A Day In Dell
Barbara Villarreal

 

A Day in Dell
Disturbing gray clouds lurked over the town of Dell. Settling soil from racing horses started the following chain of events in motion. The founders of the small town were faced with the challenge that quite a few early communities had to deal with, ruthless characters that existed for the sake of evil -- and evil alone. Motivated by their desires with no concern for anyone else made them dangerous in everyway.
 Eyes peered out from every doorway and curtain covered window. An easygoing cowboy put off rising from his chair as long as he could. His stomach churned with the mixed feelings of fear, excitement, and the need to divide right from wrong. The back of his throat filled with the taste of dutiful dedication. A feeling he could no longer choke down with his pride.
His large frame stood before the entrance to the jail. Stretching out the haunting creaks in his bones the significant star on his chest shined as if catching the only ray of sunlight in the town. His long legs took calculated steps across the dirt road. The only noises heard were the gasp of fear let out by the onlookers.
�Be careful Rex! You know how rowdy they get.� The warning from Deputy Ben fell on deaf ears as Rex continued his stride into the untried territory.
Rex took the large cowboy hat from his head, swatted at the dust on his tight fitting jeans, and boldly pushed through the swinging half doors of the saloon. His days of no conflict were over. He knew what he had to do and was prepared to do what ever it took to accomplish just that.
His sea green eyes instantly met the fear in Jane�s baby blues. Her voice cracked. Yet, she belted out the tunes as instructed by Wild Willy. Laughter filled the bar, cards were dealt, and guns sat on several of the tables filled by Willy�s gang. The end of Jane�s song resulted in mass gunshots to the ceiling. No one other than Jane seemed to notice Rex�s entrance.
�Get a drink and sing us another, sweet lady.�
Jane hurried from the stage and straight into Rex�s waiting arms. His face held stern. Filled with bitter contempt, Rex stared at the hateful man demanding full attention in the center of the room. Half dressed barmaids drooped over his lap and on either side of him, obviously out of fear not desire.
�You shouldn�t be here.� Jane whispered even though with all the noise there was no need. �You know they�re the law when they�re in town.�
�Not this time.� Rex never released the hold his eyes had on the prey.
�What are you saying?� Jane�s voice rose only slightly but her excitement was obvious to those around her. �Have you gone mad?�
�No. Just tired.�
�Please leave Rex. They will go soon and we can be together.�
�No more Jane. I�m taking it back.�
�Why now?�
�You�re my lady Jane and this is my town. I�m all done sharin� with the likes of Willy Barns.�
Rex walked away from Jane and her sputtering pleas. A gun shot to the roof echoed through the laughter and his voice rang out just as loud calling to Willy. Holding the smoking gun, Rex stood only a few feet from Willy. The delight quieted for only an instant and then chimed stronger than before.
�Did you come to join in the fun, Rex?� Willy grabbed one of the women closest to him and shoved her at Rex�s feet. Helping her to stand Rex took note of her tears, enraging him further.
Not amused by Willy�s comment Rex walked closer to him, his six-shooter firmly in front of him the entire way. Willy sat unaffected. All the same his gang was up, armed, and ready for a shooting. Rex didn�t flinch.
�I want you outta my town.�
�Is that right?�
�Yep.�
The laughter broke out again. Willy sat the chair back on two legs and looked Rex up and down. He snickered loud enough for all to hear. His long jagged fingernail picked between his brown teeth.
�So how do you plan to move us out?�
Without a word Rex kicked the chair over sending Willy sprawling on his back searching for his dignity. Scrambling to his feet he came to stand in Rex�s face shouting obscenities. A nod and a knowing look passed between Willy and one of his gang. Before anything could be done an innocent man was down on the ground with a bullet hole through his left shoulder. While everyone looked to see if the man was okay another of Willy�s men grabbed Jane and licked at her face as if taking the butter off a piece of bread. Hearing Jane�s cries sent Rex�s head twirling around to see his sweetheart. He lunged towards her but was called back by Willy�s voice.
�Don�t get overly cocky now Sheriff. I don�t wanna have ta take ya out right here in front a ya woman.�
�I wouldn�t want that either but one way or another you�re gonna have to move out.�
�Tell ya what sheriff we�ll do this the only fair way. I�ll meet ya on Main Street at noon tomorrow. Just you and me. If ya kill me my boys will leave never ta come back. But if I win we will own this town.�
�Fair enough.�
Aware of Jane�s uneasy feelings he hated to leave her but told him-self it would all be over shortly. Rex sauntered out of the saloon surprising all the hidden citizens. Fear kept them concealed until their lawman crossed the road. The whispers began. Some left town after hearing the result of the confrontation while others steadied themselves for the inevitable outcome of the day to follow.
