Shadow Dancers
Drley

 

Shadow Dancers
by
Dr. Leyrose

   Instead of walking the path to his Grandfathers house, Joe half ran and half trotted the whole way. Today he was eager to share something with his Grandfather. More than that, Joe needed his Grandfather to help him. When he jumped up on the porch and reached to open the door, he paused just for a moment to catch his breath and gather his thoughts. All the way over he tried to plan what he would say. But now that he was here, with his heart pounding and mind racing, he started having second thoughts. As he stepped through the door he has his Grandfather sitting in his favorite chair looking straight at him. It was like he knew whay Joe had come. "Good morning Grandfather, how are you this morning?", he announced as he walked over to sit on the sofa. His Grandfather, carefully watching as he sat, replied, "pretty good considering I didn't sleep well last night. But Grandson, how are you doing this morning?" It was uncanny how his Grandfather seemed to know these things. It was kinda like when the phone rang and his mother would announce who it was before she answered. But there was more to it than that. Joe's Grandfather was well respected among the people and his wisdom was sought by almost everyone. The only reason Joe was having second thoughts at all was his parents' view of the lifestyle his Grandfather lived. Although they never really stopped Joe from learning about the mysteries his Grandfather seemed to understand, they definitely did nothing to encourage him. Actually, that was one subject that was avoided in his home.
   As Joe satsquirming like he'd sat down in an ant hill, his Grandfather masterfully surveyed the scene. He realized Joe had something on his mind, something serious, otherwise he would have probably found the antics humorous. Knowing Joe as he did, he also realized he would have to prod the young man into revealing the secret that was burning inside him. Joe's Grandfather had an idea of what Joe wanted to tell him, and if he was right, it was something he had waited for for many years. So with a peace offering of Joe's favorite snack and a short little story of his own, he opened the door for his Grandson to begin.
   While smacking on his treat, and fully realizing the ploy his Grandfather was attempting, Joe leaned forward and smiled. Then, with a twinkle in his eye, he began to tell his Grandfather about his dream. Attempting to mirror his Grandfather's style of spinning yarns he opened with, "I was walking in a deep dark forrest. I could hear the sounds of many creatures as I slowly moved forward. I didn't know where I was going, but somehow I knew I had to be careful. Inside I could feel the fear churning and twisting. It was so real. I could feel my heart pounding, I was sweating. And, I was trying to see everything at the same time. "Joe paused here, proud of his descriptive skills, and looked to his Grandfather for approval, for recognition of those skills. Joe wanted to just jump in to the dream, i just blurt it out, but he desired something else more. he wanted to be like his Grandfather. he wanted people to look to him as they did that wise old man. then, with the urging and encouragement he had desired, Joe continued. "I stopped, still as the mountain, and there in front of me was a very tall tree. It was so big six men could have reached around it. It was so tall I could not see the top. As I stood looking at this giant tree, up, way up, I saw through the eyes of the owl. As I looked down on the floor of the dark forrest I saw a mouse. The mouse was moving along among the small trees, limbs, and things that covered the ground. Closer and closer I looked at this mouse, but I didn't swoop down. I felt hunger, hunger like I never felt before. But I still just sat there watching the mouse. Then I blinked, a kinda long blink, and when my eyes focused again I didn't see the mouse any more. Instead, as my sharp eyes fixed on the moving animal again, it was a lynx. it was not hunting, but it was looking fore something. Slowing it looked around the forrest, and then, like it suddenly found what it was looking fore, it skipped over a fallen log. While it was jumping it looked back, just for a second. When it did I saw something in ti's moutn. I looked very close. And there, clutched in theose powerful teeth was a dove, a white dove. Then it was gone. it just disappearedbehind the log into the darkness. What does it meany Grandfather?
