Helle ... Hello ....
Abhijit Sarma Barua

 


“Hello... Hello... is it ….. four ..two.. two.. four.. five..?”
“If you want this number, you are dialing the right figures.”
“So … is it Dipak Choudhury’s number?”
“Yes!’
“Is Dipak Choudhury speaking?”
“Speaking.”
“That means you are Dipda?”
“Ya! …. But may I know who are you?”
“Hi… Hi… Hi! You are speaking so politely! …. I am graced! ….Please … Please carry on!”
“Ah! .. I request you to introduce yourself!”
“Can’t you guess? Of course it is not so easy. After almost fifteen long years how a proper guess is possible? Even I could not get you at first. Your voice is no more as sweet as before …….Formerly you used to call me so sweetly!”
“May I know how did I call you?”
“Oh! Yes. You called me Bu ….uu…mon!”
“Ha! … Ha! ….Ha! That means you are Bumon?”
“OK!....OK! But there may be so many Bumon! I am from where?”
“Oh! That’s a problem! Are you from Goalpara? Or from Lakhimpur?
“Hi! … Hi!. Again you have failed! I am from Sibsagar!”
“Sibsagar! Then … then you are our dear Bumon! Priyanka’s sister! No, I could not believe it!”
“OK! I am giving you some proof! You had a ‘voxel’ cycle! Often the nuts and bolts got loosed! So you used to carry some wrenches in your bag! You taught me mathematics at home after all other tutors could not carry out the job because of my mood! I could not do some easy arithmetic in the Matriculation examination, which you taught me the previous day. You were so sorry and probably were so angry with me that you left our house midst heavy raining. One day while we were going to enjoy Durga Puja, you ….”
“No! That’s enough! I am convinced! These facts are only known to our dear Bumon! But so suddenly you rang me! I am so sweetly surprised!”
“From long back I was in search of your contact number. But all my efforts went in vain! But see Dipda! Now a day, some news papers do such a beautiful job! They provide the phone number of the writers along with their writings! I have gone through a beautiful story, written by you and got your phone number in bonus! From your side, you must have never tried to contact us!”
“No! Not so exactly! Actually … actually I …..”
“Your face must be becoming dark at my words as before! It’s OK! No good in referring the topic again! …. Well Dipda! After such a long period, I am talking to you! …..Do you have enough time to talk with me?”
“It’s OK! You can take as much time as you desire! After all the cost is yours!”
“My husband is rich enough to pay the telephone bills of his better half! We have no scarcities except that of time. But are you busy at this moment? …Am I disturbing you?”
‘Ha! .. Ha! … Ha! You are also changed! When you have become so gentle and sober? Formerly how much you have disturbed me! But did you say anything? Or regretted? Anyway, listen to me. Being Sunday, I wished to have a good nap at this time. But I think I can sacrifice my sleep for you. What’s the time? It is fifteen past three. At six, one friend may come. We can talk till then, that is for one hour forty five minutes!
“Hi! … Hi! .. so nice of you! No need to waste so much time for me. ….. Well Dipda, you must have thought previously that I was a stupid girl, nothing in my head and I understood nothing!”
“Today also, I think so!”
“But do I tell the truth? I was never such type of girl ….. Rather you may consider me as an intelligent girl, if you wish!”
“Well, then prove that.”
“Really!”
“Yes, go on.”
“I am not speaking at my own wish! You have compelled me to speak out, mind it! OK, you were agreed to teach me at home at a single request from my father. But I knew that that was not exactly for me but for Priyankaba!”
“How … how did you know?”
“Hi…. Hi … that means it was not only true but you have also admitted that?”
“No … no…. I have not admitted! I never admit! And you see, I had always a good relation with your family. I can come to our house whenever I wish. Is not it? And can meet Priyanka at any time. Is it not so?”
“Yes, you are right. But your modesty might not permit you to come to our house everyday. At the other hand, you may come everyday on the pretext of teaching me. Am I right?”
“But it was you, who called me every next day!”
“Did not you understand? I was not thinking about myself. I was concerned about you and Priyankaba. I gave both of you a chance to talk and see at each others eyes! I gave an opportunity to Priyankaba so that she could come on the pretext of offering you a cup of tea! I gave a chance to you to give a nice smile to my sister Priyankaba! ….”
“Eii! It is too much!”
“Ok!... Ok! … But now you admit that I was never a junk on those days!”
“May be!”
“No! ‘May be’ will not work! You must admit in straight words that I was an intelligent girl.”
“Ok! I admit.”
“I knew so many things about you! Of course I did not tell anybody1”
“Now tell me. I will examine whether these were correct or not.”
“Once Priyankaba could not complete her drawings of Zoology Practical. She secretly told you. You said. ‘Give me. I shall complete the drawings tonight.’ She gave the practical note book. You completed the drawings waking whole night and returned the book the next day.”
“No. It is false.”
