Till Death Will Do Us Part
Maria Alessandra Mace

 

Till Death Do Us Part
By Alessandra Mace

“Are you going to be here, tonight, my sisters coming over for dinner?” I asked, as I slowly peeled potatoes in a pan.
“err…oh sorry Rachel! I completely forgot that I’m working at the office.” Replied my husband, Mike. I let out a huge sigh; “Again?”
“Again.”
“But your always working Mike, you never have time for me.”
“Come on, I’m being promoted, that’s good news. We can pay off the bills.” He whispered in my ear and softly kissed me on the neck.
“Ok, I suppose.” He had always known how to make me feel sorry for him. Let him get away with a lot of things. That was his charm.
“See you in the morning.”
“Bye.”

Mike and I lived in a town called Bristol. Both 22, we had been married for 4 years. Mike was a self-confessed work-acholic. He lived working, ate and even breathed it. I loved Mike, ever so much. We got married at 19, which was very young. But I knew him since I was in secondary school, aged 16. We were working on a Science project; I remember it ever so clearly. He was so polite, so charming, I had fancied him ever since I saw him. I had always passed him in the corridors at school, and we walked past me asif I wasn’t even alive. He was so popular, so sociable and everyone loved him. I, was I was very quite, and I only had the odd one or two friends sort of thing. I achieved a lot of high marks in my tests, and I was bullied now an again. I was a ‘geek’ if you like. But when I got talking to Mike I was so impressed that he wasn’t the sort of ‘thick headed good looking football players’, like in America. He wasn’t stereotypical kind of guy. He knew so much about science, which was the subject I absolutely adored. I was top in the class. Well, so we got talking, exchanged numbers and before I knew it I had my first boyfriend. I remember everyone staring at us when we passed through the halls, hand in hand. I knew what they were thinking; ‘how can the stud muffin go out with that geek.’ But no one dared to say it to Mike’s face, he would definitely snap back. I used to watch him play football, and he always used to say to me ‘You’re my lucky charm.’ Which made me feel so special. He used to take me out to ever so posh restaurants and didn’t mind spoiling me! When we got really serious, my mum let him sleep round. She really liked Mike, she still does. I never got to meet Mike’s mum. She died of breast cancer when Mike was 5. But Mike never talks about her; it’s a touchy subject.
So, at 19 we got married somewhere different. Mike didn’t propose to me, it was a split decision. That’s what I like about mike, he likes to be different. We got married on Bristol’s local beach; it was a lovely day. Our whole families were there. I wore a gorgeous strapless draping blue dress. It was perfect.
So, now here we are at 22, living in our new house. It’s a lovely house, great big garden, balcony, and pool. Oh! Its heaven. Mike earns so much. He’s a manager of a company that sells computers. He loves computer technology. Always on the Internet, it’s almost likes he’s glued to it. But on the otherhand, we don’t go out as much as we used to. I’m self-employed and I’m always in the house. Mike insists on buying a dog so I won’t be lonely in the house. I do loves dogs though. But I miss it when him and me used to swim late at night in the pool, when we used to lay on the grass and look at the stars. It’s all a distant memory. But why am I thinking like this? He loves me! Otherwise he wouldn’t of married me! He’s just doing what’s best for us, he doesn’t need to take me out to show me he loves me. I know he does.
“Hey, Caroline!” I laughed as I opened my arms widely and kissed my sister on the cheek. She was wearing really expensive clothes. She has always been obsessed with her looks. She looks like me; Curly Blonde hair, blue eyes, tall, slim figure. But her hair is shorter and her face is covered in make-up.
“Rachel!” she screamed. Shes a loud woman. Likes the attention. And a bit of eye- candy for the lads. I remember when I was 16 I was so jealous of her. Shes never settles down. It’s not really her style. You would think at 28 she’d been settled down, already. I’ve lost count of all her boyfriends, that how popular she is. Shes such a loud girl, and likes a bit of friendly competition. And I think the idea of settling down with a husband, house and kids frightens her. I think Shes afraid to grow old. Silly, eh? I think it bores her aswell. But, don’t get me wrong, she’s so kind and caring. She thinks a lot of Mike. You can imagine her with Mike! And shes a huge flirt. Oh and did I mention? Loaded. Shes a model, for women magazines.
“Come in.” I said smiling.
“Sure. Oh! I got my new holiday photos.” She gasped with excitement, and shoved a pack of photos in my face.
“Where did you go, again?” I said, laying the table.
“Ibiza.”
