Reiki Questions And Answers
Reverend Dr Lance

 

The following is presented for Informational or Educational purposes only.

Question: Is Reiki a religion?
 
Answer: No, Reiki (pronounced "Ray-Key") is not a religion per se, though it is certainly associated with spirituality and spiritual matters since the energy comes from God. Reiki does not belong to any one religion but is practiced throughout the world today by those of many different religions. Reiki has also been called a "Spiritual Healing Art".
 
Q: Where does Reiki come from?
 
A: Reiki is a Spiritual Energy that comes from God, thus considered sacred. Reiki is theonomous. The life energy that God gives everyone at birth and throughout their life is called "ki" in Japanese and is basically the sustaining energy of life that keeps us alive.
 
Q: Where did Reiki originate?
 
A: Reiki, as a System, has been in existence for over 2,500 years dating back to around the time of Christ. This spiritual energy system had become lost throughout the centuries until a Japanese Christian scholar named Dr. Mikao Usui, rediscovered it in the late 1800's in Japan. His System is called "The Usui System". The energy itself is from God and has existed as long as God has granted it.
 
Q: What are some highlights from the History of Reiki?
 
A: Dr. Mikao Usui, a Japanese Christian scholar, was teaching at an all-male university in Japan, when his students asked him if he knew how Jesus Christ healed. This question struck Dr. Usui so profoundly that he answered he did not know and immediately resigned his position as a teacher and set out to find the answer. His search took many years, taking him to America where he studied at a university and he also studied with Buddhists and other people in search of pertinent information. His search led to a great spiritual experience on Mt. Kuri Yama in Japan. Dr. Usui stayed there for 21 days and on the last day he saw a bright white light descending from the sky and heading right towards him. He had been searching for many years for the answer to his students' question and felt like running as he saw the light approaching but decided to stay to see if this might be the answer he was seeking. The light hit Dr. Usui in the middle of the forehead and knocked him unconscious. Upon reawakening, he saw different colored bubbles containing the keys to healing. He was told by Spirit to embrace these keys, to learn them and to never forget them and to never allow them to become lost again.
 
This great experience initiated Dr. Usui into all three of the Usui Reiki degrees immediately. In Usui Shiki Ryoho, he is known as the Grandmaster of Reiki. Dr. Usui was able to perform many works for people throughout the years and was well-known and respected in his community. He initiated 16 Reiki Teachers and passed Reiki on to Dr. Chujiro Hayashi who is credited with developing the hand positions used in Reiki and he, in turn and before making his transition, passed Reiki on to a woman named Hawayo Takata. Rev. Mrs. Takata brought Reiki to The West and it is in use here as well as in virtually all other countries throughout the world. Reverend Mrs. Takata called Dr. Usui's System, which is The Usui System, "Usui Shiki Ryoho". She also never forgot to Thank *God* for the energy and for any healing or transformations that would occur.
 
Q: What is done when one goes for Reiki?
 
A: Reiki is performed with a light laying-on-of-hands by the Reiki Master or practitioner. The recipient of Reiki remains fully clothed except perhaps for the shoes. The hands are lightly placed over several chakra points in the body or in the aura of the recipient. The hands are held well above the private areas of the body or any other area that the recipient does not wish to have done. The Reiki Instructor or Practitioner is a spiritual person that should possess high ideals coupled with honesty, decency, professionalism and integrity. Though not entirely necessary, soft, light music may be played as Reiki is being channeled. The Reiki Instructor or practitioner merely 'channels' the energy that comes from God. They completely step aside and let The Holy Spirit take over to effect any changes that might need to be made. If there are any results, they are due to God's direction and not to any doings of the Reiki Instructor or practitioner.
 
Q: How many degrees are there in Usui Reiki?
 
A: There are three Degrees. The First Degree entails the connection to the energy and teaches the basic light laying-on-of-hands positions. The Second Degree teaches the usage of the special Symbols and augments First Degree energy. The Third Degree is the Reiki Master~Teacher Degree taught to those who are ready for this grand undertaking which is truly for a lifetime. The special Master Symbol, the last Symbol in The Usui System, Usui Shiki Ryoho, is also given to the new Reiki Instructor.
 
Q: I have heard of "Symbols" being used in Reiki. How does that work?
 
A: In Usui Reiki (The Usui System - Usui Shiki Ryoho), there are three Symbols that are taught and used in the Second Degree. One Symbol is for increased energy. Another is used for distant energy work (by absentia, where the recipient is not present). The third Symbol is used for emotional/mental connection to certain situations. According to tradition, the Symbols are kept confidential until ready to be introduced to the Second Degree student by the Reiki Master. As a general teaching, the Symbols are not shown to people who are mere curiosity seekers and who may not respect the integrity of Reiki. The Symbols are special energy tools and do not have any power of and by themselves but that which is given by God for a special usage/purpose. The Symbols, when properly used by a Reiki Instructor or Second Degree Practitioner triggers the specially encoded information in each one that, as stated previously, can be used for special purposes as is determined by the Master or practitioner.
 