Joe's Grandfather was listening to every word. Carefully he stored the words and images in his mind. he didn't want to miss even the samlles part. So, with a calm but insisting tone, he stirred the fire in the old wood heater, as he instructed, "Grandson the images we see in our dreams do have meaning. But we must look at the whole dream, at every part, every image, and see how it all fits together. Many times what we firest believe to be true turns out to be only partially ture, or even completely wrong. So, just take your time, tell me the whole dream, every detail you can remember, and we will discover the meany once you've finished. So just try, try very hard, and tell me the rest. "Joe understood what his Grandfather was explaining to him. Many times he had listened as his Grandfather told him stories of things from long ago. Often Joe would think ahead, trying to predict the outcome of the story, only to find he was way off base. he had learned to wait and listen. Every tale was different, but all of them held a truth, a moral of sorts, that taught things his Grandfather wanted him to understand. So, fighting his own curiosity and impatience, Joe continued to describe his dream.
"Even during my dream I remember wonder what was happening. I remember thinking that something very strange, scary, and pwoerful was happening. Then, after another blink, I saw an old man. he was standing close by a big fire and looking down into it. The light from the fire reflected off his face like the sun off the lake. His hare was snow white. He didn't look like us, he didn't dress like us, he wasn't from among us. I walked closer trying to see more clearly. I wasn't afraid. Actually I wanted to talk to him. Then, as I stood closer, I watched the flames of the fire. The fire, a huge roaring fire, sent flames dancing high into the air. Then I looked around at the forrest lit up by the fire. The flickering of the fire changed what I could see. Sometimes I could see this tree, or that bush clearly. The light from the fire just randomly lit the forrest around me. Every time the fire would light up an area, and just before it got dark again, I thought I could see things moving. They could have been people, or animals, or maybe just shadows. It was hard to tell. The light from the fire only lasted in one place for a second or two. There wasn't really enough time for me to see what it was that was moving. The man standing by the fire didn't seem to notice or care about whatever it was moving in the forrest. He just looked up at me. And with a smile, a smile that warmed me inside, he broke the silence surrounding the crackling of the fire.
Joe stopped talking and peered at his Grandfather. As Joe described this scene to his Grandfather he noticed a tremendous change come over him. His Grandfather, still memorizing every detail, suddenly grew pale. He looked like a cold draft had just hit him, and a very curious look filled his face. He cleared his throat several times, then rose to his feet, walked over and sat beside Joe. Then, placing his hand on Joe's shoulder briefly, he said, "Grandson, take care now as you tell me the rest. Do not add anything or leave anything out. Tell me what you saw, what you heard, and what you felt. But don't, don't add anything. Try very hard and tell me the rest now".
   Both of them sat now terribly excited, but for many different reasons. Joe's excitement grew from the interest he stirred in his Grandfather and his memory of the dream. Before, it was just a dream, but now as he shared it with his Grandfather, it seemed to come to life. He even began to excite himself as he relived the dream in his mind. His Grandfather's excitement stemmed from a long deep seated hope. He had been waiting and hoping for a day like this, a day when his Grandson shared something important with him. It also paralleled a dream he'd had, but with some important differences. He too, last night, had dreamed of the forrest, the tree, owl, lynx, and the fire. But in his dream he was the tree and there was no old man in the dream. As his Grandfather instructed, Joe slowly and carefully started telling the end of the dream.
   " LIke I said, the man smiled at me and began to talk. His voice was deep, powerful, but gentle. All I wanted to do was listen to his voice. Nothing else, not the darkness, not the things in the woods, nothing seemed important. But all I can remember from the things he told me is just one thing. I'm sorry Grandfather, I've tried very hard to remember, but I just can't. Anyway, he just looked at me and said 'Although the path you should follow may not be clear, you must trust that you will find your way. Listen to those that can help you and don't be afraid to follow the voice in your heart.' Then, after another blink, I was standing by the fire. When I looked around I could see every animal, every tree. I could see like it was day. That's it, that's all I remember." With his last words, Joe slipped back on the sofa and turned to listen to his Grandfather. Now, more excited than ever, he waited to hear the grand explanation. But to his disappointment, his Grandfather took a long solemn pause. Then, patting Joe on the knee, he told him something that made his whole body ache. With a distant look in his eyes, he said, "Grandson, I must meet with the council tonight. In a few days I will tell you the meaning of your dream. But you have to promise not to speak a word of this to anyone. I know it will be hard, but you must not tell anyone else. I will tell you everything in a few days. So, my Grandson, you must be patient a little longer."
