Star Saga: A Clash Of Empires (1)
Michael Harris

 

"Star Saga: A Clash of Empires"




BY MICHAEL HARRIS













Michael Harris
29290 Pointe O’ Woods # 102
Southfield, MI 48034
248 200 2908









FADE IN:


EXT. HIGH ORBIT OVER MARUNE, ALPHA SQUADRON ACADEMY

The colossal structure of Alpha Squadron serves as a guard to the vibrant and blue planet of Marune (pronounced Ma-rune-nay). Lights on the structure from a great distance blink in and out.

In the cruiser holdings of the Squadron, several capital ships are being outfitted and serviced.

Groupings of fighters fly from the structure itself, and head away from it.

The pilots are Langdon Hughes, Iris Grisham, and Jesse Faundoo, along with two other cadets, a MALE CADET and a FEMALE CADET. They speak to one another through their helmets.


LANGDON
Our orders are to circle around the edges of ALPHA SECTOR and then make our way back towards the Academy.

JESSE
Man, oh man, they didn't have anything better for us to do than lousy patrol? We've liberated a world and repelled an invasion on a colony and this is what we're tasked with? Omega Squadron has seen better days.

IRIS
(laughing playfully)
He's your friend, Langdon.

The Nameless Cadets laugh to themselves.


LANGDON
Yeah, yeah. Just because you weren't around when he got transferred that doesn't mean that I have to take all the responsibility for him. He's just as much your friend as he is mine.

JESSE
Let's just get this over with as soon as possible. The INTERSTELLAR WRESTLING FEDERATION will be on in thirty.

Langdon shakes his head. The fighters continue on in the blackness.


EXT. MARUNE, EXTENDED VIEW OF HIGH COMMAND - MIDDAY

High Command stands mightily above the other Marune structures, a several tiered structure that is tinted black and reaches past the clouds.


INT. HIGH COMMAND, CONFERENCE ROOM - CONTINUOUS

The conference room is shaped in the form of a dome and when looked upon from above is in the form of a horseshoe. It is packed with officials from Earth and the three colonies, both male and female.

Czar Shepard this time sits in the circular pattern housing a chair, as he discusses the issue of the Bulgata with his diplomats.

At the bottom of the seating arrangement sits Commander Wecker along with another Commander, the one in charge of Alpha Squadron. A black man in his middling years with a little graying hair. He is COMMANDER STANFIELD. A FEMALE DIPLOMAT coated in blue speaks up.


FEMALE DIPLOMAT
This rest period has allowed us to recover substantially from the destruction received during previous attacks, so in many ways it is a blessing.

COMMANDER STANFIELD
In many ways, you are right. However, I cannot help but feel powerless in knowing that throughout this conflict we have been at the mercy of the Bulgata. In any and everything that arises, they originate it.

MALE DIPLOMAT #1
Commander Stanfield is correct. We cannot continue in this regard.

CZAR SHEPARD
In some ways this period of inactivity has served its purpose well, but being in the dark as we have these two months is not conducive to running a good campaign.

MALE DIPLOMAT #2
Sire, are you and the Commanders suggesting that we move our satellites outside of the Sectors?

COMMANDER STANFIELD
It may prove fruitful. For a time we'd lose any activity happening within the Sectors but it would allow us to monitor activity outside our realms of influence.

COMMANDER WECKER
We can always launch more satellites to patrol the sectors.

FEMALE DIPLOMAT
Now that I see it for the best, I have no reservations. We would be susceptible to attack for only the briefest amount of time, until we are able to reorient ourselves with more satellites.

CZAR SHEPARD
Do we have any other objections?

Silence engulfs the conference room. Czar Shepard stands.


CZAR SHEPARD
(CONT'D)
Then it is decided. This meeting is adjourned.

Diplomats rise and speak to one another privately. Commander Wecker and Commander Stanfield stride towards Czar Shepard.


COMMANDER WECKER
I did not believe they would take it as well as they did.

COMMANDER STANFIELD
I think the Congress understands that we are doing our very best given the circumstances that we have been dealt.

CZAR SHEPARD
Indeed. But if by any chance we can improve our lot then we must take it. It is high time we dealt the Bulgata a blow, instead of constantly being on the defensive and intimidated by cravens.

Just then, an alert system rings throughout the dome and a FEMALE VOICE gives the message.


