Elvin Romance (Chapter 1)
Ryuichi Minamino

 

Chapter 1
 
“Prince Taky, its time to rise!” An elderly Elvin woman with shoulder length gray hair and wrinkled skin wearing a robe showing she works in the palace called lightly to him. “Come on now, you don’t need to keep your parents waiting.” She opened the huge window letting the bright sunlight smack Taky in the face.
“Ugh! Nana!” He tugged the sheets over his head. “Mama and Papa can wait!” He was tired! Last night he suck out to go see Kaien, his best friend, and Krysta, Kaien’s sister. Which sneaking out meant climbing down the four story vine-like ladder, and then crawling through the fifty foot garden. Following that, would be paying one of the castle guards to keep quite as he made his way into the Vatican of the city. Then before day light he’d have to do it all over again to be back in his gigantic room before Nana did her wake up call. “Its early!” He whined.
“Hey Taky!” A voice called out. With out warning a body leaped onto the bed landing directly on him. “Get up, man, the queen seeks your presents!” It was Kaien.
Taky pushed his slender brown haired friend off him. “No offence Kai but I don’t think this is the way an upcoming Priest should wake an upcoming King.” He parted his stringy-black hair and blinked his light emerald-green eyes.
Flashing a goofy smile, Kai only looked up from the floor. “Yeah, but your not a KING yet. You still have to study to be royalty . And you cant even be awake on time…” Dodging a flying pillow Kai laughed.
“Master Kai, please leave. I’ll see to it Prince Taky meets her majesty.” Nana pushed the young Priest out the door.
~~~
Insisting that Nana leave as well, Taky headed over to the armoire, “Hmmm…what to wear?” He skimmed through his Royal-Ballroom suites. “Na, too fancy…” Looking at the riding gear he sighed. “Nope…papa will wanna go riding through the forest…” He resorted to his everyday attire. “Some times I wish I could just get away…and dress like those people I read about...” He sadly put on the outfit which consists of: green tights with his tan scribe shirt that was trimmed in red; he topped it off with his black sock-boots with a rubber sole. “Gees, everyday I wake up…and I detest who I am…” He deliberately forgot his everyday crown and cloak.
 Rushing out he slammed the door shut knocking over a statue which caused a domino-effect down the entire side of the hallway. “Oops!” He left the seen hoping no one saw him. As he turned the corner he ran into Lance, the knight, “Uhh, sorry!”
“No problem my Prince…Queen Lilly awaits your presents; she’s in the garden with master Kaien and Miss Krysta.” He bowed as Taky passed.
“Thanks Lance! “ Taky scurried off.
~~~
“Today, we shall see if either one you are ready to advance to Study status.” Queen Lilly educated Kaien and Krysta. “I wish you two the best of luck.” She placed a tender hand upon their shoulders.
Kaien, was dressed in black fashioned like the study’s attire, he had his brown locks pulled into a medium pony tail; slowly he tried to clear his mind of all thoughts. “Today, I will, become a study!…Today, I will show who I am destined to be.” He kept repeating over and over in his head.
Krysta, was dressed in a floor length gown with a rope around her waist, she had the hood pulled over to shade her face and cover her silky brownish-red hair. “Mother! Today, I will prove to you I am more then just a mere girl. I am destined to uphold the honor of the royal family and to serve our gods!” She thought.
“Hey Kai! Hey Krysta!” The crownless prince rushed up. Tackling Kai he muttered. “That’s for earlier!” Getting up off the ground he embraced Krysta in a light hug. “Hey beautiful!”
She blushed at his remark, “Hello, Prince Taky…” She responded more so playful then original. “Umm…Please sire, its not becoming for thee to treat me as royalty nor thy shelf as holy in your greeting me in this manner.”
In shock he pulled away, letting his hands rest upon her hips, “Krysta, why do you speak so formally to me all of a sudden? When normally you call me Taky and treat me as if I were like you.” He locked eyes with her and noticed her gaze wasn’t on him. “Huh?” He jerked around. “Mother?”
“Yes my son….” She took to his side. “It is good you are here, now you can join me looking on as the tests of serenity, solidarity, camaraderie and, sovereignty are administered.”
A little shaken, Taky replied. “Yes ma’am.”
~~~
Later that night, Kaien and Krysta, were in the Zen-garden of their father. Sitting on a stone, Krysta sighed, “tomorrow holds the final two tests. Aren’t you ecstatic, brother?” Realizing he wasn’t listening to her; she stormed off. “Jerk!”
“Why is Taky being so relaxed still? He is the heir to the Oxidongen throne. But still he acts as if it’s a game…” Kaien relaxed his mind and body. “How I wish I could be the one to guide him from child to man…” He muttered.
“That is something he must learn on his own…” A deep voice answered. “And he will in good time.” Kaien’s dad, Shadin the high priest, enlightened. Reaching into his pocket. “Here…” He pulled out two scrolls. “I had originally planned to give them to you and Krysta to you before the tests had begun. Unfortunately their was a lot of commotion in the market place and I was distracted…I’m sorry.” He bowed showing respect to his son. “Make sure to give your sister one.” He then left.