   That evening, standing before the elders, Joe's grandfather was well aware of the rift, of the division within the nation, that threatened to rend the fabric that held his people together. It wasn't the first time families rose against their neighbor, even against their own family, pitting father against son and brother against brother. Many times throughout the history of the people, dissention had threatened their very existence. The memories, the stories ingrained during his childhood, were fresh in his mind. He realized he must possess the stealth of the lion, the strength of the bear, and the suttle movement of the wind. He had to choose his words carefully and be very conscious of his actions as he presented his views to the people. Many great leaders had failed to make their position clear or adequately describe their thoughts. Those small errors in judgement, tiny deviations in their voice, or even the way they held their eyes, sometimes betrayed them. Among the people, especially the elders, he knew every minute action, and every word he spoke, would be scrutinized. But he was prepared and began to share his views with the elders.
   In some ways it was like standing on the fifty yard line at halftime with the home team on the right and the visitors on the left. And, with coaches from the arch rival teams standing around, asking everyone to support selection of just one player for the all-star game. Meticulously, he detailed the dreams to the elders and the people assembled. Then, with accumulated wisdom of many years, of many experiences, he gave them his view of what the dreams meant. He knew that some would turn a deaf ear, not caring to hear anything that might threaten what they believed. Others, he knew, undecided, would listen intently, but wouldn't blindly accept what he was trying to say. Equally challenging were those of the people that shared many of his own sentiments, but still had some feelings deeply rooted in the past. When Joe's Grandfather drew his final analogy of the last aprt of the dream, a low murmur swept the assemblage. After a brief period, one of the elders slowly raised his hand. Just like on cue, the huge room grew silent. The spokesman made it very brief as he casually said, "You are a great voice among the people. It has long been a trusted voice, and your words were very strong. But we will hear the words of the boy also. We will hear him tell of the Shadow Dancers."
   That very evening, after summoning his Grandson, they sat down together and began eating a very ancient traditional meal. As they ate, Joe's Grandfather started to tell Joe about the dream as he had promised. " Grandson, in your dream you saw many things that the people understand. The great tree you saw is the tree of knowledge and wisdom. A man who dreams of this is destined to possess great knowledge and wisdom. The owl is the people, who together examine and search the mysteries thar are presented to the people. It is the people who were watching as the mouse became the lynx. The mouse, Grandson, is you. The people are watching as you make your way across life, which was the floor of the forrest in your dream. The lynx is the man that you may become. The lynx is know to be strong and a master of being able to move in the darkness. The lynx, bearing in it's teeth the dove (a symbol of peace) lept over a fallen tree. That means the man will be armed with the weapon of peace, and leaping the fallen tree (the tree that represents old knowledge, past knowledge and belief) bravely walks into the dark forrest. The darkness is the unknown story of the people and how they wait and wonder what the next day may bring for them. And the fire, the fire you saw is the light of truth. As you stood before it, and it lit up part of the forrest, you were seeing truth begin to spread among the people. Just as the light of the fire allowed you to see trees and other things in the forrest. The trees, the forrest, also are the people. Then, as light showed all parts of the forrest before you, truth shall spead among the people."
   Although Joe listened very carefully to his Grandfather, he didn't understand the message. It was all wonderful and joe really loved how beautiful his Grandfather mad the dream sound. More than just a fanciful tale, much different than the entertaining stories of legend, this was a foreshadowing of Joe and what the people would believe about him. As Joe considered the elements of the story that recounted the images of his dream, he realized something was missing. Reviewing the dream in his mind he remembered. Then, with mixed feelings, he asked his Grandfather about the missing parts. "Grandfather, what about the old man I saw in my dream. And the other things I saw. You didn't say anything about them. Does it matter?"
