Shadow Cat (1)
John Caruso

 

Chapter 01……………………………….Shadow Enters
Chapter 02………………………………Shadow: A Cat's Tail
Chapter 03……………………………..Shadow: A Head Stone
Chapter 04…………………………….Shadow: Undoing Bermuda
Chapter 05…………………………….Shadow: Dealing with Volka
Chapter 06…………………………….Shadow: The Retriever
Chapter 07…………………………….Shadow: Uncle Derby Conquers
Chapter 08…………………………….Shadow: Salt Water Sail
Chapter 09…………………………….Shadow: Chat Cat
Chapter 10…………………………….Shadow's Windsor Gate
Chapter 11…………………………….Shadow's Way Home






Shadow: Enters

 

OUT OF THE WOODS:


You can’t easily adopt the homeless cat. The notion is especially true of the feral kind! These animals, only if they choose to, may adopt you. Felines are cunning and aloof creatures surviving in abundance in homeless circumstances. In our county they populate in the woods in a wild environment. They wrestle with harsh seasons. Their movements are quiet and self possessed; searching every day for food and shelter. Wild cats freely reproduce. They live short lives risking their survival on fitness; competing with their own species for dominance. Other predatory animals regard them as part of nature’s provision in an intricate native hunt chain.
Cats thrive in many habitats. Mainly they cohabit with humans who pamper the animal as a valued pet. I never was keen on cats. In fact I was never keen on domestic pets of any kind. But, most of all, I had no interest in cats. I found communication with them unsettling.
At three months of age he was a lithe kitten tracking in the winter’s chill. His dark color blended with the background of fallen leaves making him invisible to the glancing eye. One day he stepped out of the woods onto an unfamiliar clearing. From the far end of our lawn he spied our home and patio. Lowering his head, the kitten followed his nose onto the open landscape. Occasionally he stopped to raise his view. Then, reassured, he lowered his head again to continue his circumspect movements toward our house. The aromas coming from the kitchen were urging. The scrawny waif moved forward.

Instincts suddenly overwhelmed the kitten’s naive inquisitiveness. As though pursued he scurried back to the safety of the bordering woods. In childlike innocence the startled kitten peered back toward the lawn from under a protective bush; gazing in puzzlement at a quiet landscape.

There were more secretive visits. Each time the kitten viewed the clearing with more familiarity and his confidence grew. Finally, he came all the way to our patio.

As it was bound to happen, one day the kitten was discovered. My wife, Terri, offered the undernourished visitor a bowl of cream. She placed it on our patio. The bowl was quickly drained. With his belly satisfied the kitten hastily retreated to the safety of the surrounding woods.

At first, my disdain for domestic cats prejudiced my regard for this ununvited visitor. I felt that they were overrated as pets and did not earn the maintenance they required. Moreover, I felt that cats were conceited. However, this little guy was cute, I thought. His body was frail but, as with all things childlike, he had a definite allure. But, now he was gone and we were not expecting to see him again; a prospect over which I had no concern.

Shortly after our first encounter with the kitten we had a snowfall. While shoveling the driveway I became aware of a movement from behind an evergreen along the path to our front door. It was the wild kitten stretching his neck to get a better view of my shovel. His expression betrayed his puzzlement as he regarded me at work. His short legs reached deep in the snow. Only his dark upper body was visible above the deepening blanket of white. I spoke to him and he, realizing his detection, bolted; sinking his legs in the snow with each struggling leap away toward the sheltering woods.

Later, at dinner, Terri informed me that our feral visitor had been making frequent calls on our home. On each visit Terri had fed the freeloader. The visits had become so predictable that the kitten was given a name. He was dubbed SHADOW!

Through the months that followed Shadow’s visits continued. The frequency became daily; on our patio. A relationship between Shadow and Terri was evolving. I voiced concern about Shadow’s ability to cope in the wild.

“Life with us is having an effect on his ability to deal with nature in the raw” I said. “Shadow’s sharpness is his key defense for survival in the wild. That sharpness is eroding. He is spending too much time in the unthreatening world of our patio.”