“For the 5th time…” I muttered.
“What?”
“Nothing.”
We sat down to dinner. She chatted so much I couldn’t get a word in edgeways. Shes so fussy with food. She thinks one lamb chop will make her stomach bloated, or her bum suddenly increase. I guess models are like that, you know obsessed with their looks. They have to look 100% perfect.
“I met this great guy out there.”
“Oh yeah?” I’ve head this story before.
“Yeah. He was so gorgeous! Tanned musley the works. Met him in a club.”
I nodded. The same story again.
“And…?” I said, expecting her to say she did more then just flirt.
She replied with a little tap on her nose, and winked. What a surprise.
“How’s Mike?”
As soon as she said my name, my whole face lit up.
“Mike? He’s fine. He’s working tonight. “ I explained.
“Again? Bless him. He works hard for you.”
I nodded, smiling, taking a sip of wine.
“He’s thinking of getting me a dog.”
“Oh right…” Shes hates dogs, not an animal lover at all.
“Yeah, cause I get lonely when I’m at home, working.”
“That’s nice of him.” She smiled.
“How’s work?” I asked.
“Great, doing a new winter shoot soon.”
“Fantastic!” I hope my eyes weren’t green with jealousy.
                    When she’d left I cleared up the table. It was late. I fancied a bath. So I treated myself to a warm bath and lit candle’s around me. The aroma of candles filled the air.
I let out a huge satisfied sigh. It was 11. I thought to myself, Mike will be back at 4am. It was ages yet until I could see him. Sometimes I wait up for him. I climbed into bed and slept like a log. Must have been that wine. I dreamt Mike was with me. I could feel him. He was very warm. I could even smell him, his favourite aftershave I bought him. It was so real. I was reaching out my hands to grab him, but I couldn’t get to him. He was just standing there, with his big beautiful grin. I groaned in frustration. Why couldn’t I get him? Then suddenly there was a woman. A woman I have never seen before. She was dressed very tarty and had long, straight brown hair. Mike then looked at the girl and smiled at her. Why? Who the hell was she?
Shuffle.
Shuffle. Shuffle.
I awoke, my eyes squinting to see green numbers saying 4:00. Mike! I could smell his aftershave. I turned round, half asleep and muttered; “Mike…Mike…mm…iii…kkk…eee” I saw his tall figure and I could see him climbing into bed.
“Hey, baby.” He said softly. I then felt him slide me on his chest and he wrapped his arms around me, and kissed me on the head. I felt so warm, so safe.
“Morning sweetheart.” I awoke to the sound of Mike’s voice. Followed by, the smell of eggs and bacon. He had made us a full English Breakfast. Bacon, eggs, sausages, the works. My face lit up with a huge smile.
“Breakfast is served, madam.” Mike said, putting on a posh accent. I burst out laughing.
We tucked into out breakfast.
“Are you doing what I think you’re doing?” I asked, as I finished the last of my breakfast.
“What’s that?” giggled Mike, as he took my plate away.
“Taking the day off, silly!” I said, excitedly. This was going to be a fantastic day. We could spend time together, like we used to!
“Oh Mike! We can go shopping, go to the cinema, go to dinner, go to the park…and…”
“Rachel…” he butted in. “I’m working today, I’m sorry.” I dropped like a ton of bricks. I was let down, by my husband. But whatever I could do, I could never stop being besotted with him.
“Ok. When will you have the day off?” I asked, inpaitenly.
“I’m looking at … hmm… maybe Sunday.” He smiled.
“Sunday! Oh that’s fantastic! 4 days to go!” I shouted in excitement. Maybe I was being a little over the top. But I didn’t care. He was mine for Sunday. All mine.
“I did say … maybe.” Mike said. I ignored him and pranced around the room singing; “The hills are alive with the sound of music.” I then bust of laughing. Was I mad? I have to admit I was getting a little over the top, but I couldn’t control myself.
“You’re nuts, you are.” Laughed Mike.
At 1 o’ clock in the afternoon, Mike left for work. He wasn’t working on a late shift that night, so he could catch up on some sleep. I sat and watched telly. One of those rubbish daytime programmes. The title was, conisidenly ‘Wife’s, do your husbands always work?’ “Bloody crap.” I muttered.
Beep, beep, beep, beep.
What was that? It sounded like Mike’s mobile phone. But he always takes it with him…
I knew I shouldn’t but I picked up the phone. It said, ‘1 message received.’ It must have been a friend or one of the fake competition things, saying ‘you have won a car!’ but then it should say ‘were fakes so you don’t get it until you pay loads of cash!’ I opened the message. It said, ‘from Jessica.’ I know! Must have been those sick porn star adverts. I read it, it said,
Hi mike,
How would she know his name?
Thanx 4 Monday. It waz fun. Still on 4 Sunday?
Sunday? That’s his day-off…?
Give me a bell.
Luv jess xxxx
