The Dominion (1)
Melissa M Cook

 

1.

The following quote appears over a black screen.

"Rap is something you do, Hip-Hop is something you live." - KRS-One

fade in:

MAIN TITLE:

THE DOMINION

1993

EXT. aerial view of harlem - late evening

Poor Harlem. It's raining. The screen is grainy with a greenish hue, like it's being shot through a vintage camera. We hear the main music from WU TANG CLAN - TEARS, the music builds intensity. We see different shots of urban landscapes, shifting from freeways to graffiti writers to rooftops of buildings, subway trains, local drug dealers and gangs.

We see vehicles rushing by splashing water on pedestrians. It's mid-September and it's a bit chilly. AERIAL VIEW of a subway train.

int. subway train - late evening

Subway station is run down, ghetto. MEDIUM CLOSE UP of a YOUNG GIRL's sneakers and her leg shaking. The subway stops, she gets up and the doors open, we can't see her.

ext. harlem sidewalk - late evening

MID SHOT of YOUNG GIRL walking up the subway stairs, up and down in sync under a sweatshirt hood. Cars rushing by and prostitutes walking. EXTREME CLOSE UP of YOUNG GIRL's eyes as she's running, big brown wide eyed. We still can't see her. Head going in and out of the screen to the beat of the music. CUT-IN of the YOUNG GIRL sneakers running on the sidewalk.

She's rapping to herself as she runs across the street getting hit by a car, car SCREECHES, sounds of car horns HONKING. The YOUNG GIRL enters a back alley. Junkie's shooting up, ghetto, run down, graffiti scrawls, a light is hanging above a door flickering. EXTREME CLOSE UP of the YOUNG GIRL's hands opening the door knob. She walks down the hallway and down the two set of stairs, still unable to see her face. MAIN MUSIC FADES OUT. Can hear music bumping through the hallways.

INT. gooney's basement - NIGHT

CLOSE ON a YOUNG BOY's lips, taking a hit of a rolled joint, slowly blowing the smoke out. Music playing in the background (Jungle - drops). There's only but a few people in the room. CLOSE UP of SHARICE, 16 year old, BROWN SKINNED, YOUTHFUL LOOKING, hair worn in two really long FRENCH BRAIDS, NYC ACCENT. The YOUNG GIRL opens the door.

SHARICE (O.S.)

'Bout time you'd be here.

young girl

(rushing)

I know, I know. Heavy traffic.

Here for the first time, we see her, a TINY, YOUTHFUL, SHY, 15 year old RAMIRA MENENDEZ aka UNIQ. HALF BLACK and PUERTO RICAN, LONG, CURLY HAIR PULLED back in a PONYTAIL. RAMIRA throws her bookbag on the couch. Soaked from the rain, she takes her hoodie off.

GOONEY's BASEMENT is dimly lit with weed smoke filling the screen. RAMIRA gives everyone dap. RAMIRA sits next to SHARICE, they give each other hugs. EXTREME CLOSE UP of RAMIRA's hands grabbing her bookbag and taking out her notebook full of rhymes.

CUT TO:

int. APARTMENT hallway - night

Fight going down outside the door down the hallway. YOUNG MAN in his 20s hunched over smacking and punching an OLDER MAN in his 40s who is sitting against the hallway wall in a fetal position. They both look like broke bums, both CAUCASIAN.

YOUNG MAN

(yelling)

I told you to get the fuckin' money, bitch, can't fuckin' trust you!

OLDER MAN

(scream)

...n-no. I get it to ya...t-tommorow.

OLDER MAN is in agony and pain, crying, nose bleeding as he's falling over on the ground slump. No one seen in the hallway.

CUT BACK TO:

INT. gooney's basement - NIGHT

The gang hears the shouts and screams from outside. RAMIRA stands up.

(beat)

RAMIRA

(concerned)

Yo, what the hell was that?

SHARICE

Shit, I dunno.

CUT BACK TO:

INT. apartment HALLWAY - NIGHT

YOUNG MAN continues punching, he's breathing heavily. Throwing jabs left and right.

(beat)

Sounds of a door opening from far away. OLDER WOMAN opens door.

older woman (o.s)

(yelling)

The hell is goin' on down there?

YOUNG MAN flees fast down the hallway, leaving the OLDER MAN to lay on the ground.