The air reeked of assumption and ridicule. No one, including Rex, knew how he planned to get rid of Willy�s gang. However, everyone just knew he would fail. The people loathed the idea of living in a town owned by Willy but they also hated to see their life long friend dead on the street. Nonetheless, no one was willing to stand with Rex in the fight for the town.
Rex sat in deep thought at his desk. Ben figured he was contemplating his last few hours with the living. He didn�t know what to say to his friend and co-worker but he knew something needed to be said to stop the madness.
�Now Rex you know you don�t have to go through with this. You could just leave town for a while. They�ll leave and forget all about this. If they do remember next time they come to town they�ll just see it as a joke.�
�I gotta do what I must just as you do. I don�t want you thinking you have to mess about. My mouth got me into this not you. Just stay back and make sure if anything happens to me you protect Jane the best you can. Try getting her out of town.�
Ben only shook his head as he watched Rex�s eyes glaze over at the onset of another bout of deep reflection. Like a soft wind Ben brushed out of the office undetected. He walked up and down the street trying to figure out the right thing to do. He had to save his friends life but didn�t know how to go about it.
The whole town buzzed about the upcoming events. The undertaker began building a distinct casket made especially for lawmen while the preacher practiced his funeral sermon. Recapturing their life together Jane unconsciously made mental eulogy notes intended for her beloved. Fear and excitement covered the town.
Willy�s gang at the saloon was giving out free drinks. It was the wee hours of the morning when the town finally settled down into a slumberous state. Still, Rex sat behind his desk contemplating how things would go. He knew it was a long shot but did not feel he could sit idly by any longer. He would have to count on his speed and Willy�s inebriated condition. Rex knew Willy�s abundance of ego would be in his favor. Willy would want to put the bullet through the sheriff. Rex didn�t have to fear getting shot from Willy�s gang.
The rooster crow brought the town back to life. People bustled around the street meeting and betting on the end result. Some women were buying special dresses and new hats just for the occasion. Not much diversion came to the small town of Dell so they had to grab it where they could. A shooting was as good a reason as any to get a new outfit, even if it was a friend.
Noon came quicker than Jane or Rex would have liked but within moments there would no longer be need for questions. Willy busted through the saloon doors and on to Main Street.
�Yea ready to die lawman?�
�Couldn�t be more so.�
�Well how do ya wanna do this?�
�Lets just stop all the chatter and get to it.�
�Sounds good to me. Ten paces sheriff?�
�Ten paces.�
They walked away from each other counting out steps. Before they got to five a voice bellowed out from the roof of the saloon.
�Willy. I�m afraid if you kill the sheriff I am gonna have to put one through ya.�
�Well �well� well�. little deputy Ben. What are you doing up there son?�
�I told ya. If ya touch the sheriff I�m gonna kill ya where ya stand.�
�Ya do realize that if ya touch me my boys will be on ya quicker than dry sand through a sifter.�
�Maybe so,� the voice came from another rooftop. � But can your boys get all of us?�
Suddenly, a gunman on the laws side occupied every building. Willy and his gang looked at each of them and reconsidered their situation. Shouting warnings of unfinished business Willy and his gang rode out of town as quickly as possible. Cries of joy rang through the revamped town of Dell.
Rex became filled with dread knowing Willy�s threats were not empty. His pride would not keep him away for long. However, Rex knew the next time would be in the dead of night without warning. A lump caught in Rex�s throat when he couldn�t see Jane in the crowd. He was quick to realize none of the women from the saloon were visible.
Whirling around to ask the closest person what was going on something caught his eye. Fear nearly froze him when he saw Willy and his gang rushing back in to town on foot. Although, laughter took him over when he saw the driving force. Gasps then snickers took over the crowd.
 Jane and the bar maids had the gang high stepping. A shot into the sky let everyone know who was in charge even before Jane barked her commands.
�Get down here and lock up these boys, Ben. I�m sure they have a number of offenses they need to account for. There is no need in letting them go just so they can torment the people in other towns. The girls and I were gonna see how well they could dance with lead fired at their feet the way they do us but decided they would look better behind bars.�
Even after Willy and his gang were locked up Jane appeared to be a little surprised by her own actions.
Seeing the dazed preacher Rex called him over to stand beside him in the middle of the road. Turning to find Jane she too was quickly by his side.
�How do ya feel about marriage instead of a funeral?�
Jane could not contain the smile that spread across her pale face. Words escaped her until the �I do,� blurted out of her lips during the nuptials. The day was recorded into the peaceful towns� history, as the most significant day on Main Street.

 

 

Copyright © 1999 Barbara Villarreal
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"