“Thank-you father!”
~~~
“Tyler, I don’t understand why he’s acting like this?” Queen Lilly complained to her husband. She was getting so tried of Taky NEVER wearing his crown and always fussing about his clothing. “Its like he doesn’t want to be a prince.”
Tyler could understand her clearly, “Dear, it’s a faze. This attitude is only temporally.” He hoped that would be enough to shut her up.
“And that girl! Shadin’s daughter…”
“You mean, Krysta, the priestess in training?” Tyler questioned.
“Yes…her!” Lilly was furious. “He hugged her…HER!”
“So?” Tyler didn’t see any harm in that. “They have been friends since birth.” True she wasn’t royalty but he had noticed that Taky had taken a liking to her. “At least she is Elvin.” He responded. “Actually I’m in agreement with him; she is charming, attractive and her ranking as an apprentice was nearly off the charts.”
Lilly wasn’t liking the way things were going…not at all. “Still, I’d rather our son marry for expansion in land…Love will come later. As your father said to my parents long before our engagement.”
“But that’s it…”
“Huh?”
“Lilly, I loved you the day I met you, I used land to win over my father and agree for us to be wed that upcoming fall.” Tyler caught her off guard. “Your kingdom had nothing to do with it.”
  ~~~
 Hidden under the shadow of a nearby merchant’s tent Taky and Krysta laid there talking. This was their realm; they could say what they wanted and do as they please and not have a single care in the world.
“If you were queen, what would you change about Oxidongen?” Taky asked her.
“Well…I would allow any one to do priest training.; and change the wardrobe…no offence but your dad and mother dress kind of tacky, Taky.”
He chuckled and moved next to her. “Now, how would you like to be queen?” Cupping her cheek he brushed his lips lightly against hers. “I can make you queen, tonight?”
A little uncomfortable, Krysta , blushed and scooted away. “Umm…”
“Don’t runaway, I want hurt you…Krysta” Tacky lightly pushed her down. “lay down…” He flashed a hot smile. “Trust me…”
~~~
The next afternoon, Taky was in the stables, when Kaien popped up. He was dressed in casual wear with a band tried around his head. “Master Taky, may I have a word with you!” He addressed Taky boldly.
Mounting a black stallion, Taky rode to Kaien, he smiled and nodded. “what’s up?” He was cheery as always. But this time he had a reason to be on-top-of-the world; yet he didn’t know why Kaien was being so harsh. “What’s with the formality all of a sudden?”
Saddling his tan-steed, Kaien coldly said. “We need to talk, but I hardly think it’s a good idea to talk here or anywhere on the palace lands…” trotting towards the main gates. “Follow me, my lord.” He lead Taky away from the palace and through the city area. They rode all the way to the Forest of Gala. “Whoa…” Kaien pulled the reins on the horse. Jumping off he tied him to a nearby tree. “My lord…” He waited for Taky to get off and tied his stallion to the same tree.
Taky was a little nervous, he knew when it came to strengths Kaien would have the upper hand but he could beat him with wits. “So, what’s on your mind?”
Jerking around, Kaien yelled, “you tell me!” Eyeing Taky, he drew his sword. “She’s my sister!” He stepped up to Taky, who was readying himself for battle.
“I don’t wanna fight you…Kaien…” Taky stated.
“Oh well…” Kaien took the first swing, which was easily blocked by Taky.
“What about Krysta?”
Swinging again, “you know…” he missed again. Taky was moving with grace; there was no denying that he was a much better swordsmen them Kaien.
“Know what?” To some miracle their blades locked; they were forced to look each other in the eye. “Tell me…KAIEN!” In rage he knocked him to the ground and placed the tip at Kaien’s throat. “What about Krysta…” This time he was serious.
Choking , Kaien barely muttered. “You-you slept with her…”
Slinging the sword to the ground he pulled Kaien up. “Yeah…”
Looking away, “if anyone finds out she will never be able to be a priestess.” A single tear fell down his cheek. “It means so much to her; and you do too…She wants to be with you and be part of you…” The waterworks flowed.
“Kaien, listen I offered to…” he was cut off by a wild explosion, “huh?”
Both boys faced that palace, and a ring of smoke surrounded that entire land. “We’re under attack!” with speed the two mounted their horses and rode rapidly to the battle.
“My lord!” Kaien called as Taky disappeared in front of him.
Taky rode , pushing his horse hard, “Ya,Yah!” His heart raced as the entrance faded into sight. “Please don’t let it be too late…” The two pillars, that held the gate began to collapse, “Whoa!” Getting the stallion to stop he patted the horse, “go Chan.” Setting the horse free, he drew his sword, then leaped over the pillars and stumbled right into the middle of a massacre.

 

 

Copyright © 2006 Ryuichi Minamino
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"