CUT BACK TO:

INT. gooney's basement - NIGHT

EXTREME CLOSE UP of RAMIRA'S lips. She puts the microphone to them. Background music cuts off.

RAMIRA

Cut that off and drop the beat Goon.

GOONEY

Aight.

CLOSE ON A FREESTYLE
1. Very lyrical
2. Metaphors

GOONEY cuts the boombox off. GOONEY plays a beat on his MPC. GOONEY is a local emcee and an acquaintance of RAMIRA's. He has an NYC accent, TALL, SLIM, DARK SKINNED with SHORT DREADS, black bandana tied around his head.

GOONEY

That last lined killed it though.

SHARICE

Yea. Ya, rhymes got nice girl.

young kid

Yo, that line about the Cano Crew.

YOUNG KID shakes his head in disbelief, positive way.

RAMIRA

(passive)

Thanks.

(beat)

GOONEY

You need to start recordin' this shit though.

RAMIRA

Nah, I me--

SHARICE

You should, neva know what might happen happen.

GOONEY

I'm jus' sayin', word get around and boom--

SHARICE puts her arm around RAMIRA, fantasizing.

SHARICE

(interrupts)

We gon' be on tv, on stage, record deals and shit.

RAMIRA smiles and shakes her head. GOONEY and YOUNG KID laugh.

RAMIRA

Man ya'll crazy.

RAMIRA is setting up the equipment. She looks down being shy. She sits down with her notebook in her lap. GOONEY plays a beat that she made. The beat is street like, grungy, very 1990s.

RAMIRA

I dunno ya'll, I'ma leave that up to you Goons.

CLOSE UP of GOONEY'S face. He shoulder shrugs.

GOONEY

Yo, whateva man. Jus' sayin'.

RAMIRA

I ain't tryna get no record deal and all that, I ain't sellin' my soul to the devil.

RAMIRA does another freestyle.

RAMIRA is rapping about--
1. LADY EL - High School bully
2. Struggles growing up in poverty
3. Drug addicted mother

GOONEY shakes his head in disbelief.

GOONEY

(talking to Young Kid)

See what I'm sayin', she don't listen to me bruh. I keep tellin' her, you need to do it and show 'em whatchu got--

RAMIRA

(interrupts)

I just do it for fun ya'll, I ain't tryna do all that.

CLOSE UP of YOUNG KID.

RAMIRA (CONT)

Aye, what time is it?

SHARICE

11:15. Why?

RAMIRA

Shit, I gotta go!

Real worried look on Ramira's face, trembling, eyes big. GOONEY stops the beat on his MPC. She grabs her notebook and equipment, exits the door quickly. Everybody looks around confused.

EXT. harlem sidewalk - night

CLOSE ON of RAMIRA'S dirty Chuck Taylor's kicking up the water as she's running towards us on the sidewalk diagonally. Dodging pedestrians and wannabe rappers on the corner.

RAMIRA bumps into one of the pedestrians who is a LOCAL EMCEE. The LOCAL EMCEE flex's on RAMIRA surrounded by thugs and punks. The rain gets heavy and starts to pour.

LOCAL EMCEE (O.S.)

Aye, watch where the hell ya goin'!

RAMIRA doesn't notice and continues running and doesn't notice that she bumped into him, spinning almost getting hit by a car. Car honks.

INT. apartment building - night

RAMIRA walks in the dim lit hallway with smoke filling it. Sounds of music bumping throughout the hallways. POV of RAMIRA looking in the neighbors door. Old man sitting on the couch watching a program, drinking beer and in his wife beater.

CUTAWAY of an OLDER MAN standing outside his doorway smoking a cigarette. Graffiti scrawls on the walls, wallpaper peeling, very run down, ghetto and dirty. Sounds of police cars outside building. This is RAMIRA's apartment building. RAMIRA opens the door to her place.

INT. RAMIRA'S LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

CARMEN, late 30's woman, long brown hair, sitting in an arm chair rocking back and forth, cigarette smolders between her fingers. She's run down, wearing a sleep blouse. Her makeup is running, she's watching tv.

This is RAMIRA'S mom. Has the face of a drug addict. Ignoring the fact that RAMIRA exists coming in. CARMEN is watching tv as well, looks tired. Spanish/NYC accent. Unemployed, food stamps, welfare.

