The Rescue Of Anne Frank
Nathaniel A Miller

 


The Rescue of Anne Frank

© 1991 Nathaniel Miller


It is the project of a lifetime, found in the year 2710 A.D. It is where a team of adventurers, a team of twelve would make history, and from which they would traverse the winds of time. A technology had been developed, using a super-generating coil that would create a field and a portal of energy. A computer set the energy flux and there, people could send others through to the past to observe.


This machine looked not unlike what man had dreamed up on television, in programs like ‘The Phoenix’, ‘Star gate SG1/Atlantis’, ‘Star Trek,’ or ‘Buck Rogers.’ It has also included literature, and authors, ‘Ray Bradbury’, ‘C.S. Lewis’, ‘Isaac Asimov’, ‘Robert Heinlein’, ‘Gene Roddenberry’, or ‘Arthur C. Clarke’.


A real training tool used by the science communities of Earth, to take parties to the past, from which they could observe time, and a teaching tool where students of history could learn the valuable message from which it would present.


There was always that one standing rule however, at no time were the parties able or allowed to interfere with the time- stream, the focal point or the time they were observing.


The winds of time had intrigued man for centuries, as he gazed up into the heavens at the universe around him and from a place, that he would call home called Earth orbiting a life giving star called Sol. Here he would wonder about the twinkling of stars, the universe, or the many planets yet to be discovered around him. This technology would be the first ever to be attempted, to harness energy and open a gate into the winds of time itself.


Man’s mission with the use of this given technology would be to observe and record, learning of the cataclysms of war, battles, figures and holocaust of every sort that happened in the stilted, bloody history of their planet. What a great way to teach a student history, moving slowly through time itself, to witness a birth, a death, and an atrocity of man-kind’s ruthless past standing unnoticed at the side of a great battlefield as two armies fight.


“A great teaching tool to learn and rewrite and relearn history lost!” The scientists had boasted, and the head of the team a young man, who had lived a lot of it already, stood by and agreed to the statement by his colleagues. He had been taken through time itself, trained to think as the people of the future and others of the future whom he had gathered to monitor this technology from every nation. They would be people, from many times who would be able to teach civilization classes correctly to young and old. No future would be spoiled, and no lifeline changed. The personnel would be taken as they were killed, taken to the future as teachers and statesman.


A young man, named Bartholomew Andrew Race would be such a man, having been born in the year 1922 from which he would meet his demise in the killing machines of Nazi Germany. The scientists of the future would pull him over four hundred years from his demise in nineteen forty-two, forward into the new time of twenty-seven, ten as an advisor to good will and industry. Andrew Race is a peace loving man, who loved history and who taught it as cause and effect rather than dates and places. Who led the students to a famous place, from which he would explain the values of history itself that he had learned before his demise.


A man who had been in the concentration camps of Auschwitz, and Nuremberg, and Bergen Belsen where he had witnessed the Nazi occupation of five years of war, whole families wiped out in the gas chambers, the horrible experiments and tortures inflicted upon the Jews by the Nazi Reich. He had seen many Russian, Jew, Pole women raped and shot, and any races that were not of the ‘Master Plan’.


The man who had the power if he so chose, to disobey, and meet a young girl named Anne Frank and Margot in those horrible places. A young woman who during her time had written in a diary of the several years in hiding with her family, a young man named Peter Van Dame, his family and a man named Dassel. Who in a fit of betrayal by a thief had found them out when robbing the factory where they were staying, betraying them to the Nazis for his freedom and watched from the gathered crowd as they were taken away to the many camps of Germany. There each one would die horribly. Bergen Belsen Camp would be the last known place for Anne and Margot who died of starvation and Typhus.


A bitter man, who would never forget meeting her, across the wire, brought to the future and healed, giving him another chance. While she was left in Auschwitz and later during his first mission had ran across her as he stood silently in Bergen Belsen to watch her succumb slowly to Typhus and starvation on his first observation mission.