I suddenly felt my heart skip a beat. The atmosphere grew cold. And I began to shiver. I felt it hard to breathe. I stop for a minute. Why am I acting so over-dramatic? Calm down, Rachel. I can’t just go up to him and say “hey, mike, I read your text when you left your mobile at home, hope you don’t mind. Oh and by the way, whose Jessica?” He wouldn’t trust me. Hey, well, maybe it was just a friend. He’s very sociable.
I carried on with my work. I work for a company, which employs people. I’m always on the computer. No wonder why our electrity bill is so high these days. I needed to go out shopping, but I couldn’t be bothered. The rain was hammering down outside, and I could see a few people running into their houses, covering their head asif we were under attack. The weather wasn’t so bad a few days ago. I used to swim in the pool. After a few hours worth of good hard work, I decided to check my e-mail in out office. I was surprised when the homepage came up with [email protected], because he always signs out so I can check mine. A little box came up saying ‘you have one message from Jessica woodcock.’ Hmm…I thought could it be the same girl who texted mike? My curiosity took over, I just hope it wouldn’t kill the cat. I wouldn’t tell mike though. He would never trust me again. Then, our marriage would end, I would have no where to live! No job! No money! Oh! I found myself hyperventilating. I started shaking, violently. I rushed into the bathroom and splashed cold water over my face. It was so refreshing. Was I over reacting? Was I obsessed with him? I knew my fear. I knew it ever so well by this point. But thing is, is there a name for this fear? Does anyone else have this fear? Was I the only one? My fear was clear as crystal. My fear was taking over me. My fear was losing him. I gulped.
Stopping, for a minute I thought to myself, you don’t even know who this Jessica is. It maybe a friend? It maybe a fellow college?
I had to get myself out of that god-forsaken house. The silence was draining. The typing of the keyboard as I worked rang through my ears. Over. Over and over again. Would this end? Theres an end to everything. An end to life. An end to friendship… an end to marriage.
I stepped out of the house. It had been 4 days. 4 long days cooped up in that house, copped up like a chicken in a hen. The cold air lit my cheeks up and it rushed through my hair. It felt fantastic. I drove to out local supermarket, as we were running low on food. Mike always used to eat crappy microwaves. He never had time for me took cook him food. Well, eating together is something that a married couple is meant to do, isn’t it? Surely! Take Caroline for example, actually don’t. Shes had so many guys there won’t be any left.
It was very strange driving through the neibourhood. It had seemed like I haven’t been out for weeks. But it was only 4 days. And 4 days was long enough in my mind. The local children were happily playing in the streets, I smiled at them. I wonder if Mike and me would have kids of our own. I had to admit I was a bit sacred that my biological clock was going to run out. As I walked through the long aisles of the supermarket I saw sweet old couples walking hand in hand. That would be Mike and I one day. “Hello Rachel. How are you these days?” smiled one of them.
“I’m fine thankyou, Mrs Potter. How have you been?” I politely asked her.
“Well, Richard and I had to go to the doctors surgery last week, I had the flu. It was ever so awful.” She rabbited on. I nodded, trying to get away. She was such a gossip! She knew everyone’s life and indeed personal life I dreaded to think. I made up an exuse that I was in a terrible rush.
“Ok, love, nice to see you, take care.” She sweety smiled.
“Thankyou Mrs potter. And you. Cherrio, Mr Potter.” I said loudly. Mr potter was terribly deaf. He looked at me and mumbled something. They were a nice couple, don’t get me wrong. So, I went hope, unpacked all the shopping and that was that. I looked at the clock. Blimy! Time had flew past, it was 4 already. Mike will be home soon, I thought to myself. Just as I was thinking that, he came home.
“Hi Rachel!” he yelled from the downstairs landing. I was upstairs.
“Hey Mike!” I said, as I came down the stairs. He looked utterly shattered. As I ran him a bath, I plucked up the courage to tell him about his phone. “Mike? You accendenlty left your mobile at home today.” I said. He looked shocked. Was the because he was worried incase I knew about Jessica? Or was it because he loved his mobile so much he never thought he would forget about it. A part of me, well a big part of me even wanted to grab him by the collar, and pin him up against the wall and ask him about Jessica. But what If I’m just going mental? What if I love him so much that the thought of him leaving me for someone else scares me, scares me so much I cant take it!? Again, I found myself worrying. I had to cool it. As mike relaxed in the bath, I prepared supper. I was just stirring the spaghetti, when the doorbell rang. Casually, I opened it.