LIVING ROOM looks run down, clouds of cigarette smoke filling the air. Dishes filled in the sink, wallpaper peeling, untidy, ghetto. It's dark inside and RAMIRA turns on the light as she enters, throwing her bookbag on the floor.

RAMIRA goes into the fridge and grabs the juice carton out the fridge, realizing that the carton is empty.

RAMIRA

No juice.

CARMEN

Where you been?

RAMIRA is caught off guard by CARMEN, and wasn't expecting her to speak.

RAMIRA

Out.

CARMEN

Out where?

RAMIRA

(agitated)

Uh, with my friends.

carmen

(disgusted)

You and your friends.

RAMIRA

(agitated)

Mom, please, don't start!

CARMEN

(yelling)

I told you to be back home by 11, now I-I don't like you out late at night Ram --

RAMIRA

(interrupts)

Like you even give a shit! You don't care about me or what I do! You just sit around--

CARMEN

(interrupts)

I don't do shit? Who puts food in ya mouth, clothes on ya back huh?

CARMEN (o.s.)

(talking under breath)

Talkin' bout I just sit around, please!

RAMIRA

Well least I gotta job, you ain't even lookin', just depend on me to--

CARMEN gets up out of her arm chair fast and gets close to RAMIRA. CARMEN still has the cigarette between her fingers. The two are pressed and in each other's faces.

CARMEN

(yelling)

Don't, you raise your voice at me. I pay for the bills and do everything to support you!

RAMIRA

(yelling)

All you do is smoke them cancer sticks all day!

CARMEN raises her right hand wanting to slap RAMIRA down, her cigarette hits RAMIRA's sweater putting a burn in it.

RAMIRA

Shit!

RAMIRA tries wiping the ashes off. She stops herself tightening her lips. RAMIRA is close to CARMEN like their about to kiss.

(beat)

RAMIRA grabs her bookbag and heads to her room slamming the door. CARMEN stands there with tears coming down her face, shook, angry, dismantled.

INT. ramira's bedroom - night

CLOSE ON RAMIRA leaning against her bedroom door, head against it. Her eyes watery.

RAMIRA

(quietly)

So fuckin' sick a this.

Bedroom is dimly lit, messy, clothes on the floor, cassette tapes littering her dresser of her favorite rappers stacked up alongside a boombox. She kicks off her shoes and throws her bookbag on her bed. Weed shown on her dresser along with papers and other various items.

CLOSE ON a picture frame on her dresser of her and her boyfriend ENRIQUE. RAMIRA picks up the picture and looks at it. RAMIRA has a little smile on her face. She puts the frame down.

CUT-IN of RAMIRA's hands grabbing the cassette tape and the dial on her boombox. Music is being played outloud and it's (Nas - represent).

RAMIRA grabs her hairbrush and pretends she's on a stage in front of a large crowd. She's looking in the mirror, eyes intense. The lights are dim and you hear the music in the background. The music is a bit loud. CLOSE UP of her feet moving and hand waving back and forth. Sounds of banging on the floor. RAMIRA comes out of her world back to reality.

(beat)

neighbor downstairs (o.s.)

Hey, turn that shit down!

RAMIRA

(sigh)

Okay!

RAMIRA turns on her light, trips and falls on her cassette tapes near her floor she almost hits her head. She gets up and turns her boombox off and goes to lay on her bed hugging her pillow tight. She turns off her light.

fade to:

int. ramira's bedroom - morning

Beep. Beep. Beep. RAMIRA's hand touches alarm clock. It reads 7:00am. She pushes the covers back and yawns. MAIN MUSIC being played and it's Black Moon - who got da props?

RAMIRA's eyes are dazed. She hears a rock being thrown at her window. Window shot of SHARICE. RAMIRA has a smile on her face. They're both yelling.

SHARICE (O.S.)

Hey!

sharice

Aye, you comin' down or what?

RAMIRA

Yea, I'll be down in a minute. Gotta get dressed.

SHARICE

Aight, hurry up.

RAMIRA puts on her clothes quickly. Real gloomy outside.

int. bathroom - morning

RAMIRA at the sink washing up, brushing her teeth. She stares at herself looking in the mirror leaning over the sink, eyes are intense.

Bathroom is tiny, mirrors are dirty, toothpaste and brushes scattered around the sink.