   There was more that joe's Grandfather neglected to mention. It wasn't that the information was a big secret Joe couldn't hear. rather, it was something better left for the elders. For it was these accounts in Joe's dream that the elders wanted to talk to Joe about. Specifically they wanted to hear about the old man and the Shadow Dancers. Much of Joe's dream was common to many among the people, it contained elements frequently seen or described by others. But part of his dream had deep, deep meaning. The elements could prove to separate the curds from the whey, or as some said, the sheep from the goats.
   As Joe and his Grandfather sat in front of the makeshift hearth watching the fire, Joe's Grandfather listened as the wind whispered gently outside. The flames danced and fanned slightly taller as the whisps of air began to churn the hot embers. Like a deer listening to the slow approach of a lion, Joe's Grandfather began to focus his attention on the suttle changes outside. Continuing to talk with Joe, he added a few logs to the fire. A creak in a rafter, a gentle groan in a sill, and the rustling of leaves outside acted as early warning signals for Joe's Grandfather. His Grandfather realized it was too late to send Joe home, they would have to ride the storm out together. Within minutes rain began to paint the windows. Then sheer waves of water began to beat the walls and batter the old metal roof. The wind intensified and then came the sound like popcorn popping as hail began to pound the tin above their heads. Whipped by the wind, the roof crackled and clanged. The low rumble and flashes of light began to bring natures concert to a cresendo. Closer the lightening came causing the ground to quiver and the walls to shudder. A heavy boom and bright flash was followed by the door bursting open. A young man rushed into the room. Caught in the storm on his way to Grandfather's, he bore a message from the elders. As the raging tempest unleashed it's fury, Joe's Grandfather herded the visitor close by the fire. After a serving of hot tea and the opportunity to dry his clothes, the young man began passing along the message from the elders. From a face of stone the words began to emerge. " The elders will speak to you tomorrow in the Sacred Place. But only you Joseph will enter. You alone must stand before the elders. They will hear your words and test your heart for truth." That was what Joe's Grandfather had expected. He knew this was serious, and the Sacred Place was where matters such as this were brought before the people. Although Joe didn't really understand the impact of everything that was happening, he knew when his Grandfather was serious and when something seemed important. He trusted his Grandfather's opinion and always listened to what he was told. As the three sat talking and listening to the power revealed this night, Joe and his grandfather began to feel a sense of dread. But Joe was willing to do whatever his Grandfather instructed. He had started this thing, and he was going to be brave enough to finish it. Although the evening brough calm and confidence to Joe as it progressed, the tempest continued into the night, rentlessly attacking the small two room house.
   The next morning while Grandfather prepared breakfast, Joe stared out the window at the devastation the storm left behind. The wind, still tormenting the outdoors, was all that remaind of the terrible storm. Joe could see many things bounding across the yard, chased by the bitter north wind. As chaotic as it appeared, strangely Joe saw beauty and felt respect for the power the wind was demonstrating. For something that could not be seen, the magnificent wind flexed it muscles and for now was ruling the surrounding plane. Later Joe and his Grandfather felt the strength of the gale as they trudged toward the Sacred Place. Silently that walked, the time for talking was over. It was now time for action. As they drew near to the Sacred Place, Joe's Grandfather gripped his arm. Pulling him close by, his Grandfather gave him one last piece of advice. Looking deep into his Grandson's eyes he said, "Just as you stood within the great wind last night without fear, you must also be strong before the council. From among the people you must now stand before them as the mouse before the great owl."