Terri’s reply was brief and to the point. “Hush, we’ll convert him.”

 Shadow’s exposure to our world continued without moderation.

More than one year had passed. There was a change in Shadow’s personality. He continued to display discretion in avoiding warm and easy physical contact with his human caretakers. However he would allow Terri to brush him and would submit himself to brief petting. These acts of familiarity encouraged us that Shadow’s conversion was possible. Shadow’s regular feeding on store bought nutritious food was producing a robust cat. As he physically grew in his new environment he was, at the same time, maturing in his appetites beyond food. Characteristic male instincts in Shadow were on the rise. He would at times wander. Sometimes he was absent for long periods. On some return appearances we observed violent marks on his body; evidence of fights with other animals.

Once, after an absence of several nights, Shadow returned with bleeding scratches across his nose. A small piece of his ear was severed; hanging by a thread of flesh. He walked with a limp.

It was obvious that Shadow’s well being was in jeopardy under present conditions. We decided that it was time to get Shadow to a veterinarian. Shadow needed medical attention and we needed professional advice on other matters concerning a wild cat. The issue at this point was how we were going to get Shadow to the vet.

Though he was living outdoors, not enjoying the benefits of full domestication, Shadow had begun to transition from a state of wildness to a state of semi wild. We worked out a plan to bait him with food to induce him into our house; there we would gain control of his movements. We baited him. Almost immediately he responded.

At the very start Shadow was served in the kitchen. Thereafter his food was routinely served indoors. After he ate Shadow would preen. Following his cleansing Shadow slept on the sill of our large bow window in our living room. Upon awakening Shadow would seek the outdoors. The bow window gave us an idea. We focused on the confinement offered by the bow window. It was a likely location for someone to grasp Shadow at the back of his neck and then to thrust him into a pet Transport.

The grasp and thrust was accomplished. We made our way to the vet’s office with the occupied pet Transport in tow. At the vet’s office we explained the circumstances of our visit and requested a full examination for Shadow. In addition to the obvious external physical damage that needed attention the vet treated Shadow for an infestation of ear mites.

Before we left the vet’s office we discussed the merits of altering Shadow. The vet was encouraging on this subject. He pointed out some clear advantages for Shadow, for us and for the community in general; considering the explosion in the population of homeless cats. Shadow would of course experience a disinclination for female partners. His personality would become tranquil. The prospects of a softened personality in Shadow, his diminished tendency to wander and a permanent family pet was moving. We decided to go ahead with the operation.

Time has proven that our decision to seek medical solutions was the correct action. Shadow, though he still relished the outdoors, thereafter slept in the house every night on a pad in the bow window. The window offers a full view of our acreage from where Shadow could enjoy the secure warmth of our heating system in the winter and the light breezes of the summer.

Though fading, the instincts honed in his formative period still lurked in the deeper recesses of Shadow’s being. I could tell from his movements that Shadow’s senses were in touch with another time. Occasionally a distant call would tap him as, in lissome movements, Shadow patrolled at the edge of the woods. Pausing in his track, and lifting his nose skyward, Shadow revolved an airborne memory.

These were manifestations that made me uneasy!

                                           
*******




                                      
                                 
Shadow: A Cat’s Tail

                                             
                                        
During my vacation, I had spent most of the mid-week tending to our wooded acreage. I transplanted shrubs. I cleared the grounds of broken branches; which I tied into neat bundles for the garbage men to take away. Even the wild life received my attention. I repaired two of the five birdhouses that hung decoratively from posts and trees. A turtle that had emerged from the woods and strayed across my driveway was rescued and returned to the wild brush.

There is a certain pleasure that I derive from my outdoor chores. For one thing, it gives me a sense of ‘earning’ my leisure time. I especially look forward to the weekend. It is the two days of the week that I reserve to indulge myself in activities that recharge my sense of well being.