CUT BACK TO:

INT. RAMIRA's BEDROOM - MORNING (CONT.)

RAMIRA grabs her jean jacket, sneakers and puts them both on. She grabs her notebook and puts it in her worn, tattered bookbag.

CUT TO:

INT. LIVING ROOM - MORNING

She grabs a banana off the counter and puts it in her bookbag. MAIN MUSIC fades out.

(beat)

She turns towards CARMEN's room and stares at the door. She walks toward the front door instead.

INT. apartment hallway - morning

RAMIRA walks into the half lit hallway of her run down apartment building. Hallway of some kids smoking weed. Bullet holes in the walls. There's a radio and sounds of a DJ being heard. Passing some kids playing dice on the floor with money. The kids are in their teens, mostly black, some white.

She runs right through them, accidentally kicking the dice and her foot gets caught on the radio cord, unplugging it and she's in a hurry not really paying attention. The kids moan and grumble.

young boy #1

The hell are ya doin'?

YOUNG BOY #2

You almost ran us ova!

(kids grumbling)

RAMIRA (O.s.)

(rushing)

Sorry 'bout that!

RAMIRA continues running down the hallway, down the stairs really fast, without looking back, trying to catch up with SHARICE.

EXT. ramira's apartment building - morning

It's gloomy. SHARICE and RAMIRA are facing each other, hugging and giving each other dap. RAMIRA is out of breath. Sounds of vehicles rushing by quickly.

SHARICE

Took you long enough. Was about to just bounce and leave.

POV of RAMIRA looking down at her dirty sneakers, doesn't make eye contact with SHARICE. SHARICE just stands there chewing her gum, waiting for a response.

(beat)

RAMIRA

(disappointed)

Yea, sorry 'bout that, it's just, got into it with my moms last night after I got home, just been trippin' lately.

SHARICE

Damn, sorry to hear that. Just keep ya head up aight. Always hear no matter what ok?

The sounds of a rap cipher fill the streets of Harlem, catching RAMIRA and SHARICE's attention, interrupting their conversation.

They look around wondering where the noise is coming from.

SHARICE

Yo, you hear that?

RAMIRA

Yea, let's see what it is.

SHARICE and RAMIRA continue walking down the sidewalk in a slow manner, towards the bus stop. WIDESHOT of a small crowd filling the bus stop area, with local underground emcee's in their teens and early 20s. Some of different ethnic backgrounds.

Two neighborhood emcee's are battling, going head to head. From the waist up, the first emcee is ROK-ONE, 19 YEARS OLD, MEDIUM BUILT, BLACK, TALL, wearing a BEANIE HAT, BOOTS unlaced and BAGGY CLOTHES.

From the waist up, the second emcee with a short haircut, WHITE, BAGGY CLOTHES 17 YEARS OLD, D. DAVE.

CLOSE ON A FREESTYLE BATTLE

ROK-ONE goes up to battle, does a 16 bar freestyle, he freestyles about D. Dave.
1. White
2. Short.
3. Lame.

The crowd is obnoxious as he kills his opponent with each bar and metaphor. D. DAVE goes up to battle, drops a 16 bar freestyle, he raps about ROK-ONE.

1. Ashy lips.
2. The way he's dressed.

He chokes half way through, the crowd then starts booing.

SHARICE whispers to RAMIRA.

SHARICE

(whispers)

The line about them ashy lips killed it.

(beat)

RAMIRA

(laughs)

I know.

CLOSE UP of RAMIRA's face, she looks stunned and nervous, she wants to freestyle so badly but her shyness is holding her back. The crowd is hyped up. The HOST snatches the mic from D. DAVE.

host

And it looks like the crowd is feelin' ROK-ONE from Brooklyn. Which means D. DAVE, you can sit on down and go back home because you got served today brotha!

The CROWD SHOUTS and HOLLERS. D. DAVE just shakes his head and goes into the crowd, embarrassed.

ROK-ONE

It's what I do is crush these niggas all day B.

HOST

Up next is-

SHARICE

(whispering)

Get in there.

SHARICE pushes RAMIRA into the cipher.

(beat)

RAMIRA

(whispering)

No! I can't! What're you doin'?

CROWD is staring and grumbling loud.

SHARICE

Gotta quit bein' a wuss.