FEMALE VOICE
(O.S)
Alpha Sector has been breached! I repeat, Alpha Sector has been breached! All military personnel are to report to their stations. All diplomats and government officials are to report to the bunkers to maintain...

The Female Voice goes on indistinctly. Diplomats hurriedly make their way amid commotion to the underground bunkers. Commander Stanfield speaks as if to himself.


COMMANDER STANFIELD
(in shock)
They've discovered the location of High Command and Marune.

CZAR SHEPARD
(to both of them)
Get in contact with Sordaan for reinforcements. They are the closest colony. If what happened on Dorridion is any indication this could be a great challenge. I entrust the defense of Alpha Squadron and Marune to you two.

The two salute and head for the sliding door on the floor of the dome. Czar Shepard, along with other diplomats, makes his way to double doors leading to the bunker.


EXT. DEEP SPACE, NEAR THE EDGE OF ALPHA SECTOR

Langdon, Iris, Jesse, and the two other nameless cadets, travel through the blackness near the edge of the Alpha Sector border. They all generally fly bunched together.


LANGDON
Alright, cadets. We've done our scouting for the day. It's time we headed on back to base.

IRIS
Oh, do we really have to? I do enjoy a good flight through outer space now and then, even if it's just patrolling Alpha's border. It's always so very peaceful.

Just then the invading Bulgata force exits hyperspace a great distance away from them, though they can see clearly just how imposing and overwhelming a force they are. Great capital ships and swarms of fighters, with the Intimidator serving to lead the advance.


JESSE
(in shock)
Speak of the devil...

FEMALE CADET
Oh no, what are we to...

 LANGDON
(exasperated)
Everyone, don't try anything rash. Just--stay out of harm's way until we get back to the defenses of Alpha Squadron.

The cadets reorient themselves and u-turn themselves upwards (not sideways). A few Bulgata fighters can be seen sneaking up on them.


MALE CADET
They're coming. They're coming! Oh my God, what are we going to do?

LANGDON
Calm down, soldier. Just--evade. Anything! But don't lose your wits.

A few Bulgata fighters begin firing on them, and they embrace evasion tactics. The Male Cadet generally swerves about (as does everyone) but he is whimpering as he does so.


MALE CADET
I never should have joined the military. I knew this would happen. I just knew it!

JESSE
He's breaking down.

Suddenly, laser fire erupts into one of his wings and his ship is then consumed by a convergence of laser fire from other Bulgata fighters. He screams as he dies.


INT. INTIMIDATOR WARSHIP, BRIDGE

Fedos and Fedora stand on the lower bridge as Raphsidy commandeers the controls. They look on through the viewing screen with determination in their eyes. They speak in an alien language. Illzar does not stand in the bridge.


FEDOS
We've given them eons to recuperate. Time to see how these impotent, insolent fools handle the might of the Bulgata armada.


EXT. SPACE, BULGATA ADVANCE

We see that Illzar is leading the charge against Langdon and co. He is one of the Bulgata fighters attacking them with laser fire in his sleek fighter.


ILLZAR
Converge on and destroy them.

Langdon and co. continue to evade as they try to stay away from laser fire. In the distance, Alpha Squadron and Marune can be seen, and what looks like small advancing dots.


IRIS
We're almost there.

Through their helmets they can hear the following from Commander Stanfield.


COMMANDER STANFIELD
Patrol, this is ALPHA SQUADRON COMMAND. What's the situation?

LANGDON
An endless wave of the Bulgata, sir. That's about the best I can describe it. There's so many, always so many...

COMMANDER WECKER
We've got forces coming from Sordaan to reinforce our numbers. But we'll have to hold them off until they get here. You cadets get back to the safety of Alpha Squadron and get yourselves reoriented for battle.

They all reply with a ‘Yes, sir.’

The foursome embrace a method of boost and continue at it for some time. Illzar and the other Myrmidions now regroup with the whole of the Bulgata advance, Langdon and co. being too close to the enemy to pick off any longer.

The foursome now find themselves flying past an advancing Alpha Squadron, with fighters and capital ships flying past them, and they get themselves reoriented for battle.


INT. INTIMIDATOR WARSHIP, BRIDGE

Fedos and Fedora watch through the viewing screen as the distance between they and Alpha Squadron's forces deteriorates.


FEDORA
Disengage several arms of forces to assault their base of operations.