   With his Grandfather waiting outside, Joe pulled back the last cover and walked into the Sacred Place. After his eyes adjusted to the dim light inside he noticed his parents seated ahead. As he approached they lowered their heads slightly and looked away. Inside, Joe wondered what he had done to shame his parents. Joe continued to walk past his parents and began to draw close to the elders. Undaunted by their ominous presence, Joe stopped just a few feet from them and stood tall like the mighty oak. As the encroaching silence began to stir Joe's imagination, one of the elders addressed him with a chilling stare and equally frigid words. "We have heard the wrods of your Grandfather, Father, and Mother. Now we will hear your words. We will decide if your words are truth or just the fear of a child sleeping alone. So tell us now, young Joseph, of your dream and the Shadow Dancers."
  There were many accounts in the oral history of the people of dreams that portrayed events foretelling their plight. Some were of great battles, some of famines, and others that separated men as leaders of the people. It was very rare for men, of any age, to face the Shadow Dancers. Only very rare accounts were known among the people, but none existed so far as strong and detailed as the one Joe had seen in his dream. It was truly a noteworthy event for the people. That is if it was an accurate account and not a product of Joe's imagination. In either case, once and for all, Joe was going to learn the secrt of the Shadow Dancers and the mystery they held among the people.
   With maturity beyond his years, and following the instructions of his Grandfather, Joe looked straight at the elders as he once again described his dream. As he spoke, he looked into the face, right into the eyes, of each of the elders. He gave not a single hint of fear during his monologue. Joe had never been afraid to tell the truth and always respected the elders among the people. Joe realized, at even his young age, how important truth was among the people. For countless generations, the people had founded their whole lifestyle around this axiom. It was a very serious matter for someone to say or do something that stirred doubts among the people. So, at the conclusion to his address to the elders, Joe looked into the chief elders countenance and said, " I don't know what Shadow Dancers are or what they mean. If that is what they are called, then that is what I saw."
   When Joe had finished, the elders briefly discussed the situation and with nods of concent, the chief elder began to explain things to Joe. Young Joseph, you have bravely spoken many powerful words. We have found truth in your words and strength that is found in a great leader. We believe your destiny, as revealed through the vision of you and your Grandfather, is to walk among the people as a great leader." Then with an outstretched arm, he invited Joe to sit close by. Joe, still not aware of the meaning of the elders words, drew closer and sat down before the elders. Like the ancient Greek orators, the elder started telling Joe the secret of the Shadow Dancers.
    "The Shadow Dancers are many things to the people. To some they are creatures that live in the darkness of the forrest waiting for a chance to ponce on the unprepared, the lost, the isolated. Others believe they are the shadows of braves who died in battle. And that they live within the darkness coming only close enough, in the edge of firelight, to warn or guard warriors against terrible events. Still, there are also those who say that they are neither animal, human, or spirit. It is said they reside only in the eye of he who sees them. Like the image in the stream, it remains as long as the water is not disturbed, but vanishes with the slightest change in the surface of the water. Or, like the shadow of the mountain that moves as the sun walks across the sky, but leaves as the sun rests beyond the lake. But, the Shadow Dancers are like none of these, and yet like all of these at the same time. Grandson Joseph, Shadow Dancers are the many faces, the many shapes, the many ways that fear lives among the people. It is fear that drives people to hate, that causes the people to fight within themselves and with others. Fear is the cause for much pain and misery, and stands behind (and even lives within) all who do not know truth. It stands in the way of those who would have peace for the people. Young Joseph, you stood among the Shadow Dancers and walked among them. You also saw light chase them away. It is you, you that has seen this path of the people."
   Still unanswered for Joe was the presence of the "old man of another people" in his dream. Even among the people, among the elders, it was a mystery. But true to their words, Joseph did indeed grow to lead his people. With the weapon of peace he forged a new strength and unity for them and brought them into a new age. He delivered his people from desolation, despair, and hopelessness and gave them hope and promise. Chief Joseph made sure his people would have a continuing legacy.

 

 

Copyright © 2003 Drley
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"