(beat)

RAMIRA is pushed into ROK-ONE. She falls to the ground, landing on her butt. The crowd stops grumbling. ROK-ONE turns around, and kneels down to RAMIRA.

(beat)

ROK-ONE

What's up shorty? You wanna battle?

RAMIRA just sits there looking up at him, with her mouth wide open. She swallows hard. There isn't a sound from the crowd.

Camera panning the different people in the crowd, they have a stunned look on their faces.

ROK-ONE

Nobody wants to hear yo wack ass rap. You scrawny ass little girl, whatchu know 'bout them 16's huh? You wannabe Latifah. Ya'll lookin' like the run down version of Salt-n-Pepa.

The crowd laughs.

CLOSE ON RAMIRA's face, she's pissed, just staring at ROK-ONE, he's kneeling down on one knee. She looks like she wants to punch him.

SHARICE's face looks stunned. Eyebrows raised. Worried look, she tries to hold RAMIRA back. RAMIRA's body is stiff and hardened.

The mic is laying on the ground with a crack on the side. RAMIRA slowly gets up, wiping the debris off. She grabs her tattered, worn out bookbag. ROK-ONE gets up too, just staring at her, she's very embarrassed.

ROK-ONE

(laughing)

What ya'll wanna see me and Roxanne battle, Latifah, Lyte?

The crowd starts BOOING and pointing their thumbs down.

SHARICE puts her arm around RAMIRA's shoulder and proceeds to school.

The crowd grumbles and talks.

SHARICE

Aye, you aight?

(beat)

RAMIRA walks fast trying to get away from SHARICE. Face says she wants to fight.

SHARICE

It's cool, you'll get 'em next time. He wasn't all that anyway. Don't let them get to ya.

RAMIRA looks back at the crowd, standing there firm, wanting to go back and rip ROK-ONE to shreds.

SHARICE

(passive)

You okay?

(beat)

RAMIRA

(disappointed)

Why the fuck did you have to push me into the crowd?

SHARICE looks disappointed, shocked. A little surprised that RAMIRA called her out. RAMIRA walks away shaking her head.

(beat)

SHARICE

Was just tryna help you out!

fade to:

INT. public school hallway - late morning

RAMIRA standing at her locker, waist up, scurring to get her books together. Her locker door fully open. Hallway has only but a few people in it.

ENRIQUE CALDERONE, 17, RAMIRA's boyfriend, DARK BLACK HAIR, SPANISH, HANDSOME and TALL. Holding a basketball on his right hip, wearing the high school's basketball shirt that reads 'A. PHILLIP RANDOLPH BASKETBALL', hiding behind the locker.

He taps RAMIRA on the left shoulder fooling her, she turns to the left then right and sees him. She smiles and her eyes widen. RAMIRA and ENRIQUE hugging and kissing firmly as she stands on her tippy toes.

ENRIQUE

What's up buttercup?

RAMIRA

(softly)

Not much babe. How are you?

ENRIQUE

(softly)

Nuttin' much, been shootin' some hoops, wished you could be there to watch.

RAMIRA

Yea, me too. I kicked it with Sharice and them, came home, mom was bitchin' 'bout everything and--

ENRIQUE

(interrupting)

You should come to my game tonight, get the stress off ya mind. We're leading 4-1 and, uh, really appreciate it if you came, wouldn't mind seein' you be a cheerleader.

RAMIRA smiles.

ENRIQUE makes cheerleading movements. Disgusted written all over RAMIRA's face as she shakes her head. She looks around the school hallways. They're empty.

RAMIRA

(laughs)

I'ma poet, not a screamin' fan girl babe. Besides gotta help out afta school anyway. I'ma see if I can make it, gotta get--

ENRIQUE interrupts her again.

ENRIQUE

(offended)

Oh, I see, too busy, huh? Can't even kick it witH me anymore?

(beat)

RAMIRA

(agitated)(sigh)

What're you talkin' 'bout? Why you gotta say stupid shit like that? Of course I wanna kick it witchu'--

Bell rings.

RAMIRA (CONT)

I'm late for class, I'll talk to ya later!

ENRIQUE

Jus' sayin'.

RAMIRA slams the locker in ENRIQUE's face hard, almost biting his nose off.

ENRIQUE

Well, damn.

