.” He said.
Hector felt a small tear go down his face.
“Is there a chance she is alive?” He said.
“There is a small chance, yes.” Said Bart. “But it is slim.”
Hector could not accept this.
“She is a dear friend of mine, and even somewhat of a hero to me.” He said, and then he pointed to Carrie. “She is that woman over there’s cousin! She has to be alive! I knew her well enough to know she would give it a good fight.”
Detective McNeil shook his head.
“If she is alive, she is going straight to jail anyway, Doctor.” He said. Hector’s eyes widened.
“What?” He said. “On what charge?”
Bart snorted. “She locked up nearly all of Station Three’s cops in the basement and proceeded to tie them all up. I have a witness who saw it happen.” He said. “The witness also said that she shot him in the leg and put loud music on to distort the prisoners minds. They are afraid to tell the truth now; they say some guy in California did it. Yeah right!”
Hector could not believe this.
“Who was the witness?” He said, though he already knew in his heart.
Bart paused.
“He is going to remain anonymous.” He said.
Hector kicked at the ground in anger.
“I already know!” He said. “It’s Derek Georgeton! HE is the one who put them in the basement! He was threatening Ella! That is why she shot him!”
Bart chuckled.
“You were tied up down there too, weren’t you?” He said. “You could be just a delusional as the rest of them.”
Hector stalled. He was in the basement tied up; there was no way to prove Ella’s innocence. He walked away from the detective and sat down.
An hour later, he went up to Carrie.
“Call Trevor. “He said. “Tell him what has happened.”
She was still tearful.
“Is she gonna be alright Hec?” She asked.
Hector sighed.
“They don’t know.” He said.
Carrie dipped her head and cried. She picked up her phone and dialed Trevor’s car-phone. After a few rings he picked up.
“Hello?” He said.
“Trev?” Said Carrie. “I have terrible news.”
“What?” Asked Trevor.
Carrie sniffed. “My cousin... Ella...Ella Begri...she’s missing. She just... disappeared. They think she might be dead.” Carrie heard a loud CLUNK. “Trev?” She said. “Trev?” She then heard more clinking.
“I’m here.” He said. “Come on over here. We can talk about it then.”
Carrie sniffled.
 “Okay.” She said, and then hung up the phone.
Hector approached her.
“Well?” He said. “What did he say?”
Carrie dipped her head again.
“We are still going over to Silver Town.” She said. “Have you talked to Cedric?”
Hector nodded.
“I spoke to him while you talked to Trevor.” He said. “He says he will try to make it, but he is going to be late if he does.”
Carrie nodded so slowly that you could count how many times her head bopped.
Hector began to walk back to his truck.
“Hec?” Said Carrie.
He stopped. “Yes?” He said, as he turned to face her.
Carrie looked up at him. “What do you think?” She said. “Do you think she is alright?”
Hector paused.
“Carrie I...” He paused again. “...I hope so.”
He then went back to his truck.
Carrie remained on the bench until her heart was in condition to do otherwise.





CHAPTER IV:
STAKEOUT AT SILVER TOWN




SAME DAY, 8:41 PM-
Cedric Madison slowly descended down the smooth curving road to Silver Town Bar & Grill. The 5 star restaurant was at the bottom of a small cliff face that had a big waterfall going over one of its edges. The water fall hit a small pool that flowed in a formation that sent the water into a small sort of man made tub by the side of the building that poured out into several other small water falls. Going over the pool was a bridge made out of stone that led to the parking lot. It was quite possibly the most beautiful place to eat in the whole state. Cedric usually loved the feeling of the misty water going against his face as he crossed the bridge, but this time his mind was on more pressing matters. He found a parking spot and settled in it. He sighed and then glanced in his back seat. There was a man in it, tied in ducked tape and rope, looking like the thing between irritated and outraged. Cedric laughed at the man.
“Comfortable Mr. Georgeton?” He said.


* * *

AN HOUR AND 39 MINUTES PRIOR-
How could this be happening? Trevor thought. How? He was sitting at his booth in Silver Town waiting for Carrie, Cedric and Hector to arrive. In the past seventy-two hours, he had been tied up, kidnapped, escaped, traveled back to Indiana, and now two of his friends were missing. He felt as if Hell couldn’t be an inch worse than his current situation. He heard the doorbell ring. Hector and Carrie had arrived. Their faces were grim; they proceeded to walk to Trevor’s table. They had always used the same table ever since the “Killer Killer” case of 1995. Many times, both good and bad, had been experienced by the so-called ‘Dreaded S3’ers’ in that Restaurant. They had gained, and lost, suffered, and recovered, been happy, and sad. The place had become a haven for them. Now it held its darkest hour yet. Hector and Carrie, silently slid down the booth with Trevor. They both nodded with forced smiles as a way of greeting each other. None could think of the words to describe their feelings. After about four minutes, Hector broke the silence.
“We can’t just sit here and wait,” He said. “As much as it hurts right now, we have to face our problems head on!”
Trevor and Carrie remained silent.
Hector cleared his throat.
“David is trapped in California, and Ella is nowhere to be found!” He said. “Are we just going to leave it up to the other policemen and women to do work that concerns us more? We have to get to California, and the sooner the better! There is a good chance that is where Ella is headed as well.”
Trevor nodded.
“I agree, Hec.” He said. “We need to take action as soon as possible but...Wait a minute! Where is Cedric?”
Carrie spun her head round to the door.
“I guess he is still running late.” She said. “Oh don’t worry guys! Cedric always gets himself out of stuff, he is probably in a traffic jam or something!”
Hector didn’t look as relieved as Trevor did at her statement.
“I think something has happened to him guys.” He said. “It is NOT like Cedric to be late and not call us!”
Carrie shrugged. “He did too say he would be late!” She said. “You are a worry wart!”

 

 

Go to part:2 

 

 

Copyright © 2004 Patrick Collins
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"