RAPHSIDY
As you wish, my mistress.

Raphsidy presses an array of buttons on the control panel, relaying the message.


EXT. SPACE, BULGATA ADVANCE

Several bunched together cruisers as well as groupings of fighters are moving away from the Bulgata contingent and heading toward Alpha Squadron.


EXT. SPACE, ALPHA SQUADRON ADVANCE

Langdon speaks through his helmet to other cadets.


LANGDON
They're beginning an assault on the Academy.

IRIS
It'd be just like what happened to Delta Squadron.

LANGDON
We can't let that come about. Everyone, form up!

Langdon takes his leading place in a formation of fighters and cruisers. Similarly, Jesse and Iris do the same, taking leading places in formations.

Each contingent streaks towards an aforementioned arm of Bulgata forces.

Jesse and his troupe fly into a Bulgata contingent with guns-a-blazing, breaking formation as they do so.

Jesse pursues a Bulugata fighter. He gets hints of locking on to him but the Myrmidion is adept at escaping being shot down, swerving and the like.


JESSE
You won't get away so easily from me.

Just then Jesse locks on to him and sends a photon torpedo his way, exploding his craft.

Iris ducks her craft to the floor of space as she tries to avoid laser fire from a Bulgata pursuer. Laser blast scars the wing of her craft. She swears under her breath.

She then pulls up and leads the Bulgata fighter into the laser fire of an Alpha Squadron capital ship.

Langdon is being chased by two Bulgata fighters. He bobs and weaves repeatedly throughout the chaos of battle. He banks towards Alpha Squadron Academy and flys through the creases and crevices of the superstructure. One Bulgata fighter is not as skilled and crashes into an abutment of the structure.

Langdon veers away from the Academy and the Bulgata fighter has somewhat lost him as Langdon loop-de-loops behind him and blasts his fighter into smithereens.


INT. INTIMIDATOR WARSHIP, BRIDGE

Fedos and Fedora observe the chaos of the battle through the viewing screen.


FEDOS
Steer the Intimidator into attack position, along with a sizeable escort. We shall fire the pulse cannons on this planet.

RAPHSIDY
There are several endless cities situated on the surface of the planet.

FEDOS
Fire at them all.

RAPHSIDY
As you wish, Lord Fedos.


EXT. SPACE, INTIMIDATOR ADVANCE

The enormous Intimidator warship dwarfs the smaller capital ships accompanying it as it moves ever closer into attack position of Marune.


EXT. SPACE, HEART OF BATTLE

Langdon speaks almost to himself as the battle rages on.


LANGDON
What are they doing?

JESSE
Beats me.


EXT. SPACE, INTIMIDATOR ADVANCE

The Intimidator now moves in position. A brilliant light begins to emanate on the lower half of the bow, as if energy is gathering. Suddenly, radiant pulses of light fall from the ship in succession and head straight for Marune.


EXT. SPACE, HEART OF BATTLE

The cadets react to this new development.


IRIS
No!

JESSE
This can't be good...


EXT. MARUNE, ENDLESS CITY - MIDDAY

High Command stands in the midst of the deep and endless city, with buildings that seem to extend beyond the clouds. Radiant pulses of light fall from the sky and crash into buildings throughout the city.

Rubble from the destroyed buildings falls into the path of flying vehicles, causing them to crash into the distant ground, pieces of buildings and vehicles of which flattens a select few.

Pulses of light now fall onto the splendor that is High Command, breaking apart the very top of the structure and also tearing apart a lesser building of the complex.


INT. HIGH COMMAND, BUNKER - CONTINUOS

Czar Shepard along with other diplomats stumble as the building quivers and the lights flicker.


INT. INTIMIDATOR WARSHIP, BRIDGE

Fedos and Fedora observe from the Deep Scanner the destruction caused by the pulse cannons.


Fedora
Again. Strike them again.

Raphsidy preps the cannon for another round of fire.


INT. ALPHA SQUADRON, COMMAND CENTER

Commander Wecker and Commander Stanfield observe as the pulse blasts continue to fall toward Marune.


COMMANDER WECKER
Is there nothing we can do? We must try something.

COMMANDER STANFIELD
(in reflection)
There is something.

Stanfield turns towards the MALE OPERATOR.


COMMANDER STANFIELD
(CONT'D)
Patch me through to the LIEUTENANT on ground in BASE 3.