“Hi … is Mike there?” tall, stunning, slim, gorgeous women said to me. Who the hell was this? What the hell was going on?
“Who are you?” I snapped.
“We haven’t been introduced yet … I’m Jessica.” Jessica. Jessica. JESSICA! The slut who stakes my husband. I was her!
“I’m afraid he’s in the bath at the minute.” I said.
“Oh. Ok. Sure. Just please tell him that I will ring him.” She said. Ha. Yeah right, I thought.
“I’m afraid that wont be possible, we are going out tonight. Dinner, dancing the works.” I lied. That’ll get the little slapped jealous.
“…Well… tell him called for him.” Her voice faded as I slammed the door on her.
“Who was that, rach?” Miked shouted down to me.
“Oh… just a brownie… selling cookies.”
Later on that night I was lying in bed, wide-awake. I was tossing and turning, there was no way I was going to sleep with that blonde bombshell on my mind. Shes everything I’m not – no wonder Mikes with her, to be honest I don’t blame him. It’s me who should be sorry. Sorry that a woman so ugly, so rubbish was with a great guy like Mike.
I was hoping it wouldn’t come this far. I was going to spy on him. Then I’ll get the real answer. And proof. Mike said he was going to the office to finish some papers one night. As he got in his Toyota and cunningly, slyling followed him. He drove into Bristol’s main town centre, we went straight past his office, plus the lights were off which meant no one was there to let him in. It took about twenty minutes to get to the place that he and Jessica were going to meet. It was the ‘Kiss bar and pub.’ Well known for a place were people hook up. I personally, despised the place, the people in it were awful. I remember being in there once when I was 19, I was hit on by all sorts of guys, which were nasty pecies of work. Just wanted a lady for meat. Pigs. Anyway, he went into the bar and I followed him. That’s when I saw Jessica- ah ha! I thought. I was going to burst in and shout the hell at him and possibly slap Jessica, which would have been fun! But I thought wisely and ahead. Maybe they’re just friends? As I said, it could be a big pile of nothing. I could be way over in my head here. It is possible. But if something was happening I don’t think I would be able to control myself! I could see it there and then my face in the local paper with headlines reading; ‘Local Girl Beats up husband’s college’ or even; ‘Local girl wanted for murder!’ – nah that’s a bit too far I think. For at least 15 minutes, I was watching them like a hawk. They had a few books and paper work and they were talking. She kept squeezing his knee and he rubbed her hand. She kept sitting really close and rubbing his kneck. He looked asif he was enjoying it. Like everyman would. I could feel my blood boiling in my veins, my head steaming with anger, my legs standing up, and my legs walking over to them! My fist clenched … I then heard; “YOU CHEATING RAT!” who said that? It was terribly loud and made me jump. I then heard “what was that for?” it was Mike. I then realised that I had approached them! What was I doing? Whatever it was I couldn’t stop. “This is Jessica, were going through paper work Rachel. The office was closed so…”
“SO YOU COULD GO TO A BAR AND CHAT UP WITH SOME SLAG AND THINK EVERYTHINGS OK!?” I screamed and screeched.
“AND YOU, CHEEP SLAG, YOU MAKE ME SICK!” I screamed at Jessica. She went red in the face and was speechless. I really couldn’t stop myslef, this rage, this anger was purely uncontrollable. I grabbed Mike round the neck. I couldn’t let go, I was too angry.
The next thing I knew I woke up in the park, next to the river with an empty bottle of vodka and pills. What happened? I was in the pub one minute, then the park the next? Then I saw the unthinkable. Mike was floating in the river, completely pale and lifeless. Just floating there. Helpless. Lifeless. … Dead. I then saw my penknife in my hand and tears strolling down my cheeks. I walked over to him. His eyes were wide with fright. I kissed his lips and they did not move. They were cold. I stroked his arm and it was so cold, so pale. I then found myslef screaming his name; “Mike! Mike!”
It was then in the prison cell I realised what I’d done. I knew I did it. I was so paranoid, so angry so… I’m a murder. I’m a bloody murder. I did it.
Now I sit here in this cold cell, thinking about what had happened. The moonlight shining in my face, the cold floors beneath me, and the horrible feeling of lonlieness filling my body, I thought for a second, what if he didn’t do it? Maybe she was leading him on and he warned her off, trying to be professional and didn’t want to hurt her. The strange think is, I’m calm I’m not feeling any emotion. I’m nothing.





 

 

Copyright © 2004 Maria Alessandra Mace
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"