TO BAY SIDE:

It was a warm summer Saturday. A perfect day to visit Northport’s harbor. I longed to fill my lungs with the invigorating salt air of the bay. Shadow might take pleasure from it too, I thought. Just Shadow and me; as it were. It would give us both an opportunity to get better acquainted. Before Shadow was a pet in my household, I had always kept my distance from cats. I thought they were mysterious, independent and could strike with lightning speed. I was uneasy with these traits. I was short on trust in cats. Since Shadow had entered my life I have been able to see at close hand the interesting and amusing behavior of the feline animal. For a cat not produced under the protection of humans, he had transitioned well into domestication. I had learned much to appreciate the ways of cats.

Yet, I must say that I harbored a smattering of reservation that Shadow and I had not yet reached full mutuality.

With Shadow comfortably placed on the front seat of our Grand Marquis I brought the engine to life with a turn of the ignition key. I waved goodbye to Terri as the car rolled quietly down the driveway; out from the shade under protective trees. I could see her in my rear view mirror. A good wife, waving sentimentally her good-byes. Her gestures did not disguise her troubled approval. Terri thought my idea had merit. But, she was cautious for Shadow’s sake. This was, of course, an understandable attitude; considering the affection that had developed in Terri for the orphan of the woods. My own feelings for Shadow had much further to go. But, I was willing and this trip to the village dock alone with Shadow was designed to make a significant advance in our relationship. I argued, and Terri agreed, that I had by now achieved some gains in cultivating Shadow’s confidence and, as well, my own. This was indeed an opportunity to reach a more complete cultivation of mutual respect; between Shadow and myself.
 
Terri’s figure in the rear view mirror became smaller as the distance between us increased. Still waving, she stood watchfully until the Grand Marquis turned south out of view at the end of the road.

Shadow and I were on a heading toward the village main street. Our destination was the village bayport. My confidence and expectation grew. I drove a course through Northport’s shaded residential areas. Rolling along the heaving roadway, the Grand Marquis easily climbed and descended the asphalt track. Higher elevations provided majestic views of Northport Bay’s coastline. From those vantagepoints one can see in the distance, on the waters, clusters of heeling pleasure sailboats in graceful formations making headway under wind blown canvas.
 
Reaching the marina, I slowed to a stop in front of a designated parking post. Through the clear windshield I feasted my eyes on the scenery beyond the wharf; a panoramic view of the bay. The historic beauty before me was enchanting. My feline passenger was not likewise impressed; for Shadow must have seen or heard something which immediately disturbed him. He leaped off the front passenger seat. In a flash he was in the cavity of the undercarriage of the seat. I was surprised and confused by his reaction. Obviously the sight and sounds of the marina activity had unnerved Shadow. I glanced around our general location. I could see nothing, nor did I hear anything, that would justify Shadow’s behavior. Shadow was noisy as he struggled for stability under the seat. I tried coaxing him out from under the padding but Shadow wasn’t buying my appeals. I reached down to grab hold of him. Shadow spit and hissed. I promptly withdrew my hand.

We sat uncommunicative for a long time.

CAN WE TALK:

“Come on out Shadow. Look at this view. Take a deep breath of the clean sea air. You’re not gonna waste the beauty of this day in a hide-out, now are you?” I said. I babbled on in an effort to sooth Shadow. I tried at length to talk him out of his hiding. “There is nothing out there that can hurt you as long as you’re in the car, big guy. Come on; I’ll protect you. We’re not going to go outside. Look, I even have the windows mostly shut.”

There was no reaction from under the seat. I sat in silence for a time longer. Again I tried soothingly to urge Shadow out of his cave under the seat. I lowered my hand again to the opening at the front of the underseat. Shadow hissed. I quickly retrieved my hand.

My patience was beginning to wear thin.

“I mean really, you can’t stay under there forever. Look, darn it, if you don’t come out I’m going to take you home. If you will not come out, I’ll put an end to this nonsense.”