ENRIQUE, stands there with the basketball in his hands gripping it hard, standing there staring at RAMIRA as she walks away. ENRIQUE then turns his back shaking his head in disbelief.

int. english class - AFTERNOON

Kids grumbling and giggling boisterously loud, kids are being antics. Mix of white, black and Spanish kids. Throwing things at one another and joking. Classroom is run down, ghetto, papers on floor.

CLOSEON RAMIRA, holding her head low, writing in her notebook, sitting in the back right corner, minding her own business. She's in her own world, rapping to herself not realizing she's in school. A paper ball is thrown at her face, she looks up immediately.

There he stands, we see him for the first time. Visible from the waist up. ANGELO RIZZO, 17 YEARS OLD. RAMIRA's best friend since childhood. ITALIAN, VERY HANDSOME, DIMPLES, ATHLETIC/SLIM BUILT, with a YOUTHFUL look. SHORT, DARK, WAVY BLACK HAIR. He's holding his books to his side.

RAMIRA's, eyes widen with a smile on her face. ANGELO sits in the seat next to her and taps her on her left arm. He has an NYC accent.

ANGELO

(joking)

Hey if you look at the notebook too long ya eyes'll turn to mush.

RAMIRA

(joking)

If you quit spinnin' them turntables, ya hands will turn to mush.

They both laugh, blushing.

ANGELO

I see you got jokes!

RAMIRA just stares at ANGELO and smiles, looks down in embarrassment.

RAMIRA

So how you been bigtime?

ANGELO

(sigh)

Not too much, gotta a little show comin' up this weekend.

RAMIRA

That's what's up.

ANGELO

But, how's uh- you oh boy?

RAMIRA

(sigh)

He cool, Enrique bein' Enrique. You know how he is.

ANGELO

Yea.

A round white man, walking into classroom with a quick stride, arms swinging by his side. WHITE HAIR on the sides of his head and BALD at the top.

The English teacher, MR. CARTER, comes in yelling. RAMIRA and ANGELO, quickly quiet down.

Mr. CARTER

Alright! Class, would you please turn to page 11 in your textbooks?

Some punk kids laughing, giggling fill the air. MALE STUDENT #1 is caught throwing a paper ball.

MR. CARTER

HEY! Boys in the back! Enough is enough! Do I make myself clear?

MALE STUDENT #1

Aight! Aight! Sorry Mista Carta.

STUDENTS in the classroom are snickering.

MALE STUDENT #1

(to himself)

Bitch ass!

CLOSE UP of a FEMALE STUDENT #1. MALE STUDENT #2 spilling her nail polish on her.

FEMALE STUDENT #1

SHIT! Mista Carta! He just spilled nail polish on me!

FEMALE STUDENT #1 is wiping all the red nail polish off. MALE STUDENT #1 and #2 are laughing hard.

MR. CARTER

Guys! What the hell did I just say? I want to see you boys after class, giving you detention for disruption.

(beat)

FEMALE STUDENT #1

Stupid niggas!

MR. CARTER

And what're you doin' with nail polish in my class?

FEMALE STUDENT #1

Sorry Mista Carta, won't happen again.

FEMALE STUDENT #1 has a disgusted look on her face as she pops her gum. The whole class laughs and giggles. WIDE SHOT of the class taking their books out as the teacher writes on the chalk board shaking his head.

MR. CARTER

Now shut up and open your textbooks to page 11.

INT. school hallway - late afternoon

RAMIRA and ANGELO stand in the hallway. The hallways are almost empty, with everyone rushing to get home.

RAMIRA and ANGELO talk as they hold their books. Both smiling and blushing. They're both nervous.

Angelo

(softly)

So I guess I'll talk to you later then, I'll call ya tonight or somethin'.

RAMIRA

(softly)

Yea. I can't wait to-

Group of punk kids running through the hallway. One of them accidentally bumps into RAMIRA and knocks all her books down.

boy #1 (o.s)

(yelling)

SORRY!

RAMIRA kneels down to pick up her books. ANGELO kneels down to help her out, they both bump heads, blushing, and stand back up, rubbing their heads.

RAMIRA

Well, as I was sayin', I'll see ya later and maybe we can hang out tonight or somethin'.

ANGELO

Yea, I forgot to mention the battle is in Big Kane's basement.

RAMIRA

Big Kane?