The link is made after brief moments and a male Lieutenant speaks through the viewing screen.


LIEUTENANT
Yes, Commander Stanfield?

COMMANDER STANFIELD
I'm giving you the coordinates to enemy capital ships. Use the BREAKAWAY MISSLES.

LIEUTENANT
Yes, sir.


EXT. MARUNE, BASE 3 - MIDDAY

People scurry to and fro trying to get into the base as an alarm blares, letting them know that missles are about to be fired. A sweeping amount of large sliding doors reveal themselves on the ground as missle launchers. They crane just right and fire into the atmosphere.


EXT. SPACE, INTIMIDATOR ADVANCE

The pulse cannon is drawing energy to itself once more as the swarm of Breakaway Missles approach. They then (predictably) break apart, blasting into the hull of the Intimidator and taking down a handful of capital ships and plenty of fighters that accompanied the warship and leaving 'wounds' on the Intimidator itself.


INT. INTIMIDATOR WARSHIP, BRIDGE

Fedos, Fedora, and Raphsidy stumble as the Intimidator shivers in a sustained manner. Fedos motions with his arm.


FEDOS
(CONT'D)
Cancel the attack! Get us away from here!

Raphsidy obeys.


EXT. SPACE, HEART OF BATTLE

The cadets respond to the latest happenings.


LANGDON
Yes!

JESSE
They got em!

Iris tries to bob and weave from an attacker.


IRIS
(stammering)
We're--not out of the woods yet. I'm being trailed hard.

LANGDON
Hang on, Iris. I'll save you.

Iris is being trailed by Illzar, who will not be denied. He scars her craft several times and she swears under her breath again.

She dips evasively toward the floor of space and then V-shapes her way upward, but he still follows. She banks towards the Academy and tries to lose him in the creases and crevices but he maintains pursuit.


ILLZAR
You will be mine.

Suddenly, laser blasts descend from above and destroys one of Illzar's wings beyond reparation. He seems taken at a loss at first, his craft spinning out of control, but then activates the escape pod built into the ship and flys in a little bubble of a craft, heading high and away from the chaos of battle and towards the saftey of Bulgata advance.


JESSE
Pestering Myrmidion scum; let’s see how he likes playing the victim.

IRIS
Thank you, Jesse. I almost died back there.

JESSE
Hey, don't mention it.

Suddenly, a nameless MALE CADET speaks through his helmet to anyone that will listen.


MALE CADET
The calvary has arrived! The calvary has arrived!

In one area of the distant blackness a contingent of fighters and cruisers can be seen jumping out of hyperspace and heading straight for the Bulgata, reinforcing Alpha Squadron. They are, of course, the Sigma Squadron reinforcements from Sordaan.

JESSE
Yee-haw!

LANGDON
Just in time.


INT. INTIMIDATOR WARSHIP, BRIDGE

Fedos and Fedora observe as the new arrivals pepper space. Fedora speaks to Raphsidy.


FEDORA
Can we sustain our offensive with these new pests in the equation?

Raphsidy stammers.


RAPHSIDY
(CONT'D)
I...I do not think that we can. We lost a lot of units to those blasted contraptions during the attack on the Intimidator, and this planet had a sizeable defense established as it is.

Fedora looks towards Fedos.


FEDORA
(CONT'D)
Well?

Fedos balls his fist and brings it to his face, seething.


FEDOS
(CONT'D)
We shall retreat for now. Give the command, Raphsidy.

RAPHSIDY
As you wish, my lord.

EXT. SPACE, VIEW OF RETREATING BULGATA

The Bulgata collectively pull away from Alpha Squadron, and enter hyperspace.

The celebration of the cadets is one of great joy, including several nameless cadets, whose faces we see.


JESSE
Woo-hoo!

MALE CADET
Yeah!

FEMALE CADET
Alright!

LANGDON
Thanks, Sigma. You guys showed up at just the right time.

The voice of someone in their mid thirties answers; a deep voiced MALE SOLDIER.


MALE SOLDIER
(O.S)
Anytime, Omega. An-ny-time.

Commander Stanfield speaks to the cadets.


COMMANDER STANFIELD
(O.S)
Good work, cadets. Report back to Alpha Squadron.

All of the crafts careen towards the Academy.


 

 

Go to part:2  3  4  5  6  7 

 

 

Copyright © 2008 Michael Harris
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"