Love, English Style (Chapter Seven)
Caroline Woodson

 

CHAPTER SEVEN

Hannah smiled encouragingly at the elderly woman lying on the padded table next to her. “You’re doing great Mrs.Taggert. Just two more leg lifts and you’ll be done for the day. Mrs.Taggert grimaced as she finished the last one.
“Whew, I think you really enjoy watching your patients suffer. She wiped the sweat from her face with a towel, and then smiled at Hannah. “I think you must have a mean streak hidden inside you. You’ll never catch a man if you don’t keep that sadistic streak hidden,” she teased Hannah. Hannah laughed as she helped the woman to her feet and began the slow walk back to her room.
      “What I enjoy is watchin’ the progress my patients make each day they do their prescribed exercises. Casting Mrs.Taggert a sideways glance she added, “Even though they might gripe and complain and call me names.” She squeezed Mrs. Taggert’s arm affectionately as she settled her into bed. “You just keep up with those strengthening exercises and we’ll have you back square dancin’ in no time.”
Mrs.Taggert chuckled, “Well I hope I’m better at it than I was before.” She caught Hannah’s hand in her own. “You know Hannah, you need a man.”
Surprised at the sudden change of subject matter, Hannah looked into Mrs. Taggert’s smiling face. “What brought that on,” she asked, trying to shove Jared’s image out of her mind.
 
 “Oh I don’t know it’s just that you’re such a nice young woman, you need a nice young man. Well maybe not too nice. He needs to be just bad enough to keep it interesting don’t you think?” Hannah gaped at her in shock.
            Mrs.Taggert laughed out loud, “What, you think I’m so old that I don’t remember how sweet love can be or how hot the sex can get? Why I remember when my Alvin was alive…” Laughing, Hannah held her hand up to stop Mrs.Taggert from continuing, “I think I get the


picture. It sounds like yall had a wonderful relationship. You rest now and I’ll see you tomorrow.”
            Hannah was almost to the door when Mrs. Taggert called to her. Hand on the door, Hannah turned to see Mrs.Taggert sitting up in bed. “Sometimes we girls need to be bad too, and not just to keep a man’s interest, but because it does us good to indulge ourselves now and then.” All Hannah could manage was a nod before she left the room.
What a day this has been, Hannah thought as she walked across the sweltering parking lot to her car. She had been very busy this first day of her new job learning the routine and trying to remember everyone’s name. She’d been so busy in fact that she had been able to push Jared and the memory of his kiss to the back of her mind. Sighing, Hannah started the car and turned the air conditioning on high. A blast of hot air shot out of the vent and reminded her of the heat of Jared’s hands gliding over her body. Hannah drove to Grandberry’s Restaurant, having decided to have take-out for dinner.
 
Mr. Grandberry greeted Hannah with a smile and asked how her parents were doing while he filled her order. Grandberry’s served the biggest and best chicken fried steaks around, and Hannah’s stomach rumbled loudly as she waited. Hannah thanked Mr. Grandberry as she paid for her meal then headed for home. She was beginning to realize how tired she really was. Although she loved her job, she couldn’t wait to get home, out of her scrubs and into her favorite jeans.
 She had her night all planned. Eating was first of course; a nice long, hot bubble bath was next followed by sleep. Hannah sighed deeply knowing she would dream of Jared again and wake up feeling needy and frustrated. She smiled slightly and a tingle spread through her body as she remembered what he’d admitted to her the night before. He had not left her the night of the fair because he hadn’t wanted her, but because he had. Hannah knew it was silly to feel so pleased about that but she was gratified to learn that he had been just as affected by that kiss as she. Hannah turned into her drive and stopped the car. She supposed she really ought to thank Jared for walking away that night because Hannah knew without a doubt that had he asked, she would have more than willingly given him her virginity.
 