“Hundred percent correct! On one other occasion you were suffering from Jaundice. You were taken to the civil hospital. Priyankaba used to go to the civil hospital almost everyday to visit you. She was ashamed to go alone and so took me with her bribing me with Mortons. Why she should go? You were known to us, but not so close relative! Is it fair for a teenage girl to visit a young boy almost every day and without any apparent reason thereof?
“No. It is not fair!”
“Eh! Now you are telling in the same tune of mine. But you were also not so innocent! When Priyankaba was in 2nd year, she had to undergo Appendicitis operation. On the day of operation, you spent the whole night sitting outside her hospital room. Why? Mom was with Priyankaba inside the room and Priyankaba’s condition was also not so serious! Why did you keep yourself awaked throughout the night?”
“Actually …. Actually I thought that some emergencies may occur. In such cases …”
“Were not there the other people? Or our close relatives? Hi…. Hi…..Hi! Now? Answer me. Defend yourself. Hi … Hi … Hi …. You are already cornered. You see, I knew a great secret also.”
“Wh …What?”
“Priyankaba loved you very much and that from her inmost heart.”
“What? Priyanka loved me? But … but she … that wicked girl …. did not say anything to me!”
“What! You have called my beloved sister as wicked? Alright! But then you were also wicked. What hell were you doing? Didn’t you have mouth … or voice? Or pen and paper? Eh! You write a lot in news papers and magazines! Could not you write that silly line to Priyankaba? She was expecting that so much!”
“You … you mean Priyanka?”
“Or who? Even when discussion about her marriage went on and at last the same was finalized, you have not said anything! I can feel what was going on her mind. But Dipda, why did you remain so silent? Even you helped us in the marketing for Priyankaba’s marriage. You have enjoyed the marriage ceremony open mindly. Did not you have any attraction for her? Or did not you love her? It is mysterious to me even to day.”
“Bumon! Today let me confess a fact. I have not said it to anybody till date. Yes, I was also hurt at the news of her marriage. But, I never thought to hurt her. I always listened to her and abide by her words. I never made any debate with her. I have placed her in deep of my heart just like a goddess. I always thought myself as her most obedient servant, who will do everything for her. I have not considered myself being her lover or husband, who will debate with her, will treat her as mortal being and even make quarrel with her. I liked to do everything for her at her instruction or order – whatever may be! I did not even imagine talking boldly or with head being high in front of her. “
“Well Dipda! Let me ask a question. If Priyankaba would tell you to marry her, what would you do? Would you marry her or not?”
“Then? … then I …. Well, you see …”
“No. This is objective type question. Simply say yes or no.”
“Yes.”
“But why? Did you love her?
“Yes., I loved her very much.”
“Speak clearly. Whom you loved very much?”
“I loved Priyanka very much.”
“Hello…. Hello… I hear nothing …..What have you said?”
“I loved Priyanka very much.”
“Oh! Sad! Nothing comes to my year. Please say louder.”
“I loved Priyanka ……….. Bumon! Are you making you any trick with me? I can hear you clearly, then how can you ……”
“Hi ….. Hi ……Hi…… see Dipda, now a days the technology is how much progressing! I am speaking to you, the loud speaker of my mobile set is on and everybody is listening our conversation! Hi… Hi….Hi…..”
“Everybody? Who is in your nearby?”
“Hi…. Hi…., Guess who?”
“I hope, not …. Not ….. Priyanka!”
“God is not with you, Dipda. It is Priyankaba! She has come to our place yesterday. It was Priyankaba, who has collected your phone number from news paper and I have rang you! Now we are alone at our home and are listening to your words keeping the mobile in loud speaker mode. Will I hand over the phone to Priyankaba.”
“No, please! Oh! What I have said of her!”
“Dip, Priyanka speaking!”
“Who? Oh! Priyanka! See, Bumon has said some false and silly things! The matters are not exactly so… Actually …..”
“Ok! Ok! Bumon may say lie! But what is about you?”
“What I have said? May be again some silly …. Unimportant ….”
“Don’t worry, Dip! Do you think that after knowing some facts after so many long years, I will leave my family, household and ….”
“No, I don’t think so! This is impossible!”
“And do you think that I do expect you to run after me throwing all ……”
“No! This is also improbable.”
“Good! …..Then? Why are you worried? …. Dip! I must say ….. no…. no…. I have nothing to say ….. but so nice of you! …… I pray the almighty ….. May he keep all of you well and happy!”
“So be with you, Priyanka! I….I am also so happy knowing the unknowns!”
“Yey! We have talked for almost an hour! Dip! You have planed to take a nap! Go to bed. Sleep well. May many good dreams come to you. OK?”
“OK! Oh, no! please give the phone to Bumon. …….. Bumon, many thanks for the calling.”
“Dipda! Also many thanks for the thanks. So then! Again after fifteen long years! Hi ….. Hi …..Hi. I am keeping the phone.”
“Yes! …… Oh, one more minute …. Bumon!....... Bumon! ….. Ouch!.... she must have cut the line ….. Hello! …..Hello!....” ….

 

 

Copyright © 2009 Abhijit Sarma Barua
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"