“And why can’t she?” He grumbled, only to realize by her death, her diary had become a hot selling novel, telling the accounts of her life and the war. Often he had taken a class through the portal and stood unseen by anyone in the observed time, telling them what he knew. Andrew had shown his class Earth's atrocities and man’s own violence, greed and what it led their world to in history.


As he sat in his domicile in the year 2710, he made a choice, the nightmares seen of that young woman too much for him to bear as she was only fifteen when she died. She had not lived a full life and not see the many glorious things that would follow the war as commerce and peace would be upheld in the world. Here the young man stood up, gathering a team of rescuers to interfere with history. The now middle-aged man’s reason was one of love. He had fallen into an infatuation with her, and had judged the world, as it is, that she had no right to die.


“Perhaps I can change history.” He thought, “I can make it where she can live, and still be who she is known for.”


He considered the options, as he stood in the window of his domicile, and he stared at the lights, adjusted to the new futuristic surroundings and the city he lived in. Andrew knew he could count on his friends, and they would help, as they were people like him.


When he finally made up his mind, he left his domicile, and he went to each of his friends.


“You’re crazy!” Fred cried, “If you get caught it’s surely termination.”


“And worse for us…” Peg added.


“You’re daft man.” Christopher told him.


“You are bloody insane.” Harry chimed in, “You will destroy history as we know it. I thought there was a non- interference rule.”


“Look, I know the consequences of my actions, but if we mark it, we can save them and bring them forward before she contracts typhus and her sister too. Possibly her family members too, she was only fifteen.” He said sternly, “She deserves every chance.”


“Yes, but there were many younger than her, mere infants, and young children who were gassed in the zeal of plain murder.” Harry replied sternly, “What you are suggesting that the diary still be published, but she be given a second chance at life too. It had more outcries for humanity when she was deceased.”


They stared at the young man, as he turned his head to a man to a young man of this time, who had a strange aura about him. James. He met the look each one, and smiled.


“I do it out of respect for literature, and perhaps love then.” He said, “Her life was compelling, and I just can’t think of any better reason why not to save her life.”


“You know it looks like fun.” Peg said, “But there are consequences, are you willing to take the gamble that it does not totally screw up history?”


“Sure.” Andrew replied, “To save six lives, especially those who will never know life, surely. But you are only saying two. What about her family?”


“Okay.” James replied, “We need to plan.” For the next three hours, they planned how to save two lives, knowing they could not save the other four from the other camps without severe consequences. The six of them gathered at the computer two days later, with supplies and weapons. They put in the date, and paused, not thinking about the date they would encounter.


“We need to pick between August nineteen forty-five, when she is ill, and her family is gone, or June of nineteen forty-two when her family is living.”


“It is hard to say, in each instance, it drastically alters time, but it also saves another besides them. He had been forced to walk on a winter’s day, on a death march.” Andrew said, “Remember I was there, I will see images for myself. I know, because I am there.”


“August nineteen forty-five, we have the Typhus Serum that cures, we can help them.”


“A little knowledge though of your destiny can be tricky, there is no way for them to change and avoid it. We must intervene. If we go to the annex, her diary will never be written in up to the point that it is. It must be while she is ill.”


“Okay, let’s go to June of nineteen forty-five.”


They activated the machine, hearing the super conductors charge, and a hum as it powered up. They stepped through, out of time and through the winds of history. They stood outside the wire of the Bergen Belsen. The smell of death was here, and bodies lay scattered about. The team walked through the gates unchallenged, the guards who were there were frozen and unnoticing as the displacer unit made them invisible. They were in the tight time, but were relatively protected. They watched as the guards were shooting infected prisoners of Typhus for fun, but leaving their bodies to rot on the surface rather than bury them in the ground.


“You two find Margot.” Andrew instructed, and he turned staring in horror around the people who lay dying, far gone from starvation and disease.