Hannah rushed upstairs to change clothes. Just as she was about to slip into a t-shirt she caught sight of Jared’s shirt on the back of the rocking chair where she’d hung it the night before. Without conscious thought she threw the t-shirt on the bed, slipped out of her bra, and pulled Jared’s shirt on, snapping it over her breasts. Jared’s scent and the feel of it on her bare skin made Hannah’s breasts tighten and her belly quiver. Why did she have such a strong reaction to this man, she wondered as she began to eat. This has gone way beyond some long ago adolescent crush she thought. These were very adult feelings and although Hannah knew she wanted Jared, being impulsive had netted her one very unsatisfactory sexual encounter. Her one and only sexual experience was in college and was over so quickly it left Hannah wondering what all the fuss was about and then of course she’d never seen the guy again. It had been a painful experience all the way around. She’d broken off her relationship with Mark a few months ago because he had begun to pressure her into an intimacy she wasn’t ready for.
She had liked Mark, but his kisses left her unmoved. There’d been no fireworks, no thunder, no heat and definitely no desire. She’d tried to talk herself into giving sex one more try; that maybe with Mark it would be different. Thank heaven her usual level-headedness had quickly squelched that idea. She had learned from her experience and was determined not to make the same mistakes again. “Yeah right, Hannah said to herself, “that’s why the first time Jared got close enough you jumped into his lap and stuck your tongue down his throat.” Hannah sighed disgustedly. Resisting Jared wasn’t going to be as easy as saying no to Mark had been because if Jared’s kiss was any indication she was sure he could really rock her world.
A sharp knock startled Hannah from her musing and heart pounding she hurried to open the door. Darlene stood on the porch and Hannah felt a stab of disappointment that it wasn’t Jared. “You’re pathetic,” she said to herself. To Darlene she said, “Hey, come on in.” Hannah stepped back to let her enter but Darlene just stood there with a stricken look on her face.
“Do you have a man in there,” she whispered. Her gaze moved from Hannah’s bare feet to the mostly unsnapped man’s shirt to the slightly mussed hair. Darlene grinned widely at Hannah.

“Man you don’t waste any time do you? Who is it? Do I know him?” Hannah grabbed her cousin’s arm and tugged her inside.
 “Of course there’s no man here, you idiot. Even if there were you don’t really think I’d tell you do you?”
 
Darlene grinned again, “You bet your ass I expect you to tell me. I want details. It’s only fair you know, we all shared details with you. Now whose shirt is that?”
Hannah ended up telling Darlene everything. She even included the strange conversation she’d had with Mrs.Taggert earlier in the day. Darlene practically rolled on the floor with laughter when Hannah described how she and her shirt had both gone up in flames at about the same time. Despite Darlene’s amusement, Hannah was glad she had someone to confide in.
Nervously Hannah paced back and forth in front of Darlene. “The thing is I think there could really be something between us, you know? I don’t want to mess it up if there is something there by jumping into bed with Jared. It’s just that he makes me so hot I can’t seem to think of anything else.”
          Darlene looked at Hannah closely. “Well I’d say you’ve got it bad but I know what you’re thinkin.’ You’re not gonna mess this up, Hannah. I hate to say this, but that guy in college was just lookin’ for a piece of ass. He didn’t care whether you got any pleasure out of the experience or not. You thought you felt something for him or you wouldn’t have slept with him. The only thing he felt was horny. He let you down! Jared may have been a little wild when he was young, but from what little I’ve heard, he definitely knows how to treat a woman, if you know what I mean. If he’s the man I think he is, he’ll wait until you’re ready.” Darlene stood and smiled at Hannah. “I say go for it. Listen to what your instincts say and you can’t go wrong. Oh yeah, you made me forget why I’m here. Tricia’s givin’ James Earl a surprise birthday party this Friday night and I told her I’d come by and invite you. You’ll be there won’t you?”
 
Hannah walked Darlene to the door assuring her that she would indeed be at the party. As Darlene stepped outside she turned to face Hannah again. Softly she said, “Makin’ love is

wonderful with the right person Hannah. You just follow your heart and you’ll be alright.” She laughed and continued, “Besides those wild, mind blowing orgasms can set a girl free. Still laughing she ran to her truck and called back to Hannah, “Have that printed on a t-shirt.” Then she was gone leaving Hannah laughing after her.

 

 

Copyright © 1995 Caroline Woodson
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"