Q: How is Reiki learned? How long is a Reiki session or exchange?
 
A: Reiki is learned by *personally* attending a Reiki class taught by a qualified, certified Reiki Master~Teacher. The length of time it takes to learn Reiki depends entirely upon the size of the class and the individual student's ability to grasp the information to the satisfaction of the Reiki teacher (Master). Reiki is different from all other complementary or alternative energy modalities in that the initiate must be given an initiation. This initiation is sometimes also called an "attunement" to Reiki. Reiki *cannot* be learned by merely reading books on the subject or by listening to tapes or viewing films about it. The serious student must take the time to actually Study Reiki and then become Initiated into it by a qualified, certified Reiki Master~Teacher. And once initiated into Reiki, through the First Degree, it is for life!
 
The length of a Reiki exchange depends on the Degree the practitioner has. If you are receiving Reiki from a First Degree Practitioner, the exchange may take anywhere from one hour to one and a half hours duration. This is due to the practitioner lightly laying his or her hands on several areas (excepting the private body areas such as breasts, buttocks and genitals and any other areas where the recipient may feel uncomfortable and where it would be inappropriate to touch, where the Master or practitioner holds their hands well above those areas) for about three to five minutes in each area. With a Second Degree Usui Reiki Practitioner, the length of time is considerably smaller. Reiki can be done using the light laying-on-of-hands for a couple of minutes on each area. When Reiki is done by absentia (sent through time and space) by a Second Degree Reiki Practitioner or Instructor, the time involved is generally no more than 15 minutes. It can be done on three or four consecutive days or three times a day, depending on the situation.
 
Q: Does Reiki guarantee results?
 
A: No, Reiki cannot guarantee any results at any time simply because the energy comes from God who is in Full Control of the situation and who knows just what is to transpire in each and every situation which is unique. The Reiki Instructor or Practitioner, again, simply steps aside and allows God to take over as He so directs. The Instructor or practitioner's hands merely 'channel' the Reiki energy to the recipient and that is why no results can ever be guaranteed.
 
Q: I have heard that the hands of the Reiki instructor or practitioner get hot during Reiki work. Why is this so?
 
A: Actually, not all master's (teachers) or practitioner's hands get hot during Reiki work. They can feel warm or even cool or tingly sometimes, or at times, nothing will be felt. When their hands feel 'hot' what actually causes that is the action of the recipient's cells "drawing in" the Reiki energy. That is one way that some can sense that the energy is being run though it does even without this "tell tale" sign. The recipient draws in only as much Reiki as is needed at that particular time and they always have the free-will choice to accept, reject or just observe the energy.
 
Q: Is Reiki like massage?
 
A: No, Reiki is NOT like massage. Reiki does not manipulate the skin or tissue and does not use oils or lotions on the body nor is the recipient asked to remove their clothes, like massage, except perhaps, for the shoes. Reiki can also be sent at a distance by Second Degree Practitioners and Instructors. It would appear to be next to impossible to duplicate that effort with massage. Some states have unfortunately grouped Reiki with massage however, and it is important to first check with your state to see if there are any laws regulating Reiki to be sure you are in compliance with the law.
 
Q: Is Reiki the practice of medicine?
 
A: No, Reiki is NOT the practice of medicine nor of veterinary medicine. The Reiki Instructor or practitioner does not diagnose, heal, treat, cure, nor do they prevent disease or prescribe medicine unless they also happen to be licensed medical doctors or other licensed health professionals to include psychotherapists, etc. authorized by the state to practice what is legally granted to them under the purview of their license. Reiki is Spiritual energy from God. It is *not* the practice of medicine.
 
Q: How many Reiki Instructors or practitioners are there worldwide?
 
A: It is estimated that there are millions of Reiki practitioners worldwide and several hundred thousand Reiki Masters. This estimate may actually have changed(higher)at the present time due to many people being drawn to learn Reiki and who are being initiated into it and then going on to further studies and actually teaching it. There are many people from the clergy, priests, ministers, sisters, nuns, as well as doctors and even non-professionals who are learning and teaching Reiki today!
 
Q: Are there other Systems of Reiki besides Usui Reiki or as it is also known by the name "The Usui System" or "Usui Shiki Ryoho"?
 
A: Yes, there are many different Systems of Reiki today, developed with their own unique teachings. There is also an Eastern version as well as the Western version of Reiki. The Western version is "Usui Shiki Ryoho", named by Rev. Mrs. Takata, a Grandmaster, who is third in the Reiki spiritual lineage of Dr. Usui, that follows his historically spiritual teachings.
 
(c) 2008-2013 Reverend Dr. Lance
All rights reserved.

      
      
      
      
      
      
      
      
      

 

 

Copyright © 2013 Reverend Dr Lance
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"