ANGELO

He's this big dude who stands outside all the time with his gut hanging out, can't miss him.

RAMIRA

Ah, I see, can't wait though.

ANGELO

Don't forget the game tonight.

RAMIRA

Right, right!

RAMIRA and ANGELO both hug firmly. ANGELO walks down the hallway to the exit door. RAMIRA just standS there staring at ANGELO, she's smiling and blushing.

int. girls bathroom - continued

Scene is greenish and hazy. RAMIRA walks into the bathroom. She's the only one in there dead quiet. She's rapping to herself, as she's setting her books down on the ledge. Graffiti scrawls on the walls and profane language written on the mirrors. Toilet paper on the floor and is run down.

CUT-IN of her washing her hands, walks over to dry them off. Her back is turned towards the door, we hear loud footsteps of people walking in.

female student #2

Yo whassup youngblood?

OVER THE SHOULDER shot of RAMIRA as she has her back still turned. She is shook and frightened caught off guard and stops rapping. She slowly turns around, and there she stands with one person on each side.

THREE SHOT MEDIUM of TAMARA JENKINS bka LADY EL and her two sidekicks. All three are known as the CANO CREW. LADY EL towers over RAMIRA. LADY EL is 18 YEARS OLD, STOCKY, JAMAICAN descent, not very pleasent looking. LADY EL has a subtle accent.

LADY EL's CANO CREW, which mainly consists of two other girls, one standing on each side of her. Both names of the girls are JAZZY O and CHANELLE FOXX. Both girls are shorter than LADY EL, but they too are taller than RAMIRA. Both girls have mean looks, displeasing and intimidating. Both girls are chewing their gum nonchalantly, looking at RAMIRA up and down. They all look like they want to start something.

All three of them are nothing but hoodrats. CHANELLE FOXX has a gold tooth.

RAMIRA's face is stern, eyes widened, heartbeating fast and sweating, scared look on her face, her eyes are really intense and big.

CUT-IN of RAMIRA's hands, they are shaking and sweaty.

LADY EL and her crew back RAMIRA into the wall.

LADY EL

(taunting)

Lookin' like a damn fool witcha hand me down clothes and beat up sneaks, lookin' all bummy 'n shit!

LADY EL and her CANO CREW laugh and giggle. RAMIRA still standing there shook and scared, she doesn't say anything.

LADY EL

What? You scared. Say somethin' bitch!

LADY EL hits the wall that RAMIRA is leaning against, scaring her even more.

chanelle foxx

Fuck her! Let's just get outta here! Waistin' our damn time!

The CANO CREW leaves, walking out slowly while mumbling. CLOSE UP of RAMIRA looking stunned and shocked. She's breathing heavily, in fear of her life.

fade to:

EXT. ramira's job - evening

WEATHER SHOT of the city, time lapse of the sun setting. RAMIRA at her part time job, working at a family owned business, outside grocer stand that sells fruits and vegetables. Background music being played and it's (De La Soul - breakadawn).

She stands behind the counter, stocking the baskets and rapping to herself.

A display of different produce. It's crisp outside. Different views of locals gathering to buy various types of produce. Sounds of kids playing in the streets and trains rushing by. Typical Harlem day. RAMIRA's running down the corrupted sidewalk.

jimmy

Ya late again Miss Menendez!

RAMIRA

I know, I know, wasn't my fault.

JIMMY is the manager there, tall older white guy. He walks away shaking his head.

JIMMY

This is the second time this week!

RAMIRA

Won't happen again.

A coworker named JASON overhears RAMIRA talking to herself. JASON taps her on the arm.

RAMIRA

Damn, he's always giving me shit!

jason

If you was on time, then maybe he--

RAMIRA

(interrupts)

I mean, it's just the second time I ever did it.

JASON

(whispers)

In the same week though. You know how Jimmy is.

RAMIRA rummages to get her work clothes on and gloves.

(beat)

RAMIRA

Yea, always complainin' 'bout somethin', gotta stick up his ass.

RAMIRA (CONT)

I really need some extra hours man.

old lady

Um, excuse me!

RAMIRA takes a quick glance and realizes the line is long.

RAMIRA

Oh shit.

JASON stands there laughing.

 

 

Go to part:2  3  4  5  6 

 

 

Copyright © 2013 Melissa M Cook
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"