He walked along the wire, and saw himself in surprise, and turning Anne stood there.


Andrew hit the button and in a FLASH! He and his crew appeared, and with the laser weapons blasted the guards with exacting precision. There were shouts and Andrew leaned over to the young woman, after he had left. It had been at that point the last time he would see her alive. Now he was there again and this time he stared at them in silent horror as they both lay there, dead in the bunks. The team gathered them up, giving the serum against Typhus, and zapped the heart that once again started beating in their chest. Andrew held the young woman in his arms as he stared into her eyes that fluttered, and slowly opened, barely focusing on his face.


Andrew and the team stood around them in the future, having taken up their bodies and stepped once again through into the future.


“Come with me if you want to live.” Andrew said, turning to the others who stood around him. He had saved everyone who had been left there to die with tainted water, and disease running rampant through the camp. Now that was passed and they were once again in the future, that event far behind them.


Anne lay weakly on the table, staring up at the bright lights. They had pumped the serum in large quantities, having brought them back from death’s door. Margot was unconscious next to her, her heart being monitored with a steady beat. Their bodies were being repaired with nano-bots to reverse the affects of the malnutrition, weakness in the muscles, flesh, and bones. It would take a week but they would be fully recovered, as if they never had traversed that period in the camps.


Andrew stood over her, smiling quietly, clad in the futuristic uniform of the science council and medical department, he a fully-fledged Jewish Doctor from ages ago.


“W-who are you?” Anne asked, as Andrew continued leaning over her.


“Andrew.” He said, “The young man who you met many years ago.”


“W-what…?” She turned her head, “Am I dead?”


“Not now.” He said, “I brought you back. You are a godsend. One who will touch millions, and they will know of your life and the terrible war. Your goodness and deeds are well known among the people for many years to come.”


“What?”


He held up a book, and he set it upon her chest.


The young woman gasped, seeing the book, and he nodded.


“We are going to make you sleep now, and when you are recovered, both you and your sister will be told many things.”


Andrew heard a hiss as they both lay on the table, both fast asleep as the medical nano-devices did their work. He heard the door slide open and he turned his head to see one of his team enter the room, he also a fellow doctor and psychologist who worked not of the sister’s body but to come would work on their mind to adapt to the incredible changes they would see before their very eyes. Until they were planted and returned into a time stream after the war, in which survivors were taken and sent home to restart their lives after a world had been turned upside down.


“I hope you know what we are doing.” James told them.


"We have stopped an event that should have happened, and have changed a major event in history. Remember anything you do has consequences to it."


Here, he glanced at the two young women.


“Yes, but they are still are being given a chance.”


“But how do you reintroduce them into history, if they were supposed to die.” Christopher asked, “It is going to take a lot of reprogramming and reorientation to undo the horrors and memories of war they spent in the camps and hiding from the Nazis.”


“Yes, I know that, but I don’t know when we are going to place them, I have a fair idea how, though.” He replied, “But at least they get a chance at life.”



Deep down inside Andrew did not know many things. How they would be introduced back into time where they rightly belonged. There were many questions to be asked by their presence and he wondered first if the world would be consumed in fire, earthquakes and cataclysmic destruction because of the paradox created. Nothing happened, the only thing that happened in the last hour, was that life resumed for two young girls who should have died, but did not, thanks to his compassion and respect for their contributions, also to the time stream itself. Now the next question would where to redeposit them in the time stream where they could live a natural life together.


A question that even Andrew did not know how to answer. He would have to answer it soon, as he saw the young woman wince, even in an unconscious state could see her facial expressions, realizing that the nightmares of their capture had begun and no doubt were causing problems. A problem he would have to leave to James, the Psychiatrist, who would take care of her mind, forever removing the memories of hell that would be starting to come for both of them and be on going for a long time to come.

WC – 2,649

 

 

Copyright © 1991 Nathaniel A Miller
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"