The day was a bust. All my enthusiastic expectations, of a beautiful day with my pet cat at the bay front of our coastal village, had been lost. This was just the sort of thing that I found occasionally strange about Shadow. It was no wonder that I had reservations about complete mutuality. At this very moment I felt Shadow and I were demonstrating, clearly, that we were not as yet able to validate full measure. But, just as I was ready to give up completely on Shadow I saw his tail emerge on the floor from under the seat. I thought he was coming out backwards. His tail moved outward at about four inches, but no more. It twitched fitfully; then stopped moving. Shadow displayed no further activity and was motionless from there on. The twitching tail remained perfectly still.

“Come on big guy. You were doing fine. Don’t stop now,” I said in an effort to encourage a complete withdrawal from the underseat. Finally I applied my version of cat like communication as in “meow” and “purrrs” to get Shadow into a conversation. I received no response.

My patience had reached the limit.

HOMEWARD:

Fed up, I left the village. Traveling Main Street on my way home, I avoided the scenic route. I was traveling at the speed limit eager to get home and to separate myself from my passenger. Shadow remained under the seat. Only his tail was exposed at the same four inches; no more and no less than before. For the entire ride home, the tail did not move. Shadow stayed absolutely noiseless in his secure cavity under the seat.

Terri was at the front door as I drove onto the shaded driveway; under the canopy of thick trees. “How did it go?” she asked.

“Lousy” I replied impatiently. “That cat has been hiding under the seat ever since we arrived at the wharf. Just when I think I understand Shadow he throws me a curve.” I exited the Grand Marquis closing the door behind me on the driver’s side. On the front passenger side I left the door open to allow Shadow to leave the car on his own terms.

I walked to where Terri stood and together we went on to the front door of our home. “Tell me what happened”, Terri earnestly said as she accompanied me into the house.

I gave her a full report of the trip. I even included my conversation in “meows” and “Purrrs”.

“What else did you do? Did you frighten him?”

“I didn’t do anything to that cat but what I’ve told you. And, no I did not frighten him. For heaven sake, don’t you get it? The cat is weird!”

We were not in the house more than three minutes when we both heard scratching at the front door.

“Wait here”, Terri said. “I’ll see who it is.”

She walked to the front door. The noise was coming from the floor. Looking down she saw Shadow. He was anxiously pawing at the doorframe. Terri let him into the house.

“Well look at who has decided to rejoin the world,” she announced gaily, as in a greeting.

Shadow entered and made a path directly toward me. He weaved through my legs pressing firmly against my shins. Shadow purred noisily in an affectionate display that surprised Terri and me greatly. Shadow held his tail upward, curling it around my calf as he wound his body between my limbs.

“What the heck is this all about?” I exclaimed. “I don’t get it.”

“Neither do I” Terri said. “But he sure is trying to tell you something.”

SHADOW’S TAIL:

Later, Terri and I snacked at the kitchen table where we continued to review the events of the day. Shadow continued his extraordinary display of attention; sitting on my lap as I ate and purring like a smooth motor.

“Did you leave the car door open?” Terri reminded me.

“I’m sure I did,”

“I’ll go and close it “ she offered.

I tried to do it instead but before I was fully upright she was up and gone. Terri left the table for just a moment. Just long enough to reach the car to close the passenger side door. I continued to eat. I fondled Shadow’s soft coat. He purred appreciatively.

Suddenly I heard Terri scream. Shadow leaped from my lap in panic and disappeared up the stairs into one of the bedrooms. I jumped out of my chair and ran through the front door; making a dash to the driveway. There was Terri hiding behind one hand as she tried to cover her face. Her other hand, and arm fully extended, was pointing to the interior of the car. The look of fright, partially observable behind her covering hand, was etched on her face. The interior of the car was openly visible, as the front passenger door was still swung open wide.
 
“I get it now, I get it now” she yelled repeatedly. “That cat you find so difficult to understand saved your butt today.”

“What …….what are you talking about?”

 

 

Go to part:2  3  4  5  6  7 

 

 

Copyright © 2003 John Caruso
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"